Author Topic: What song draws you into an album?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
What song draws you into an album?
« on: May 25, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
Sorry if this is a duplicate type of topic - I used the search and browsed through several pages and didn't see something like it.

I generally listen to my iPod on shuffle. I like my wide variety of music and to mix it up. Yet, there are definitely a few songs that when they come on I want to listen to that whole album.

Any song from these albums:
Metallica - S&M
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeling Secrets of Silent Earth 3
Scenes from a Memory
The Who - Quadraphenia

What songs make you want to listen to the full album?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What song draws you into an album?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
I generally do not listen to my iPod on shuffle, but when I do, it's because I want to experience the randomness of the tracks, so I typically wouldn't stop the shuffle just because a certain song came up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »
A lot of times its the first track of an album.  First tracks are especially important songs anyway.  When you start to listen to an album, that first track has to really pull you in to make you want more.  Its also a trend with me to LOVE the first tracks of my favorite albums.  Unfortunately I can't think of many specific examples right now.  Actually, yes I can.  "Red Rain" by Peter Gabriel.  Listened to it on the drive home and decided to spin the entire album (which I'm now listening to).

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:06:57 PM »
First tracks are indeed important. But mostly I'm pretty motivated to listen to full albums anyway..

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
A lot of times its the first track of an album.

This. The one that does it for me the most by FAR is Keeping the Blade from Good Apollo 1. Whenever I hear that track I have to shut off the random immediately and play all of GA1. Olives from Terria and Of Two Beginnings from Remedy Lane will also do it sometimes, but Keeping the Blade always gets there.
caw caw

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
Definitely agree with first tracks. Found another one while on shuffle, any song from Searching for A Former Clarity by Against Me!

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 06:07:29 PM »
First tracks are indeed important. But mostly I'm pretty motivated to listen to full albums anyway..

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
I usually listen to full albums and don't often use shuffle. But when I do, sometimes I'm drawn in by a song that flows into another song.

So if The Mirror comes on in the shuffle, I'll be like "Fuck yeah!" but as it neared the end and I excitedly anticipated Lie, I remembered I wouldn't hear it because I was on shuffle. So then it's a race against time to turn off shuffle before the song ends. And then by that point I usually just stick through with the rest of the album.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.