Author Topic: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!  (Read 267469 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mastodon Thread v. Emperor of Sand!
« Reply #2135 on: January 15, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
" OMRTS and EOS are pretty much on equal footing for me. They're both decent. Kinda Mastodon by the numbers. Some real highlights, some songs that are completely unremarkable.

That said, OMRTS gets a couple points for 1) having Halloween and 2) not having Show Yourself :lol "

The video for Show Yourself is brilliant though!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2136 on: January 15, 2021, 10:50:51 AM »
EOS doesn’t have Diamond in the Witch House though 👍

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2137 on: January 15, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »
Now that I think about it more, I think the biggest issue with EOS is that it kinda has a bit of an identity crisis. It's trying to cover every element of Mastodon's sound throughout their entire career, but it's not doing any of them super well.

It has catchy, more accessible songs like Show Yourself and Precious Stones, but they aren't as catchy as The Hunter or OMRTS.

It has heavier songs like Andromeda, but compared to the stuff on their first two albums (or even Blood Mountain) they might as well be ballads.

Jaguar God is clearly a Crack The Skye throwback, but does it hold a candle to any of the best songs on that album? Definitely not.

I'm hoping for their next album they commit more to a particular direction and make something that feels a bit less generic for their standards. Cold Dark Place was a good step in that direction, though I feel like that may have just been a one-off.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: January 15, 2021, 12:04:40 PM »
EOS doesn’t have Diamond in the Witch House though 👍

That song is very Leviathan ! It's prolly my fave song on Once More...

- Emperor Of Sand was almost entirely written by Bill Kelliher and Brann I believe. I think it might be due to the fact that he was largely absent on The Hunter - going thru treatment for

alcoholism. One of the bands best songs is Ghost Of Karelia - which all 4 guys wrote together. Hopefully the new album is more collaborative.

Also - Karelia does have the albums best moment in :

" Sinister Twin
Choking On Fear
Bonded Iron
Sink To The Core ! "

fucking CHILLS EVERY TIME.

I'm very interested in a David Bottrill produced Mastodon album and I don't expect it sound like Lateralus since that album sounds really cheap and is from twenty years ago

and Mastodon albums usually sound really big - but not muddy or distorted ( luckily they haven't done a Death magnetic ).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2139 on: January 15, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
I have to have a re-listen to CTS but in general:

LEVIATHAN > EOS > OMRTS > TH  > BM > CTS > R

But they have no bad albums. Never been as sold on CTS as everyone else and to be.

I got into them when Leviathan came out and I love how they've evolved. The newer catchy stuff totally floats my boat and Brann's vocals rule.

I've seen them twice and found them a little bit dull both times, oddly.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: January 15, 2021, 01:26:48 PM »
Their great albums are hard to rank but Remission and Once More are my least listened to.

But you're right - each album sounds like the most logical next step from the previous one.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2141 on: January 15, 2021, 01:52:26 PM »
Remission is a pretty shaky album as a whole but I gotta say, the first three tracks are FUCKING. FIRE. :metal :metal :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: January 15, 2021, 01:55:52 PM »
I rate Remission high in the rankings.  Just a crushing, brutal album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2143 on: January 15, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »
I have the remastered anniversary album.

Crusher Destroyer riff is  :metal :metal

Plus it also has Mother Puncher and March Of The Fire Ants.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: January 15, 2021, 03:25:46 PM »
I have the remastered anniversary album.

Crusher Destroyer riff is  :metal :metal

Plus it also has Mother Puncher and March Of The Fire Ants.

I read the remaster didn't really improve the sound at all so I skipped it.  I'll add Burning Man too.

Brann is amazing on this album, he fucking rips all over it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: January 16, 2021, 03:41:51 AM »
Brann is INSANE on *Call Of The Mastodon* EP / Mini Album.

I'd take him over Lombardo any day.

Edit : Ooh yeah - Burning Man with that awesome outro riff. . . When I saw the band headline in London on the Blood Mountain tour - they played a lot of Remission stuff

and all the A - tuned stuff was so thick sounding. Not muddy just like a SLAB. Iron Tusk was incredible . . I saw them support TOOL at Wembley Arena in 2006 and their live sound then

was echoey as hell. Support band woes I guess. I saw Green Day in Wembley Arena in 2009 and yeah they sounded amazing.

I also got to witness Brann lose his place in a song - hold his hands up - and then come back in when he knew where he was.

My bro and I had to leave the second the gig finished to get a train home - but I heard afterwards that the band came out to mingle and chat to people. F-ing typical !  :D :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: January 16, 2021, 06:00:01 AM »
That riff on the outro of Burning Man may be my fav part of the whole album.

Yeah I loved the A tuning too.

If we're talking Call of the Mastodon, Shadows That Move and Hail to Fire, holy hell.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: January 16, 2021, 06:38:23 AM »
Yes and unlike Metallica they didn't go from Remission to The Hunter over the course of one album.

