Author Topic: Symphony X - Iconoclast (June 17th)  (Read 32128 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Symphony X - Iconoclast (June 17th)
« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
I listened to the new album a lot in the last week...

As I thought, the album didn't really work for me. Too much metal, not enough prog. Simple as that. All songs are good, but very few of them really impressed me - not a good sign when it comes to such a band.

The only ones that really stood out: When all is lost, Prometheus and the title track.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »
I can't stop listening to Symphony X the past few days.  Sometimes I feel like their music is so perfect -- every note, every inflection of russell's voice, every tempo.  I'm listening to Iconoclast now.  "When All is Lost," just damn, everything about that song is total perfection.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2013, 01:27:10 AM »
I can't stop listening to Symphony X the past few days.  Sometimes I feel like their music is so perfect -- every note, every inflection of russell's voice, every tempo.  I'm listening to Iconoclast now.  "When All is Lost," just damn, everything about that song is total perfection.
Welcome to SyX!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2013, 07:07:47 AM »
Good news Mebert!  Symphony X has 5 albums better than Iconoclast!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2013, 07:19:51 AM »
Good for you!  :tup I have those moments sometimes when you just realize how awesome a certain band is, you have known and listen to them for a long time but one day you listen to them in a slightly diffrent way and discovers a new layer of deepness to their music.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2013, 07:29:21 AM »

Absolute truth

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:10 AM »

Absolute truth
thisthisthisthis

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
Yeah, I think you could throw a dart at a list of SymX albums and hit one that's better than Iconoclast pretty much every time you miss Iconoclast.

But that's just because I prefer the more prog side of SymX.....the problem with Iconoclast is it just sounds like one, big long endless metal tune with Russell Allen gargling with sand and glass over a bunch of rehashed riffs and pinch harmonics.

If that sounds harsh, it's because it's meant to  :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
Dumb question, but does SX ever mix acoustic tunes into their albums?  Like DT's "Silent Man" on Awake, for example.  I've only listened to the past four SX albums and they are all pretty much a nonstop metal assault on my ears, except the piano intros to the songs "Paradise Lost" and "When All is Lost."

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with a nonstop metal assault!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:56:54 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »
Not really Mebert.  Divine Wings of Tragedy and V would probably be the albums that have some of their softer more melodic songs, but nothing acoustic as far as I remember.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: February 01, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »
I can't think of a single acoustic only tune on any of their albums.   But yeah, lots more melodic stuff in their older albums prior to The Odyssey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »
In terms of melodic songs, I also wouldn't rule out The Odyssey.  I think Accolade II and Awakenings definitely qualify.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »
Quick question about music. How do you say that a song is a "melodic song"? I see that description a lot. Aren't all songs that have a sing-along-able part "melodic"? And how do you say one song is more melodic than another? srs question
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
Quick question about music. How do you say that a song is a "melodic song"? I see that description a lot. Aren't all songs that have a sing-along-able part "melodic"? And how do you say one song is more melodic than another? srs question

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #329 on: February 01, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
I tend to associate it with songs that have clean vocals that aren't barked, grunted, screamed, spoken, etc.  But I could also use the term to describe music that has a clear "melodic" line of notes coming from the instruments as opposed to something more rhythmically driven like chugging guitars, repeated chords, etc.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »

:rollin

Oh, to make my post more relevant, uh...Symphony X is good, but a little of their material goes a long way for me. I like songs in the vein of the Accolades the best.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline emtee

« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »
I own all their albums and enjoy Iconoclast very much. Full of excellent riffs and energy.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #332 on: February 27, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »
February 27, 2013
World Management and Symphony X must unfortunately announce that last week, Jason Rullo was admitted to the hospital for heart failure. Jason spent a week in the hospital, and was released last week; he has started a rehab program, and has been told that his recovery will take a minimum of 3-6 months under doctors’ care. We are all hopeful that J will be back soon!

A note from Jason:

“I would just like to say that I am happy to be home with my family after what was quite a week. We had a few scary days in there but I made it through what was hopefully the worst of it.

Doctors say I have a very good chance for a full recovery so I plan to be back at 100% even if it takes awhile. I will go through cardiac rehab so I can be monitored while returning to form, so that I’ll know when it’s safe for me to return to drumming the way I always have, if not better.

Thanks to my friends and family for the support, and to the fans, I love you all!” JR

Glad he pulled through.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Go Jason!  :heart

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
Get Well!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: February 27, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »
Damn that sucks.  Sounds like he is in good spirits, but that's a hell of a thing to go through, hopefully a quick recovery.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.