Author Topic: Pearl Jam Thread  (Read 3894 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pearl Jam Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2022, 05:46:40 PM »
Very good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2022, 09:57:50 PM »
I remember the first time I heard Black, the local radio station would play two new songs every night and take call in votes on which of the two to keep in the contest. Black kept winning and winning. Always loved the "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life" line.

Pearl Jam are easily my favorite of the Seattle grunge bands, and I have most of their albums, but I don't listen to them all that often these days. One of those things I expect to come around again at some point, but they did sort of connect with me more back when I was younger than they do these days.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 10:34:02 PM by HOF »

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2022, 05:46:34 AM »
I've always loved PJ, but I did feel they were on a downward slide after Yield - I was still buying the albums as they came out, but enjoying them less and less. I thought the Avocado album was particularly weak.
Then came Backspacer - I loved it, a stunning return to form! I'm constantly surprised at why this one is so hated by the fanbase, it's a great reason why you should always listen to music on your own terms without prejudice and ignore the popular consensus on the internet.

I was really looking forward to seeing Pearl Jam in London's Hyde Park back in 2020 - PJ are always great value live, and I've not been to a big outdoor show for... longer than I care to remember. The show was cancelled, of course, but is back on for this July, and somehow after 2 years of lockdowns and breakdowns I find myself feeling old, and the idea of standing in Hyde Park to see a band - any band - is something I have no desire to do. Fucking pandemic.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline HOF

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2022, 06:42:01 AM »
Feel the same way about their output after Yield, and I also thought Backspacer was a great comeback album. For whatever reason though, I’ve never checked out the last two.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2022, 07:38:21 AM »
I remember the first time I heard Black, the local radio station would play two new songs every night and take call in votes on which of the two to keep in the contest. Black kept winning and winning. Always loved the "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life" line.

Pearl Jam are easily my favorite of the Seattle grunge bands, and I have most of their albums, but I don't listen to them all that often these days. One of those things I expect to come around again at some point, but they did sort of connect with me more back when I was younger than they do these days.

Haha, I think we must've talked about this at one point or another; one of my favorite lines of all time.  Now, is it "sun" or "star"?   Haha.

For me, Pearl Jam is one of the more perplexing bands on the planet.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Stone Gossard version of the band.  I'm not all that keen on the Eddie Vedder version (watch "20" if you don't know what I mean).   On paper, PJ is that hot girl that takes AWESOME photos, but in person just doesn't do much for you.   I want to like them so much; they play long sets, they can and do play any song at any time, they are acolytes of The Who yet their guitar player is in a UFO Tribute Band, their singer can basically sing ANYTHING.   But...  there's something about them that rubs me the wrong way and I don't quite know what it is.  For a long time I thought it was that sort of faux humility that Eddie has, and that's still a turn off, but it's more than that.

I saw Temple Of The Dog - basically the current PJ but with Chris Cornell singing, and it was A-MAZING.  What a band; they did "Achilles Last Stand" in Madison Square Garden, and even Chris recognized the moment, as after the song he said "I can't fucking believe we just played THAT song in THIS building" (Zep played MSG more than any other venue, except MAYBE the LA Forum).  That's what PJ should be, except every time I see them (I've seen them five times) or hear live sets, there's SOMETHING that bugs the crap out of me (and no, not necessarily political, though it's often that). 

Of the big name Seattle bands (no Mudhoney, because just not a fan):

- Mother Love Bone
- Pearl Jam (1990-1993, 1998)
- Temple Of The Dog
- Soundgarden (Tie)
- Alice In Chains (Tie)
- Green River

- Pearl Jam (1994 - Present)

- Nirvana

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2022, 03:51:00 PM »
I'm a big PJ fan, but there are a fair few things they've done I don't dig much at all

Binaural and No Code. Never liked the former. Used to like the latter but it wore off. Gigaton has not yet clicked but I have enjoyed it when I've heard it.

