Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 268778 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2555 on: August 25, 2022, 08:32:09 AM »
Watched it last night with the Mrs. Without any spoilers...it's classic Mastodon. You get all the album info, and their usual brand of humor.  :lol

Solid 90 minutes. But the fucking commercials on YouTube are annoying as hell.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2556 on: August 25, 2022, 01:25:27 PM »
It is such a tragic album, yet they managed to make the documentary absolutely hilarious. Kudos to Mastodon.  :metal

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2557 on: August 25, 2022, 04:28:42 PM »
Just finished watching it, and I loved it.
I remember watching the Emperor of Sand documentary and that really helped give me a greater appreciation for some of the songs.

I'll spin Hushed and Grim tomorrow, see how it hits.

One thing that sticks with me, whenever I watch these guys, is that I LOVE their dress sense/style. Mainly Brent and Brann, but also a bit of Bill. Their personality really comes out in how they dress themselves. They are an inspiration for me in many ways, clearly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2558 on: August 25, 2022, 04:33:07 PM »
Hushed and Grim was my favorite album of 2021.

Wow!!
I don't get it.

There were so many great albums released in 2021.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2559 on: August 25, 2022, 07:53:47 PM »

Wow!!
I don't get it.

What were your favorites? 2021 was one of those rare years where there were a lot of good albums, but nothing that stuck out to me as being real "AOTY material".
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2560 on: August 25, 2022, 07:55:51 PM »

Wow!!
I don't get it.

Still number 2 behind Senjutsu for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2561 on: August 26, 2022, 06:39:19 AM »
I haven't listened to Hushed and Grim or Mastodon in many months, but the documentary made me want to spin H&G again!

I really loved Hushed and Grim, and it was probably my favorite album of 21!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2562 on: August 26, 2022, 08:31:58 AM »
Yea it was my album of the year also, although I don't think it's their best by any means. Still a great album, it's just they have such a strong catalogue.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2563 on: August 26, 2022, 12:54:09 PM »

Wow!!
I don't get it.

What were your favorites? 2021 was one of those rare years where there were a lot of good albums, but nothing that stuck out to me as being real "AOTY material".

My faves of 2021?

Helloween-s/t
Flotsam & Jetsam-Blood In The Water
Iron Maiden-Senjutsu
Tribulation-When Gloom Becomes Sound
Dream Theater-A View From The Top Of The World
Seven Sisters-Shadow Of A Fallen Star Pt.1
Iotunn-Access All Worlds
Witherfall-The Curse Of Autum
Accept-Too Mean To Die
Michael Schenker-Immortal
Alice Cooper-Detroit Stories
Nahtram-Forest Of Eternal Dawn
Null-Hiraeth
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2564 on: August 29, 2022, 01:05:14 PM »

Wow!!
I don't get it.

I feel the same as you, but in the end, I know I'm just not a huge Mastadon fan compared to those who rate this album so highly.  I like it, but it feels like it needs 4 songs cut for it to be rated higher for me. 

I'm trying to figure out how I can make either the Trenton or Long Island on their current tour with Ghost and Spiritbox.  That's a fantastic 3 band line up, but the dates/locations don't really work in my favor.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2565 on: September 02, 2022, 09:11:06 AM »
I’m surprised the boys in Mastodon haven’t released a statement about all the crap with Scott Kelly. I imagine they’re gonna sever ties with him and never work with him again….maybe that’s why he wasn’t on HaG?

Offline Bentower

« Reply #2566 on: September 02, 2022, 11:24:40 AM »
I’m surprised the boys in Mastodon haven’t released a statement about all the crap with Scott Kelly. I imagine they’re gonna sever ties with him and never work with him again….maybe that’s why he wasn’t on HaG?

It's doubtable, but if he's a man of his word his musical career is finished anyway. I reckon he's been unreachable in recent years, to all and sundry.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2567 on: September 02, 2022, 02:30:29 PM »

If he has retired from music like he says then Mastodon have no option.  You would hope though either way Mastodon would call it quits with him regardless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2568 on: September 02, 2022, 02:32:08 PM »

It's doubtable, but if he's a man of his word his musical career is finished anyway. I reckon he's been unreachable in recent years, to all and sundry.

Should have read this first.  Did I read something was brought to light in 2019?  Mastodon might have decided early to not work with him, plus H&G was a personal album for them so made sense either way.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2569 on: September 02, 2022, 02:48:30 PM »
The other guys in Neurosis found out about his behavior and kicked him out in 2019. Nothing was made public until recently. Scott sang on Fallen Torches on Medium Rarities and I would think Mastodon would have removed that song or at least his vocals if they were aware of it back then in 2020. They likely learned about it between the release of MR and the recording of H&G and didn’t invite him back for that record.

