Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 268771 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2240 on: October 28, 2021, 04:41:35 PM »
:o Oh shoot you just reminded me the album is on Streaming in twenty minutes !!!

I won't listen to it all tonight. Maybe just a couple of the opening tracks.

I'm having ear issues atm and I don't want to play loud music at midnight. I'm not sure the other flats would appreciate it.

I'll give it a full listen in the afternoon when I can turn it up :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2241 on: October 28, 2021, 05:05:28 PM »
Pain with An Anchor main riff sounds like Hans Zimmer's Score for Interstellar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: October 28, 2021, 05:22:48 PM »
So far so chuggy.

I can tell i'm not gonna fully appreciate this album on first listen.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2243 on: October 29, 2021, 01:10:12 AM »
ok - I challenge you to listen to Remission twice in a row back to back with no break and see how often you fight the urge to pause or skip  ;D

I do like that their debut album is called Remission - and it's on Relapse records.

That would be like Dream Theater's first album on RoadRunner being called Wile E Coyote :)

Sounds like my kind of challenge.

Same.

I've listened through Hushed and Grim this morning and as much as it's a lot to digest, I really liked it. I'm going to do a full discog run through today before finishing with my second listen to the album.

Just for you Kotow I'll listen to Remission twice, hell maybe even three times  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2244 on: October 29, 2021, 02:21:09 AM »
First impression: it's looooong.
I'm bad at first impressions, rarely like anything before at least 3 listens. But I know in the end it'll be at least solid release, nothing striked me as not good about it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2245 on: October 29, 2021, 06:03:24 AM »
First impression:

Album of the year, and nothing else comes even close!! I loved it so much first time through, but I'm going to listen it some more and give my in depth thoughts later.

Holy s**t, this is so good! :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
HUSHED & GRIM !
« Reply #2246 on: October 29, 2021, 06:05:45 AM »
It wasn't giving me the goosebumps last night - but i'd 100% much rather an album that's a grower - than one I love instantly - but then am tired of six months later...

Also I ordered the 2xCD as I can't afford vinyl at the moment. But I like that it's two discs.

just gives a nicer package overall imo.

Edit : CD dispatched  :corn
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:11:00 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: October 29, 2021, 06:09:57 AM »
First impression:

Album of the year, and nothing else comes even close!! I loved it so much first time through, but I'm going to listen it some more and give my in depth thoughts later.

Holy s**t, this is so good! :metal

Interested to know what brings you to this conclusion.

ok - I challenge you to listen to Remission twice in a row back to back with no break and see how often you fight the urge to pause or skip  ;D

I do like that their debut album is called Remission - and it's on Relapse records.

That would be like Dream Theater's first album on RoadRunner being called Wile E Coyote :)

Sounds like my kind of challenge.

Same.

I've listened through Hushed and Grim this morning and as much as it's a lot to digest, I really liked it. I'm going to do a full discog run through today before finishing with my second listen to the album.

Just for you Kotow I'll listen to Remission twice, hell maybe even three times  :metal

You absolute madman.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2248 on: October 29, 2021, 06:12:13 AM »
Quote from: YouAbsoluteMadman

Forgive them lord for they know not what they do.   ;D

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2249 on: October 29, 2021, 06:23:03 AM »
It does sound a bit long on first listen, maybe because there's a bit more mid paced songs for Mastodon's standards, but also I had a very good first impression about the quality of songwriting.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: October 29, 2021, 06:47:34 AM »
A few of the vocals sounded similar but that's what happens when you write an hour and a half of new music.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2251 on: October 29, 2021, 07:05:48 AM »
Quote from: YouAbsoluteMadman

Forgive them lord for they know not what they do.   ;D

I like Remission but the only reason it ranks fairly low is because the later albums are just so good! Listening through twice in a row this morning was no bother and if anything made me realise the album feels fairly short. It's far from an exhausting listen.

Now ask me to listen to a Meshuggah record twice in a row and that WOULD be an exhausting listen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2252 on: October 29, 2021, 07:11:29 AM »
Especially "Nothing" or whichever one it is that is like one riff for an hour.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: October 29, 2021, 07:58:05 AM »
Listening on my speakers now and noticing parts jump out in volume here and there...

Hopefully that is because the album is not compressed to death.

Mastodon usually have great sounding albums.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2254 on: October 29, 2021, 08:07:03 AM »
Stayed up and listened to a few of the tracks not already released, last night.  I didn't want to stop, but am holding out till I can buy the physical release.  I can't wait to give it a full listen.  What I heard I loved.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: October 29, 2021, 08:07:40 AM »
Well my CD is on the way and I pay for Deezer so...

The Beast sounds exactly like the last song on Blood Mountain I think it is. The super bluesy one. Pendulous Skin ?

Brent has a really great voice now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2256 on: October 29, 2021, 08:15:34 AM »
Skeleton of Splendour is *gorgeous* !😍

It might be New Album Smell - but only 8 tracks in and already think it might end up as my favourite.

Also - no Scott Kelly.

;D Peace And Tranquility intro  :metal Very Emperor Of Sand.

So far this album is all the best aspects from each album in one.  :coolio :coolio

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 08:28:06 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2257 on: October 29, 2021, 08:49:17 AM »
So far I'm liking the album  :metal going to take some time to get use to all the songs, but everything has been enjoyable. I think I need to get my concert tickets soon  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2258 on: October 29, 2021, 09:44:47 AM »
I listened to it for the first time and enjoyed it. I like that it's melodic and easy on the ears, yet complex. This might be one of those rewarding albums after you give them a few listens.

