Author Topic: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 107143 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Protest The Hero Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #700 on: April 02, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »
Has anything changed with that? That's been the case for the last couple of months as far as I'm aware...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #701 on: April 02, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
He missed the early part of the tour due to commitments to a play he was working on. He had come back to tour with them again for the latest dates but something changed for him to leave now and them to release this statement...

Honestly I have been really wondering if their hearts are in it anymore. Rody has talked for a long time of somewhat being disinterested in heavy music (country ugh) and Arif has long been involved in other types of projects that didn't involve the type of music Protest has done. They've alluded to their lack of fire compared to the early albums due to being young and their social stances they had and I guess the music industy has jaded them (their last two albums have had lyrics regarding that).

They've had times before when the other members have left most recently Moe, and I think Tim might have had a stretch where he was out too? It's sad now that they have had such a strong show of support from the fans to get this last album out with the indiegogo kickstarter and they're slowly falling apart.

I actually was kind of disappointed in Volition. I've loved everything they did up till the latest. TO ME, there really just seemed to be something missing on the whole. Maybe it's just me viewing it from a stance that seems that they don't have the interest in the music they're performing? I'll try to come back to it again for sure and see what I think later.

The band is gonna miss Arif whether he's out full-time or just on the road....

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #702 on: April 02, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
Volition just felt like running through the motions, and the most exciting moments were guest contributions.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #703 on: April 03, 2014, 02:21:50 AM »
Wat. After Scurrilous which felt pretty darn meh, this was a big return to form. I still hold Fortress as their best though.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #704 on: April 03, 2014, 08:47:52 AM »
I think Scurillous and Volition are their best albums, easily. Fortress is also a lot of fun, but not as consistent, and Kezia is decent but less my thing. So I definitely don't agree that their hearts aren't in it anymore, at least from the quality of the music.

Lengthy touring schedules is a different matter, I'd never want to do that myself so I can totally understand why musicians get sick of it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #705 on: August 08, 2014, 05:33:14 AM »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #706 on: October 07, 2015, 06:15:33 AM »
Kinda late here, but I found out Protest the Hero yesterday through the reddits, started out with Volition and now working my way through the older albums, my gosh, I'm in love with this band, this fast-paced style is really something I've been missing!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #707 on: October 07, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
Yeah they have a really special frantic energy and pace to them, that makes them really fun and entertaining to listen to. They accomplish in a 4 minute song what a lot of other prog bands do in a 15 minute song, and they tend to go through a barrage of riffs and ideas. Just a lot of fun, and I would imagine people with ADHD should find their music "pleasing".  :P

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #708 on: October 07, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »
I finally received my vinyl copy of Kezia a few weeks ago. Very slickly pressed.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #709 on: October 07, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »
a little surprised Zan found Scurrilous "meh" and prefers Volition; Fortress barely edges Scurrilous for me, but both are a good ways ahead of Volition (though 'Mist' could rank up with my absolute favourites).

curious if they're working on a new record.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #710 on: October 07, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »
I'd say Volition and Fortress are amazing whereas Kezia and Scurrilous are more to the "good but not great" side. There's some gems on both, but not albums I return to very often. I know people love Kezia, but IMO they matured more with Fortress and it's a more "solid" album.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #711 on: October 07, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »
Currently Clarity, Mist and Skies are probably my favorites, I've only listened to Scurrilous once and haven't really checked the separate songs, but Clarity just hooked me right away, especially the vocalist.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #712 on: October 08, 2015, 12:12:02 AM »
they play three hours away next month.
i'm not sure whether or not to journey it up; i'm not huge on Kezia, and I think they're focusing on it for the 10 year anni or some isht.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #713 on: October 17, 2015, 04:44:42 AM »
So PtH is currently using a very interesting way of releasing the new album, they're planning to release a song from the new album every month (on the 15th), but only to the people who invest in a 12 dollar/month subscription to support them. Their first release 'Ragged Tooth' was released yesterday, I haven't done this yet but I might consider it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #714 on: October 17, 2015, 05:01:02 AM »
The whole idea just feels really uninteresting. I'd rather take the 6 song-EP right away and pay full price, and the idea of releasing 1 song every month just feels pretty underwhelming. I guess I'll have 6 songs to listen to in 6 months (as an EP), but listening to individual tracks one by one.. meh.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #715 on: October 17, 2015, 05:11:59 AM »
Yeah the downside is by the time the second trac comes out, you've had a whole month to listen to the first one and it might get old pretty quickly, although having 6 months without any content might be less exciting imo. The obvious best option non-financial wise would be to release it six months later without mentioning it, because Volition is not even that old, I don't think anyone would be bothered by that.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #716 on: October 17, 2015, 06:17:56 AM »
So, this means that in order to get the 6 song EP you have to pay 72 Dollar?

