Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 267574 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2590 on: August 08, 2023, 10:45:01 AM »
Anyone caught Mastodon and Gojira on the current tour? They're playing near me in a few weeks, but logistically it will be tricky for me to get there on time. I want to make it work.
Seeing them this coming Saturday. This would be my 5th(maybe 6th?) time seeing them and they do not disappoint.

Though if I'm being honest, I'm more excited for Gojira since I've never seen them live.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2591 on: August 08, 2023, 11:28:29 AM »
I saw the tour earlier this year. It's really good. I had never seen Gojira. I am glad I did. Not sure I need to see them again, but I see why people love them. Mastodon's set was great.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2592 on: August 08, 2023, 11:39:19 AM »
Had to miss the Richmond show a few months ago, unfortunately. Randy Blythe from Lamb of God came out and did a song with Gojira, and later Joe from Gojira did the bridge to Blood and Thunder.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2593 on: August 08, 2023, 11:42:22 AM »
I think I'm just going to buy a ticket and make it work. Show is on a Sunday night. I'll be camping with the family that weekend about 3 hours from home. So I just need to leave early enough to get home, drop off the family and unload the car, then drive 45 minutes to the show by 7:00. Should be possible if I plan.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2594 on: August 13, 2023, 03:58:41 PM »
I think I'm just going to buy a ticket and make it work. Show is on a Sunday night. I'll be camping with the family that weekend about 3 hours from home. So I just need to leave early enough to get home, drop off the family and unload the car, then drive 45 minutes to the show by 7:00. Should be possible if I plan.
Killer show yesterday, so highly recommend it. Hope you can make it work. The setlist was pretty good (for my taste at least), just a good mixed of songs, which included one that I was not expecting  :metal :metal

Gojira was good as well, but I thought their sound mix could've been better, the bass was overpowering other instruments. Also their setlist started out really strong, but kind of ended on a not-so-strong note, but still enjoyable set  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: August 13, 2023, 07:01:50 PM »
Just looking through the recent set and it's an incredible looking set of songs.  The amount of old stuff is super surprising.  I wonder if that's possibly an indication of some heavier stuff with the next album?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2596 on: August 13, 2023, 09:42:34 PM »
I did pick up a ticket. It's at an outdoor venue so hopefully the rain stays away. Feels like it's been raining every day here lately.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2597 on: August 14, 2023, 12:53:51 PM »
Just looking through the recent set and it's an incredible looking set of songs.  The amount of old stuff is super surprising.  I wonder if that's possibly an indication of some heavier stuff with the next album?

That setlist is some serious :metal
I´m totally in for some heavier stuff though Hushed & Grim is among my favorite albums.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2598 on: August 14, 2023, 01:17:14 PM »
They’re playing lots of Blood Mountain right? That’s the dream.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: August 14, 2023, 01:17:20 PM »

It may have to do with Mastodon performing between Gojira and Lorna Shore.  They probably chose a set list that fans of those bands may be more interested in.

Killer show yesterday, so highly recommend it. Hope you can make it work. The setlist was pretty good (for my taste at least), just a good mixed of songs, which included one that I was not expecting  :metal :metal

Gojira was good as well, but I thought their sound mix could've been better, the bass was overpowering other instruments. Also their setlist started out really strong, but kind of ended on a not-so-strong note, but still enjoyable set  :metal

I wish I was able to go to the show last Saturday

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2600 on: August 17, 2023, 08:31:50 AM »

It may have to do with Mastodon performing between Gojira and Lorna Shore.  They probably chose a set list that fans of those bands may be more interested in.

That was my thought as well. Personally, I love the direction Mastodon has gone in. I love Blood Mountain as a record. But Hushed and Grim and Crack the Skye are the pinnacles for me personally in their catalog. Can be heavy as hell, but they use mood so, so well. I knew I wouldn't get a ton of moody stuff this time around given who they were playing with. But I hope on future tours they still play a good chunk of Hushed and Grim. They didn't play near me on that tour, and I was so disappointed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online nick_z

« Reply #2601 on: August 18, 2023, 10:57:50 AM »

That was my thought as well. Personally, I love the direction Mastodon has gone in. I love Blood Mountain as a record. But Hushed and Grim and Crack the Skye are the pinnacles for me personally in their catalog. Can be heavy as hell, but they use mood so, so well. I knew I wouldn't get a ton of moody stuff this time around given who they were playing with. But I hope on future tours they still play a good chunk of Hushed and Grim. They didn't play near me on that tour, and I was so disappointed.

Agree with a lot of this - Crack the Skye is my favorite Mastodon, and Hushed and Grim was such a pleasant surprise. Not that I dislike any Mastodon record, but neither Once More nor Emperor of Sand truly hit me the way others did and, as you say, H&G managed to deliver many of those "emotional" moments that I felt were missing in their recent output. The "mood" amidst the heavy, precisely.

