Author Topic: This Film is Not Yet Rated  (Read 6178 times)

Offline zepp-head

Re: This Film is Not Yet Rated
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
I agreed with the film's message but their method of basically stalking board members was kind of fucked up. It was fun to watch but it wasn't a very professionally executed documentary. It felt like a sleazy TMZ piece at times.

I agree with this.  

The film made its point, but it fell into the same thing that keeps me from watching most documentaries, meaning there was no such thing at even an attempt of neutrality.  The film would have real audio from phone calls, but would animate the person on the other end of the line to be rolling their eyes and things like that.  I understand that the guy who made it was pissed off, but come on, be fair.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
I agreed with the film's message but their method of basically stalking board members was kind of fucked up. It was fun to watch but it wasn't a very professionally executed documentary. It felt like a sleazy TMZ piece at times.

I agree with this.  

The film made its point, but it fell into the same thing that keeps me from watching most documentaries, meaning there was no such thing at even an attempt of neutrality.  The film would have real audio from phone calls, but would animate the person on the other end of the line to be rolling their eyes and things like that.  I understand that the guy who made it was pissed off, but come on, be fair.

That's why I think that part should have been left out, however if you look at the majority of the film, which is the interviews or compilations, then it really does a good job.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Sounds like an interesting watch.  Is it on Netflix?

It is!
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »
Yeah but the rating system is based on a false sense of morality and hyprocacy.

No, I get that.  But even that being true, it doesn't bother me because (1) movies aren't important enough for me to get worked up over it, and (2) as I said above, although the system is flawed, for whatever reason, it is still useful.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 02:17:03 PM »
It's just the principle of the thing Bosk. That's it. It doesn't directly affect me, and to be honest, I don't care all that much either. But I understand why this is a problem and why something should be done to fix it.

At the very least, people need to be made aware of the situation, which is why this film was made.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 02:18:12 PM »
And why that board of all boards needs to remain anonymous.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
it's a pretty bodacious film.

it would be pretty cool if they got a few artists on the board somewhere.

Offline TL

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
As a complete contrast to the MPAA, I absolutely love Quebec's film rating board.
There's a high degree of transparency, and they actually seem to account for context. Their ratings are G, 13+, 16+, and 18+. 18+ is extremely rare when it comes to theatrical films. G and 13+ are far and away the most commonly used ratings, with many films that are rated R (and even NC-17) in the US receiving a 13+ rating.

It's crazy, it's like someone actually designed a film rating board for the real world! They actually trust people to think and use their own judgement.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 03:24:35 PM »
As a complete contrast to the MPAA, I absolutely love Quebec's film rating board.
There's a high degree of transparency, and they actually seem to account for context. Their ratings are G, 13+, 16+, and 18+. 18+ is extremely rare when it comes to theatrical films. G and 13+ are far and away the most commonly used ratings, with many films that are rated R (and even NC-17) in the US receiving a 13+ rating.

It's crazy, it's like someone actually designed a film rating board for the real world! They actually trust people to think and use their own judgement.
I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that Canadians probably aren't as horrified at the prospect of their child seeing a nipple as Americans are.  Just a hunch.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that Canadians probably aren't as horrified at the prospect of their child seeing a nipple as Americans are.  Just a hunch.

Nipple = Children scarred for life, doomed for a life of prison sex.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2011, 05:18:08 PM »

I agree with this.  

That's why I think that part should have been left out, however if you look at the majority of the film, which is the interviews or compilations, then it really does a good job.

Agreed on both points.  The re-enacted phone calls were the most annoying point of the movie for me.  I did like the Private Investigator thing though.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
Yeah but the rating system is based on a false sense of morality and hyprocacy.

No, I get that.  But even that being true, it doesn't bother me because (1) movies aren't important enough for me to get worked up over it, and (2) as I said above, although the system is flawed, for whatever reason, it is still useful.

So what? Who cares?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:31 PM »
See, with me being such a cinephile, I find it awful that some movies out there were never made because of this bogus rating system. That's my deal. That's why I admire dudes like Kubrick who were all "Yeah, I'll take that X rating...bitch."

Online Adami

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »
That's why I admire dudes like Kubrick who were all "Yeah, I'll take that X rating...bitch."

Have you seen Eyes Wide Shut? It was pretty drastically changed for the rating.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
Yeah, I know. I was talking about ACO. And I've seen EWS in its original form, and then I've seen the edited scene. The only different was they digitally put dudes in in some of the orgy spots. That is another thing that the movie talked about. The way the movie was edited, you could still see the chick screaming, moaning and rocking, but you couldn't see the guy thrusting...and that somehow makes it ok.

Online Adami

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »
Yeah, I know. I was talking about ACO. And I've seen EWS in its original form, and then I've seen the edited scene. The only different was they digitally put dudes in in some of the orgy spots. That is another thing that the movie talked about. The way the movie was edited, you could still see the chick screaming, moaning and rocking, but you couldn't see the guy thrusting...and that somehow makes it ok.

Where can I find the non edited version? I have the kubrick boxset, is it in there?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »
The movie ratings system does almost nothing when you consider that most children/teenagers/whatever get their "entertainment" from the internet and late night movie channels, not in movie theaters.

A parent should allow or not allow their 18 and under children to watch certain programs on tv and access certain information on the internet. Until a parent is already proactive about those things, I don't want to hear them bitch about things shown in the theater, which should be even easier to limit their child's access to.

Or to put it another way --

As long as 14 year old kids are freely googling "two girls one cup" or "how to make a bomb" what is the difference if a film with the word "fuck" or a naked set of breasts is released with a rating that would allow them to see it?  OH NO THEY MIGHT LEARN HOW TO MAKE LOVE CREATIVELY AND EXPRESS THEMSELVES.

Here's another thought.... we rate sexuality harsher than violence, yet more 16 year olds are getting pregnant/getting girls pregnant than committing violent crimes. Maybe we should just let them learn about sex. ZOMG THE CRAZINESS

I loved that scene from "The People vs. Larry Flynt" where he shows that film compilation and asks "is this obscene? or this? or this?" while comparing images of lovers in an embrace compared to images of dead people and soldiers with guns.

I know I'd rather have my kids learn about love and sex than killing and fear, but you know, thats just me.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2011, 06:43:50 AM »
I know I'd rather have my kids learn about love and sex than killing and fear, but you know, thats just me.
The crazy thing is that most Americans would probaby agree with you. Once again, a very vocal minority is driving things. I've never understood why conservative Christian types are all for guns and killing, but are afraid of sex. Believing that sex before marriage is wrong is all fine and good, but not wanting your kids to know anything about sex is just wierd.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
Yeah, preferring to see violence over sex is quite an interesting decision that most people seem to be in favor of for some reason.  Seems a bit demented to me.

On topic: while flawed, I think we can all agree that the ratings system in place now is infinitely better than the one it replaced.

Offline TL

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 09:13:53 AM »
I like Kevin Smith's interview in the film;
About how a mother was freaking about because she didn't want her 16 year old daughter to see a movie where one of the female characters talks about masturbation. How Smith is just like "Do you really think that's anything new for her? She's 16".

As has been said, it's especially silly in this day and age, where most kids have seen far more explicit material online by the time they're 12 than they'll ever see in a theatrical film.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »
So guys, remember that time when movie theaters became really over-regulated with policies that aren't actually relevant in the legal system and just cause more harm than they do good?

Oh right.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3