Each album sounds like where the last album was hinting at heading.

Not that I dislike The Black Album or Load of course.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2148 on: February 18, 2021, 05:31:07 AM »
Not new music, but I'll take it  :rollin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C8SJyRo64Is
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline krands85

« Reply #2149 on: May 13, 2021, 06:59:08 AM »
Mastodon - Forged by Neron (Dark Nights: Death Metal Soundtrack)

Mastodon have shared their contribution to the forthcoming soundtrack of DC Comics’ Dark Nights: Death Metal comic book series.

The track, ‘Forged By Neron’, refers to a demon lord of Hell who appears throughout the series. The full soundtrack will be released on June 18 through DC and Loma Vista and also features tracks from Manchester Orchestra, IDLES, Denzel Curry and Soccer Mommy.

“We’ve all been fans of DC Comics and the Batman universe since we were kids,” Mastodon drummer Brann Dailor said in a statement. “It really means a lot for us to be able to add something to that world.”

Composer Tyler Bates, who acted as the soundtrack’s executive producer, asked the artists to record a song inspired by the comics series.

“This soundtrack and motion-comic series was made by fans of comics, for fans of comics and music,” he said.

“Dark Nights: Death Metal is next-level storytelling by two incredibly talented artists in Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. The visual aspect of this comic is entirely compelling, and resonates throughout each song on the soundtrack.”

In a recent interview, Mastodon said their upcoming eighth record had reached the mixing stage, describing it as the “fullest, biggest-sounding record we’ve done so far”. Enlisting David Bottrill to produce, Mastodon guitarist Bill Kelliher said they needed someone new and “who kind of thinks outside the box” to work on the album.

“He had all kinds of notes written out,” said Kelliher during an interview with Talking Metal. “He had done his homework. He was like, ‘For this song, I have this idea. For this song, I have these ideas.’ He kind of spouted them off to us on the phone.

“That was one of my first questions: ‘How do you deal with if there’s certain people in the band that might be more sensitive than others?’ He’s like, ‘I’ve worked with so and so, and so and so.’ He’s like, ‘I’m just a big fan of your band, and I just wanna make your best record that we set out to make.’ He just had a really good way with words without insulting anybody’s creativeness. He was firm, and we basically tried everything.”
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2150 on: May 13, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
Mastodon - Forged by Neron (Dark Nights: Death Metal Soundtrack)

Mastodon have shared their contribution to the forthcoming soundtrack of DC Comics’ Dark Nights: Death Metal comic book series.

The track, ‘Forged By Neron’, refers to a demon lord of Hell who appears throughout the series. The full soundtrack will be released on June 18 through DC and Loma Vista and also features tracks from Manchester Orchestra, IDLES, Denzel Curry and Soccer Mommy.

“We’ve all been fans of DC Comics and the Batman universe since we were kids,” Mastodon drummer Brann Dailor said in a statement. “It really means a lot for us to be able to add something to that world.”

Composer Tyler Bates, who acted as the soundtrack’s executive producer, asked the artists to record a song inspired by the comics series.

“This soundtrack and motion-comic series was made by fans of comics, for fans of comics and music,” he said.

“Dark Nights: Death Metal is next-level storytelling by two incredibly talented artists in Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. The visual aspect of this comic is entirely compelling, and resonates throughout each song on the soundtrack.”

In a recent interview, Mastodon said their upcoming eighth record had reached the mixing stage, describing it as the “fullest, biggest-sounding record we’ve done so far”. Enlisting David Bottrill to produce, Mastodon guitarist Bill Kelliher said they needed someone new and “who kind of thinks outside the box” to work on the album.

“He had all kinds of notes written out,” said Kelliher during an interview with Talking Metal. “He had done his homework. He was like, ‘For this song, I have this idea. For this song, I have these ideas.’ He kind of spouted them off to us on the phone.

“That was one of my first questions: ‘How do you deal with if there’s certain people in the band that might be more sensitive than others?’ He’s like, ‘I’ve worked with so and so, and so and so.’ He’s like, ‘I’m just a big fan of your band, and I just wanna make your best record that we set out to make.’ He just had a really good way with words without insulting anybody’s creativeness. He was firm, and we basically tried everything.”
Decent song, but nothing spectacular in my mind. Always nice to hear something new from Mastodon though.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2151 on: May 13, 2021, 01:48:27 PM »
Yep. Song by was decent.

Can't wait for new album. These guys are the business.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2152 on: September 07, 2021, 10:37:48 AM »
Bump. Couldn't find another specific thread for Mastodon, but it seems that they'll release a new album soon: "Hushed and Grim", apparently at the same day as AVFTTOTW, or a week later.

https://elusivedisc.com/mastodon-hushed-and-grim-2lp/

https://mgrecords.hu/en/node/216690

they are revealing pieces of the artwork in their social media profiles.