By the way, is it me, or was Brent pretty much absent from the vocals?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2259 on: October 29, 2021, 10:00:22 AM »
I kept getting interrupted while listening, but this is a good album. A lot more melodic that I expected. I think I'll be listening to this for a while  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2260 on: October 29, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »
First impressions: Mildstodon

That didn't bother me with Cold Dark Place though (I like that EP more than the few albums before it), so we'll see
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2261 on: October 29, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »
I'm going to give this band a try.  I have Crack the Skye and haven't really gotten into it yet - I have a feeling some of their heavier songs or albums may do it for me.  I absolutely LOVE the song White Walker though - they knocked it out of the park with that one tune.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2262 on: October 29, 2021, 12:50:42 PM »
Continuing with their discography: Today I listened to Blood Mountain again (because it kills), Crack the Skye, The Hunter, Once More 'Round the Sun (good lord, Chimes at Midnight get's my blood boiling!  :metal ).

It sure is fun to listen to how the band has evolved.

I'll listen to Emperor of Sand and Cold Dark Place tomorrow before my CD arrives. I'll be primed and ready.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2263 on: October 29, 2021, 03:25:44 PM »
I think my biggest problem with this album is that Troy's Macho Man-esque voice is not a good fit for slow, heartfelt acoustic/power ballads. :lol Songs like Dagger and Had It All are very hard for me to take seriously because of his delivery.

The other two vocalists don't fare much better honestly; Brent is barely on it and when he is he doesn't really sound like he usually does, and Brann's vocals have been getting incredibly same-y recently.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2264 on: October 29, 2021, 03:33:18 PM »
I listened to it for the first time and enjoyed it. I like that it's melodic and easy on the ears, yet complex. This might be one of those rewarding albums after you give them a few listens.

By the way, is it me, or was Brent pretty much absent from the vocals?

I hear loads of Brent. He's the lead on The Beast.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2265 on: October 29, 2021, 03:45:41 PM »
After one spin, It's in contention for album of the year. Holy crap!! This has been a great late summer and fall for music. These guys have been remarkably consistent and this album is next-level. Easily on par with the best they have ever done. What a ride!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2266 on: October 29, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »
I think my biggest problem with this album is that Troy's Macho Man-esque voice is not a good fit for slow, heartfelt acoustic/power ballads. :lol Songs like Dagger and Had It All are very hard for me to take seriously because of his delivery.

The other two vocalists don't fare much better honestly; Brent is barely on it and when he is he doesn't really sound like he usually does, and Brann's vocals have been getting incredibly same-y recently.

NEVER ENOUGH

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2267 on: October 29, 2021, 05:29:22 PM »
This is the pinnacle of Mastodon's career. I'm just floored by Hushed and Grim. Absolutely stunning. Dig Bottrill's mix too.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: October 29, 2021, 05:33:44 PM »
If anything it's a touch overboard with the reverb. But it's no Concrete and Gold as far as WAY TOO MUCH reverb and distortion on EVERYTHING.

My god that album sounds fuckin awful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: October 29, 2021, 05:37:44 PM »
If anything it's a touch overboard with the reverb. But it's no Concrete and Gold as far as WAY TOO MUCH reverb and distortion on EVERYTHING.

My god that album sounds fuckin awful.

Is that a Mastodon album I somehow missed?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: October 29, 2021, 05:40:04 PM »
It's the previous Foo Fighters album. Same producer as Medicine At Midnight but somehow he completely forgot how to make a good sounding album.

Every instrument ( including hi hats....) has reverb and distortion on.  :sadpanda:

To me it's unlistenable and WAY worse than Death Magnetic.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2271 on: October 29, 2021, 06:22:37 PM »
I’m so impressed with Hushed and Grim after my first listen. So many interesting things going on.

I’m not bothered by the length - it seems manageable because it is split into two discs.

I also love the fact that there is a song called Gobblers of Dregs.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: October 29, 2021, 06:28:15 PM »
My CD came a day early so I'm going through my initial spin. Kade, please tell me your listening to this! I'm floored by how many new voicings, phrasings, and licks Brent is showing.

Edit: And whoever is doing the keys needs to be made a full member of the band. What an addition to the sound.

Edit 2: Yup. The title doesn’t lie. It’s hushed and grim…and beautiful. There will be a lot of haters, I suppose, but not me. Spit take: Eyes of Serpents is my favorite. Troy sings the melody with such genuine emotion.  :heart
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:35:56 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2273 on: October 29, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »
My CD came a day early so I'm going through my initial spin. Kade, please tell me your listening to this! I'm floored by how many new voicings, phrasings, and licks Brent is showing.

Edit: And whoever is doing the keys needs to be made a full member of the band. What an addition to the sound.

Edit 2: Yup. The title doesn’t lie. It’s hushed and grim…and beautiful. There will be a lot of haters, I suppose, but not me. Spit take: Eyes of Serpents is my favorite. Troy sings the melody with such genuine emotion.  :heart

I'll go and buy my copy tomorrow and listen tomorrow night Gregg.  Really looking forward to it.  Although, I wasn't really impressed with EOS so I'm a little hesitant, but I've really enjoyed the singles really so far.  I've accepted Mastodon aren't going back to a Remission of Leviathan style, just took EOS to process that.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: October 30, 2021, 05:47:08 AM »
Well, my friend, I don't know if you'll enjoy this album either. They do experiment quite a bit, especially on disc 2. Nary a power cord to be found.  :'(  And as you say, the days of Mother Puncher, Blood and Thunder, and Cysquatch are far behind them.

I think you and I talked some years ago about how Brents leads are all the same, and while that could still be said, to an extent, he has branched out a bit more...and with startlingly good effect.