Just theorizing of course. We obviously don’t know for certain.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2570 on: April 21, 2023, 10:35:37 AM »
Saw the show they did last night with Gojira in Concord, Calif. My second time seeing them, and first since 2012 on The Hunter tour. Man, have these guys progressed from the clubs. They played a heavy set (I'm guessing due to the pairing with Gojira) and they really put on a great show. They played a handful from Leviathan, just one from Crack the Skye (bummed about that) and a couple from the latest record, Hushed & Grim, which was a bit of a bummer too. Crack the Skye and Hushed & Grim are my two favorites by them, so sadly, they were underrepresented this time around. But that's okay. It was cool hearing seven songs from Leviathan and Blood Mountain.

They played 15 songs, total (setlist.fm has it wrong, they did not play Circle of Cysquatch). The cut the set a song short from the other night in Portland. Troy mentioned before "Blood and Thunder" that they had to make curfew (they have a show tonight in LA), so that was a bummer. Gojira did the same thing. They cut their set short by one song from Portland.

Interestingly, I thought this would be Mastodon's show, as they are closing the gigs. I was wrong. The crowd was really mostly there for Gojira. First time seeing them. I have Fortitude, and I like it. Seeing them live really pushed forward this thought, and my wife shared it - the drummer, as talented as he is, overplays. That's funny considering Brann Dailor from Mastodon's playing style. But while it works in Mastodon, and there's space to sing and breathe in the songs, for Gojira, I felt like their older stuff was a wall of sound. Talented guys, but way overplaying. Could be the old fogey in me, but I thought songs where they had some space in there to take a breath were much better.

For my wife and I, it was all about the mighty Mastodon though. When I saw them on The Hunter tour, it was in a 900-capacity club. No video, no spotlights (they played almost in the dark). Last night they had all the video, and had lights (and spotlights). What I also noticed, and loved, was just like 11 years ago, Mastodon was FULLY live. Every vocal was live, every effect was live (they brought on a keyboardist). Whereas Gojira, they had vocals piped in, as nobody else by the lead vocalist/guitarist sang. So there were instances he was singing with a vocal backing track. That's fine to me, to make up for layering, which is what they did it for. But I was really happy to see Mastodon going old school and playing completely live.

Anyway, a great double-bill. And anyone who is a fan, try to catch them. Tons of fun last night. Here are some videos:

Edit - the quality looks shitty on a couple. Not sure what's up. Sorry.

Gojira - Flying Whales - https://youtu.be/ggufrmBGZz0

Gojira - The Gift of Guilt - https://youtu.be/hUW9V4ABe_o

Mastodon - Divinations - https://youtu.be/brTfbuRis7A

Mastodon - Pushing the Tides - https://youtu.be/rPXecGg5iqQ

Mastodon - More Than I Could Chew - https://youtu.be/EAeqCK2eiWE

Mastodon - Blood and Thunder - https://youtu.be/vA7-MNk1mx0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 10:57:41 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2571 on: April 21, 2023, 11:02:42 AM »
Didn't catch Lorna Shore?

I really want to see this tour in Coney Island

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2572 on: April 21, 2023, 11:16:01 AM »

When we got there, Lorna Shore was on stage, and we really didn't like what we heard. So we opted to wait in the merch line. As we got to our seats, they were literally thanking the crowd and went off stage. It actually worked out well for us. (No offense at all to those who are fans of theirs - just not our thing.)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2573 on: April 21, 2023, 11:23:18 AM »
I, too, will see this tour today in Inglewood at The Forum.  Will leave after work at 5 PM.  I'm not fussed about the opener, so I'm in no rush as long as it doesn't take two hours to be stuck in that sweet Friday evening 405 traffic.  No worries, I've already loaded up the playlist on what Mastodon is going to play.  I took a listen to what Gojira was playing the other day, but haven't done the same with Mastodon and that will be the time killer for the drive. 

I saw Mastodon at the Greek Theater back in 2019 with Coheed & Cambria and while the performance was solid, I don't think it was that memorable for me.  It also hurts that the sound that day wasn't optimal and there was people in front of me talking about the songs throughout the entire set which affected my ability to hear the set.  Maybe this time around, my impressions will be better.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2574 on: April 21, 2023, 11:26:03 AM »
If Concord was any indication, if you want merch, get there early. The lines are looooooong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: April 21, 2023, 11:32:44 AM »

When we got there, Lorna Shore was on stage, and we really didn't like what we heard. So we opted to wait in the merch line. As we got to our seats, they were literally thanking the crowd and went off stage. It actually worked out well for us. (No offense at all to those who are fans of theirs - just not our thing.)

