Author Topic: Need a free program to separate audio tracks  (Read 1833 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Need a free program to separate audio tracks
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:40:13 PM »
My band is looking to gig a bit more frequently than we've been in recent months so my singer had a friend record us at last night's show so we'll have audio to put on our facebook page. Problem is the dude hit the pause button between songs instead of hitting the stop button and for now we're stuck with one looooooooooong track comprising all of last night's show.

I need to find a program(preferably free since money's tight) to separate all the tracks so we don't get stuck having to do this all over again from scratch.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Need a free program to separate audio tracks
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
Audacity.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
Audacity.

This.  Free and easy to get the hang of, sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
Audacity.

This.  Free and easy to get the hang of, sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Where is a trustworthy place to get it? cNet?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline adameastment

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
Yeah, Audacity is amazing, it's what I use to edit my podcast. Really gives a professional feel to the audio with little effort.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 01:56:39 PM »
https://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Thanks chief! Just a few more things I need to ask. I saw this text and am a little confused which version would be ideal for my needs.

The latest release of Audacity is 1.3.13 (Beta). This is our active version with the latest features and fixes. We recommend this version for more advanced users, and for everyone on Windows 7, Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.6. Documentation and translations into different languages may not be quite complete. See New Features in 1.3 for more information about the 1.3 Beta series.

Audacity 1.2.6 is our main release, complete and fully documented, but no longer under development. You may install Audacity 1.2.6 and 1.3.13 on the same machine.

Based on this, should I avoid the 1.3.13 (Beta) version since I'm obviously totally new to it? Also should I just get both since (like the second red-highlighted part says) you can have both on the same computer?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »
You only need one version. I would go with whatever the newest most stable release is (read: not beta), but what you want to do is simple enough that I don't think it will matter much which version you go with.

Although apparently that beta release is relatively stable, so flip a coin I guess.  :lol

Offline adameastment

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »
https://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Thanks chief! Just a few more things I need to ask. I saw this text and am a little confused which version would be ideal for my needs.

The latest release of Audacity is 1.3.13 (Beta). This is our active version with the latest features and fixes. We recommend this version for more advanced users, and for everyone on Windows 7, Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.6. Documentation and translations into different languages may not be quite complete. See New Features in 1.3 for more information about the 1.3 Beta series.

Audacity 1.2.6 is our main release, complete and fully documented, but no longer under development. You may install Audacity 1.2.6 and 1.3.13 on the same machine.

Based on this, should I avoid the 1.3.13 (Beta) version since I'm obviously totally new to it? Also should I just get both since (like the second red-highlighted part says) you can have both on the same computer?

Install whichever you like, they are really easy to use, and take about 10 minutes to figure out!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »
^Shall do. I'll report back here with(hopefully) good results.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
UI-wise Audacity is one of the worst programs I know, seriously.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
UI-wise Audacity is one of the worst programs I know, seriously.

rumborak

As a pro tools guy myself, audacity is fine for what he wants to do. I used to goof around with it from time to time, it has its purposes, but outside of little things like that, I'd never use it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
I still have a copy of CoolEdit Pro at home, and to me that's still the ultimate wave editor. Simple and efficient.

rumborak

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »
I still have a copy of CoolEdit Pro at home, and to me that's still the ultimate wave editor. Simple and efficient.

rumborak

Is it free? Also, will it blend?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 04:45:59 PM »
Nope, not free. But, not hard to get either ;)
(Syntrillium, who sold CoolEdit, got bought by Adobe years ago, and now they call it Adobe Audition. So, CoolEdit is a discontinued product from a company that doesn't exist anymore)

rumborak