Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 264661 times)

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. The Hunter
« Reply #980 on: February 12, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
I've tried many times to get into the Hunter but it never seems to work for me.  I always go back to you thinking that I must be missing something, but same as Floyd, I just end up wanting to turn it off.

The Hunter has a handful of great songs but they're either ones that sound like Mastodon should sound (Black Tongue, Spectrelight) and different but cool sounding (The Sparrow). The rest of the album doesn't feel quite right. The entire thing is assembled like a giant collection of goofy B-sides, much like The Who's Odd Sods.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: February 12, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
It was recorded quickly from mostly half written songs - but being Mastodon they made it awesome anyway.

When a band like Metallica knocks out an album from songs written in the studio - we get St. Anger and Lulu.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #982 on: February 12, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
I've tried many times to get into the Hunter but it never seems to work for me.  I always go back to you thinking that I must be missing something, but same as Floyd, I just end up wanting to turn it off.

The Hunter has a handful of great songs but they're either ones that sound like Mastodon should sound (Black Tongue, Spectrelight) and different but cool sounding (The Sparrow). The rest of the album doesn't feel quite right. The entire thing is assembled like a giant collection of goofy B-sides, much like The Who's Odd Sods.
I almost kinda like it for that reason.  :lol

The Hunter is not my favorite Mastodon album but it does sit comfortably right in the middle.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: February 12, 2014, 08:41:01 PM »
After Crack The Skye - they understandably didn't want to do another gruelling concept album.

It was a year to write - then they recorded it once to iron out all the bumps. Then they recorded it properly. Must have been exhausting.

Brann even had one planned out and nobody wanted to go through that again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: February 13, 2014, 05:15:13 AM »

That's exactly what it sounds like.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #985 on: February 13, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
It was recorded quickly from mostly half written songs - but being Mastodon they made it awesome anyway.

When a band like Metallica knocks out an album from songs written in the studio - we get St. Anger and Lulu.

Being better at slapping something together than a half-hearted Metallica is far from establishing an album as good in any way.

After Crack The Skye - they understandably didn't want to do another gruelling concept album.

It was a year to write - then they recorded it once to iron out all the bumps. Then they recorded it properly. Must have been exhausting.

Brann even had one planned out and nobody wanted to go through that again.

There's a veritable canyon's worth of different styles of albums and album lengths between casually-thrown-together and grandiose concept. As in every other album they've ever released except for the two used in this comparison.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »
TL:DR you don't like The Hunter ?

I don't see the problem with them putting out a fun album with silly titles and subject matter after putting out essentially 4 concept albums in a row.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #987 on: February 13, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »
I don't think Remission or Blood Mountain are concepts. Also, you kind of keep refuting points I'm not even making. My problem with The Hunter is I consider it a boring mess with not even one go-to song. I hate 8VM but can at least enjoy Panic Attack and, occasionally, TROAE. TH being a "fun" album is the quick excuse by its apologists. I always see people using that angle to incorrectly imply that TH dissentors only want Mastodon to make music specifically tailored to their tastes. No, I just wanna not regret wasting money on something I get zero enjoymeny out of. IMO, the songs just weren't there at all and nothing about their method of writing and recording it influenced my opinion. The severely-below-par output did.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #988 on: February 13, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
I really like The Hunter and think it's a great and fun album. I really enjoy the wackiness of it, which I feel like has been pretty much present in Mastodon all along but is really prominent on The Hunter. I admire Mastodon for being another band that creates albums which are really different to each other while the band still has a trademark style/sound.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #989 on: February 13, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »
IIRC Blood Mountain is a concept album.

There's nothing wrong with liking The Hunter because it's less serious than prior albums and nobody is an apologist for doing so. I wouldn't like it if all their albums were like it from now on. THAT would be disappointing.

Personally I think Remission is one big block of boring with maybe only a few songs that are at all memorable but I'm not going to say that anyone who likes it only does so because it's their most brutal album. That would be silly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: February 13, 2014, 12:18:46 PM »
I don't think Remission or Blood Mountain are concepts. Also, you kind of keep refuting points I'm not even making. My problem with The Hunter is I consider it a boring mess with not even one go-to song. I hate 8VM but can at least enjoy Panic Attack and, occasionally, TROAE. TH being a "fun" album is the quick excuse by its apologists. I always see people using that angle to incorrectly imply that TH dissentors only want Mastodon to make music specifically tailored to their tastes. No, I just wanna not regret wasting money on something I get zero enjoymeny out of. IMO, the songs just weren't there at all and nothing about their method of writing and recording it influenced my opinion. The severely-below-par output did.