That said, if I look at the whole discography, I would still probably rank Leviathan and Blood Mountain right after Crack the Skye. But H&G is not too far behind, and I certainly didn't expect that when it came out.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2602 on: August 21, 2023, 12:23:09 PM »
Gojira was good as well, but I thought their sound mix could've been better, the bass was overpowering other instruments.

It was the opposite for me at the Boston show last night. Gojira's sound was great but Mastodon's was terrible. The drums and guitars were super muddy. And I have no idea what their touring keyboardist was even doing on 90% of the songs. :lol

Setlist spoiler: Very happy they busted out March Of The Fire Ants, that kicked ass. :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2603 on: August 28, 2023, 07:22:37 AM »
Saw the show in Minnesota last night. Not my ideal setlist from Madtodon, but I get they were going for heavier for this tour. Would have loved to hear more from Hushed and Grim which I think is a pretty brilliant album. I'll echo was someone else said about Mastodon's sound not being as good as Gojira's. I thought their screensaver projections weren't great either. I preferred Gojira's light and video shows by a long shot. I love Mastodon a lot, but unfortunately I don't think they're a great live band. They're pretty tight instrumentally, but vocally I think they've got some work to do. Troy is pretty spot on. Brent is kind of a mess, particularly on the clean vocals. Brann is decent and I'll cut him some slack since he's playing the drums. Still a lot of fun to see them play though. I wish I were more into Gojira. They're one of those bands that I want to like more than I actually like. They put on a good show though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: August 29, 2023, 05:21:00 AM »
I'm seeing this show this week. I'm really looking forward to it!

I notice y'all aren't talking much about Lorna Shore. Did any of you watch their set, how was it? I'm tempted to skip it...deathcore isn't my bag, really. The young crowd seems to think it's super-keen that the vocalist can make a giant bullfrog sound--they call it brooootal! I actually laughed myself sick when I heard it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2605 on: August 29, 2023, 05:59:09 AM »

I notice y'all aren't talking much about Lorna Shore. Did any of you watch their set, how was it? I'm tempted to skip it...deathcore isn't my bag, really. The young crowd seems to think it's super-keen that the vocalist can make a giant bullfrog sound--they call it brooootal! I actually laughed myself sick when I heard it.
They're not really my thing. I saw the set and was ready for it to be over after the second song.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2606 on: August 29, 2023, 06:10:45 AM »
I saw Mastodon on their tour in Europe last year but the sound wasn't all that great.

I suspected them of just using the in-house mix engineer because every time Brent Hinds had a solo, it was only audible after 5-10 seconds. It was like this guy didn't know the music at all. Also, zero reverb or delay on the vocals, really weird. Stage-wise, they only had a backdrop and for the rest they used the house lights. Which is understandable as it's overseas for them, but still. It felt a bit dry all in all.

Gojira on the other hand, always have amazing sound live.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2607 on: August 30, 2023, 07:17:41 AM »

They're not really my thing. I saw the set and was ready for it to be over after the second song.
I got there about halfway through Lorna Shore. Not my thing musically at all. They had good energy and crowd seemed to be into it though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: September 02, 2023, 07:54:34 AM »
Saw the show last night, and I loved it! The set list was unrelenting though. My son (who isn't as familiar with Mastodon as I am) got a bit fatigued about 2/3rds through their set. I wouldn't have minded it if they would have thrown in a few mid strength songs too. Steambreather was about as tame as it got.  :lol  Their stage show wasn't bad but wasn't up to par with the other times I've seen them. Troy and Brent sang great. Bran struggled a bit, but that's to be expected when he's basically doing rapid fills for an hour and a half.

Gojira was fantastic and easily had a better stage presentation and crowd engagement. I really like how they don't have a manufactured heavy image, the music does the talking. I mean, these guys look like upper-middle-class 30 somethings that you would bump into at the grocery store. No piercings, no tattoos, no weird clothes, just heavy rock with lights, screen images, and pyrotechnics that really fit the song they were playing at the time. I'm a fan!

The concert wasn't well attended either. There were half as many people there as for Ghost just a few weeks earlier. That surprised me. So did the amount of people who left after Lorna Shore, and then again after Gojira. I'd guess the audience thinned by 500 - 1000 people by the time Mastodon started playing. Strange for a Friday night, I thought.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2609 on: September 03, 2023, 08:14:06 AM »
I got the sense at the MN show that the majority was there to see Gojira (who played last) and there was a not insignificant number of people there only to see Lorna Shore. The people nest to me left after their set was done.