I also love Backspacer! Had no idea it wasn't generally liked. I dug Riot Act and Avocado too, mind. The latter has Come Back, which is sooo beautiful. Gone, Inside Job, also.

Lightning Bolt is also a great, fun listen. Saw them for the first time on that tour finally (even though they've been a favourite of mine since I bought Alive on CD single)

I might give Gigaton another bash tomorrow.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2022, 07:24:07 PM »
Someone rating Green River higher than Mudhoney does not compute. To me, they are *extremely* similar in sound. And it seems to me that they broke up because Mark and Steve wanted to continue to do the style of music GR was doing and Jeff, Stone, and Bruce wanted to be more commercial sounding.

Thus the two camps. Mudhoney (which sound almost exactly like GR but with slightly better production) and MLB which was decidedly different.

Soundgarden is far and away my favorite.

The others would probably go something like:
Mudhoney
Nirvana
Alice In Chains
Mother Love Bone
Pearl Jam

But my respect for PJ is at an all time high. They the only ones still going and never having broke up with 4/5 original members. Doesn’t sound like they are as chummy as Rush was, but just surviving that long without loathing each other to the point of not being able to be in the same room is something.

BTW….this is just my ranking of the Seattle grunge bands. Of we’re going out of any genre, Forced Entry is the greatest Seattle band, and the single most under appreciated thrash band of all time. And an honorable mention must go to progressive metal band Odd Logic….who never got signed, but released 8 really solid self produced albums.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 07:37:22 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2022, 07:34:25 PM »

Haha, I think we must've talked about this at one point or another; one of my favorite lines of all time.  Now, is it "sun" or "star"?   Haha.

Ha, that seems familiar. Pretty sure it’s star, because that gives it a double meaning. And that’s what I’ve always heard!

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2022, 03:25:14 AM »
They are probably my favorite band, certainly the band that I lived my youth though - which will always make them special for me.  On saying that I haven't overly enjoyed their last two albums (Lightning Bolt and Gigaton) very much.

If I was to rank their records.

1. Ten.
2. Yield.
3. Backspacer.
4. vs.
5. Self-titled aka Avacado
6. Lost Dogs*
7. Vitalogy. 
8. Riot Act.
9. Binaural.
10 No Code.
11. Gigaton
12. Lightning Bolt.

Vitalogy would jump several spots if it cut the crap out (Bugs, Stupid Mop and maybe Aye Davanita)
Binaural would jump a couple of places if they'd actually put some of the best songs recorded during the session on the album (Sad & Fatal).

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 03:32:59 AM by soupytwist »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2022, 05:54:30 AM »
Someone rating Green River higher than Mudhoney does not compute. To me, they are *extremely* similar in sound. And it seems to me that they broke up because Mark and Steve wanted to continue to do the style of music GR was doing and Jeff, Stone, and Bruce wanted to be more commercial sounding.

Thus the two camps. Mudhoney (which sound almost exactly like GR but with slightly better production) and MLB which was decidedly different.

But it makes sense in my world.  I bought the Green River record because of Jeff and Stone.  Mark's vocals are not my favorite.  I listen to GR and like it well enough (enough to buy the reissues recently).  And it's good not great.   I am aware of the split and why, and the resulting two camps.  Mother Love Bone is by far my favorite of the Seattle bands, and so I never bothered to follow a vocalist I didn't like making music that was almost purposefully anti-melodic (which as you may know is almost a condition precedent to me liking something) and maybe even weird for the sake of being weird (which is also a turn off).  So when I say "not a fan", I don't mean I've listened to all of it and hate it, I mean I've never heard most of it.  A song here and there, but that's it.  That's why I didn't rate them at all.

But my respect for PJ is at an all time high. They the only ones still going and never having broke up with 4/5 original members. Doesn’t sound like they are as chummy as Rush was, but just surviving that long without loathing each other to the point of not being able to be in the same room is something.

