Poll

Do you believe Mike will learn the drum parts to the new album?

Yes
14 (7.1%)
No
93 (47.4%)
Don't Care
52 (26.5%)
Kevin Moore
37 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 188

Author Topic: Mike Portnoy and the DT11 Album  (Read 16569 times)

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
Mike Portnoy and the DT11 Album
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
Kinda pointless question, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.

I feel like he would learn them.

EDIT: A little clarification; by "learn" the tracks, I mean practice them and be prepared to play them, if need be, for the band.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:17:05 PM by Aramatheis »

Offline Knguro

Re: Mike Portnoy and the DT11 Album
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:12:07 PM »
 :facepalm:
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 05:22:59 PM »
ha
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
Don't care.

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:55 PM »
If he ever rejoins then he'll do it then probably, but since I don't think he'll do that no.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 05:29:32 PM »
If he ever rejoins then he'll do it then probably, but since I don't think he'll do that no.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »
Learn them? I'll be surprised of he even listens to the album.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
I say no, but it might really depend on two things - 1) Can he physically learn/play them? I know MP is a great drummer and all, but MM has different skills than MP might have, so it could just be a matter of whether or not he can actually play them...and 2) Will the songs go over well enough with the fans that the band, if MP were to ever rejoin, would want to play them with MP? I mean if we get a hit single or two, MP might just have to learn them.

Then again, Portnoy could pull a Jon Anderson and never play any of the songs from DT11 if he were to rejoin afterwards, but really at this point, it seems less and less likely he'll EVER rejoin, especially right after one album with MM. The only context I can see him learning any of the DT11-or-later material would be as a guest spot/reunion show, but only for a single show. Then again, if he was just doing one show reunion, he'd have 10 albums of material to play that he would already know the drum parts for.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
this is one of those deceptively complex questions. for someone to simply write it off as a pointless question, doesn't make any sense to me. posts like  :facepalm:, in my opinion, are inappropriate.  

so, in direct response to your question, will he?

my guess would be that in an inadvertent way, he will. I can guarantee you that he will buy the album (can you imagine how he will feel walking into a record store and buying a DT album, having no idea what's on it?). Personal feelings aside, MP was one hell of a drummer, and it's obvious that he is like most drummers, in that he can't help it that when he hears a piece of music, he hears the drums louder than anything else - drummers will know what I'm talking about. Will he learn the parts verbatim? I have no idea. Will he learn a portion of the parts by simply being exposed to the album? Absolutely.  

So, by that logic, yeah, he will learn, at least some of the parts from the new album.

edit - well, since you edited your OP...then no. he wont. he won't know them well enough to play them with the band. but he will, to a certain degree, be familiar with them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:42:23 PM by ricky »
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 05:41:40 PM »
Kevin Moore
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Knguro

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »
mmm what can i say, i simple dont care.  :facepalm: is my opinion as valid as yours.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »
posts like  :facepalm:, in my opinion, are inappropriate. 

I agree.  However, I will say that why someone would ask the question is a headscratcher.  What motivation would Mike possibly have to learn the new songs?  I just don't get it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Knguro

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »

I agree.  However, I will say that why someone would ask the question is a headscratcher.  What motivation would Mike possibly have to learn the new songs?  I just don't get it.

my point.

Offline raygun47

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:01:59 PM »
He's gotta be interested enough to listen to it I would think.  Wonder if it would make his "year end" lists.  

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:03:02 PM »
posts like  :facepalm:, in my opinion, are inappropriate.  

I agree.  However, I will say that why someone would ask the question is a headscratcher.  What motivation would Mike possibly have to learn the new songs? I just don't get it.

my point.

Yes, but:

[explanation]...I don't get it
isn't rude.

:facepalm:
is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »

my point.

Are you saying you just don't understand?

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 06:07:20 PM »

Well he could be holding on to hope that it doesn't work out with Mangini, and that he might get to return to the band. I doubt it, but technically it is possible.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 06:07:47 PM »
He'll never learn them. I don't even think he'll say anything about the new album. The only recent DT thing from Mike recently has been
A) I never wanted a public split
B) Shortly before or after MM was announced, he said how this is still very hard for him and that all MP was trying to do was save them from themselves

The least MP could do is say, Yeah it was great or a simple good job!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Knguro

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »

my point.

