Poll

Do you believe Mike will learn the drum parts to the new album?

Yes
14 (7.1%)
No
93 (47.4%)
Don't Care
52 (26.5%)
Kevin Moore
37 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Author Topic: Mike Portnoy and the DT11 Album  (Read 16568 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: Mike Portnoy and the DT11 Album
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 08:06:27 PM »
Interesing question indeed. I choose don't care... but then I started to think ;) and I think that he would definitively listen to DT11, but I see no point in learning by him drum parts from that album.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »
Drummer #5 sounds like Derek Roddy
Not that much like Derek Roddy. He didn't mention snakes once.

NB: Should point out that Derek Roddy does seem like a pretty cool guy, but I love the quirky snake stuff so much that I really want to exaggerate him into DTF's version of crazy cat lady. Crazy snake man. He uses taut vipers as sticks. And has a best friend called Mr. Fangs who he consults on every decision. "What's that Mr. Fangs? You think I should sabotage the sound on my audition footage? You're a naughty boy Mr. Fangs!"

Wonder if we could get that onto Blabbermouth. SERPENTS RISE drummer DEREK RODDY: "I consult a reptile friend."

...Do we need a citation, or will they just print any old tat?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 11:25:57 PM »
Learn them? I'll be surprised of he even listens to the album.

Oh, come on.  There is no way he won't listen to the album the first chance he gets.  He is far too big of a music fan to not hear what they will do without him, especially since he once referred to himself as "the world's biggest Dream Theater fan."

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:14 PM »
He'll most likely listen to the album. But learning the songs? Most definitely not. Maybe for playing along to them, but I doubt that.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
yes..

and he will definitely listen DT11..

guys..let's accept there are still people who will desperately link MP to DT..we still want MP back..and we should respect it..

Wow, you just don't give up.

i will not give up until DT12 comes..  ;D

yes..

guys..let's accept there are still people who will desperately link MP to DT..we still want MP back..and we should respect it..

Why do you link MP to DT so strongly?  Why do you want him back so badly?

it's pretty obvious..MP is DT and DT is almost = MP..but not until he 9/8/10..i admit..i'm more of MP fan than a DT fan..

it's the music..i'm afraid of the CHANGE that happened..i can't imagine i'll be listening to a different DT..

again..we have all our own opinion and wants..it's just were not in the majority..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 12:50:19 AM »
Well Clincks I think that there is nothing bad in listening to different DT, as it will be different from latest albums, more Images & Awake stuff will be ok ;) But I have to admit that sometimes I have feeling that it will be the lightest DT album... ;)

Offline clinks63

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 12:55:05 AM »
Well Clincks I think that there is nothing bad in listening to different DT, as it will be different from latest albums, more Images & Awake stuff will be ok ;) But I have to admit that sometimes I have feeling that it will be the lightest DT album... ;)

silent man, disappear, vacant

i agree..it may be the lightest album..

"the third arrives..."

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 12:59:07 AM »
I think the important question is this:  if Mangini, for some reason, was unable to continue playing in DT and they held auditions again, would Portnoy have to go through the audition process?

This won't be a first, since Ian Gillan had to practically audition for Deep Purple when the 3rd (and final?) reunion of the famous Mk. 2 happened, back in 1993.

But, if MP ever returns (and that's a big if), his role will be completely different.

And to answer the initial question, no, I don't see MP learning the parts because a) he probably won't be able to and b) if a reunion happens, they will have a lot of material to play live from the MP albums, so no need for the MM songs to be played. Jon Anderson did it, Ian Gillan did it, Ozzy Osbourne did it.

As for clinks63, I have to remind you that most of the times in the history of music, it's been proven that the sum is greater than the parts, so DT=MP isn't that accurate at all.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »

silent man, disappear, vacant

i agree..it may be the lightest album..
Well you know, only because of that the most heaviness comes out from MP... I don't say that JP doesn't like to kick some asses with some metal agressive riffing, but I'm worried about that we can get it in a very low amount...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 03:24:59 AM »
This poll is so ridiculous, it actually made me pick the Kevin Moore option for the first time in my life.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 03:27:49 AM »
I am so tired of posts that only contain " :facepalm:" or "wow".