Your not liking it any way does not subtract from me thinking it's a fun album. I can't believe you don't even like The Title Track or even The Sparrow.

The band have even gone on record as saying it's a fun album so it's not just " apologists ".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: February 13, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »

Yep. It involves a guy tasked with taking a crystal skull to the top of the actual Blood Mountain. It has a narrative. Plus it represents the Earth element.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #992 on: February 13, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »
I don't think Remission or Blood Mountain are concepts.

Blood Mountain is totally a concept album; it's a tale of a failed Hero's Journey. It even references Joseph Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces in some of the lyrics, such as "The Wolf Is Loose."

Also, you kind of keep refuting points I'm not even making. My problem with The Hunter is I consider it a boring mess with not even one go-to song. I hate 8VM but can at least enjoy Panic Attack and, occasionally, TROAE. TH being a "fun" album is the quick excuse by its apologists.

Okay, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion and I totally understand not wanting to waste money on an album that you end up regretting having ever purchased.

Having said that...

I always see people using that angle to incorrectly imply that TH dissentors only want Mastodon to make music specifically tailored to their tastes.

Dude. You yourself have made posts here about how you would rather Mastodon only making albums that follow in the path of Remission. I even have a quote ready from you.

If they made every future album in Remission's style, I'd die a happy man.

Sure, obviously that's not the case for everyone who was disappointed by The Hunter, but this kinda takes away some credibility on your personal stance.

There's nothing wrong with liking The Hunter because it's less serious than prior albums and nobody is an apologist for doing so. I wouldn't like it if all their albums were like it from now on. THAT would be disappointing.

Personally I think Remission is one big block of boring with maybe only a few songs that are at all memorable but I'm not going to say that anyone who likes it only does so because it's their most brutal album. That would be silly.

Yeah, Remission took quite a long time for me to get into, as did Crack the Skye. But ultimately, I found both albums to be very rewarding listens and made me appreciate Mastodon even more. As I said yesterday, the differences with each album is a big part of why I love Mastodon as a band.

I also have to agree that I'd be incredibly disappointed if every album Mastodon did from here on out were like The Hunter for that reason. It's totally a fun album. Reminds me a bit of certain Judas Priest albums in that the music is heavy and awesome, but thinking isn't really required too much for it either.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:00:53 PM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #993 on: February 13, 2014, 04:36:32 PM »
I never challenged whether or not Mastodon said that. By "apologists" I meant people who persistently deflect the criticisms by refuting a stance I wasn't making in the first place. Folks keep trying to make it into this being a case of the dissentors not getting what Mastodon's intent was with the album as though we'll like it better if we change our perspective whereas the reality is that many of us have listened to it numerous times and just don't like it for what it is regardless of context. I've probably given it a dozen full spins and don't even have one song on it I'd choose to listen to it for. Some of my biggest at-their-time-of-release disappointments ever were Load, No Code (Pearl Jam), 8VM, and Heritage. All of those still had at least one song I legitimately enjoyed once I had a few spins with them so while TH isn't my least favorite album ever, the lack of having anything to look forward to on it makes it an absolute dud for me. Mastodon's creative motivation for it has zero bearing on changing my level of enjoyment for something as unfulfilling to me as it is.

You're also exaggerating my Remission comment if you think that statement means I specifically want them to just cater to me. I think a decent chunk of this forum would be quite alright with DT making a bunch of albums in IAW's style (in its style, not identical mind you) though that obviously doesn't mean they're specifically expecting them to do so.

I notice the same obstinate generalizing mindset with Cynic fans on here when I pine for the style on Focus. It seems like just cuz the consensus here is that both bands have gotten "better" as time's gone by while decreasing their heaviness and increasing their implementation of progressive themes that when people like me yearn for the earlier, heavier styles of the bands, y'all make this sweeping generalization that we want a carbon copy of the same album for the long haul. To clarify, I love Opeth's first eight albums because they did exactly what I wish Mastodon and Cynic had. They had a very awesome sound and used it on every one of those eight albums except for Damnation. THAT's what I'm aiming at. Notice how a band can have a distinctive style without radically altering it and it doesn't get stagnant?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:45:45 PM by black_floyd »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: February 13, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
TL;DR