BTW….this is just my ranking of the Seattle grunge bands. Of we’re going out of any genre, Forced Entry is the greatest Seattle band, and the single most under appreciated thrash band of all time. And an honorable mention must go to progressive metal band Odd Logic….who never got signed, but released 8 really solid self produced albums.

Watch "20" and it tells you a lot.  They came VERY close to breaking up.  Pearl Jam rising from the ashes of MLB was Stone and Jeff's band.  It was STONE'S demo tape that Eddie responded to.  It was JEFF'S artwork all over those first couple records (starting with Green River up through Ten).   And at some point, I believe it was No Code, there was a conscious decision by Stone to say "I can either keep this band under MY vision, and lose Eddie and perhaps be done with the ride, or I can relinquish ultimate control to Ed and continue the ride and see where it goes".   I don't at all remember the exact words, but the impression I got was sort of along the lines of recognizing Eddie as a unique talent, and Stone accepting that to be a cog in a bigger machine that was something special was better than sitting home telling friends how you were a rock star for about 16 minutes back in '91, '92.   I know for me, that resonates and I would like to think I would have made the same decision. 

Bands are not - or are rarely - "true" democracies.  I feel that with a few notable exceptions, bands need that one (or sometimes two) guys that will be the asshole.  That will push beyond where "normal" people will stop.  Stone was smart and aware enough to recognize that wasn't HIM anymore, it was Eddie and it was within him to accept that and get the experience.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2022, 06:37:41 AM »

Watch "20" and it tells you a lot.  They came VERY close to breaking up.  Pearl Jam rising from the ashes of MLB was Stone and Jeff's band.  It was STONE'S demo tape that Eddie responded to.  It was JEFF'S artwork all over those first couple records (starting with Green River up through Ten).   And at some point, I believe it was No Code, there was a conscious decision by Stone to say "I can either keep this band under MY vision, and lose Eddie and perhaps be done with the ride, or I can relinquish ultimate control to Ed and continue the ride and see where it goes".   I don't at all remember the exact words, but the impression I got was sort of along the lines of recognizing Eddie as a unique talent, and Stone accepting that to be a cog in a bigger machine that was something special was better than sitting home telling friends how you were a rock star for about 16 minutes back in '91, '92.   I know for me, that resonates and I would like to think I would have made the same decision. 

Bands are not - or are rarely - "true" democracies.  I feel that with a few notable exceptions, bands need that one (or sometimes two) guys that will be the asshole.  That will push beyond where "normal" people will stop.  Stone was smart and aware enough to recognize that wasn't HIM anymore, it was Eddie and it was within him to accept that and get the experience.

I think they worked best when Eddie wrote the lyrics with Stone and Jeff working on the music.   Around the No Code era things changed and Stone and Jeff started writing lyrics too, and as much as I love them - they ain't great lyricists.  Also Eddie started writing full songs too which were generally fine.   Now it seems like on the last couple of records Stone and Jeff aren't working together anymore on the music, doesn't seem like as a band they don't collaborate much anymore, you've got Ed's songs, Jeff's song's and Stones song's (and if i'm being honest Stone writing in paricular just doesn't seem up to par thesedays)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2022, 07:13:02 AM »
I started a discography listen of Pearl Jam wanting to get a more full picture of the band after only being familiar with Ten and I've gotten through the first 5 albums and I guess Binaural would be next whenever I get to it. I guess you could also throw in Mirror Ball that they did with Neil Young as an oddity/extra because I was curious to check that one out as well, being a fan of both.

If we start with Ten, I think it's still the best one by a margin. If you're not big on that sound I could see why you might rate it a few spots lower, but just in terms of individual song quality I don't think any of the other ones really come close to matching it. You got some heavy hitters like Even Flow, Black, Jeremy, Alive, and some of my personal favorites like Deep and Release. One of those debut albums where the band comes out swinging right off the bat and IMO delivers a very memorable album.