No, I don't think he will, because as far as the evidence shows, MP doesn't care much about DT anymore.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2011, 04:32:38 AM »
yes..

yes..

it's pretty obvious..MP is DT and DT is almost = MP..but not until he 9/8/10..i admit..i'm more of MP fan than a DT fan..

it's the music..i'm afraid of the CHANGE that happened..i can't imagine i'll be listening to a different DT..

again..we have all our own opinion and wants..it's just were not in the majority..
I don't know how to tell you this, but he's gone and he isn't coming back, so learn to deal with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 04:44:37 AM »
Yeah, I don't think it's a matter of opinion anymore. You can enjoy DT more or less with the drummer change and you can think it would be better if MP returned, but the reality is that they have taken MM as a permanent member and a return of MP isn't in the books right now. It's just a fact.

Offline farsight

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 04:53:34 AM »
Mike will probably air drum to it, but I think theres no reason for him to devote time to learn the songs.

What Im interested in knowing is, how Mike will get the album. Will he buy it? borrow it? or will someone give it to him for free?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:01 AM »
Mike will probably air drum to it, but I think theres no reason for him to devote time to learn the songs.

What Im interested in knowing is, how Mike will get the album. Will he buy it? borrow it? or will someone give it to him for free?

You know what? To really piss his ex bandmates, he will download it for free through illegal channels! ;D

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »

You know what? To really piss his ex bandmates, he will download it for free through illegal channels! ;D

B.Lee
No, he will steal it from Wallace's desk and spread through the internet  :metal ::) :o  :loser:

Offline stryker

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2011, 07:19:26 AM »

This

Offline Aniland

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2011, 07:23:48 AM »
yes..

yes..

Oh speak for yourself.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2011, 07:25:56 AM »
I am so tired of posts that only contain " :facepalm:" or "wow".

I think the  :facepalm: was designed to be literally the most obnoxious face on a forum.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2011, 07:31:06 AM »

I'm curious if he'd get his hands on an advanced copy of the cd.

As for the songs, no he won't learn them unless he re-joins the band which I think is unlikely.

He will listen to the cd though, for sure.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »

B.Lee
No, he will steal it from Wallace's desk and spread through the internet  :metal ::) :o  :loser:

Well, but Wallace only mixes the album, he will need the dark master (nuggets) to spread it all over the world in the presence of enemies! :biggrin: :metal :xbones

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »

B.Lee
No, he will steal it from Wallace's desk and spread through the internet  :metal ::) :o  :loser:

Well, but Wallace only mixes the album, he will need the "dark" master (nuggets) to spread it all over the world in the presence of enemies! :biggrin: :metal :xbones

B.Lee

Sorry for 2x post.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »
I think he will listen to the album, but not publicly comment on it. He is too close to the situation and any negative comments he makes will be construed as sour grapes. And I really can't see him saying "wow, this is great" as he is very proud and obviously very hurt by what has transpired over the past 7 months.

So, I will say he will DEFINITELY not learn the drum parts.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2011, 10:49:25 AM »
Kinda pointless question, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.

I feel like he would learn them.

EDIT: A little clarification; by "learn" the tracks, I mean practice them and be prepared to play them, if need be, for the band.

Sounds like you have no faith at all for Mangini.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »
I think If he would sit down and learn the drumparts, he would have a very difficult time with it. Without being disrespectful to MP, MM is miles ahead when it comes to the technicality.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
I think If he would sit down and learn the drumparts, he would have a very difficult time with it. Without being disrespectful to MP, MM is miles ahead when it comes to the technicality.

Sad to say but true. Imagine MM leaving DT in some years and the band having a new audition with MP. Do you think he'll be able to nail Mangini's work like MM did with his? Hmm... Tough task.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »

EDIT: A little clarification; by "learn" the tracks, I mean practice them and be prepared to play them, if need be, for the band.

I have plenty of faith for Mangini! I wish him the best of luck, and as much as I like Portnoy, I'm very excited to hear/watch Mangini play.
I underlined part of my statement to emphasize my train of thought; seeing as how Portnoy wanted back in, I thought maybe he'd spend the time trying to learn the new drum parts, so that, in the extremely unlikely (pretty much non-existent) scenario where he rejoins DT.

Someone mentioned earlier that Portnoy doing so would be rather pathetic, and I agree to an extent. But the man loves DT, he did regret his decision to leave, and he did ask if he could rejoin the group, so I figured it was possible that Portnoy might still be holding on to that small hope.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »

I have plenty of faith for Mangini! I wish him the best of luck, and as much as I like Portnoy, I'm very excited to hear/watch Mangini play.
I underlined part of my statement to emphasize my train of thought; seeing as how Portnoy wanted back in, I thought maybe he'd spend the time trying to learn the new drum parts, so that, in the extremely unlikely (pretty much non-existent) scenario where he rejoins DT.

