Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 268772 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2520 on: November 23, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »
I wouldn't include 2005 in the last "several years" :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline emtee

« Reply #2521 on: November 23, 2021, 01:59:01 PM »
I wouldn't include 2005 in the last "several years" :lol

When you're my age, several years is relative. The point is: it's a once in a generation album.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: November 23, 2021, 02:26:04 PM »
I'm not going to be able to see their concert this cycle  >:(

So, I'm watching fan footage of this tour on YT...and holy shit, the new songs translate well to the stage. Hearing fans singing at full voice along with Teardrinker is awesome.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: November 23, 2021, 10:24:10 PM »
Yeah, this album is back in the car.  What a ripper!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2524 on: November 23, 2021, 10:49:37 PM »
Just got back from the show at the Ryman.  Zeal and Ardor opened and got the crowd going before Mastadon.  Holy crap, what a great set by Mastadon and the new songs fit in well.

I have heard that Opeth and Mastadon alternated headliner, but Mastadon was so much better than Opeth. Opeth butchered Drapery Falls so bad.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2525 on: November 23, 2021, 11:33:51 PM »
Just got back from the show at the Ryman.  Zeal and Ardor opened and got the crowd going before Mastadon.
 Holy crap, what a great set by Mastadon and the new songs fit in well.

I have heard that Opeth and Mastadon alternated headliner, but Mastadon was so much better than Opeth. Opeth butchered Drapery Falls so bad.

Chad approves of this post.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2526 on: November 24, 2021, 02:39:10 AM »
The guys are up for a Grammy against Dream Theater. That will be a tough battle.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2527 on: November 24, 2021, 02:42:35 AM »
I had to read up on what song was nominated. Pushing The Tides is a great choice!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2528 on: November 24, 2021, 06:32:36 AM »
Just got back from the show at the Ryman.  Zeal and Ardor opened and got the crowd going before Mastadon.

Holy crap, what a great set by Mastadon and the new songs fit in well.

Chad approves of this post.

Give me a break, it was midnight when I posted and way past my bedtime. :D Sorry Mastodon for butchering your name.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2529 on: November 24, 2021, 06:46:39 AM »
I had to read up on what song was nominated. Pushing The Tides is a great choice!

Gojira is also nominated in the same Category with Amazonia. I would love to See DT win, but I just don't see it against Mastodon and Gojira, but one can dream right?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2530 on: November 24, 2021, 07:30:21 AM »
I'm hoping for a Gojira win, personally. Amazonia kicks ass.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: November 24, 2021, 08:58:18 AM »

Yup, best song of the bunch

And I just realized I've been writing mastadon not mastodon as well.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2532 on: November 24, 2021, 12:14:46 PM »
It has really cool drumming, but nothing really jumped out at me as for the wow factor.  The Alien on the other hand, is a completely different story.   :metal

Edit:  Tha Mastadon song Pushing the Tides is a stronger contender imo, but The Alien still wins for me.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 12:26:26 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline emtee

« Reply #2533 on: December 13, 2021, 04:51:26 PM »
Prior to this album, I only owned CtS. I loved it and spun it regularly for 6 months but back then I was buying 50 albums a year and was on to something else. No clue why but I never bought another work of theirs. Well, that was a mistake. I've gone down a Mastodon rabbit hole, binging on their discography and holy crap, what an amazing band! So many great songs. Every album is outstanding. Love hearing how they changed and experimented from album to album.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2534 on: December 13, 2021, 05:32:34 PM »
Prior to this album, I only owned CtS. I loved it and spun it regularly for 6 months but back then I was buying 50 albums a year and was on to something else. No clue why but I never bought another work of theirs. Well, that was a mistake. I've gone down a Mastodon rabbit hole, binging on their discography and holy crap, what an amazing band! So many great songs. Every album is outstanding. Love hearing how they changed and experimented from album to album.

:metal  :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2535 on: December 13, 2021, 05:56:55 PM »

Funny you say this. I could never get into Mastodon. I have seen them live twice but I was there for the opener. But Hushed and Grim kicked me in the nuts, slapped me in the face and so far its my album of the year. I didn't realize the album was 90 min long until someone in this thread pointed it out. Just flows very easy and kicks ass everywhere.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2536 on: January 06, 2022, 02:29:30 PM »
It's been a LONG time since I've been so immersed and blown away by a band. Hushed and Grim sent me backwards through the discography and I just can't get enough of this band's music right now. The Hunter, Once More Round The Sun...just phenomenal pieces of work. I love 'em all though. The music is just speaking to me right now. Lots of great riffs and emotion in their music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2537 on: January 06, 2022, 02:30:58 PM »
It's been a LONG time since I've been so immersed and blown away by a band. Hushed and Grim sent me backwards through the discography and I just can't get enough of this band's music right now. The Hunter, Once More Round The Sun...just phenomenal pieces of work. I love 'em all though. The music is just speaking to me right now. Lots of great riffs and emotion in their music.

