Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 268681 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2450 on: November 10, 2021, 02:50:49 AM »
It's basically 2x 45 minute albums back to back.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if they'd released the first 8 now and then Disc 2 in a year or 6 months from now...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2451 on: November 10, 2021, 05:27:32 AM »
This album is anything but dull.  Every song has a place, substance and is a winner IMO.  Love it.

+1

I'd also, say it's way more rockin' than an initial listen would imply.

It may simply just be, they aren't for me.  That's OK. 

Yeah, if Troy's voice doesn't do it for you, I'd say it's a lock...which I think is a shame. The whole vibe of the band, including Troy's voice, gets me in touch with my latent Neandertal. There's something so primal, thick, and musky about Mastodon. In my opinion, they are the best named band since Led Zeppelin.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2452 on: November 10, 2021, 06:42:03 AM »
I love Troy's voice - it's like it has so much grit but he can still pitch. It's not just roooaargghhhrororororo...

My favourite Troy moment ever :

SINISTER TWIN!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:47:25 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2453 on: November 10, 2021, 07:03:46 AM »
I think I mentioned it before, but Troy's and Brent's voice is what got me into the band, and then I stayed for everything else.

My reaction to the first song I heard, Sleeping Giant, was "this vocals are so different, it sounds mythical". To this day, that song is a top favorite of mine. And that guitar lick/slide around 1:10  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2454 on: November 10, 2021, 07:52:05 AM »
Finally went and bought the vinyl (got a free Mastodon slipmat with it) and gave Hushed & Grim a deep-dive.  I just think it is a career defining record for them.  I love it, and if just feels like it will be one of those records that continues to grow on me, and I'll find new things that I love about it on each listen.  Also, had a friend, who is not a Mastodon fan, go to the record store with me.  I convinced him to buy Crack the Skye, and he's already thanked me immensely, as he didn't know what he was missing.

The CD packaging is quite underwhelming. How's the Vinyl packaging ? I would quite like the vinyl but not if its as thrown together as the CD.

Please post pics if poss x.

Forgot to snap a pic, but the packaging on the vinyl is not great either.  The gatefold artwork is awesome. I love the cover and inside art.  It comes with a 1 page lyric sheet insert.  I got the clear vinyl, but the sleeves for each disc are really weird.  There is a glossy paper sleeve on the outside, and then a clear plastic sleeve on the inside.  They are not connected like those anti-dust sleeves.  It is a pain trying to get the plastic sleeve back inside of the paper one, so I just dumped the plastic sleeves.  Also, the paper sleeves are just plain white, which kinda sucks too.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2455 on: November 10, 2021, 08:18:10 AM »
Yeah, if Troy's voice doesn't do it for you, I'd say it's a lock...which I think is a shame. The whole vibe of the band, including Troy's voice, gets me in touch with my latent Neandertal. There's something so primal, thick, and musky about Mastodon. In my opinion, they are the best named band since Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, that may be it but for me, when I think of the music behind this band and those feelings I bolded, then I hear his voice, I wish it were actually heavier to really get that sound similar to Insomnium.  There are moments his voice really fits the music well, but then there more moments when I wish the other guy was just singing. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2456 on: November 10, 2021, 08:27:26 AM »
I'm hoping that the cheaper packaging for Hushed and Grim is because the "Mastodon" pot for Reprise records is kinda low after not touring for so long.

Obviously I have no idea how it works - and I know the band had to take up regular jobs over 2020 to keep the money coming in.

Such a shame. Touring and recording consistently for 20 years to make a nice living for yourself only to have a couple of off years and nearly spend it all.

I know Bill rented out studio space to bands in their home studio. And they stepped up their merch promotion.

Would suck though having to get a regular 9-5 job when you just spent 20 years to get away from that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2457 on: November 10, 2021, 10:23:30 AM »
The song The Motherload came on my youtube Mastadon playlist, I really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Teardrinker which I also really like.  This is a side of the band I can really dig. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: November 10, 2021, 12:02:51 PM »
The song The Motherload came on my youtube Mastadon playlist, I really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Teardrinker which I also really like.  This is a side of the band I can really dig.

That doesn't surprise me because Brann is singing the majority of the time on Motherload. Brann has a kinda Ozzie vibe to his voice. But I prefer the bits where Troy sings, If you want you can will it/You can have it/I can put it right there in your hands. That's the Mastodon that I prefer... like High Road. That's just me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2459 on: November 10, 2021, 12:22:34 PM »
High Road is one of my fav tunes from them.  Love the vibe and the riff is crushing.  Troy too of course.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2461 on: November 10, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
High Road is one of my fav tunes from them.  Love the vibe and the riff is crushing.  Troy too of course.

I know i've said it - but there's just something OFF about that album and I can't put my finger on it. Like the guitars and drums have no EDGE to them.

Everything is a bit 'blanket over the speakers'. It's not a BAD album - but for some reason i can't FULLY enjoy it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2463 on: November 11, 2021, 08:03:25 AM »
I also love how the 4 vinyl sides of this album each offer their own vibe, roughly put:

Side A (dark, heavy prog metal)

Pain With an Anchor
The Crux
Sickle and Peace
More than I Could Chew

Side B (melodic, overall a bit lighter tracks):

The Beast
Skeleton of Splendor
Teardrinker
Pushing the Tides (okay this one’s more like side A)

Side C (experimental, psychedelic):

Peace and Tranquility
Dagger
Had it All
Savage Lands (ends with a banger just like side B)

Side D (epic send-off songs):

Gobblers of Dregs
Eyes of Serpents
Gigantium

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: November 11, 2021, 09:54:54 AM »
Yeah it's a shame when bands put out albums that are literally just "heres 10 songs in any order".

