Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 268689 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2380 on: November 03, 2021, 05:00:51 PM »
Dagger sounds like 10,000 Days by Tool.

Such an experimental and atmospheric tune.  The only negative I can say about it is that when you're listening you know Had It All is coming next.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2381 on: November 03, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »
I don't know, Kade, I think it's possible for Tim to get into Mastodon and thus Hushed and Grim. He's got the right rock pedigree needed for it.

@Tim, the only recommendation I have for getting into any Mastodon is, loose your expectations. They can't really be pigeon-holed into a certain genre other than the broad umbrella of Rock. Yet, no matter what type of rock they decide to play on any specific song, they alway sound like Mastodon. Like Kade says, listen to Leviathan and Blood Mountain. Then listen to them a few more times. Then go back to Crack the Skye and a whole new world may open up to you.

I giving it a listen tonight. Started on the second song, The Crux. Enjoying a nice solo right now.
This would be better with better vocals.

I actually have zero expectations. I tried Leviathan many years ago, and that was way before I was into harsh vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2382 on: November 03, 2021, 06:45:26 PM »
Great outro on More Than I Can Chew.

The Beast and Skeleton were pretty boring, but Teardrinker has a real nice pace to it. I think this is the best song so far.

These vocals are really bad though.

Pushing The Tides would've been better with Lemmy singing the verses.

Peace And Tranquility-some cool grooves here. This song needs a real vocalist.

Dagger...yeah, um, I stopped smoking weed 20 years ago.

Had It All is better. I liked the solo. Really cool and the song is eerie, but holy shit this singer makes John Mayer sound good.

Savage Lands rocks!

Gobblers-Those last two minutes rule. The first six?..Some cool parts I guess.

Eyes Of the Serpents is a cool tune.

Gigantium-This song has a great ending.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:01:17 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2383 on: November 03, 2021, 08:37:22 PM »
Haha, awesome for checking out the full thing mate.  I guess if you don't like the vocals, things may not improve.

Thinking now with what you like, I don't think you'd fine the vocals on Leviathan much better.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2384 on: November 03, 2021, 09:06:51 PM »
I think Brann has the best vocals from the group. I like Troy's vocals though. Sleeping giant was the song that introduced me to the band around 2008 and Troy sound incredible in that song. Brent is not my favorite, but he sounds great in some songs (see Divination).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2385 on: November 03, 2021, 09:55:45 PM »
I've said this already but I do think their prior albums are stronger vocally. Crack The Skye through OMRTS in particular don't have much harsh vocals and the cleans, in my opinion, sound stronger than on the two most recent albums and fit the instrumentation a bit better. Brent's nasally warble is somewhat of an acquired taste, but I like the character of it when he's placed appropriately.

Of course I only bring up the harsh vocals for TAC's sake; I think Troy's screams on the first few records kick ass. :metal Oh, and can't forget Brent's as well.

I WANNA DRINK SOME FUCKING BLOOD
I WANNA BREAK SOME FUCKING GLAAAAAASSSSSS
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: November 03, 2021, 11:24:22 PM »
Troy on those early albums was one of the major things that got me into the band.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2387 on: November 04, 2021, 01:38:09 AM »
So happy to see so much discussion here. This album is obviously great and it's sent me right back onto a Mastodon kick.

The first song I ever heard was I am Ahab, on a Kerrang compilation album, back in '04. The band were all over the UK music magazines at that point and were being hailed as the next big thing. I got Leviathan and enjoyed it, and have picked up every subsequent album on release. I was fully in love with the band by the time Crack the Skye had sunk in and my appreciation for Leviathan and Blood Mountain has only grown over the years.

For years I found The Hunter and Once More 'Round the Sun to be low points in their career, but I have come to appreciate them more since release as well. I really loved Emperor of Sand from the get go, and it reignited my love for the band. Then here we are, a new album, what feels like a new era and I love it!

I've loved this band for years but whenever I think of my top 10 bands or whatever I never really consider them, which is weird. They have such a consistent backcatalogue and I can't imagine me not listening to this band in the future.

:hefdaddy

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2388 on: November 04, 2021, 03:42:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBgdS1yHwRk&ab_channel=theneedledrop Fantano reviewed the record.