Vs. reminds me a bit of your typical sequel where some things are familiar and feel the same but you can also tell they're trying to change things up just slightly. I think it's great overall, it lacks some of those heights of Ten, but I think it's pretty solid if you think of it almost as a 'leftover B-sides from Ten'. Compared to the direction they went afterwards, this feels like the last album where they still had some grit and roughness to them.

Vitalogy is probably my least favorite out of the first 5 but that's not to say it's really bad either. I just hear a muddled album where some ideas are cool and work, others leave me with little impression and it's the sort of album where a band throws a lot of ideas out there and some of them work, some (imo) doesn't, but it's still interesting and different. I do think No Code and even more so, Yield are better albums and the transformation of the band from a gritty grunge band to a more polished americana rock band feels complete. Yield might even be my second favorite after Ten honestly.

I do hope to finish the discography run through but I do want to give every album 4-5 listens and there's 6 albums to go. I did listen to the new Eddie Vedder solo album and even though I enjoyed it, it kinda sums up some thoughts I feel about Pearl Jam where the music is fairly good, I would say 'listenable' but rarely goes above that into 'this is really good' territory. Even though I enjoy listening to Vitalogy, No Code and Yield for example, I would struggle to sing a melody or chorus from any song on those albums aside from maybe 'All Those Yesterdays', and that's after having heard the albums a good 5-6 times. I definitely appreciate the evolution of Pearl Jam and changing their sound up and becoming more than just a grunge band, but on the flip side it never feels to me like they wrote a stronger set of songs than on Ten.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2022, 07:42:19 AM »
I find that they took too much Neil Young influence on No Code but it's still a good Album.  I love Yield. Binaural and Riot Act are my 2 least favorite albums in their discography.  Though their last 4 starting with the self titles are Pearl Jam back to form. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2022, 07:58:11 AM »
One of the things that seems to be overlooked about Pearl Jam is the role of the drummer.   I LOVED Dave Kruzen's drumming.  Tribal, behind the beat, I think it's a big part of the sound of Ten and fit perfectly.  Abbruzzese was okay, but for me, not impactful.   There aren't clear lines here, since Abbruzzese played on most of Vitalogy, and Irons joined after the bulk of the album was complete, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the direction of the two main albums around and following his dismissal for inter-band politics reasons - Vitalogy and No Code - are my least favorite.  Those are also the ones where Eddie was basically calling all the shots, and it's only too easy to assume that since Jack Irons was instrumental in bringing Eddie into the band that he was more than willing to go along with Eddie's decisions in the band.  Yield is the outlier, but the band has been open with how much that record is a product of Eddie specifically loosening the reins and the band consciously being more collaborative.   I'm more of a fan of Matt Cameron, and even if the records with him aren't favorites, the ethos is there, and I've seen the band live (without Ed, as Temple Of The Dog) and they are TIGHT.  Really good.  Best Zeppelin cover I've ever heard (most suck because most drummers can't really replicate the feel of Bonham and Page playing together in their own little world of "time").

As an aside, I'm not all that hung up on the notion of "grunge"; I can (usually) tell where the influences are, and for the most part, the Seattle influences are similar to mine.  Soundgarden - to me - is a protege of Sabbath, Pearl Jam is - to me - a protege of the 70's American rock, like Kiss and Aerosmith, etc.  I like "grunge" less and less as it moves away from those familiar touchstones.  It's why I (largely) despise Nirvana and, less so, Dave Grohl.   Nirvana went out of their way to piss on the very music that influenced them, and pretended that to do so was "cool", and for Dave to now try and celebrate all that music, well, it rings disingenuous to me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2022, 08:29:56 AM »
One of the things that seems to be overlooked about Pearl Jam is the role of the drummer.   I LOVED Dave Kruzen's drumming.  Tribal, behind the beat, I think it's a big part of the sound of Ten and fit perfectly.  Abbruzzese was okay, but for me, not impactful.   There aren't clear lines here, since Abbruzzese played on most of Vitalogy, and Irons joined after the bulk of the album was complete, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the direction of the two main albums around and following his dismissal for inter-band politics reasons - Vitalogy and No Code - are my least favorite.  Those are also the ones where Eddie was basically calling all the shots, and it's only too easy to assume that since Jack Irons was instrumental in bringing Eddie into the band that he was more than willing to go along with Eddie's decisions in the band.  Yield is the outlier, but the band has been open with how much that record is a product of Eddie specifically loosening the reins and the band consciously being more collaborative.   I'm more of a fan of Matt Cameron, and even if the records with him aren't favorites, the ethos is there, and I've seen the band live (without Ed, as Temple Of The Dog) and they are TIGHT.  Really good.  Best Zeppelin cover I've ever heard (most suck because most drummers can't really replicate the feel of Bonham and Page playing together in their own little world of "time").

