Poll

Do you believe Mike will learn the drum parts to the new album?

Yes
14 (7.1%)
No
93 (47.4%)
Don't Care
52 (26.5%)
Kevin Moore
37 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Author Topic: Mike Portnoy and the DT11 Album  (Read 16570 times)

Offline Orion1967

Re: Mike Portnoy and the DT11 Album
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
I kind of  ::) at the post...   but gave a solid "KEVIN MOORE" anyway, just for shits-n-giggles.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »
Personal feelings aside, MP was one hell of a drummer, and it's obvious that he is like most drummers, in that he can't help it that when he hears a piece of music, he hears the drums louder than anything else - drummers will know what I'm talking about.

not sure how 'loud' he hears various instruments, but MP's gone on record as saying something along the lines of: 90% of the time when he's listening to music, he's listening to everything but the drums.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
Personal feelings aside, MP was one hell of a drummer, and it's obvious that he is like most drummers, in that he can't help it that when he hears a piece of music, he hears the drums louder than anything else - drummers will know what I'm talking about.

not sure how 'loud' he hears various instruments, but MP's gone on record as saying something along the lines of: 90% of the time when he's listening to music, he's listening to everything but the drums.

Here's the source you probably misquoted from

direct from MP.com's official faq - https://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/faq/answers/7.aspx

How does Mike draw inspiration from other bands and their albums? faq id: 23
MP: When I get inspired by other bands, it can be by so many different aspects. (Definitely, NOT just the drums). I can listen to the same CD 10 different times and each time listen to a different element: 1. The Production 2. The song arrangements 3. The interplay between the instruments 4. OK - The drums 5. For that matter - the guitar 6. The bass 7. The keys 8. The vocal melodies 9. The lyrics ETC, ETC, ETC The point is I am inspired by many different bands in many different ways.

Nowhere in there did he say he is listening to anything "but" the drums. Also, you aren't taking in the fact that the question answered wasn't "do you hear the drums louder than anything else"? I was just making an assumption from experience as a drummer.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
i just thought the wording of 'louder' was an odd choice.

as far as my source, that wasn't it...i wish i could remember, but i feel like it was on a dvd commentary, or maybe somewhere  in which he was discussing his time at berkley and/or why he went to music school - definitely some sort of audio of him saying it.

EDIT: awesome, my 420th post was a ricky quote.  :hat

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:20 AM »
Since this thread is kind of weak, let me ask this:  how many people think that mangini is the best drummer?  I know he's really good, but, is he good enough that at least 10-20% of drummers/musicians-who-know-about-drumming would say he is #1?

I think musicians are much less prone to lists and rankings than us fans are. I doubt many drummers would give you a clearcut #1 drummer - they would probably cite at least 4-5 drummers who they believe are very creative, very technical, pioneers in creating new techniques, etc.

Offline composure77

« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2011, 09:50:06 AM »
also, is MP going to be able to even play the parts? After all, MM does have some pretty fast hands  :metal

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »
 :\
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline chucke

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2011, 06:20:35 PM »
If you found a video tape of your exgirlfriend doing her new boyfriend would you practice his moves?

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2011, 12:33:03 AM »
If you found a video tape of your exgirlfriend doing her new boyfriend would you practice his moves?
That was so brutal, because I actually saw my girlfriend doing her lover... Not the feeling that I would want to be into again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2011, 03:28:29 AM »
Wow.  I never thought I'd do so much MP defending in one day!  You people talk about Portnoy as if he's garbage and Mangini is God or something.  Mangini is unbelieve, no doubt.  And, perhaps it's true that Mangini has an edge on Portnoy - I really don't know, I'm not a drummer.  I'll let the drummers debate that one.  But, even if that's true, Portnoy wouldn't be THAT far behind Mangini and could certainly just do this little thing called PRACTICE to bring himself up to where you guys think Mangini's level is above Portnoy.  It wouldn't be that hard for MP considering how good he already is.....

MP maybe not be as "technical" as MM (compare also to the other drummers who auditioned)..but on all other aspects, he is in top..no wonder everyone respects him and considered to be the best drummer now..
Everyone respects him, for sure, but no one thinks he's the best drummer.

Since this thread is kind of weak, let me ask this:  how many people think that mangini is the best drummer?  I know he's really good, but, is he good enough that at least 10-20% of drummers/musicians-who-know-about-drumming would say he is #1?
Probably none.  But he is definitely among the best rock-style drummers in the world. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2011, 03:33:33 AM »
That was so brutal, because I actually saw my girlfriend doing her lover... Not the feeling that I would want to be into again.

Ouch!

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »

Ouch!
Ouch is a bad word to discribe it ;) Two and a half year passed since that happens and I still have nightmares about it sometimes. Anyway, MP's feeling when he looks on present DT is probably little less damaging than mine ;) I didn't want ever to be in any of those situation in live again ;)

Offline Aniland

« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2011, 07:40:33 AM »
^That just makes me feel ache in ways that I hope I'll never have to experience. Sorry man :(

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2011, 07:52:28 AM »
^That just makes me feel ache in ways that I hope I'll never have to experience. Sorry man :(

Cool Man ;) that's gone in 90% now ;)
Let's break this offtopic called "my-life-sucks and is shitty as hell" and get on to actual topic ;)

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »
Back on topic ;)
 I have no doubt he'll pick it up, MP's too big a music fan to pass it up.

