Author Topic: Format/s  (Read 5313 times)

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

Format/s
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:01:14 PM »
This may have already been discussed elsewhere but I wonder what the formats will be?
cd? lp? digital download? box set?
 ???

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Format/s
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:51 PM »
CD, obviously. I doubt they'd do another box set so soon. Digital downloads happen for everything now. As far as LPs, tough call.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »
I hope there is a special edition. I also hope there is an LP version. Screw it, I want a cassette version too  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »
8-track

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
They should start releasing DVD's with high quality audio on them so we can copy them to our computers for those of us who have high end sound cards.  I wonder why no one records at like 192khz 24bit and then puts them on a dvd for copying.  Oh well.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
I will be happy with just a CD. The music with the booklet artwork and liner notes will do just fine.  :smiley:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:44:40 PM »
I wonder why no one records at like 192khz 24bit and then puts them on a dvd[...]
Actually, when recording it's common practice to do so at the highest quality your equipment allows. These days, this generally means 24 bit at least (though sometimes 32 bit), and 192khz sample rate as you say. It isn't until the mastering stage that the audio is downsampled to CD quality for production of CDs.

One day we'll finally have a new format supercede the CD, and everyone will jump on the remastering bandwagon. Then they will take those 24bit/192khz master recordings, and we'll get remasters of great digitally-recorded music (and tape transfers of analogue recordings of course) in glorious 24 bit and 192khz.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:45:33 PM »
Sorry, double-posted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
This may have already been discussed elsewhere but I wonder what the formats will be?
cd? lp? digital download? box set?
 ???

CD = yes
LP = likely
Digital Download = likely
Box Set = unlikely

I'm happy with just a CD with an extensive booklet with lots of notes, pics and artwork.  And a bonus DVD of the band performing the album in the studio live (ala St. Anger) would be heaven.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:43:06 AM »
CD/download = no doubt
LP = they've done it sense they've been with Roadrunner, so I say there's a good chance
box set = I don't think so...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 02:58:48 AM »
CD of course ;)
Boxset - I don't think so...
LP - sure ;)
download - yeah, should be...
cassette -  ;D :o
8bit Nintendo version of the album - would be great  :metal

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 06:54:29 AM »
One day we'll finally have a new format supercede the CD, and everyone will jump on the remastering bandwagon. Then they will take those 24bit/192khz master recordings, and we'll get remasters of great digitally-recorded music (and tape transfers of analogue recordings of course) in glorious 24 bit and 192khz.

I hope you're right, but I fear that you are overly optimistic.  SACD and DVD-A have been around a while, but haven't really caught on.  The public has so far chosen portability (small file size) over sound quality.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
I would be suprised if there was a sort of...mini boxset featuring the auditions.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »
Am I the only one who immediately thought of the MS-DOS command upon reading the title of this thread?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »

I hope you're right, but I fear that you are overly optimistic.  SACD and DVD-A have been around a while, but haven't really caught on.  The public has so far chosen portability (small file size) over sound quality.

I cant say those 2 formats have been well marketed either, compared to say an iPod or Zune

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
Am I the only one who immediately thought of the MS-DOS command upon reading the title of this thread?

Where did you remember that? :lol  :lol  :lol

As for the formats, I'd say a box set / special edition is almost probable, since Roadrunner likes to do that for most of the bands that are releasing records under the RR logo.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
I wonder why no one records at like 192khz 24bit and then puts them on a dvd[...]
Actually, when recording it's common practice to do so at the highest quality your equipment allows. These days, this generally means 24 bit at least (though sometimes 32 bit), and 192khz sample rate as you say. It isn't until the mastering stage that the audio is downsampled to CD quality for production of CDs.

True that.  Although I'm not sure if people actually record at that high of a sampling rate.  I always record 24 bit, but usually stay in 44.1 just because I know it's giong to CD anyways.  But if they are recording at 192, they should release the .WAV files at that setting so we can at least have digitial files to play on our computers at that quality.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »
Preferably flac download. Then I'll convert it to 320 kbps mp3 for the mp3 player, but play the flac on the computer - dac - amp - headphones.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »
I wouldn't say I am optimistic, but it'll have to happen eventually. It would be really sad if the public never widely adopted formats better than CD or MP3s. The problem has never been about the cost or availability of new technology but only the general populous being unwilling to change and as Darkshade mentions, lack of marketing - I don't think I've ever seen SACD or DVD-A advertisements or products actually in a store, because no one cared enough to really push those formats. It seems to be working for the Blu-ray format at the moment, so there is some hope it can happen one day with audio.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:57 AM »
Why does nobody think a boxset is likely?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 07:02:46 AM »
I wouldn't say I am optimistic, but it'll have to happen eventually. It would be really sad if the public never widely adopted formats better than CD or MP3s. The problem has never been about the cost or availability of new technology but only the general populous being unwilling to change and as Darkshade mentions, lack of marketing - I don't think I've ever seen SACD or DVD-A advertisements or products actually in a store, because no one cared enough to really push those formats. It seems to be working for the Blu-ray format at the moment, so there is some hope it can happen one day with audio.

