Author Topic: The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson….  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson….
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »
The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson….

I’ve always been an ardent supporter of the Beach Boys’ significant place in American music history, without actually really being a fan of theirs. So I decided to give a listen to some of their stuff. Sure, the early stuff is all about surfing, cars, and girls. But it is fun, well-constructed music. And it was filling a pretty big post-Buddy Holly, pre-Beatles void. Then you get to Pet Sounds. ‘Sloop John B’ has always been one of my favorite songs of all time, but otherwise I never got the genius of this album. It sounds beautiful, there’s no denying that. But it doesn’t hit me as ‘one of the best albums ever!’ And I can’t blame it on not appreciating the greatness of it when it was released, because its place in history has increased with time.

Focus: Ok, there really isn’t one. Just my random musical thoughts over the past couple days. Discuss all things Beach Boys, Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson related…
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson….
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
Pet Sounds is one of the albums I know i will love, but I still have not gotten it. I want to find it on vinyl, because I really want my first listen through to be on that. With that said, I already know a bunch of the songs off the album of course.

A couple weeks ago I was obsessed with "I Get Around". I must have played it over 40 times within a week. The key change going up half a step at the end of the song is so amazing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »
Huge huge fan here of both the band and Pet Sounds. For many years I've ranked it as my #1 album of all time, today it's still in the Top 5. Many non-fans mostly think of them as surf/fun-in-the-sun music, but from 1965 and onwards they really became so much more. Albums such as Today!, Summer Days, Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and 20/20 are great examples of this. I don't consider many musicians to be geniuses, but Brian Wilson truly is one. To be able to write such sophisticated music at such an early age (and being deaf on one ear!) is nothing short of astounding.

I had the fortune to see him live in 2002 performing Pet Sounds in its entirety, and it was absolutely mindblowing. His voice surely isn't what it used to be, but just the sheer excitement to watch that man perform it with his current band was a milestone for me. I saw the Beach Boys live the year before (it was just Mike and Bruce from the original band then) and they did a great show too, playing all the hits and such. IMHO the only band who in their prime could challenge The Beatles in sheer record making and producing. I can't say enough superlatives about them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »
I've always wanted to give Smile a listen.  Released only a couple of years ago, it was supposed to be Brian's answer to Sgt. Peppers, but due to mental issues, took him over 40 years to finish.  When released, it was to very high critical acclaim.

On a sidenote, fantasy readers out there should check out Glimpses by Lewis Shiner, story of a guy trying to reconcile with his father's death by going back to help musicians finish albums never realized in real life.  Great stuff about Wilson and Hendrix.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
I love The Beach Boys! Everyone makes fun of it but I really do.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »
If you really want some good insight into just how much of a visionary and creative force Brian Wilson was, watch the "Smile" documentary.  If things hadn't gone downhill in '67 and "Smile" had been released when it was originally intended to have been, it would have turned the music world upside down.

"If I were to rank them on a scale of 1 to 10, *Pet Sounds* would be a 4 and *Smile* would be a 10" - Brian Wilson

Offline unklejman

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »
I understand that it is part of the "sound" but the bad intonation of the vocals just grates on me. I still like "I Get Around" but I think that is partly due to how many times I watched "Flight of the Navigator" when I was a kid.  :lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:35:01 PM »
I understand that it is part of the "sound" but the bad intonation of the vocals just grates on me.

???

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:10:21 AM »
Speaking of "I Get Around," this scene from the film Three Kings always comes to mind; one of the greatest song choices in conjunction with the scene ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ue45zICTE

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 04:35:29 AM »
I love The Beach Boys. Still need to listen to Smile though.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »
I love The Beach Boys. Still need to listen to Smile though.

I would recommend making it a high priority.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 08:42:56 AM »
If you ever have the chance to see Brian Wilson and his band, do it.  The band kills live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 09:13:43 AM »
If you ever have the chance to see Brian Wilson and his band, do it.  The band kills live.