EDIT: Isn't it 12 Dollar for ONE YEAR rather than a month?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #717 on: October 17, 2015, 06:51:40 AM »
Yes, 12 a year I'm sorry.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #718 on: October 17, 2015, 07:09:10 AM »
And then do you get a permanent copy at the end or do you still have to buy it afterwards?

Sounds like a pretty meh idea.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #719 on: October 17, 2015, 07:15:14 AM »
And then do you get a permanent copy at the end or do you still have to buy it afterwards?

Sounds like a pretty meh idea.
They release the songs on a certain app from which you can download them, it's a pretty flawed idea and I'm pretty sure you don't even get the copy when it's finally released. Volition was also funded by their fans, but you gotta question what makes them do this other than just financial issues.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #720 on: October 17, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »
Volition was standard crowd-funding though, which works well (and indeed worked well on that occasion). You donate in advance, but you still get a copy of the album. This new model seems a bit weird.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #721 on: October 17, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »
It's for people who don't want physical releases.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #722 on: October 17, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
Physical copies are basically the only reason I purchase albums, I personally never buy an album if I never heard and loved the songs on it before, so this one I'll probably sit out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #723 on: October 17, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
yeah i'm just gonna wait for a CD tyvm  :lol

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #724 on: October 20, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »
I musta missed something, cuz I didn't get the impression a physical copy would be released.

ya, i'm not huge on the idea either...but I love the video they did for it (the crowd funding video they did before Volition was also a gooder).
...they put more work into these videos than a lot of bands put into their tuneage.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #725 on: October 20, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
I get that $12 isn't really that much in the long run, but there's no way I'm paying $12 for 6 songs which I can't even get on a physical release(at least for the next 6 damn months).

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #726 on: October 20, 2015, 05:44:14 PM »
I musta missed something, cuz I didn't get the impression a physical copy would be released.

ya, i'm not huge on the idea either...but I love the video they did for it (the crowd funding video they did before Volition was also a gooder).
...they put more work into these videos than a lot of bands put into their tuneage.
Didn't think about that, so if that's the case, they don't allow people to legally get access to an EP they bring out unless you pay 12$ to download it through some streaming app? That's lame.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #727 on: October 20, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
$12 for a 6-track digital EP is pretty much a ripoff when you can get full digital albums cheaper than that

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #728 on: October 20, 2015, 10:37:11 PM »
Heard the song and it's pretty good, but I think I'll wait until a CD is out or it's up on Spotify.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #729 on: October 21, 2015, 12:04:08 AM »
Got my email about it and it's not as bad as it sounded actually.

It's a song per month set up where you pay a one time fee and get a brand new song every month for the next six months - music that you can download and stream forever, even when the subscription term ends.

For the $12 one-time cost, you get each month:

-  The Monthly Song
  -  An exclusive instrumental mix of the song
  -  The song's dedicated high-resolution artwork, lyrics, and liner notes.
  -  Access to Subscriber-Only Area (aka Fan Community), where we'll be uploading exclusive goodies like full music scores, video playthroughs, music videos, subscriber-only merch, and lots of other treats.

So it's basically the same as the lowest perks from a usual crowd-fundin situation, the only difference being the monthly thing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #730 on: February 26, 2016, 07:54:09 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/protestthehero/photos/a.425927581146.220612.11662966146/10153876157016147/?type=3&theater
A couple of EU tour dates have been announced on the PtH facebook (more dates coming soon), along with Between the Buried and Me.

Guess I'm going to have to check out more BtBaM, this is going to be awesome.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #731 on: February 26, 2016, 08:11:25 AM »
I hope they expand upon those dates and come to my city. BTBAM is probably my favorite prog metal band, and PtH are really great, so it would be a nice package.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #732 on: March 01, 2016, 11:46:19 PM »
So did anyone else sign up for the album thing? I did and I have to say I'm unfortunately sort of underwhelmed with the releases. Sorta PtH-by-numbers IMO.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #733 on: March 02, 2016, 12:07:46 AM »
i'm not surprised, PtH has never really been a band to progress their sound. Kezia is probably the most experimental of any of their albums, even though I do like Scurrilous a lot too I will admit it's more "normal" than any of their other albums

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #734 on: March 02, 2016, 12:31:36 AM »
Kezia was my favourite until Volition, which I think was a really outstanding album. There's a lot more variation there, especially with songs like Mist or Skies.

I just feel like all of the songs they've released through this thing so far have been sorta middle of the road safe PtH songs. There's shredding and technical drumwork, Rody alternates screams and melodic vocals. *shrug*

...my name is Araragi.