While I rate it a 10/10 because it hits me hard in the feels throughout, actually some of his criticisms aren't that ungrounded. Especially the what he says about the mixing on Pushing the Tides. Since that was the first single, I was worried the album's mix would be weird, but as it turned out, pretty much only that song has that 'problem'. I don't know, it slaps hard nonetheless but especially coming from Teardrinker it starts out quite underwhelming in volume too. Also, 'The Beast' sounding like Chris Stapleton with Opeth as a backing band.. hilarious but quite spot on.  :lol

I really liked this article, lots of background info and commenting from the band. It isn't a very critical review, but a nice holistic observation of the entire record: https://knotfest.com/culture/ravishing-grimness-mastodons-new-album-is-their-finest-hour-and-a-half/
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2389 on: November 04, 2021, 05:43:37 AM »
Sadly, I'm not that into it as some of you here. Of course, I rarely like anything I hear right away but can't really imagine this could be 5/5 (anytime soon) for me. EoS is one of my favorites in recent years, it hit me on a different level.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: November 04, 2021, 06:15:33 AM »
Interesting that the band have remastered Remission but not Leviathan.

Sadly, I'm not that into it as some of you here. Of course, I rarely like anything I hear right away but can't really imagine this could be 5/5 (anytime soon) for me. EoS is one of my favourites in recent years, it hit me on a different level.

Almost the same boat. I love the new album but I don't think it's a top 20 of all time album. That might just be new album smell. But yeah Emperor of Sand blew my mind.

I might give it another full listen later.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: November 04, 2021, 10:33:11 AM »
I'd love to get the VINYL of this. But not if the packaging is not all that much better than the CD.

Anyone get the VINYL of this wanna post pics ? :-*

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: November 04, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »
That ending to More Than I Can Chew is just sublime.  That line, 'say when, and I'll come running back' is hitting me hard right now for personal reasons.

I love how they left a slip up from Brent in the solo too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: November 04, 2021, 01:41:54 PM »
Brent isn't the tightest of soloists but it works.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2394 on: November 04, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »
That ending to More Than I Can Chew is just sublime.  That line, 'say when, and I'll come running back' is hitting me hard right now for personal reasons.

I was just going to cite that section/lyric also. So good.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the whole thing at present. I can understand that Mastodon (and esp the vox) isn't for everyone and some would have preferred something different from them but this album is suiting me sweetly. I love the genuine feel from them, the playing and texture.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: November 04, 2021, 02:47:52 PM »
For some reason - the main riff to "Pain With An Anchor" reminds me of Interstellar and most notably THIS SCENE :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zvVGJrTP8

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2396 on: November 04, 2021, 03:04:38 PM »

I love how they left a slip up from Brent in the solo too.

Yep. It's been my favorite moment from any album for a long long time. I just keep playing those 2 mins again and again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: November 04, 2021, 03:30:16 PM »

As Gregg pointed out, Brent has really upped his game on this album.  He's always been a good guitarist but his soloing style has always been a bit boxed in and a little one dimensional.  He's taken his playing to another level here, and as Tim would say, very Schenkerish at times.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2398 on: November 04, 2021, 03:33:05 PM »
I love this album!

Also, as a song title, Pain With An Anchor is like micro fiction gold. The imagery those 4 words convey/conjur is amazing. Very deep.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2399 on: November 04, 2021, 03:33:15 PM »

As Gregg pointed out, Brent has really upped his game on this album.  He's always been a good guitarist but his soloing style has always been a bit boxed in and a little one dimensional.  He's taken his playing to another level here, and as Tim would say, very Schenkerish at times.

You have thrown me for a loop between this and the DT. I was listening the new DT today, and JP was reminding me a bit of Schenker. I think the TT solo is awesome. Schenker is no stranger to sticking a shred in a melodic solo.

Tonight, I want to go back and relisten to the 3-5 songs that caught my ear on this.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2400 on: November 04, 2021, 04:07:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBgdS1yHwRk&ab_channel=theneedledrop Fantano reviewed the record.

While I rate it a 10/10 because it hits me hard in the feels throughout, actually some of his criticisms aren't that ungrounded. Especially the what he says about the mixing on Pushing the Tides. Since that was the first single, I was worried the album's mix would be weird, but as it turned out, pretty much only that song has that 'problem'. I don't know, it slaps hard nonetheless but especially coming from Teardrinker it starts out quite underwhelming in volume too. Also, 'The Beast' sounding like Chris Stapleton with Opeth as a backing band.. hilarious but quite spot on.  :lol

I really liked this article, lots of background info and commenting from the band. It isn't a very critical review, but a nice holistic observation of the entire record: https://knotfest.com/culture/ravishing-grimness-mastodons-new-album-is-their-finest-hour-and-a-half/

The way Fantano describes it feels a little off though; as if the band was trying to make the song sound like Stapleton/Opeth. That sound -IS- Brent and has been his whole time in the band. That's the charm of it. Like most bands each member brings something to the table and makes up the band. Hinds has always lent that twangy finger picking, bluesy, country vibe contrasting the other styles within. Having said all that, I like "The Beast" and it's a little change up in the album but fits somehow as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: November 04, 2021, 04:11:08 PM »
The Beast sounds like Pendulous Skin from Blood Mountain way back in 2006.