But as for learning the drum parts, I can't imagine he would for what I can imagine are myriad reasons.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »
I just don't understand how anybody could entertain the thought that MP will use his time to learn the drum parts for the DT album.

So, No.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2011, 11:53:28 PM »
well...will MP get the album for free or will he have to buy it...
maybe he will download it when it leaks :lol   

i'm sure it will suck for MP to hear the new album when it's out. but than again depending on the music which DT will put out it can or put a smile to his face....or making him think....fuck :sad:

and i do think that when mp is at his home he for sure will put it on and jam along with it....not learning just jamming along to it.
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2011, 08:24:34 AM »
and i do think that when mp is at his home he for sure will put it on and jam along with it....not learning just jamming along to it.
I disagree. I'm sure he has plenty of better things to do with his time.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
There's also the potential pride factor that most guys will fall to. He might hear the CD and say "Well...........I could do that" and set out to prove it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
There's also the potential pride factor that most guys will fall to. He might hear the CD and say "Well...........I could do that" and set out to prove it.

ooh, never thought of that. That's a good insight, Adami

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »

Even if he did, I doubt he'd let anyone know, just to try and keep things civil amongst fanbases.

Either way, I really do think Mike is too busy to do it. He tweeted the other day that, right after finishing the Testimony 2 North American Tour with Neal Morse, he's off to LA for another project. The man's been busy non-stop since December is practically a new project/tour every month! Testimony 2 album, MMPLM album, Metal project/album, Yellow Matter Custard shows, Meet & Greets, Testimony 2 tour, and now something else!

The man knows how to stay busy, and at this rate, he'll probably end up touring MMPLM (if the other 4 guys are up to it/can schedule it) later this year, and Mike Orlando has gone on to say that they plan on touring together with Russell Allen and Paul DiLeo for their metal project after the album is released, so that's at least one more tour Mike is going to participate in.

I would love to see Mike form another new cover band with Paul Gilbert, either something in the classic rock vein or early metal. Mike doesn't really have the time to, or need to learn the new DT album when there's SOOOO many better and more important things for him to do with his career now. He's keeping busy and keeping (many of) his fans content with his various projects/tours.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »
I'm sure that even if he did learn some of the drum parts, he wouldn't tell the fans. But as busy as he sounds, the album isn't going anywhere, it will still be there when he has down time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »
As a proud man I would imagine MP will listen to the album once but say he hasn't. Otherwise all he'll get is questions about whether he liked it. At least if he says he hasn't he avoids that. I don't think he'll want to listen to it but he'll have to, the urge will be too much. And I imagine he'll want it to suck.
And I don't think he's the biggest DT fan anymore...
I don't mean any of that as an insult, it's just human nature and is exactly how I'd be in his shoes.

Oh, to the question, no he won't learn the songs. He won't have any need.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
As a proud man I would imagine MP will listen to the album once but say he hasn't. Otherwise all he'll get is questions about whether he liked it. At least if he says he hasn't he avoids that. I don't think he'll want to listen to it but he'll have to, the urge will be too much. And I imagine he'll want it to suck.
And I don't think he's the biggest DT fan anymore...
I don't mean any of that as an insult, it's just human nature and is exactly how I'd be in his shoes.

Oh, to the question, no he won't learn the songs. He won't have any need.

I don't think MP has commented on anything DT related in a while now.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »
An appropriate question would be what will be Mikes opinion of DT XI. Will he say it's crap or a political answer is said?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »
Will he listen to it? Absolutely. The man has a really hard time letting things go (see Kevin Moore), so he will take the knife (I.e. the album), stick it in and slooowly turn it.
Will he learn stuff off it? Maybe parts to prove to himself he's as good a drummer. Which could down badly if MM really chooses to play something MP can't. Knowing Mike that could really scrape his ego.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
Will he listen to it? Absolutely. The man has a really hard time letting things go (see Kevin Moore), so he will take the knife (I.e. the album), stick it in and slooowly turn it.
Will he learn stuff off it? Maybe parts to prove to himself he's as good a drummer. Which could down badly if MM really chooses to play something MP can't. Knowing Mike that could really scrape his ego.

I don't see that.  Portnoy has had no problem "dumbing down" drum parts on certain covers in the past, and I doubt he'd think anything of having to do it if he actually practiced the drum parts from the forthcoming CD.  While he eats up the recognition (like when winning MD awards, for example), I think he has enough self-awareness to know that he is not the end-all be-all of drummers.  He admits to not practicing much, and is probably well aware of what limitations he has, which is why he generally sticks to what he does best.

Online Adami

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:11 PM »

I don't see that.  Portnoy has had no problem "dumbing down" drum parts on certain covers in the past, and I doubt he'd think anything of having to do it if he actually practiced the drum parts from the forthcoming CD.  While he eats up the recognition (like when winning MD awards, for example), I think he has enough self-awareness to know that he is not the end-all be-all of drummers.  He admits to not practicing much, and is probably well aware of what limitations he has, which is why he generally sticks to what he does best.

As far Rumboraks point, and he can correct if I'm wrong, it's not so much hearing a drum part that he can't do (which is probably often enough), as it is hearing a drum part he can't do in a Dream Theater song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com