:metal The Hunter is awesome.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #995 on: February 13, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »
You deserve EVERY bit of mockery you get in the AM thread if you're gonna make a mocking post like that.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #996 on: February 13, 2014, 04:54:15 PM »
I never challenged whether or not Mastodon said that. By "apologists" I meant people who persistently deflect the criticisms by refuting a stance I wasn't making in the first place. Folks keep trying to make it into this being a case of the dissentors not getting what Mastodon's intent was with the album as though we'll like it better if we change our perspective whereas the reality is that many of us have listened to it numerous times and just don't like it for what it is regardless of context. I've probably given it a dozen full spins and don't even have one song on it I'd choose to listen to it for. Some of my biggest at-their-time-of-release disappointments ever were Load, No Code (Pearl Jam), 8VM, and Heritage. All of those still had at least one song I legitimately enjoyed once I had a few spins with them so while TH isn't my least favorite album ever, the lack of having anything to look forward to on it makes it an absolute dud for me. Mastodon's creative motivation for it has zero bearing on changing my level of enjoyment for something as unfulfilling to me as it is.

You're also exaggerating my Remission comment if you think that statement means I specifically want them to just cater to me. I think a decent chunk of this forum would be quite alright with DT making a bunch of albums in IAW's style (in its style, not identical mind you) though that obviously doesn't mean they're specifically expecting them to do so.

I notice the same obstinate generalizing mindset with Cynic fans on here when I pine for the style on Focus. It seems like just cuz the consensus here is that both bands have gotten "better" as time's gone by while decreasing their heaviness and increasing their implementation of progressive themes that when people like me yearn for the earlier, heavier styles of the bands, y'all make this sweeping generalization that we want a carbon copy of the same album for the long haul. To clarify, I love Opeth's first eight albums because they did exactly what I wish Mastodon and Cynic had. They had a very awesome sound and used it on every one of those eight albums except for Damnation. THAT's what I'm aiming at. Notice how a band can have a distinctive style without radically altering it and it doesn't get stagnant?

If I recall correctly, you dislike Crack The Skye, yes? But that's hardly a radial departure from their sound, just a bit of a refinement.

And besides, why shouldn't they radically alter their sound? It's their music, they can do what they want with it.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #997 on: February 13, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
No, I like Crack the Skye. Also, I didn't say they shouldn't alter their sound. I was pointing out how the people who try to act like its impossible for a band to have a consistent sound without it becoming stagnant were pretty off their rocker in that assertion.

Also, CtS is a fairly big departure. The guitars are quite a bit less distorted, the vocals are far less gritty than any album preceding it, and the songs are way longer than usual.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:05:53 PM by black_floyd »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: February 13, 2014, 05:01:09 PM »
I'm on my way back home  :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #999 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
No, I like Crack the Skye. Also, I didn't say they shouldn't alter their sound. I was pointing out how the people who try to act like its impossible for a band to have a consistent sound without it becoming stagnany were pretty off their rocker in that assertion.

Also, CtS is a fairly big departure. The guitars are quite a bit less distorted, the vocals are far less gritty than any album preceding it, and the songs are way longer than usual.

Huh. I have no idea why I thought that, then. :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1000 on: February 13, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
I like Remission and Leviathan a lot better than it and it's kind of a coinflip with Lifesblood. Maybe you saw my rankings once and only saw two albums beneath it.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1001 on: March 11, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »
Details are starting to pop up on the new album! :biggrin:

What song that you've written means the most to you up to this point?

Bill Kelliher: I don't know. I'd have to say it's something off of our new album. There's a song called "High Road". I wrote the music. The lyrics were written by Brann Dailor. I think it's going to be a single. It was a riff I wrote in my sober time. I was feeling really good about it. I actually wrote it on a James Hetfield model ESP. It's the "Snake Bite" guitar. I was sitting in my hotel room in Luxembourg because we had a couple of days off there. It's a very simple, easy, and heavy riff. I didn't think it would catch on with anybody else, but Brann was like, "I hear some really cool vocals there!" It just blossomed into this huge six-minute song with cool leads. They're not solos, but leads in the middle of the song I put together my song. It's something I worked really hard on. It's new and fresh. I'm excited for it to come out and have other people hear it and let me know what they think.
Read more at https://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/interview-mastodon-gojira-and-kvelertak-talk-2014-tour/10864116#jScjqXiFdhgJdbir.99

About half an hour southwest of downtown Nashville, in the bucolic outskirts of Franklin, Tennessee, amid horse farms and split-rail fences, you'll find Rock Falcon Studios. It's here that Atlanta's prog-metal behemoths Mastodon have been holed up to track their forthcoming sixth studio album with noted rock producer Nick Raskulinecz, known for his work with Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Deftones and Rush, among others. And according to drummer Brann Dailor, who shares vocal and songwriting duties with his bandmates, Mastodon has spent more time creating this album than any prior record — and therein lies the record's theme.

"It's not necessarily a concept," he says, "but the concept deals with things that have transpired throughout this past year." With 2011's The Hunter, Mastodon broke away from the concept-album approach they'd mined so intensively on their first four records. This time out, it seems, they'll split the difference. "It's a year, it's a repetition around the sun and everything that's transpired. Some big things have happened to us."

Dailor declines to elaborate, citing the personal nature of those "big things." But this wouldn't be the first time a Mastodon record found at least partial inspiration in very personal events — The Hunter dealt with the accidental death of guitarist Brent Hinds' brother, and 2009's Crack the Skye took its name from Dailor's younger sister Skye, who took her life at age 14.

"I feel like this record is a return to the more visceral exploration of, I don't know, exorcising demons," says Dailor. "It's dark and it's creepy. It's that tool that we're able to use to somewhat better ourselves and make sure that we don't lose it."

Regarding the creative headspace he and his bandmates have occupied in making this record, Dailor refers to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Shining as well as Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby. (When recording 2006's Blood Mountain, he points out, Mastodon was all about Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo and Santa Sangre.)

But this record isn't all Kubrickian darkness and pastoral isolation. "It's gonna be a summer release, so I feel like it needs to be amped," Dailor says. "I don't feel like it needs to be slow, and doom and gloom. That's a winter album. We were actually talking about that earlier, like, 'Why don't we take some of the stuff that's really moody and slow and do, like, a winter EP?'"

With 15 tracks in the can — Dailor says they'll trim two or three of those, or as many as it takes to get the album down to roughly an hour — the band hopes to offer a little of everything from the Mastodon wheelhouse.

"We have a few really kickass rock'n'roll songs on here," Dailor says. "We have the metal, the heavy-heavy. We have the totally whacked-out and bizarre. And then we have the super-hooky, big-chorus stuff that's still bizarre and still Mastodon — but it's super catchy. It's wild, all over the place. There's a lot of variety."

Sitting in the driver's seat of Mastodon's touring van, which is parked in the gravel drive that snakes behind Rock Falcon, Dailor previews three rough mixes in the van's CD player: "Tread Lightly," which is replete with familiar shredding; "Buzzard's Guts" (a working title, says Dailor), with a chorus that promises, "This time, things'll work out just fine," before sliding into a proggy breakdown; and "Scent of Bitter Almonds," a dreamier and more disjointed exploration. Dailor also says that "Aunt Lisa," "the craziest song on the record," was inspired by the drummer's own "wild" aunt and features a "crazy robot vocal" from bassist Troy Sanders.

Taking a full year to make this record and tracking it in such a distraction-free setting, says Dailor, has allowed Mastodon to give each song the attention it deserves. "It just takes sitting down with it and giving it the proper attention. Each song has received the royal treatment."
https://www.spin.com/articles/mastodon-new-album-interview/

I'm definitely getting a "Remission meets The Hunter" vibe from those titles and a "Blood Mountain" vibe from the musical descriptions. :lol :metal :tup :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1002 on: March 12, 2014, 12:57:56 AM »
That really sounds epic  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1003 on: March 12, 2014, 05:55:55 AM »
That really sounds epic  :metal

Indeed it does. I'm especially curious and excited to hear "Scent of Bitter Almonds" and "Aunt Lisa" in particular. I also like that the band looked to Stanley Kubrick for influence on this album. :tup :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1004 on: April 04, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
We officially have an album title: Once More Around the Sun! :metal

Mastodon has one of the most celebrated discographies in modern metal, so any news of a new album is great news. We caught up with bassist and vocalist Troy Sanders to discuss the band’s forthcoming album, Once More Round the Sun, which is slated for a release later this year on Warner Brothers Records.

“The songs all revealed themselves as what we’d hoped they’d sound like,” Sanders told us in February, immediately following the album’s tracking. “It’s big hugs all the way around. The four of us are digging it very heavily.” The album—which took the band from their hometown in Atlanta to Franklin, Tenn., for recording late last year—was just mixed by producer Nick Raskulinecz (Deftones, Rush, Alice in Chains, The Hold Steady). Now the Atlanta quartet is just waiting to solidify a release date.

“The idea was generated before we recorded the title track on the record, but the title was thought up many months ago,” Sanders said earlier this week about Once More Round the Sun. “After we finished the two-year touring cycle on our last record, The Hunter, we were kind of gearing up to go back to our rehearsal space in Atlanta. And we were starting the effort, the time, the blood, the energy, the months of driving, the recording and the long process between recording and the release day.

“In a nutshell: we’re fortunate enough to do this again, but there’s this feeling of this yearly cycle. It’s not a bad thing. We get to go tour a bunch, we get to record a bunch of songs we love. It’s embracing the positive—the wonderful side, to be able to have the same four dudes who love doing what we do so much. And like anything in the Mastodon world, it’s open to interpretation.”

Sanders said the album’s 60-or-so minutes are pure, authentic Mastodon. It launches off as a progression from The Hunter, which saw the band trimming back on song runtimes and pulling away from heavily conceptual pieces like Crack the Skye or Leviathan. “We’re all over the world as far as themes go,” Sanders said. “But there are a few sprinkles of epic goodness.” And with three vocalists—Sanders, drummer Brann Dailor and guitarist Brent Hinds—expect a pretty even split from what Sanders dubs traditional Mastodon vocal tag-team.

“A lot of people ask us if it kicks off where The Hunter left off,” he said. “And to a large degree, I suppose yes. We recorded it and took it on the road with us, and then we headed back to our rehearsal space and started working out ideas. I’ve had a lot of time to ingest this record, and it’s solid. It’s a large slab of granite. I’m once again completely proud of these guys.”

Unlike many Mastodon albums of the past, Once More Round the Sun’s sessions left the band with some extra material. The band ended up cutting around 30 minutes of music, which Sanders hopes to see as an additional EP after the album release. “We didn’t want a 90-minute album. We like to record around the 60-minute mark. That’s what our favorite records are. We’re in love with all 15 of [the songs], so they might all see the light of day in some platform or another.”

As far as the songs themselves, Sanders has a few favorites. One includes “Diamonds in the Witch House,” which has an expected guest spot from longtime collaborator Scott Kelly of Neurosis. “I think subconsciously that we’re trying to involve him with every album enough to have a full set of songs eventually,” Sanders said, laughing. “I think his performance is great, his part still gives me chills. That’s a great sign.” Another early standout is “Ember City,” which was the first track Sanders contributed lyrically and vocally in the writing process for Once More Round the Sun.” “But I’m a big fan of every song on the record,” he added.

And with a band that’s got such powerful album covers like Leviathan, Crack the Skye or The Hunter, what can we expect there? Oakland-based artist Skinner, who specializes in “psychedelic nightmare paintings” (his words), will take the reins on Once More Round the Sun. “It’s going to be a work of art for sure. It’s going to be very eye-opening, very striking. It’s from another dimension, and a lot of our music is geared toward that idea—taking you to another planet on songs. It’s out there, and I think it’s incredible.”

Mastodon does not yet have a release date set for Once More Round the Sun, but you can catch them starting late this month on their North American tour.

Sounds interesting! :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1005 on: April 04, 2014, 10:49:43 AM »
:metal

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1006 on: April 04, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
Some pretty dope song titles in there  :metal

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1007 on: April 04, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »
Hope they preview some new songs on their upcoming tour with Gojira!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1008 on: April 04, 2014, 11:00:33 AM »
Man I would love to go see that tour, ESPECIALLY because fucking Kvelertak is going to be on it, but with my luck they're not even touching Florida, AGAIN; meanwhile they'll be hitting up Minneapolis for what I think is the third time since I've moved away last year, and now my friend who I showed Kvelertak gets to see them once again(so jealous!); meanwhile I've never gotten to see them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:09:25 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
Once More Round The Sun

:metal :corn :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: April 04, 2014, 03:54:46 PM »
Hopefully this one is better than The Hunter.  I wish they'd let Bill sing too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1011 on: April 04, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »
Has he even sung a song by himself? I know he does backing vocals live. His growl on Blood and Thunder from Live at Brixton sound awesome IMO.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1012 on: April 04, 2014, 04:21:03 PM »

The impression I got was that Bill is choosing not to sing. But I could be wrong.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: April 04, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »
He sings lead vocals on Deathbound from The Hunter.

Offline adace

« Reply #1014 on: April 04, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »
The guy who's doing the cover art, Skinner, has some amazing stuff: https://www.google.com/search?q=skinner+artist&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g1k_U5_HEurV2QW8yICoCg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=899

I'm not really a fan of the art for The Hunter, but it looks like we're gonna get something awesome again for this one.