This is interesting to me, because I've always felt that Abbruzzese was the most dynamic drummer they've ever had, and he's a big part of why Vs. stands out so much to me above their other albums. His groove was super tight, and whatever Brenden O'Brien did to record his drums, they just sound amazing. I can see an argument that Ten had the stronger songs maybe (though I'd disagree), but the sound on Vs. is just so great that it really pushes Vs. over the top for me.

As an aside, I'm not all that hung up on the notion of "grunge"; I can (usually) tell where the influences are, and for the most part, the Seattle influences are similar to mine.  Soundgarden - to me - is a protege of Sabbath, Pearl Jam is - to me - a protege of the 70's American rock, like Kiss and Aerosmith, etc.  I like "grunge" less and less as it moves away from those familiar touchstones.  It's why I (largely) despise Nirvana and, less so, Dave Grohl.   Nirvana went out of their way to piss on the very music that influenced them, and pretended that to do so was "cool", and for Dave to now try and celebrate all that music, well, it rings disingenuous to me.

If we include Smashing Pumpkins in the broader grunge conversation (which might be my favorite act from that period), one of the things I've always appreciated about Billy Corgan is he was always happy to credit his influences. I remember him doing a cover story for (Guitar Player I think?) with Eddie Van Halen at a time when most grunge and alt bands would have wanted nothing to do with a "guitar hero." He's always cited Rush as an influence. He was on the very cool Rockoneteurs podcast a while back and talked about how much he was influenced by bands like Boston and how uncool they were at the time SP were getting popular, but it was all just music to him.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2022, 09:03:43 AM »
I disagree with you Stads.  I though Abbruzzese was a better drummer.  Listen to the original "Even Flow" them listen to the re recorded version they released with Abbruzzese on it.  So much more energy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2022, 09:29:00 AM »
Yeah grunge definitely feels like a term that exists to simplify and group bands together but I agree they are all very different. Nirvana is the one I don't like at all - I wouldn't say I hate them but Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of those songs that would make me turn off the radio and something about them never clicked for me. However I do like the other big 3 a fair bit. Soundgarden has a bit of an heavier and psychedelic edge and I love Chris Cornell's voice, Alice in Chains really hits that 'down in a hole' (no pun intended) doom and gloom and Pearl Jam like mentioned has a really nice 70s influence to them. The Smashing Pumpkins (if counted) definitely has more of an alt rock vibe so it's definitely a broad term.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2022, 09:37:29 AM »
The Posies we a band I loved in the 90's. As well as Dishwalla.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2022, 10:50:57 AM »
If we are talking other Seattle bands of that time period then The Screaming Trees are worthy of a mention.  Wasn't keen on their early albums but there last two (92's Sweet Obvilion and 96's Dust) are on there with the very best of the genre.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »

For me, Pearl Jam is one of the more perplexing bands on the planet.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Stone Gossard version of the band.  I'm not all that keen on the Eddie Vedder version (watch "20" if you don't know what I mean).   On paper, PJ is that hot girl that takes AWESOME photos, but in person just doesn't do much for you.   I want to like them so much; they play long sets, they can and do play any song at any time, they are acolytes of The Who yet their guitar player is in a UFO Tribute Band, their singer can basically sing ANYTHING.   But...  there's something about them that rubs me the wrong way and I don't quite know what it is.  For a long time I thought it was that sort of faux humility that Eddie has, and that's still a turn off, but it's more than that.

