Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 268787 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2310 on: October 31, 2021, 05:04:58 AM »
Quote from: WolfMan
Jeez, how good is Eyes of Serpents.

SHIT IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE THE HUNTER WHICH IS *MY* FAVOURUTE ALBUM AND THE ALBUM I DEMAND THEY MAKE EVERY TIME

:angry:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2311 on: October 31, 2021, 05:12:51 AM »
Hmmm....on first listening, might like disc 2 a bit better than disc 1.

Looking forward to digging into this again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2312 on: October 31, 2021, 05:19:47 AM »
It'll probably end up being their Hardwired To Self Destruct. A really consistent album thats on 2 discs but whilst I love it all - I don't listen to disc 2 as much as I used to.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2313 on: October 31, 2021, 07:26:33 AM »
w000t.

The girl in the flat above me is going back tae Scotland on Tuesday - and she's usually away for at least 2 weeks. I can play the album nice and loud then

and give it a proper listen. Maybe whilst playing a PS4 game so i'm not just sitting there. Also the same day my CD of it is due to arrive.

Also there is nobody on either side of me so also I can play my drums a wee bit more.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: October 31, 2021, 08:04:10 AM »
Jeez, how good is Eyes of Serpents.

Probably my favorite from the album.

Still, after three listens, this entire album is great.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2315 on: October 31, 2021, 08:07:57 AM »
Yes it's a lot to take in - in one go but overall no duds detected.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2316 on: October 31, 2021, 03:10:23 PM »
Second listen of CD 1 and this is just awesome. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2317 on: October 31, 2021, 03:17:03 PM »
Glad you like it. :)

I haven't really been in a massive music listening mood lately. But the job that was making me really miserable ended today - and i am officially unemployed for the first time since 2015.

I need to take it easy for a while. I don't want to dive headfirst into another stressful full time job.

So I'll have plenty of time to do some listening :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: October 31, 2021, 07:14:40 PM »
This album is really something else.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: October 31, 2021, 09:42:07 PM »
Nah I’m pretty sure it’s an album 😄😄

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2320 on: October 31, 2021, 10:14:44 PM »
Nah I’m pretty sure it’s an album 😄😄

A damn fine one at that.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2321 on: November 01, 2021, 01:09:10 AM »
guys...

Guys...

GUYS!!!!!

OMG I've withheld listening to the album (with the exception of the first single) till today when I could give my complete attention all at once and drink it in. I am DRUNK off the 'Don.. Holy crap. I knew it would be good but I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I'm only at "Had It All" atm and I do not want this album to end. There's so many incredible things going on throughout each song. This is just freaking incredible! WOW  :o

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2322 on: November 01, 2021, 02:01:43 AM »
I wasn't too sure at first listen, but somewhere around 2nd/3rd listen I just couldn't stop listening anymore. I thought the singles were getting better with each release. In the beginning I was still getting used to the production and I initially was a bit disappointed to hear so little of Hinds' vocals throughout. Not that he's my favorite per se, but I like how all three vocalists work together in Mastodon.

I thought Emperor of Sand was a particularly strong later period album from the band. To my ears they really tapped into the Crack the Skye vibes again on that album.

But after having had my first weekend with Hushed & Grim, my premature evaluation is that they've knocked it out of the park this time. Watery eyes, goosebumps, they just make it happen on this album. My album of the year for sure, and that's coming from a moderate Mastodon fan.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: November 01, 2021, 03:08:44 AM »
my premature evaluation

:zydar:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2324 on: November 01, 2021, 03:26:07 AM »
My Cd arrived and according to itunes - both discs are 44 minutes  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2325 on: November 01, 2021, 04:25:18 AM »
I see what you mean about the CD packaging. Usually when albums are like that I just buy them on iTunes as the packaging adds no value.

And there's no DVD.

But I might get it on vinyl later...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2326 on: November 01, 2021, 04:52:04 AM »
I see what you mean about the CD packaging. Usually when albums are like that I just buy them on iTunes as the packaging adds no value.

And there's no DVD.

But I might get it on vinyl later...

Yeah, the packaging is poor but that's a non issue now considering how good this is.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2327 on: November 01, 2021, 04:54:21 AM »
guys...

Guys...

GUYS!!!!!

OMG I've withheld listening to the album (with the exception of the first single) till today when I could give my complete attention all at once and drink it in. I am DRUNK off the 'Don.. Holy crap. I knew it would be good but I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I'm only at "Had It All" atm and I do not want this album to end. There's so many incredible things going on throughout each song. This is just freaking incredible! WOW  :o

Indeed, it's incredible really.

I wasn't too sure at first listen, but somewhere around 2nd/3rd listen I just couldn't stop listening anymore. I thought the singles were getting better with each release. In the beginning I was still getting used to the production and I initially was a bit disappointed to hear so little of Hinds' vocals throughout. Not that he's my favorite per se, but I like how all three vocalists work together in Mastodon.

I thought Emperor of Sand was a particularly strong later period album from the band. To my ears they really tapped into the Crack the Skye vibes again on that album.

But after having had my first weekend with Hushed & Grim, my premature evaluation is that they've knocked it out of the park this time. Watery eyes, goosebumps, they just make it happen on this album. My album of the year for sure, and that's coming from a moderate Mastodon fan.

I would like a little more Brent too but Troy owns this album and Btann is great too that you don't miss Brent all that much.  Maybe he wanted to sing less and focus on his leads maybe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2328 on: November 01, 2021, 05:03:32 AM »
I know they've said in the past that all 3 guys write vocals for each section and they all decide who's they prefer.

Maybe Troy and Brann's parts they just all preferred.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2329 on: November 01, 2021, 07:06:08 AM »
I would like a little more Brent too but Troy owns this album and Btann is great too that you don't miss Brent all that much.  Maybe he wanted to sing less and focus on his leads maybe.