I don't know why, but people seem to be really interested in "higher quality" in movies/TV, but don't seem to care when it comes to music.  The transition from cassettes to CDs was the last time the general public seemed impressed by improved sound quality in music.  Maybe once the transition away from physical media is mostly complete, they'll start pushing higher quality audio formats for downloads?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 09:20:08 AM »
AFAIK, Black Clouds is the only boxset they've done.  And it was MP's thing.  So statistically, it's not likely.  Even though it is totally possible.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 12:24:49 PM »
I would be suprised if there was a sort of...mini boxset featuring the auditions.
I'd bet on it.  There's almost certainly going to be a dvd covering the auditions and some jamming with MM.  I wouldn't expect a box set, but I'd definitely expect a special edition with a dvd like they did for SC.  Hell, if they can give us an SC documentary, they damn sure need to give us a "first album with a new drummer" doc. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
I'd bet on it.  There's almost certainly going to be a dvd covering the auditions and some jamming with MM.  I wouldn't expect a box set, but I'd definitely expect a special edition with a dvd like they did for SC.  Hell, if they can give us an SC documentary, they damn sure need to give us a "first album with a new drummer" doc. 
That would be so cool...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 02:46:25 PM »

Depends what is meant by "box set."  I could be wrong, but I'm not sensing a big box set like the one they did for BCSL with the LP's, mouse pad, etc.  Something like that is expensive to package, which means it is expensive for the fans, which means it isn't a big seller unless either (1) it is for a big, momentous occasion, and/or (2) it has a lot of really cool content that a LOT of fans want to buy.  Since they just did a big box for their 10th album, I don't see one this time around.

But there will almost for sure be a SE with a bonus DVD.  JP said they planned on releasing a DVD with the documentary.  I know the plans changed drastically during the process, so maybe that was an earlier plan that has changed as well.  But since they have it professionally recorded and edited, it would be a shame if they didn't make it available for a special edition, and I'm sure there is a lot they could include as "bonus" footage of the audition process, the making of the album, etc.  That being said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did a 3-disk "box set" like the smaller SE of BCSL or like The Whirlwind, where they release a package with the standard CD, a DVD, and a bonus CD of covers, bonus songs, demos, and/or instrumental tracks.  A SE would be a good way to make a statement to the fans that just because Mike is gone doesn't mean they won't continue to go above and beyond in giving extras to the fans.  And, again, given that they already have this documentary footage, which means they've already got pre-made video content, and given that they have scheduled a release date that is slightly farther out from the time the album was in the can than the normal release cycle, it just seems logical to me that there will be at least a CD/DVD SE, if not a more extended SE.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
Just don't make the special edition $130. The BC&SL boxset was supposed to be Limited Edition--not '2 years later you can buy it for $50 dollars from Roadrunner'
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 04:58:47 PM »
i just want a way to get cd = vinyl in one purchase
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline FsF

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 06:14:28 PM »
Having the stems avaliable again would be awesome. Especially if John Myung actually plays something worthwhile this time, and isn't so darned sloppy.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 03:18:45 AM »
A special edition would probably be likely as it tends to be a way to beat the downloaders by offering something extra, making of DVD usually. That would also explain the delay between now and September?

I would love another set of stems so we can listen to MM in isolation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 05:27:49 AM »
Having the stems avaliable again would be awesome. Especially if John Myung actually plays something worthwhile this time, and isn't so darned sloppy.
The stems would probably be neater if they were the raw tracks, not the mixed-down, effects-laden final versions.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 07:12:06 AM »
The stems would probably be neater if they were the raw tracks, not the mixed-down, effects-laden final versions.
I hear you. When I first heard that stems were going to be available, I was excited. As an amateur producer/mixing engineer I was looking forward to having an opportunity to mix at least a couple of songs from the latest DT album. But once I found out they weren't the raw tracks I didn't bother forking out for them because they were of no use to me. I honestly don't know who would find them useful, unless you were learning to play these songs perhaps, but they wouldn't exactly be necessary for that. Very disappoint.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:23 AM »
I just want another surround sound mix.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
A DVD with the drummer documentary has been all but guaranteed. I'm thinking something like SC. One regular one-disc version and one extended artwork one-CD, one DVD with drummers and making of.

RR seems to do a regular and special edition of virtually every album.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »

THIS
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »

SACD is just as portable as CD for some time now, since most SACD's are now released as a dual layer.  One layer is the SACD, and a second layer is regular CD.  I used to get jazz discs in that format even though I didn't own a SACD player, and it was the exact same price as buying the CD only version.  None of that has helped it catch on, I just don't think the typical person either understands or cares.