I saw Temple Of The Dog - basically the current PJ but with Chris Cornell singing, and it was A-MAZING.  What a band; they did "Achilles Last Stand" in Madison Square Garden, and even Chris recognized the moment, as after the song he said "I can't fucking believe we just played THAT song in THIS building" (Zep played MSG more than any other venue, except MAYBE the LA Forum).  That's what PJ should be, except every time I see them (I've seen them five times) or hear live sets, there's SOMETHING that bugs the crap out of me (and no, not necessarily political, though it's often that). 

Of the big name Seattle bands (no Mudhoney, because just not a fan):

- Mother Love Bone
- Pearl Jam (1990-1993, 1998)
- Temple Of The Dog
- Soundgarden (Tie)
- Alice In Chains (Tie)
- Green River

- Pearl Jam (1994 - Present)

- Nirvana

It's funny...whenever I read virtually any of your music-related posts, I find myself thinking, "man, there's a guy with whom I could talk about music for hours."

Except when it comes to Pearl Jam (lol).

For me, the band truly came into their own with Binaural and never looked back. That record, in particular, is like the missing link between Quadrophenia and Superunknown. And the funny thing is, the songwriting on Binaural is pretty evenly split amongst the band.

That being said, I'm in complete agreement with soupytwist that a couple of the sessions best songs (Sad, Fatal) were left off...had they been included, it would likely be my favorite PJ disc. As it stands, it's a solid lock for second or third (behind only No Code and Vitalogy).

Offline HOF

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »
Binaural has some songs that I really like. Light Years and Slight of Hand are great songs. I like Thin Air. Most of it is kind of musically nondescript to me though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2022, 11:51:34 AM »
I disagree with you Stads.  I though Abbruzzese was a better drummer.  Listen to the original "Even Flow" them listen to the re recorded version they released with Abbruzzese on it.  So much more energy.

I have both; I'll give them a closer listen. 

Abbruzzese may well be a better drummer; I just like what I call a sort of "tribal" feel to Kruzen.  I like that sound that he got, too; that sort of "hollow" "thock" to the drums.   I'll try to find a passage where I can point to that.

Online faizoff

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2022, 01:16:16 PM »
There's a re-recorded version of Even Flow with Abbruzzese on drums? Is it just the live versions or a proper studio release?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2022, 01:31:29 PM »
There's a re-recorded version of Even Flow with Abbruzzese on drums? Is it just the live versions or a proper studio release?

Studio. They rereleased the song as the video and then re released the album with that version added.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2022, 01:33:34 PM »
"Even Flow" features lyrics written by vocalist Eddie Vedder and music written by guitarist Stone Gossard. Bassist Jeff Ament said, "I knew it was a great song all along, and I felt that it was the best song that we got the worst take of on the first record. There were a hundred takes on that song, and we just never nailed it."[2] Drummer Dave Krusen said, "I was pretty green back then and 'Even Flow' suffered from too much fluctuation." He added that "it was really tough for me. I don't know why. Not sure why we didn't use that one from the demo as well, but I know it felt better."[3] Guitarist Mike McCready stated, "We did 'Even Flow' about 50, 70 times. I swear to God it was a nightmare. We played that thing over and over until we hated each other. I still don't think Stone is satisfied with how it came out."[4]

An alternate version of the song was recorded with drummer Dave Abbruzzese in 1992 while the band was recording songs for the soundtrack for the 1992 film, Singles.[5] This version was used for the music video,[6] and was used in single releases in the United Kingdom. This version can also be found on Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album, rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991–2003).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2022, 01:34:00 PM »
If we are talking other Seattle bands of that time period then The Screaming Trees are worthy of a mention.  Wasn't keen on their early albums but there last two (92's Sweet Obvilion and 96's Dust) are on there with the very best of the genre.