With no thought to flow or anything.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2465 on: November 11, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
Realized I only posted about the new album in the 'currently listening' thread.

Anyway, loved this on first listen. Some of the early comments had me a bit scared, but this is excellent. One thing that stands out to me is the sound and mix of the album. I can take or leave Bottrill, but man, he brought the goods on this. I think it is one of their better, if not best, sounding albums.

Brent seems to sing very little, but I think he finally sounds decent. That level of phlegm seems to have been removed from his throat and he sounds as good as he ever has to me. Troy just keeps evolving and his voice just gets more dynamic with every release. I credit his work with Gone Is Gone and Killer Be Killed for helping the maturation of his vocals.

And, of course, Brann continues to play Lead Drums. He's exhausting to listen to, but I love his Keith Moon aesthetic.

So, yeah, very happy with this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: November 11, 2021, 11:35:33 AM »
One thing that stands out to me is the sound and mix of the album.

I also really like this mix.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: November 11, 2021, 12:59:35 PM »
Gigantium is fucking incredible.  I get goosebumps multiple times during that song.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: November 11, 2021, 02:52:20 PM »
Gobblers of Dregs
Eyes of Serpents
Gigantium

This three song run is completely epic and chill inducing.  :tup :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: November 11, 2021, 03:23:42 PM »
Indeed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: November 11, 2021, 03:56:30 PM »
Gigantium is fucking incredible.  I get goosebumps multiple times during that song.

YOU DESERVE TO BE HAP-PEHHHH !!!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2471 on: November 11, 2021, 04:42:37 PM »
I am still fighting myself to listen to other albums, that's how good I find Hushed and Grim. Constant rotation. Really, really pleased.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: November 11, 2021, 04:43:33 PM »
I am still fighting myself to listen to other albums, that's how good I find Hushed and Grim. Constant rotation. Really, really pleased.

Yep.  Still in my car also.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: November 11, 2021, 04:52:50 PM »

Yep.  Still in my car also.

It's still in my car as well. But not in the CD player. I'm taking a break...with

BLOOD MOUNTAIN

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2474 on: November 11, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
 :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2475 on: November 12, 2021, 12:07:02 AM »
Still on the "terrific record" train.

I like how it's long, slow and moody but still has that signature Masturdong "lots going on almost all the time" thing, blended with some new hypnotic elements.

It think it will end up v near the top of the pile for me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2476 on: November 12, 2021, 12:21:20 AM »
As I'm starting to wrap up this year in music releases (there's no more albums to look forward to for me this year), their album is slowly edging its way into my Top 5 of 2021. It's not quite there yet.

Teardrinker is definitely in my Top 10 of favourite songs from this year though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #2477 on: November 12, 2021, 01:54:10 AM »
This album has taken its damn time, but has finally grown on me now. I now think it's the best of the recent 4. I think it brings back a lot of that Mastodon "feel" that has been larely absent or watered down the last 3.
I still think one or two songs could have been cut and it would be a better long single album though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2478 on: November 12, 2021, 02:34:01 AM »

Out of control my CDs in constant rotation ! :metal

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2479 on: November 12, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »
I think Hushed and Grim will edge out Colors II as album of the year for me.  The new Cynic might be able to change that when it comes out, but I don't think it's likely. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: November 13, 2021, 04:17:09 PM »
I can't say for sure - But I think that Had It All is at least one of their few songs in E standard ?

It's definitely in E minor - and the sanitarium - ish riff can only be played at that pitch in that tuning as it relies on open strings.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2481 on: November 13, 2021, 05:31:43 PM »
finally checked out about 2/3 of Hushed and Grim today....while I worry the album's length ultimately may hurt my interest, I do find there are a lot of good and even slightly different moments to enjoy, that I will mean go back to it again.

I suspect David Botrill's involvement has something to do with why i'm enjoying it.

:tup
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 06:07:59 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2482 on: November 16, 2021, 02:05:41 AM »
Listening to (and loving) Hushed and Grim has sent me on a Mastodon binge these last few weeks. I've found the albums I've wanted to revisit most are Blood Mountain and The Hunter. I've always loved Blood Mountain but it was behind Leviathan and Crack the Skye in my rankings for years. It's become my favourite album of theirs more recently though and I just fucking love it.

The Hunter, I feel after 10 years, I finally 'get'. I was so disappointed with it following Crack the Skye but as their sound has progressed and I can reflect on the last three albums, I'm in a place where I can appreciate it now.

Hushed and Grim is obviously great, still not sure if it's going to be my number 1 album of the year but I know I just want to keep listening to it!

That's just my train of thought at the moment, I keep revisiting those three albums  :hefdaddy

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2483 on: November 16, 2021, 03:16:38 AM »
Will be interesting to see how long the set list will be for Opeth and Mastadon with an opening band in the mix.  Stoked to see both bands at the Ryman next week.  The sound was fantastic at the Ryman when I saw Opeth there a couple of years ago.

Loving the new Mastadon release, but took multiple listens.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2484 on: November 16, 2021, 04:12:40 AM »
I've tried so many times with The Hunter but as much as I love the band, I can't get into it.  Maybe Hushed and Grim  ight help that.