Author Topic: "what did GWB promise that he didnt deliver?" EV  (Read 5832 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: "what did GWB promise that he didnt deliver?" EV
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
Seriously. I've been lucky that I haven't really seen the results of the Act firsthand but I have had several friends who have dealt with some shit. My one friend's family almost always got pulled aside at the airport in the years following 9/11 for that special "let's search every part of you and your luggage" search. Now keep in mind they're all highly intelligent people, the two parents being well known doctors around my area, they just happen to be Indian. Same thing happened to my friend who is Portuguese who just happened to get a tan coming back from Florida.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »
Seriously. I've been lucky that I haven't really seen the results of the Act firsthand but I have had several friends who have dealt with some shit. My one friend's family almost always got pulled aside at the airport in the years following 9/11 for that special "let's search every part of you and your luggage" search. Now keep in mind they're all highly intelligent people, the two parents being well known doctors around my area, they just happen to be Indian. Same thing happened to my friend who is Portuguese who just happened to get a tan coming back from Florida.

Don't let facts get in the way of this discussion.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 05:03:40 PM »
This thread brings this song rushing back into memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-z2D9lo9-8

And Epicview, you're a Tea partier, right? What do you think about Rand Paul laying into the Patriot Act? Is he just an America-hating, pussy liberal?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 06:36:02 PM »
This thread brings this song rushing back into memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-z2D9lo9-8

It reminds me of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc

Before this thread was open, I didn't realize there was a breed of people who loved the patriot act, but disliked Obama's continuation of it  ;D Man, this thread is hopeless.

Anyway, since this thread is mostly about Iraq, I have this to say: there are few things, as an American, which genuinely shake my Patriotism. The fact that our last president was a moron, on the surface, didn't really bother me. And I still find myself defending our current one on a lot of issues, even though he's been terribly disappointing. One thing I can't get behind, though, is what American has been doing in the middle east. We have made a living hell of Afghanistan and Iraq, and I don't think most people even consider what has happened to the lives of people in those places: whether it be the daily agenda of being raped on the way to buy groceries, getting blown up by suicidal insurgents or even getting carpet bombed (again) by the "liberators."

W. and Cheney asked me to consider this, and I still do every time it comes up: 500 years from now, what are the histories going to say America's middle eastern fuck-ups? I'd be willing to bet it's less like a liberation and more like the last crime against humanity of a dying empire.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »

And Epicview, you're a Tea partier, right? What do you think about Rand Paul laying into the Patriot Act? Is he just an America-hating, pussy liberal?

I like Rand, but I dont agree with anyone 100%. no candidate it perfect, I just know Obama is horrible for the USA,... and I know GWB loves his country.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 07:13:29 PM »

I like Rand, but I dont agree with anyone 100%. no candidate it perfect, I just know Obama is horrible for the USA,... and I know GWB loves his country.

Just out of curiosity, what were GWB's shortcomings?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 07:21:19 PM »

He didnt communicate well enough and he didnt fight back on his policies when he was attacked every day on them. He stayed above it, but it his detractors used that as a weakness...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:27:56 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:26 PM »
So, in other words, GWB was just too good for this harsh world  ;D

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »

He didnt communicate well enough and he didnt fight back on his policies when he was attacked every day on them. He stayed above it, but it his detractors used that as a weakness...

Someones got a Man crush   :rollin
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »

He's almost no different than his predecessor. How can you admire Bush but dislike Obama?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »

He's almost no different than his predecessor. How can you admire Bush but dislike Obama?

Some people are very impressionable
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »

You gotta be joking..

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
I don't understand people who like Adidas.  Nike is way better.  I don't think I've ever seen something I like by Adidas.  Everything they make looks stupid, and only people who buy into mindless consumerism buy their stuff.  Nike is superior in every way. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »

You gotta be joking..
Maybe there are some substantial differences people overlook, like commitment toward Israel and general attitude for example. But they're really nowhere near as different as you and many others seem to pretend they are.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »

You gotta be joking..
Well, please, correct me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »

You gotta be joking..

no thanks

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »
GWB loves the US the same way a father with a gambling addiction loves his family by betting their life savings.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »
John Wayne Gacey really loved kids. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »
The boogeyman is bad but the old boogeyman was good.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 12:05:07 AM »

You gotta be joking..

no thanks

this is precisely why you get treated the way you do

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2011, 06:33:10 AM »
Iraq is certainly not more free. At least under Saddam the oppression/violence/aggression was consistent and predictable.