I don't really like them myself, it's too extreme for my tastes, but that singer is something else that may be worth watching (until you can't take it anymore  :lol).  I saw them last year and wasn't into them, but everyone I spoke to at that show was floored by the vocalist and I've seen a lot of youtube videos about him (like they put a camera down his throat to see how he can scream like that).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2576 on: April 21, 2023, 12:26:18 PM »
Interestingly, I thought this would be Mastodon's show, as they are closing the gigs. I was wrong. The crowd was really mostly there for Gojira. First time seeing them. I have Fortitude, and I like it. Seeing them live really pushed forward this thought, and my wife shared it - the drummer, as talented as he is, overplays. That's funny considering Brann Dailor from Mastodon's playing style. But while it works in Mastodon, and there's space to sing and breathe in the songs, for Gojira, I felt like their older stuff was a wall of sound. Talented guys, but way overplaying. Could be the old fogey in me, but I thought songs where they had some space in there to take a breath were much better.
Anyway, a great double-bill. And anyone who is a fan, try to catch them. Tons of fun last night.
If it's similar to what they did with Opeth, they might alternate nights on who closes out the night. Glad you enjoyed the show though, they definitely put up a good show, and I can't wait for the August show.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: April 21, 2023, 12:32:00 PM »
Yeah, the show was outstanding, and it was packed too. The crowd was REALLY into Gojira, as I said. Massive pit. People going nuts. I mean, Mastodon had the crowd riled up too, it just took longer. When they closed with Blood and Thunder, the crowd was just as insane as they were for Gojira.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2578 on: April 21, 2023, 01:06:41 PM »

I don't really like them myself, it's too extreme for my tastes, but that singer is something else that may be worth watching (until you can't take it anymore  :lol).  I saw them last year and wasn't into them, but everyone I spoke to at that show was floored by the vocalist and I've seen a lot of youtube videos about him (like they put a camera down his throat to see how he can scream like that).

That would be my thought - I like some of the music, but seeing that guy perform would be a highlight of their set.  He seems very highly regarded as a growler.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2579 on: May 04, 2023, 02:44:06 AM »
I'm really in the mood to crank some 'Don today. I think it's because I've been seeing lots of footage on reddit from their current co-headline tour with Gojira. It's also a little to do with compiling my top 25 drummers list... because Brann.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2580 on: May 04, 2023, 04:22:49 AM »
It's simply never a bad time to spin some Mastodon.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2581 on: May 04, 2023, 04:27:47 AM »

Yea, this much is true. I really want to see them live, as I think I've only caught them twice before. Their setlists on the current tour are really good, and they are generally opening with The Wolf is Loose  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2582 on: May 04, 2023, 04:42:13 AM »

Yea, this much is true. I really want to see them live, as I think I've only caught them twice before. Their setlists on the current tour are really good, and they are generally opening with The Wolf is Loose  :metal

Just had a look.  Followed up with Crystal Skull!   :metal

So much old stuff, even Mother Puncher and Fire Ants.  Wow!  Only 2 from the new album too.  Interesting.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2583 on: May 04, 2023, 04:45:36 AM »

Just had a look.  Followed up with Crystal Skull!   :metal

So much old stuff, even Mother Puncher and Fire Ants.  Wow!  Only 2 from the new album too.  Interesting.

I know right, a hell of a set. As much as I'd like to hear Jaguar God and Gigantium, you can't knock this set.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2584 on: May 04, 2023, 05:55:16 AM »

Ahmen.

While I was working on my son's Jeep this weekend, I took my bluetooth speaker out in the driveway and fired up Blood Mountain. After a few songs, I noticed my son was just standing there staring at me.

"What, too radical of music for you, boy?" I said.

He shook his head, "No, it's just I can see why my friends are all jealous of my dad."

Mastodon for the cool dad win!!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2585 on: May 04, 2023, 06:09:35 AM »
 :metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2586 on: May 04, 2023, 06:34:26 AM »

Ahmen.

While I was working on my son's Jeep this weekend, I took my bluetooth speaker out in the driveway and fired up Blood Mountain. After a few songs, I noticed my son was just standing there staring at me.

He shook his head, "No, it's just I can see why my friends are all jealous of my dad."

I aspire to be that cool!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2587 on: May 04, 2023, 08:00:25 AM »

Ahmen.

:metal

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2588 on: August 08, 2023, 10:21:17 AM »
Anyone caught Mastodon and Gojira on the current tour? They're playing near me in a few weeks, but logistically it will be tricky for me to get there on time. I want to make it work.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2589 on: August 08, 2023, 10:26:10 AM »
Anyone caught Mastodon and Gojira on the current tour? They're playing near me in a few weeks, but logistically it will be tricky for me to get there on time. I want to make it work.

Wrong continent, but I absolutely would given the chance.