Also Megaladon from Leviathan has a country music break in it.

It's nothing new. Brent learned to play banjo before guitar so....

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2402 on: November 04, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »
I was just thinking today Brent can't play a bad solo, just banger after banger, can't pick my favorite.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: November 04, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
Divinations is especially good - that surf feel  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: November 04, 2021, 04:33:10 PM »

You have thrown me for a loop between this and the DT. I was listening the new DT today, and JP was reminding me a bit of Schenker. I think the TT solo is awesome. Schenker is no stranger to sticking a shred in a melodic solo.

Tonight, I want to go back and relisten to the 3-5 songs that caught my ear on this.

JP definitely has his Schenker moments.  Glad you're giving this a good go.  I need to do the same thing with DT.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: November 04, 2021, 04:34:21 PM »
Not sure why anyone would have issues with the Beast.  That whole middle section is pure Leviathan.  Great song and yeah, that's Brents style.  Easy to tell that from the first 5 seconds.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: November 04, 2021, 04:44:09 PM »
DAT B Bender...

I was thinking about the album earlier. There's only 15 songs on it. Which isn't ludicrous for an album.

But they're all around 5-8 minutes so it adds up to almost 90 minutes.

I think the closest to a "Blood and Thunder" type song is Pushing The Tides @ 3:30. It's the shortest song on the album.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2407 on: November 04, 2021, 05:52:15 PM »
I think Pushing The Tides is the band's best attempt at writing a super heavy song since like, Blood Mountain. Waaaay better than Andromeda, at least.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: November 04, 2021, 05:53:48 PM »
I like Brendan O Brien - but something about Andromeda seemed quite muted.

It didn't have the ROAR or the CLATTER of Remission or Leviathan.

I love the song but if it was an attempt to revisit those albums it had no edge to it. It was too smooth.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2409 on: November 04, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
I like Brendan O Brien - but something about Andromeda seemed quite muted.

It didn't have the ROAR or the CLATTER of Remission or Leviathan.

I love the song but if it was an attempt to revisit those albums it had no edge to it. It was too smooth.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly (except I don't really like the song, hahaha). The main riff is trying so hard to be super angry and dissonant and there's just no energy behind it. Meanwhile the main riff for Pushing The Tides kicks ass and everyone in the band is going hard as fuck. :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: November 04, 2021, 06:02:23 PM »
videorahim
⚡️⚡️⚡️For the past year we’ve been shooting and editing a documentary about the making of Mastodon’s new album Hushed and Grim at West End Recordings. The album came out on Friday and the documentary is coming soon! ⚡️⚡️⚡️
Thank you so much for the overwhelming support on Hushed and Grim! We love reading all your comments!

Can't Wait. I love their in-the-studio documentaries !!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2411 on: November 04, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »
I'm seeing Mastodon with Opeth in 2 weeks, I saw Mastodon once before opening for Primus a few years ago.  I honestly was not too into their set. But it could have been due to a few things (sound being a big one).  But I never really checked out their albums.  I plan on getting their latest and digesting it before the show. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2412 on: November 04, 2021, 06:15:37 PM »
I saw Mastodon open for TOOL in 2006 in Wembley Arena. They didn't have the best sound as it was the support slot...

but a year later I saw them in the HMV Forum in Kentish Town in London and they were amazing.

All the Drop-A songs were so good. Iron Tusk was a highlight.

" Forget it man and get with the countdown..Shake this square world and blast off for kicksville ! "

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: November 04, 2021, 06:20:06 PM »
In my case, I think the sound was due to playing at Red Rocks in CO (outdoor venue in the mountains with high winds) and I remember starting to really enjoy them RIGHT as the set ended.  I'm open to putting that aside and checking them out again though.  I got myself a good seat to enjoy the show regardless if of my opinion of the new album.  I just want to actually put some effort into listening to them which I didn't do last time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2414 on: November 04, 2021, 06:57:13 PM »
Listening to The Beast and it made me think of Loch Vostok's Expiry Date On the Soul Of Man, which is a great tune if you've never heard it.