Are you saying you just don't understand?

NOW WAIT A MINUTE MAAAAAAN THAT´S NOT HOW IT IIIIIIIIIIIS YOU MUST BE CONFUSED THAT INST WHAT I SAID....

meeh, it was just my humble opinion. period i never insulted anybody. Done with the topic.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »
oh, he will listen to it alright. if anything in this universe can be 100% certain, this is it.

KMO

Offline Aniland

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »

Really? I think that's pushing it. I'm sure that he'll almost definitely listen to the album since the guys are still a. his friends, and b. he respects Mangini. I would think he'd want to listen to what the band he founded does.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »
I think the guys are gonna be on good terms someday. When that time comes and the whole MP/DT drama is put aside, I wouldn't be surprised if he went to a show or something like that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
we will know if they will be on good terms if they ever invite him to play the AA songs for a DVD. if he declines... he will make KM smile :D

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »
I can imagine MP picking up the record but I can't picture him bothering to learn the drum parts.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
yes..

and he will definitely listen DT11..

guys..let's accept there are still people who will desperately link MP to DT..we still want MP back..and we should respect it..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »
It's like this.  If I broke up with my long-time girlfriend, but then later tried to get back together only to discover she had moved on to someone else... would I then start dressing like him?  Or buy the same kind of jacket he has just in case?

No.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »
yes..

guys..let's accept there are still people who will desperately link MP to DT..we still want MP back..and we should respect it..

Wow, you just don't give up.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 07:11:02 PM »
It's like this.  If I broke up with my long-time girlfriend, but then later tried to get back together only to discover she had moved on to someone else... would I then start dressing like him?  Or buy the same kind of jacket he has just in case?

No.

I'd say it's more keeping the house just as she liked it in hopes she'll come back.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »
yes..

Why do you link MP to DT so strongly?  Why do you want him back so badly?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »

No.

I'd say it's more keeping the house just as she liked it in hopes she'll come back.

Bingo.  That's what I was going for... nicely done.  And either way, it's a little pathetic, and frankly I would hope (and assume) that MP would move on and start sleeping in the middle of the bed and leave the toilet seat up.

Offline xShammas

• SHAAAAMMAAAAAS TAAAAKE MYYY HAAAAND!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 07:37:47 PM »
I think Mike has accepted that he is out of DT and is moving on, so I don't think he'll learn them. I don't think he has the mentality of "I need to learn these so when they come crawling back, I'll be on the right page". I'm not saying he won't listen to the album and learn a couple grooves, but I don't think he'll take it to the extent of learning each song to the point of being able to play them with DT.

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
Super No!...

Tin

Offline JPX

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »

Well he could be holding on to hope that it doesn't work out with Mangini, and that he might get to return to the band. I doubt it, but technically it is possible.

It's technically possible that he could learn every Metallica song incase Lars leaves one day, but neither of those things will ever happen.

I'm sure he'll listen to the album, but he's a busy man with zero reason to need to learn songs for a band he isn't in.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
I think the important question is this:  if Mangini, for some reason, was unable to continue playing in DT and they held auditions again, would Portnoy have to go through the audition process?  I can just imagine it:  "We picked seven of the best drummers in the world to audition for us...."

Drummer #1:  "It's always been my dream to play in this band."

Drummer #2:  "I really want this."

Drummer #3:  "These guys are my heroes."

Drummer #4:  "I think it went really well."

Drummer #5:  "I really felt the chemistry while I was in there."

Drummer #6:  "I hope I get the spot in this band." 

PORTNOY:  "I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE TO AUDITION TO GET BACK IN MY OWN FUCKING BAND!"  .... as the camera suddenly cuts back to the rest of the band going:  "Um.... uh, yeah, that last drummer was, um, our former drummer.  He's a little pissed."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 07:52:19 PM »
Drummer #5 sounds like Derek Roddy
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen