Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 268685 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2345 on: November 02, 2021, 04:32:11 AM »
This album is exceptional.  I'm honestly floored considering my disappointment of later Mastodon just how good this is.  This has the ability to rival Senjutsu as my album of the year.

This is an album of a band just having zero pre conceived ideas or direction if that makes sense.  It's like anything goes and each song is just pure, unique expression.  Everything on this has purpose and substance.

I was planning to write something lengthy, but Wolf said it perfectly I think!

It feels like, all the different styles of Mastodon are taken to the Nth Degree! The aggressive style, the proggy style and the moody style, all are the best they've ever been. And they experiment with some totally new ideas, including a supreme power ballad (Had It All).

There is probably a lot more that could be said, but I'll just say now that this is my AOTY easily! :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2346 on: November 02, 2021, 04:53:58 AM »
This is definitely my AOTY also! I've been going quite crazy over Leprous' Aphelion, but that album didn't hit my emotions as hard as this does. It might even be one of the best new albums I've heard in a few years to be honest. I don't remember being this blown away by new music over the last couple of years.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: November 02, 2021, 05:00:24 AM »
This album is exceptional.  I'm honestly floored considering my disappointment of later Mastodon just how good this is.  This has the ability to rival Senjutsu as my album of the year.

This is an album of a band just having zero pre conceived ideas or direction if that makes sense.  It's like anything goes and each song is just pure, unique expression.  Everything on this has purpose and substance.

I was planning to write something lengthy, but Wolf said it perfectly I think!

It feels like, all the different styles of Mastodon are taken to the Nth Degree! The aggressive style, the proggy style and the moody style, all are the best they've ever been. And they experiment with some totally new ideas, including a supreme power ballad (Had It All).

There is probably a lot more that could be said, but I'll just say now that this is my AOTY easily! :metal

I think you added perfectly to my thoughts there mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2348 on: November 02, 2021, 05:32:15 AM »
Fuck.

Gigantium  :hefdaddy :heart :hefdaddy :heart

I am not all in with this album quite yet but I know I can't stop listening. Talking about previous albums, I have always worshipped the run of Leviathan>Crack the Skye as being their golden era (still do). I was majorly disappointed with The Hunter, and although I like it a lot more now, it's not my fave. Once More had higher highs than Hunter but I still felt it  was lacking.

Emperor was a whole different ball game though, I adore it. Kotow, you mentioned earlier about the lack of documentary for Hushed, and I also hope they release one. The documentary for Emperor really helped me connect with the album in a way that I may not have otherwise, I watched it numerous times after the album dropped.

It's a fucking good time to be a Mastodon fan  :metal

Online Mladen

« Reply #2349 on: November 02, 2021, 05:41:19 AM »
I am also digging the new album quite a bit. We are witnessing the start of a new era. Emperor of sand put an end to the era of catchy/concise songs, whereas this one is figuring out how to do slower, more subtle songs. There are still heavy bits, there are still "hits", but there is also more breathing space. The songs are atmospheric and expansive.

My early favorites are Pushing the tides, Pain with an anchor, Gigantium, Teardrinker and The Beast. I also need to mention that Had it all is wonderful. I already know it will be crucified by a number of fans.  ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2350 on: November 02, 2021, 07:00:51 AM »
All this just has me excited for the concert, I heard an interview with Brent and Bill where they said they plan on playing 7-8 songs from the new album (they mentioned Pushing the Tides and Teardrinker). I hope they play Savage Lands,  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: November 02, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »
Had it All being crucified by fans? I haven't heard such nonsense. I've heard it described as a power ballad, which is completely laughable...call it a slow, soulful song. Call it a lament. Even just plain ballad (although that misses the mark too) is better.

Like Mastodon is some lame ass 80's band singing about Cowboys with rose-thorns in their thumbs and a spike-heel broken off in their ass...SMH
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: November 02, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »
Had it All being crucified by fans? I haven't heard such nonsense. I've heard it described as a power ballad, which is completely laughable...call it a slow, soulful song. Call it a lament. Even just plain ballad (although that misses the mark too) is better.

Like Mastodon is some lame ass 80's band singing about Cowboys with rose-thorns in their thumbs and a spike-heel broken off in their ass...SMH

I'm as critical of later day Mastodon as anyone but I can't fault anything about this album or especially this song.  I'd be the first to rag on a song like Had it All, but I can't.  I can only praise it and the album.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2353 on: November 02, 2021, 07:05:25 PM »
Fantastic album. Definitely their best since Crack the Skye.

Online nick_z

« Reply #2354 on: November 02, 2021, 07:22:35 PM »
Fantastic album. Definitely their best since Crack the Skye.

A few listens in, I feel exactly the same way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: November 02, 2021, 07:41:24 PM »
Best since Blood Mountain for me.  Maybe even Leviathan.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2356 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »
Skelton sitting quietly between the Beast and Teardrinker just knocked me to my ass.  Holy shit, another absolute ripper.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2357 on: November 02, 2021, 08:46:43 PM »
So I'm not a Mastodon fan. Never really gotten into them. I heard Crack the Skye in a record store and thought it sounded great, so I bought it. I haven't listened to it in years. I remember it having a couple of cool tunes.

I'm going to try with this new album but the two songs released before the album did nothing for me. I started to listen to this the other night, but the first song didn't grab me.

I haven't given up on it, but I'm not all geared up to waste a lot of time on it either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: November 02, 2021, 11:08:16 PM »
I don't think this album would be for you mate truthfully.

I'd try Leviathan, Blood Mountain or even Once More Round the Sun.

Not sure if this new album would be the type of album to gain them new fans.  I could be totally wrong though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2359 on: November 03, 2021, 01:43:43 AM »
I actually feel this is by far their most accessible record for the (modern) prog crowd. It all sounds a bit bigger and a bit more polished (just a bit.. luckily not too polished).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2360 on: November 03, 2021, 05:11:21 AM »
Fuck.

Gigantium  :hefdaddy :heart :hefdaddy :heart

That second half hey.  Holy shit!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: November 03, 2021, 05:11:44 AM »
I actually feel this is by far their most accessible record for the (modern) prog crowd. It all sounds a bit bigger and a bit more polished (just a bit.. luckily not too polished).

Haha, I knew that response would come.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2362 on: November 03, 2021, 05:18:55 AM »
Overplayed Teardrinker to death (before album came out) and I still don't hate it :lol it's been my favorite song ever since it came out, pretty simple but powerful.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: November 03, 2021, 05:21:08 AM »
Overplayed Teardrinker to death (before album came out) and I still don't hate it :lol it's been my favorite song ever since it came out, pretty simple but powerful.

It's incredible.  The chorus is unbelievable.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: November 03, 2021, 05:51:31 AM »
I don't know, Kade, I think it's possible for Tim to get into Mastodon and thus Hushed and Grim. He's got the right rock pedigree needed for it.

@Tim, the only recommendation I have for getting into any Mastodon is, loose your expectations. They can't really be pigeon-holed into a certain genre other than the broad umbrella of Rock. Yet, no matter what type of rock they decide to play on any specific song, they alway sound like Mastodon. Like Kade says, listen to Leviathan and Blood Mountain. Then listen to them a few more times. Then go back to Crack the Skye and a whole new world may open up to you.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: November 03, 2021, 06:03:02 AM »
Fair play Gregg.  Tim definitely has the experience, open mindfulness and tastes to for sure.  Such an amazing band.

This album is simply incredible.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: November 03, 2021, 06:13:56 AM »
I still need to put on a PS4 game and play the entire album on my speakers so i can just chill out and listen to it.

I have listened to the whole thing - but Disc 1 one day and Disc 2 another day.

It sounds GOOD but it's way too early to tell for me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: November 03, 2021, 06:21:53 AM »

It really is! I'm continuously blown away by it.