This is definitely Troy's vocal performance of his career!

When we do get Brent, on The Beast, it's excellent. He's less mumbly, and seemingly more confident than past efforts. I've always like the timber of his voice.

I'm one of those fans who've often felt like Brann's vocals are an intrusion to the Mastodon vibe. I will say, the way he's used on this record, and when, is near perfect. Maybe it's the music, maybe it's the lyrics, but Brann is more accompanying Troy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2330 on: November 01, 2021, 07:25:13 AM »
Seriously, I know it's only been 3 days, but damn is this album good. So many good tracks, nothing feels repetitive or similar to another song. Each track has it's own color.

The singles keep getting better and better as well. Teardrinker is up there as a top Mastodon song for me.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2331 on: November 01, 2021, 07:31:23 AM »
I do get vibes from other songs but that's cause i've been listening to the band since 2004.

The Beast is VERY Pendulous Skin ( from Blood Mountain ) for example.

The riff that begins Peace & Tranquility is so similar to a section on Emperor of Sand - I think it's Jaguar God.

Not in a bad way - obviously it's not Ctrl C Ctrl V. But it's their style. It harkens back to the 'mad jazz' section on Crack The Skye. Maybe The Czar ?

Where it goes jazz for a few bars.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2332 on: November 01, 2021, 08:14:19 AM »
First impression after one full listen is VERY positive. Great stuff all over, can't wait to dig back in.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2333 on: November 01, 2021, 08:43:52 AM »
I do get vibes from other songs but that's cause i've been listening to the band since 2004.

The Beast is VERY Pendulous Skin ( from Blood Mountain ) for example.

The riff that begins Peace & Tranquility is so similar to a section on Emperor of Sand - I think it's Jaguar God.

Not in a bad way - obviously it's not Ctrl C Ctrl V. But it's their style. It harkens back to the 'mad jazz' section on Crack The Skye. Maybe The Czar ?

Where it goes jazz for a few bars.

You are right, what I mean is that they don't sound similar to other songs within the album. There are hints of other albums throughout (Sickle and Peace reminds me of Blue Walsh from the EP, just a little  :metal).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: November 01, 2021, 08:48:13 AM »
I forget that EP exists and I have it on CD.

Also I rarely listen to the Jonah Hex EP but I also have it.

As I said - my upstairs neighbour is going away tomorrow for at least a week so I can play the album at a nice volume

as either side of me is thick thick walls then a corridor then more walls THEN another house. So I won't be annoying anyone.

Online the_silent_man

« Reply #2335 on: November 01, 2021, 10:23:36 AM »
I'm struggling with this one a bit. Honestly, the first few listens have been a bit of a slog to be honest - but I think it's going to be a grower. I just want them to let rip every so often and this is more of a moody, brooding, mid paced affair.

However saying that, it's a lot less 'mainstream' and more "sludgy" than the last 3 albums and there are definitely parts that are reminiscent of "classic" mastodon (to me the first 4 albums).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: November 01, 2021, 03:15:14 PM »
This album is exceptional.  I'm honestly floored considering my disappointment of later Mastodon just how good this is.  This has the ability to rival Senjutsu as my album of the year.

This is an album of a band just having zero pre conceived ideas or direction if that makes sense.  It's like anything goes and each song is just pure, unique expression.  Everything on this has purpose and substance.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2337 on: November 01, 2021, 04:04:27 PM »
I know all 4 of them write the music and they've had 4 years nearly to write this album.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2338 on: November 01, 2021, 05:41:40 PM »
This album is exceptional.  I'm honestly floored considering my disappointment of later Mastodon just how good this is.  This has the ability to rival Senjutsu as my album of the year.

This is an album of a band just having zero pre conceived ideas or direction if that makes sense.  It's like anything goes and each song is just pure, unique expression.  Everything on this has purpose and substance.

Haven’t had any luck with Mastodon but holy balls. This is an absolute almost perfect album. More Than I Could Chew is hitting me hard, specially the outro (those last two minutes are magical).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 05:48:13 PM by goo-goo »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2339 on: November 01, 2021, 05:58:34 PM »
The second half of More Than I Can Chew is fucking incredible.  Brent smokes this one.

This was what I posted on my first listen.  It's amazing.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2340 on: November 01, 2021, 06:08:10 PM »

I feel the same way. Nothing post-Cracke the Skye has lived up to their earlier material, though Emperor of the Sand was a big step up over the previous two albums.

Hushed and Grim is stunningly good, and somewhat of a minor masterpiece. Maybe even a major one.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2341 on: November 01, 2021, 06:09:25 PM »
The only disappointing (and its not even that bad really just muddy compared to The Hunter) album for me is Once More...

It was just missing something.

Ironically - REM and Mastodon are both from Atlanta, Georgia and both have disappointing albums called Around The Sun.

Both bands on Warners too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2342 on: November 01, 2021, 09:28:04 PM »
Had It All is beyond words.  One of the most amazing songs I've ever heard.  Big call, but jeez it's incredible.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2343 on: November 02, 2021, 01:09:42 AM »
Really impressed so far. Holding back on stating any opinions for now but I can relate to what others have said about it sounding a little more like earlier stuffz.

There are several moments that have me closing my eyes and nodding along to the power.  :metal

(I love Once More Round The Sun, btw. One of my top albums of their's)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2344 on: November 02, 2021, 01:11:52 AM »
Really impressed so far. Holding back on stating any opinions for now but I can relate to what others have said about it sounding a little more like earlier stuffz.

There are several moments that have me closing my eyes and nodding along to the power.  :metal

(I love Once More Round The Sun, btw. One of my top albums of their's)

Yep.

OMATS >>> CTS, TH, EOS.