Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 264798 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. The Hunter
« Reply #770 on: October 19, 2012, 05:06:29 AM »
Watching the Fire Ants video right now.  Damn how the band has become so ordinary compared to this.

I don't know, it sounds pretty generic compared to what they're doing now.

There is nothing generic about Remission IMO. 

I first heard Leviathan in 04 and it blew me away.

It sounded like Nirvana covering Metallica.

Wha???
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: October 19, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
That's what it sounded like to me back in 04.

I think it was the song Island mainly.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #772 on: October 19, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
Seabeast and, to a much lesser extent, Naked Burn vaguely reminded me of early Foo Fighters vocals. I guess it was partly due to how unexpected clean vocals were on the heels of Remission.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #773 on: October 19, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
I still think Dave Grohl is on "Blasteroid" from The Hunter.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #774 on: October 19, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
I got in to Mastodon through Leviathan on a whim.  At the time the band names I was tossing around for the current project I was working on were Mastodon, Leviathan and Whale.  So I'm at the record store and I see this new CD on display called Leviathan, by a band called Mastodon with a whale on the cover.  I figured since these guys apparently had access to inside my head that I'd better check them out.  They did not disappoint.  Sometimes the universe just works out like that.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #775 on: October 19, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
A rare case where I can sincerely say "cool story, bro."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #776 on: October 19, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
Twasn't it though?

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #777 on: October 20, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
I think folks just have a hard time getting used to their style because it's not roaring, it's not traditionally "trained" singing where you're adding vibrato to the end of vocal lines, etc., and they don't go for any overt emotional inflection in their delivery either so their style is more like quirky storytelling ala Les Claypool but since the music is so profoundly complex, well-written, and intensely presented it seems to rub some folks the wrong way that the vocals themselves convey a more laid-back approach.

You mean it's not a bug, it's a feature. Randomized vocal lines on each concert to keep things exciting, just like Geoff Tate has done for the last couple of years :lol

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #778 on: October 20, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »

trippy. i swear thats kurt kobain lending his vocal talents to octopus has no friends. im 97% sure its him.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #779 on: October 20, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »

trippy. i swear thats kurt kobain lending his vocal talents to octopus has no friends. im 97% sure its him.

I've always said that too! They call me crazy!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #780 on: December 04, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »
Mastodon is recording a new song for........

....Monsters Inc. 2.....

Yep. Indeed they are. That should be interesting
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/12/mastodon-to-record-song-for-new-monsters-inc-movie.html
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #781 on: December 04, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »
Saw that on Facebook, I shall keep a close eye on this, as it sounds like it has the potential to be fucking amazing.  :)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #782 on: December 04, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »
I think it will.

I like how some people are treating it like it's a joke and the article I linked to seems uncertain  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DT.net Member
« Reply #783 on: December 04, 2012, 10:15:25 AM »
I just hope their next album has more going for it than The Hunter.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #784 on: December 04, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
I just hope their next album has more going for it than The Hunter.
While I adore The Hunter, I hope they go for something a little more hard hitting as well.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #785 on: December 04, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
The Hunter is great if you just cut out the middle chunk (Octopus to Thickening). Those songs either never fully clicked with me or ended up not doing well with age. The other 8 tracks however are awesome as fuck and are among my favourites.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
Octopus, The Hunter, and Dry Bone Valley are great.  Thickening is really bland though. 

Monster University is going to be the most metal movie ever.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #787 on: December 04, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »
To be honest, I don't understand this. It's cool that they will be on this soundtrack. But like, Pixar is owned by Disney now. And Disney is the fucking company that black listed Machine Head from playing on Disney owned property and called the fans "undesirable".

I just think it's weird, is all. I'm sure the song isn't going to be the most violent, brutal thing the band wrote. But like, I just don't get Disney.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #788 on: December 04, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
It's going to be Creature Lives pt.2

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #789 on: December 04, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
Just wanted to drop in and say The Hunter is awesome :yarr....

Online Mladen

« Reply #790 on: December 04, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
The Hunter is damn good, it worked perfectly as my introduction to the world of Mastodon. The only song on it I dislike is Creature lives, and I have to be in a good mood for title track and The Sparrow, but the rest left quite an impression on me. I love their progressive side of its predecessor, but I find the more accessible aspect of their music exciting as well.  :smiley:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: December 05, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
What's wrong with Creature Lives ?