Mark Lanegan died this week just gone. RIP. I don't love the Trees but had Dust. Incredible vocals. Witness is a cracking tune.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2022, 01:35:03 PM »
"Even Flow" features lyrics written by vocalist Eddie Vedder and music written by guitarist Stone Gossard. Bassist Jeff Ament said, "I knew it was a great song all along, and I felt that it was the best song that we got the worst take of on the first record. There were a hundred takes on that song, and we just never nailed it."[2] Drummer Dave Krusen said, "I was pretty green back then and 'Even Flow' suffered from too much fluctuation." He added that "it was really tough for me. I don't know why. Not sure why we didn't use that one from the demo as well, but I know it felt better."[3] Guitarist Mike McCready stated, "We did 'Even Flow' about 50, 70 times. I swear to God it was a nightmare. We played that thing over and over until we hated each other. I still don't think Stone is satisfied with how it came out."[4]

An alternate version of the song was recorded with drummer Dave Abbruzzese in 1992 while the band was recording songs for the soundtrack for the 1992 film, Singles.[5] This version was used for the music video,[6] and was used in single releases in the United Kingdom. This version can also be found on Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album, rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991–2003).

That's funny. I never liked the single version.  :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2022, 01:35:10 PM »

Studio. They rereleased the song as the video and then re released the album with that version added.

I have the Brendan O'Brien remix version, didn't know that was with Abbruzzese on the drums. I always thought the official video was a live version of the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxKWTzr-k6s&ab_channel=PearljamVEVO
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2022, 01:47:15 PM »
We've been playing PJ all night for our regular drinks, food, games evening. Started with Gigaton but stopped it after a few tracks. It's fine but a bit background.

Switched to Ten Redux after that. Amazing. I've known that album for 30 years but it's still fucking brilliant. I've heard the first half too many times tbh but the second half STILL sounds so fresh. Porch, Garden, Release. So moving AND well played. This is the thing about the band - their top drawer stuff really gets IN you like few other bands do. Up there with Maiden and Zep for me.  :hefdaddy

Offline HOF

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2022, 01:56:48 PM »

I have the Brendan O'Brien remix version, didn't know that was with Abbruzzese on the drums. I always thought the official video was a live version of the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxKWTzr-k6s&ab_channel=PearljamVEVO

Randomly, I just heard this song on the radio a little while back (I never listen to radio) and it was a different version than the studio version but similar enough to the original that I didn't think it was live or a newer re-recording. I bet it was the Abbruzzese version.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2022, 02:52:36 PM »

Mark Lanegan died this week just gone. RIP. I don't love the Trees but had Dust. Incredible vocals. Witness is a cracking tune.

Fuck.  I didn't know that....that's sad.  As well as his work with the Trees I enjoyed a lot of his solo stuff and his work with Alison.  But for me his crowning jewel was the Gutter Twins album with Greg Dulli - just an amazing album.

RIP Mark.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2022, 01:06:44 AM »
I'll have to dig around his catalogue a bit more. Last time I heard him was on last year's Manics album.

PJ falls into 3 boxes for me, and I find it hard to order the albums in those boxes.

Love

Ten
Vs
Yield
Backspacer
Lightning Bolt

Love bits

Avocado
Vitalogy
Lost Dogs
Riot Act

Miss

Binaural
No Code
Gigaton

Offline krands85

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2022, 06:28:26 AM »
I like all the albums up to the self-titled, which is my favourite I think. Ten and Vs. would probably be in my top 3 as well, with Riot Act at the bottom of their first 8 albums.

I just haven't been able to get in to the last three albums though, they'd definitely be my bottom 3. Been a while since I listened to any PJ though, might make my way through their discovery again soon.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww