Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 264603 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. The Hunter
« Reply #840 on: April 05, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »
As long as it's The Bends era Radiohead with the trademark Mastodon sludge.

Not Amnesiac era wtf-is-this-shit era Radiohead.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »
" There are open doors and there are revolving doors "

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #842 on: April 05, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »
As stated in the RMH thread:

Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Mastodon - The Hunter

woo hoo!!  Both on my top 50 list.
Yeah, it's actually your avatar that inspired me to get them. Currently on Crack the Skye, and I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing. The Czar was amazing.

... I should probably take this to the Mastodon thread.

... so here I am. If the rest of the albums matches up to CTS, then I'm sold. Currently on The Last Baron, The Hunter's next.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #843 on: April 05, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
Crack the Skye is awesome, but is a big change from their previous. Hopefully you like their earlier work as well

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #844 on: April 05, 2013, 04:22:54 PM »
Just dropping by here. Crack the Skye is one of my favourite albums of all time, and by far my favourite Mastodon album. I've listened to The Hunter and Blood Mountain a few times and liked them, but not nearly as much as CTS. Maybe I should try again sometime.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #845 on: April 05, 2013, 04:24:50 PM »
The Hunter is pretty cool as well, from what I gathered during my first listen, though I can't really compare it to CTS yet - both are totally different records.

EDIT: The Sparrow is pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:32:23 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: April 05, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
From the quotes, I'm not getting excited at all, but Mastodon to me is Remission/Leviathan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #847 on: April 05, 2013, 07:19:42 PM »
From the quotes, I'm not getting excited at all, but Mastodon to me is Remission/Leviathan.

Yup. I feel virtually no remorse by hitting torrents for music now since 90% of bands that I supported when they were very obscure just go on to nearly completely abandon the style that drew me to them in the first place by either pandering to the new fans or getting their Brian Wilson on, so to speak, by overtly trying to make "the best album ever" (as judged by critics, not the actual fans) once they reach a level of notoriety that gives them a sustainable career.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #848 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
The Hunter is pretty cool as well, from what I gathered during my first listen, though I can't really compare it to CTS yet - both are totally different records.

Best song on the album. Only "Black Tongue" and "Spectrelight" are really all that interesting to me.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #849 on: April 05, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »

Best song on the album. Only "Black Tongue" and "Spectrelight" are really all that interesting to me.

for me, it's Stargasm and Dry Bone Valley.  Can't get enough of those.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #850 on: April 05, 2013, 07:56:54 PM »

you're certainly right about that.  The Hunter is all about short concise songs that get their point across and end.  CTS, at least much of it, is about exploring all kinds of craziness.
Winger would be better!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #851 on: April 05, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »

Yup. I feel virtually no remorse by hitting torrents for music now since 90% of bands that I supported when they were very obscure just go on to nearly completely abandon the style that drew me to them in the first place by either pandering to the new fans or getting their Brian Wilson on, so to speak, by overtly trying to make "the best album ever" (as judged by critics, not the actual fans) once they reach a level of notoriety that gives them a sustainable career.
Yeah, I definitely don't think Crack the Skye is their best. No siree no. Guess I must be one of those 'actual fans' then.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #852 on: April 05, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
Wow, I can't believe some of what I'm reading. You're no môre an actual fan than I am, you're the one who doesn't enjoy their newer work, which aside from being less heavy, they're really not that different stylalistically.
Just retread your post and saw what you actually meant.
But I think some of the people who gripe about their new sound could still adjust their thinking
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:48:57 PM by Dark Castle »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #853 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
There are semantic similarities (Brann's top echelon drumming, their penchant for chaotically difficult arpeggios, etc.) but, as far as the overall vibe goes, Remission and Leviathan own the living shit out of everything since in my opinion. CTS took a while to grow and is easily my favorite of the three subsequent albums but the other two just feel like they followed heralded albums and were just "riding the wave" and did very little to set the world on fire.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: April 06, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

Dafuq did I just read ?  :sad:

If you listen to every Mastodon album from Remission to The Hunter - You can clearly hear a progression.

They didn't suddenly abandon their trademark style and make an electronic avant-garde album like some bands.

I'd love to know how "The Hunter" sounds like every other band out there at the moment. . .

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #855 on: April 06, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »

If you listen to every Mastodon album from Remission to The Hunter - You can clearly hear a progression.

They didn't suddenly abandon their trademark style and make an electronic avant-garde album like some bands.

I'd love to know how "The Hunter" sounds like every other band out there at the moment. . .
^this

• DT.net Member
« Reply #856 on: April 06, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »

Apparently not my post you quoted if it led you to say:

If "progression" means "making music that is roughly the same level of complexity of prior tracks such as Ol'e Nessie, Trilobite, March of the Fire Ants, Trainwreck, Aqua Dementia, and Hearts Alive but with the inclusion of more acoustic guitars and a concept album", then sure, they have progressed. That's no knock on Crack the Skye either as I enjoy it pretty well overall. I just think FAR too many newer fans just fail to realize that the nuances and intricacies that they love on CtS have been around since Remission just because y'all don't care for the rawer-edged sound and more roar-dominant vocal style. People act like Mastodon reached some new pinnacle with CtS despite the fact that every album after Lifesblood has had shitloads of weird time signatures, off-kilter melodic sections, and all the other things that embody their unique sound.

Hyperbole much? Please tell me where I said, or even implied, that.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #857 on: April 06, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
Maybe I'm alone here but The Hunter doesn't resonate with me that well because of the amount of major keys in the songs. Major keys in metal can be done well but I rarely find it enjoyable to listen to. The way it comes off on a lot of songs on the album, especially with the ridiculous song titles and lyrics, makes it seem more like parody and plain goofiness, two things that I do not look for in Mastodon. They probably were in the mood to make an album like that that sounded quite a bit different from their usual stuff but it seemed to come off like a brain dump of fragmented ideas that ultimately sounds like a compilation B-side album like The Who's Odd & Sods.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: April 06, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
The way I see it - The Hunter is Mastodon making an album from bits and bobs and it's still great.

Which means when they put their minds to it - it's awesome but when they don't it's still great.

Offline drummerThatShreds87

• Paradiddles...
« Reply #859 on: April 06, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
didn't like this album as much as Crack the Skye, but it wasn't bad. Some gems for sure.
"We stand, until night, we rise until day, bringeth the light until the night" -Empath

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: April 07, 2013, 05:10:48 AM »
Wow, I can't believe some of what I'm reading. You're no môre an actual fan than I am, you're the one who doesn't enjoy their newer work, which aside from being less heavy, they're really not that different stylalistically.
Just retread your post and saw what you actually meant.
But I think some of the people who gripe about their new sound could still adjust their thinking

I totally disagree.  I don't hear anything in Crack the Skye that is similar to Remission.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: April 07, 2013, 06:50:36 AM »
Though I don't agree with the overall point...

the nuances and intricacies that they love on CtS have been around since Remission

:D

• DT.net Member
« Reply #862 on: April 07, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
1. Congrats on your 12000th post :metal

2. I'm not sure what the emote means. Does it convey heavy skepticism or whimsical agreement?

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #863 on: April 07, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
I still really love The Hunter but I'm due to listen to some Mastodon again. Those quotes actually do excite me, though-- I'd love an album that has some long, epic CTS-type tracks, some heavy, crazy Leviathan-type songs, and some quick, fun Hunter type songs. Although, I don't think that would entirely work for a concept album. Still.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #864 on: April 07, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
dud mastodon.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #865 on: April 09, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
Top 5 Remission/Leviathan songs:

1. March of the Fire Ants
2. Elephant Man
3. Ol'e Nessie
4. Trilobite
5. Trainwreck

I guess my fave Leviathan track would vary between Megalodon and Hearts Alive depending on the day. It's weird too because I hadn't realized just how much more I like Remission until I made this list.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: April 09, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »
Why even put Leviathan in the title?

« Reply #867 on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »
Top 4 Leviathan Songs plus a song from Remission cuz what the fuck:
1. Naked Burn
2. Megalodon
3. Blood and Thunder
4. March of the Fire Ants
5. Aqua Dementia

• DT.net Member
« Reply #868 on: April 09, 2013, 11:04:51 PM »

Cuz I'm still interested in other people's opinions of these songs since they seem to be somewhat lost in the mix overall when DTF discusses the 'don.

Also, yippy! Post #12112

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:59 AM »

Cuz I'm still interested in other people's opinions of these songs since they seem to be somewhat lost in the mix overall when DTF discusses the 'don.

Also, yippy! Post #12112

Really?  I never get that impression.  Its typically near the top of most people's lists.  I think maybe the discussion tends to gravitate towards CTS/The Hunter because people are disappointed or defending the other.

But for the record....

1. Megalodon
2. Blood and Thunder
3. Aqua Dementia
4. I am Ahab
5. Island

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #870 on: April 11, 2013, 06:13:31 AM »
But for the record....

1. Megalodon
2. Blood and Thunder
3. Aqua Dementia
4. I am Ahab
5. Island

I'd put Hearts Alive at #4 and I Am Ahab at #5 but other than that, I agree.

« Reply #871 on: April 11, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
Yeah Leviathan is very well regarded around here.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: April 11, 2013, 08:46:04 AM »
Maybe I'm alone here but The Hunter doesn't resonate with me that well because of the amount of major keys in the songs. Major keys in metal can be done well but I rarely find it enjoyable to listen to. The way it comes off on a lot of songs on the album, especially with the ridiculous song titles and lyrics, makes it seem more like parody and plain goofiness, two things that I do not look for in Mastodon. They probably were in the mood to make an album like that that sounded quite a bit different from their usual stuff but it seemed to come off like a brain dump of fragmented ideas that ultimately sounds like a compilation B-side album like The Who's Odd & Sods.

I really agree with all of this.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #873 on: May 09, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »
Been listening to lots of the 'don lately and just furthering my man crush on Brann Dailor... dude is such a beast. I'm usually big into guitar and this whole band is so very, very musically talented with all three of Brent, Bill and Troy definitely being reasons I love this band; but Brann just makes me smile listening to his playing behind it all.  :hat

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #874 on: May 09, 2013, 11:39:11 PM »
Brann is indeed great
Winger would be better!