It's one of my favourite songs on the whole album...

The Hunter is an awesome album !!!!

I hope we get a new album in 2013

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #792 on: December 05, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
I agree, Creature Lives is awesome. Sure it is an odd song, but that is what makes it great. It's good to see a band go outside of their comfort zone and write something that is "out there" from their standard material.

Online Mladen

« Reply #793 on: December 06, 2012, 12:55:28 AM »
It's probably that a major key in a Mastodon song sounds just too weird. It's like a power metal band all of a sudden. But what's just how I hear it.  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: December 07, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
Blasteroid is pretty happy sounding too.

I love Creature Lives. Its what Flaming Lips have the potential to sound like - except they're...well....dreadful.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: December 07, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »

I love Creature Lives. Its what Flaming Lips have the potential to sound like - except they're...well....dreadful.

Wut

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #796 on: December 07, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »
It's probably that a major key in a Mastodon song sounds just too weird. It's like a power metal band all of a sudden. But what's just how I hear it.  ;D

The major keys on many of the songs on the album is one of the main reasons why I'm not too crazy about it.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #797 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
The lack of intensity or any memorable moments is what let me down. Remission and Leviathan were stacked with signature moments and sections. Blood Mountain was a sharp dropoff but Colony and Mortal still redeemed it at least a little. Crack the Skye was very hard for me to get into but succeeded in what it set out to do once it clicked. The Hunter just seems like they either creatively exhausted themselves on CtS or maybe they wanted to get back toward doing their traditional brand of metal but tried to not risk alienating the the newbs who signed on with CtS and may not like the older 'don sound and, in the end, that just compromised any possibility of them being able to faithfully deliver their early sound.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #798 on: December 07, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
The Hunter is Mastodon's Black Album.  Except that it's good.  It took me a long time to realize that, but The Hunter is chock full of good songs.  My real problem with the album is it lacks any/many standout songs that stand with their other bests.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #799 on: December 07, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »
Sorry but there is nothing on The Hunter that is even in the same universe as The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters, and My Friend of Misery.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #800 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »
Sorry but there is nothing on The Hunter that is even in the same universe as The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters, and My Friend of Misery.

I'm a fan of both bands but I prefer The Hunter to TBA for sure. TBA although good is not as interesting to me in the same way The Hunter isn't aggressive enough for you.

Having said that, even though I think The Hunter is awesome, I don't have a problem with them moving back to their more aggressive sound like in some of their earlier works or at least more progressive work like in CtS. I think the band still has plenty of room to grow and mix their more aggressive work with the experimental (CtS) and even the more catchy stuff on The Hunter.

The key to their awesomeness for me is if they can continue to mix it up and don't focus on just one of these styles for too long just for the sake of whats expected of them.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #801 on: December 07, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »
That may be true, but the rest of the album is glorified filler (sans Sandman), something that can be said about (maybe) one song from The Hunter.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #802 on: December 07, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »
I've listened to The Hunter at least 6 or 7 full spins by now and not even one song has me going back for seconds though and I'm far from alone in this. I've had it come up in conversation with other friends of mine who are into Mastodon and they felt the same. As much as I was let down with Blood Mountain and remain unimpressed with it, at least there were a couple songs to latch onto for me. I just have nothing to work with for The Hunter. I thought it might be Curl of the Burl or Dry Bone Valley but they plateaued in a hurry and now when I try giving it a spin I keep zoning out after the first 5 or 6 tracks and usually only remember I was listening to an album once the room goes silent when it ends.

It's a damn bummer too because I really don't wanna hate this album because I loved Mastodon for Remission and Leviathan and think they're just a really likeable group of people in general. Hopefully something will change.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #803 on: December 08, 2012, 01:23:18 AM »
Crack The Skye and Blood Mountain are my two favorites. Leviathan at third, The Hunter at fourth and Remission at last although they're all killer albums.
The Hunter is great, but for me it feels a bit short.

Online Mladen

« Reply #804 on: December 08, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
Ooh, good point, it's also in the major key. I guess what appeals to me about that track is its snappiness, you just start rocking out and it's already over. And the happier verses are counterbalanced by some tasteful yet aggressive screams.  :metal