I've heard that too.  I've got the Smile DVD and that performance was incredible.  Haven't seen him live yet though.  I will eternally regret not going to see him on the Smile tour :(

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 08:24:20 AM »
Huge bump because the The SMiLE Sessions is amazing.  I really didn't expect to like it this much.  I'm a moderate fan of their other releases, but the creativity and composition on this album is amazing.  It's a shame that this wasn't released when it was made. 

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »
Also, The Beach Boys reunion. :D

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the reunion and most of all the new album.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Lol... reunion.  Carl and Dennis are dead and Al Jardine is not involved at all.  It's just Brian and Mike Love.  I'd rather just see Brian continue to release solo albums with his band and see Mike Love disappear from the face of the earth.

I know that the Smile project fell apart for a vast number of complex reason, but from what I gather the primary reason amongst them all was Mike Love's hatred of the project and his unwillingness to go along with it.

Plus, the dude has been touring on the Beach Boys name for YEARS even though he's been the only legit member involved.  Calling themselves the Beach Boys without ANY of the Wilson brothers is just ridiculous.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 12:45:46 PM »
Lol... reunion.  Carl and Dennis are dead and Al Jardine is not involved at all.  It's just Brian and Mike Love. 

I thought Al and Bruce Johnston were involved?

https://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/B/Beach_Boys/2011/12/16/19133156.html
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »
Hmm... I read somewhere else that Al wasn't involved.  I thought there was still a lot of bad blood between him and Mike Love.

Bruce Johnston is involved, but does he really even count?  Didn't he only originally join the band as Brian's replacement?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
He's been with them since 1965 (although he was away between 1971-1979) so I definitely count Bruce.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »
Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
very cool thread..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
Are the beach boys an album-band or a song-band? Apparently Pet Sounds is supposed to be amazing but I wasn't too impressed except by the two singles.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:12 PM »
I'm sure it depends on who you ask.  They're more of a song band for me, but that's because of how I was exposed to listening to them (compilations, greatest hits, etc.).  Unlike with the Beatles, I never moved beyond this initial stage into really listening to Beach Boy albums.  So it's probably more my deficiency than theirs.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »
They become more of an album band as you move through the discography.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
love brian wilson the beach boys and laterally the wondermints(brians backing band)!! if you havent already heard the special edition of pet sounds i thoroughly recomend it and smile is worth it just for our prayer/gee ,wonderfull,surfs up,wind chimes and mrs oleary's cow oh and good vibrations!! the dvd is awesome btw
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 05:55:31 AM »
The new single, That's Why God Made The Radio, is pretty good! Hopefully the rest of the album is just as good!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 06:20:38 AM »
Yeah I like the new single a lot. I have high hopes for the new album.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
I also like the new song.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »
I'm listening to Smile for the first time (well, its a fan mix, based on the tracklist from the BW solo album). This is amazing, I like this more than anything else I've heard from the Beach Boys so far.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »
So is there a "definitive" version of smile? Would it make a huge diference if I went with a fan mix over the smile sessions or what?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »
So is there a "definitive" version of smile? Would it make a huge diference if I went with a fan mix over the smile sessions or what?

As far as I'm aware, there are quite a few versions floating around. The bootlegs, the Brian Wilson solo version, the 2011 boxset version, and then fan mixes. Honestly, I would recommend the fan mix I heard as the comments said it was the best version they've heard. I'm still gonna check out the sessions version, I actually am really excited to hear it now just to see how different it is. I can send you this one if you want

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2024, 10:59:33 PM »
sorry to bump a super old topic, but it's probably worth posting it here.

Brian Wilson, after the passing of his wife, is now suffering from Dementia :(

https://consequence.net/2024/02/brian-wilson-dementia-conservatorship/

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2024, 12:04:38 AM »
Yeah I saw that. I'm a huge fan of both Beach Boys and Brian. The hardships never stops coming for Brian. First he loses his wife Melinda and now this.

Love and mercy indeed.