Indeed, such an amazing band.  :metal

Hushed and Grim is still in regular rotation.  Always have urges to put it on.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2538 on: January 06, 2022, 02:42:41 PM »

If you haven't listen to it, make sure to check out their EP Cold Dark Place  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2539 on: January 06, 2022, 02:44:28 PM »
Can a mod update the thread title.  This amazing new album needs to be in full view for all to see.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2540 on: January 07, 2022, 08:04:44 AM »
Hushed and Grim was definitely the album of the year for me.  I just can't put it down!

Agreed on the Cold Dark Place EP.  It has some great stuff on it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: January 07, 2022, 08:15:16 AM »
Toe To Toes is my favourite song on that EP.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2542 on: January 21, 2022, 09:31:45 PM »
explanation why Hushed & Grim was a Double Album

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CY68EKFh46p/

Offline emtee

« Reply #2543 on: February 17, 2022, 03:43:29 PM »
Still haven't crawled out of the Mastodon rabbit hole. I'm thinking they may have the strongest discography in my collection. That's a big statement for me. The 2 early albums are the weakest but from that point forward, they have shown incredible growth and creativity.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2544 on: February 17, 2022, 03:48:11 PM »
Still haven't crawled out of the Mastodon rabbit hole. I'm thinking they may have the strongest discography in my collection. That's a big statement for me. The 2 early albums are the weakest but from that point forward, they have shown incredible growth and creativity.

Big statement indeed, but can't knick you for it.

I still spin the new album at least once a week.  It's amazing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: February 17, 2022, 04:27:00 PM »
Emtee,

Your current fascination with them will fade, but I can almost guarantee, some where down the road you'll get the urge to listen again and when you do, you'll find the first two albums have the same level of awe as the rest of the discography. It's just different. It needs to marinade in your brain for a few years.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2546 on: February 17, 2022, 04:31:19 PM »
Emtee,

Your current fascination with them will fade, but I can almost guarantee, some where down the road you'll get the urge to listen again and when you do, you'll find the first two albums have the same level of awe as the rest of the discography. It's just different. It needs to marinade in your brain for a few years.  :lol

Yep, early Mastodon is what made me a fan.  Brutal yet beautiful music.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2547 on: February 18, 2022, 09:20:31 AM »
I’ve totally fried my brain on H&G until the point where I no longer have the desire to listen to it. It was literally the only album I was listening to for more than a month. Still, that’s temporary of course.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online faizoff

« Reply #2548 on: February 25, 2022, 12:52:42 PM »
I was like that when Crack the Skye came out. I would obsess over that album for months on end and now it's been years since I've put it on. I have yet to listen to the last 3 albums by these guys.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: March 19, 2022, 06:01:59 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: March 19, 2022, 04:21:29 PM »
Teardrinker Acoustic Version

:tup :tup

That was bloody excellent.  Not usually an acoustic fan but damn that was nice.  Brent tears that whole thing up.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2551 on: March 20, 2022, 10:43:20 AM »
Teardrinker Acoustic Version

:tup :tup

That was bloody excellent.  Not usually an acoustic fan but damn that was nice.  Brent tears that whole thing up.

Man, that was good.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2552 on: August 24, 2022, 11:17:53 AM »
Hushed and Grim was my favorite album of 2021. Unfortunately, the band hasn't been anywhere doable for my wife and I to see them on the tour. Actually, on the last couple tours.

I've only seen them once, on The Hunter tour, where they did a signing at a local record store and played a gig at a club later that evening. Great time. Killer photo with them, great show, etc.

Anyway, looks like they made a 90-minute film on the making of Hushed and Grim. I can't wait to watch this tonight.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/mastodon-releases-90-minute-documentary-on-making-of-hushed-and-grim-album

:metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2553 on: August 24, 2022, 02:13:48 PM »
Hushed and Grim was my favorite album of 2021. Unfortunately, the band hasn't been anywhere doable for my wife and I to see them on the tour. Actually, on the last couple tours.

I've only seen them once, on The Hunter tour, where they did a signing at a local record store and played a gig at a club later that evening. Great time. Killer photo with them, great show, etc.

Anyway, looks like they made a 90-minute film on the making of Hushed and Grim. I can't wait to watch this tonight.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/mastodon-releases-90-minute-documentary-on-making-of-hushed-and-grim-album

:metal

Nice! I love a good documentary so will be sticking this on tonight too!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: August 24, 2022, 04:17:06 PM »
Oh wow, this will be spectacular, will watch this on the weekend.