Someone mentioned earlier that Portnoy doing so would be rather pathetic, and I agree to an extent. But the man loves DT, he did regret his decision to leave, and he did ask if he could rejoin the group, so I figured it was possible that Portnoy might still be holding on to that small hope.

Mike knows better than all of us what MM is capable to. I don't think he has any hope.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 03:20:22 AM »
Wow.  I never thought I'd do so much MP defending in one day!  You people talk about Portnoy as if he's garbage and Mangini is God or something.  Mangini is unbelieve, no doubt.  And, perhaps it's true that Mangini has an edge on Portnoy - I really don't know, I'm not a drummer.  I'll let the drummers debate that one.  But, even if that's true, Portnoy wouldn't be THAT far behind Mangini and could certainly just do this little thing called PRACTICE to bring himself up to where you guys think Mangini's level is above Portnoy.  It wouldn't be that hard for MP considering how good he already is.....
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline clinks63

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »
Wow.  I never thought I'd do so much MP defending in one day!  You people talk about Portnoy as if he's garbage and Mangini is God or something.  Mangini is unbelieve, no doubt.  And, perhaps it's true that Mangini has an edge on Portnoy - I really don't know, I'm not a drummer.  I'll let the drummers debate that one.  But, even if that's true, Portnoy wouldn't be THAT far behind Mangini and could certainly just do this little thing called PRACTICE to bring himself up to where you guys think Mangini's level is above Portnoy.  It wouldn't be that hard for MP considering how good he already is.....

MP maybe not be as "technical" as MM (compare also to the other drummers who auditioned)..but on all other aspects, he is in top..no wonder everyone respects him and considered to be the best drummer now..

"the third arrives..."

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 07:36:45 AM »
Wow.  I never thought I'd do so much MP defending in one day!  You people talk about Portnoy as if he's garbage and Mangini is God or something.  Mangini is unbelieve, no doubt.  And, perhaps it's true that Mangini has an edge on Portnoy - I really don't know, I'm not a drummer.  I'll let the drummers debate that one.  But, even if that's true, Portnoy wouldn't be THAT far behind Mangini and could certainly just do this little thing called PRACTICE to bring himself up to where you guys think Mangini's level is above Portnoy.  It wouldn't be that hard for MP considering how good he already is.....

MP maybe not be as "technical" as MM (compare also to the other drummers who auditioned)..but on all other aspects, he is in top..no wonder everyone respects him and considered to be the best drummer now..

I don't think anyone besides MP fans considers him the best drummer nowadays.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 07:57:40 AM »
Wow.  I never thought I'd do so much MP defending in one day!  You people talk about Portnoy as if he's garbage and Mangini is God or something.  Mangini is unbelieve, no doubt.  And, perhaps it's true that Mangini has an edge on Portnoy - I really don't know, I'm not a drummer.  I'll let the drummers debate that one.  But, even if that's true, Portnoy wouldn't be THAT far behind Mangini and could certainly just do this little thing called PRACTICE to bring himself up to where you guys think Mangini's level is above Portnoy.  It wouldn't be that hard for MP considering how good he already is.....

I don't think anyone besides MP fans considers him the best drummer nowadays.

while i agree that i wouldn't consider him the "best" drummer, it is true that portnoy is admired in the drumming community for aspects other than technicality. his creativity is very well respected, as he is known to produce some incredibly intricate and off the wall parts that can be difficult to reproduce, despite his lack of knowledge in the "technique" department. i mean, it all comes down to taste, but if someone wanted to argue that MP was the best, there certainly would be some feasibility to it as he can hang there with other big names. if someone like *cough* ulrich was mentioned though, that wouldn't be a valid argument, at least to me.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »

Everyone respects him, for sure, but no one thinks he's the best drummer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2011, 01:44:04 PM »

Oh, come on.  There is no way he won't listen to the album the first chance he gets.  He is far too big of a music fan to not hear what they will do without him, especially since he once referred to himself as "the world's biggest Dream Theater fan."

Yea but it seems he has hurt feelings that he is no longer in the band. It might be real hard for him right now to listen to a DT album that he is not a part of.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »

Everyone respects him, for sure, but no one thinks he's the best drummer.

Since this thread is kind of weak, let me ask this:  how many people think that mangini is the best drummer?  I know he's really good, but, is he good enough that at least 10-20% of drummers/musicians-who-know-about-drumming would say he is #1?