Like Troy says, "We really fucking mean it." That's it, right there. These four guys are so comfortable in their own skins, have gone through a bunch of shit and death together, yet they've jealously kept their goofy sense of humor. Everything they do is genuine and real, and whether you like it or not, that comes through in the music.

I've seen music critics call Gigantium boring and pretentious, and I think they'd have a point if it was put out by Mesuggah, Gorjira, or even Dream Theater. But, this is Mastodon and they're about the only band with the catalog where this type of song makes sense, becomes sincere, and beautiful.

I don't know, I may be babbling now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Hushed And Grim !
« Reply #2368 on: November 03, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »
Just finished my proper full playthrough...

It's very GOOD. No duds in nearly 90 mins which is quite something. It does remind me of their Hardwired To Self Destruct. A near 90 minute album with no real duds

and a lot of strong material - but not quite their greatest album. But not far off either. It needs to become more famililar.

But bravo. As of now : 7/10
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:14:36 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: November 03, 2021, 12:14:30 PM »

It really is! I'm continuously blown away by it.

Like Troy says, "We really fucking mean it." That's it, right there. These four guys are so comfortable in their own skins, have gone through a bunch of shit and death together, yet they've jealously kept their goofy sense of humor. Everything they do is genuine and real, and whether you like it or not, that comes through in the music.

I've seen music critics call Gigantium boring and pretentious, and I think they'd have a point if it was put out by Mesuggah, Gorjira, or even Dream Theater. But, this is Mastodon and they're about the only band with the catalog where this type of song makes sense, becomes sincere, and beautiful.

I don't know, I may be babbling now.

This album is worth babbling over.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2370 on: November 03, 2021, 12:21:46 PM »

It's very GOOD. No duds in nearly 90 mins which is quite something. 

The album doesn't feel like a 90 minute album. No dragging song (well, maybe one), but overall, it's a very nice flowing album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: November 03, 2021, 12:53:21 PM »

The album doesn't feel like a 90 minute album. No dragging song (well, maybe one), but overall, it's a very nice flowing album.

Feels nowhere near 90 minutes.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2372 on: November 03, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
5 or 6 spins this week. AOTY and I dare to predict this will probably be one of the best and defining (metal)albums of this decade.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2373 on: November 03, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
Each song has a unique and compelling story to tell. And in total, it's an epic journey that is packed with emotion, experimentation and feels. This album was unexpected and has vaulted to album of the year. Their best work to date.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2374 on: November 03, 2021, 01:18:35 PM »
5 or 6 spins this week. AOTY and I dare to predict this will probably be one of the best and defining (metal)albums of this decade.

I said the same thing earlier in this thread. Feels like a top 20 all time type of album. A once in a decade body of work.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2375 on: November 03, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »

I didn't even realize it was 90 mins long until it was brought up here lol  :rollin

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2376 on: November 03, 2021, 03:04:05 PM »

I said the same thing earlier in this thread. Feels like a top 20 all time type of album. A once in a decade body of work.

I cannot help but agree. This is without a shadow of doubt the most amazing new rock/metal music I've heard in quite some time.

It's loaded from front to back with emotion, especially in the vocal department and lyrics. It's incredibly varied, every song is unique (although More Than I Could Chew capitalizes immensely on the established vibe in Sickle and Peace's choruses!). The track sequencing really makes it seem as if the whole thing had been composed on the go, in that order. The last three songs are basically all candidate album closers.

Apart from the songwriting/melodic aspect that's the best it's ever been, there's badass riffs for days and to top it off some very cool atmospheric intros. All the lengthy tracks have a swtich-up that elevates the song to levels almost unimaginable. And then, to top it off, the guitar solos are just utterly and completely out-of-this-world epic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: November 03, 2021, 03:09:26 PM »
Yeah, this seems one of those albums where the stars align once in history kind of thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: November 03, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »
Dagger sounds like 10,000 Days by Tool.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2379 on: November 03, 2021, 04:56:17 PM »
There's too much for me to take in and comment on in any detail yet but I am SO impressed. Could be a career best.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.