Side A:
Pain with an Anchor
The Crux
Sickle and Peace
More Than I Could Chew

Side B:
The Beast
Skeleton of Splendor
Teardrinker
Pushing the Tides

Side C:
Peace and Tranquility
Dagger
Had It All
Savage Lands

Side D:
Gobblers of Dregs
Eyes of Serpents
Gigantium

Posted on another thread, so adding to this one.

I am excited about this. They were supposed to release this album last year and well, we all know what happened.  :metal

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2153 on: September 07, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »
Thanks, Vmadera00!

I'm very hyped for this release!!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2154 on: September 07, 2021, 12:30:46 PM »
So release date of 22.10? Pumped is an understatement!

I'm off to check out the album art, as that is always a highlight of any Mastodon release.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2155 on: September 07, 2021, 01:43:46 PM »
With a new Mastodon album coming out, I guess I should get around to their three most recent albums, then!

To give my thoughts on the albums I am familiar with thus far: Remission is my favorite Mastodon album so far. Leviathan has a couple awesome tracks, but overall, while it's definitely good, I wouldn't call it great. Blood Mountain is really good, and has a lot of great tracks. Crack the Skye is really good except for The Last Baron, which is still good, but I rarely find myself finishing it (the same can be said about Hearts Alive from Leviathan as well).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2156 on: September 07, 2021, 01:48:24 PM »
Wahey! Great year for new music.

Found this article about the producer and this album:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/is-this-the-cover-artwork-of-the-new-mastodon-album/

Offline emtee

« Reply #2157 on: September 07, 2021, 01:53:59 PM »
I'm in! Very consistent band.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2158 on: September 07, 2021, 01:59:28 PM »
With a new Mastodon album coming out, I guess I should get around to their three most recent albums, then!

To give my thoughts on the albums I am familiar with thus far: Remission is my favorite Mastodon album so far. Leviathan has a couple awesome tracks, but overall, while it's definitely good, I wouldn't call it great. Blood Mountain is really good, and has a lot of great tracks. Crack the Skye is really good except for The Last Baron, which is still good, but I rarely find myself finishing it (the same can be said about Hearts Alive from Leviathan as well).

Some hot takes there my friend. Remission is a great album but ranks much lower for me, just because most of their others are masterpieces. The Last Baron and Hearts Alive are frigging amazing, easily among their best all time tracks for me. Out of the three most recent, Emperor of Sand is the best for me, by quite a way, so you'll probably really dislike it  :lol

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2159 on: September 07, 2021, 02:10:53 PM »

Some hot takes there my friend. Remission is a great album but ranks much lower for me, just because most of their others are masterpieces. The Last Baron and Hearts Alive are frigging amazing, easily among their best all time tracks for me. Out of the three most recent, Emperor of Sand is the best for me, by quite a way, so you'll probably really dislike it  :lol

I would say that I think Mastodon is just better with shorter songs than really long songs, but The Czar might just be the best song I've heard from them. Also, I really liked the songs I heard from Emperor of Sand that were sent in my roulette, so I think I'll probably enjoy the whole album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: September 07, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
Wasn't a big fan of EOS so I'm hoping this new one changes that.  Always been more of a fan of their earlier heavier stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: September 07, 2021, 04:33:52 PM »
The new album cover has serious Leviathan vibes. Looks like they've gone a bit old school like the Relapse days.

I did wonder if they'd got the same producer back - but it's David Botrill who made Lateralus.

Wasn't a big fan of EOS so I'm hoping this new one changes that.  Always been more of a fan of their earlier heavier stuff.

I see this a lot and to me it was a masterpiece. As if Crack The Skye and Blood Mountain had a baby.

Once More Round The Sun was the weak album imo.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2162 on: September 07, 2021, 06:44:04 PM »
I'm excited for this. The new cover looks awesome.  :tup

I also find it interesting that there are apparently 15 songs on the album. Do we know if any of those are bonus tracks? If none are, it's very likely that this will be their longest album to date.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2163 on: September 07, 2021, 11:32:56 PM »
I loved EOS. Oddly, the only albums of theirs I really never listen to are Remission and Crack The Skye but not for any reason I can put my finger on.

I can't say they've done a record I was disappointed with at this point. Can't wait for the new one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: September 07, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »
The new album cover has serious Leviathan vibes. Looks like they've gone a bit old school like the Relapse days.

I did wonder if they'd got the same producer back - but it's David Botrill who made Lateralus.

I see this a lot and to me it was a masterpiece. As if Crack The Skye and Blood Mountain had a baby.

Once More Round The Sun was the weak album imo.

I have opposite thoughts on CTS and OMRTS, but we've been through that a few times now. 

Just a great band, and across their catalog they have plenty of stuff to appeal to a very broad range of tastes.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2165 on: September 08, 2021, 06:44:17 AM »
What do you all think about the song "Sleeping Giant"?

It's the song that got me into them, and it's still one of my favorite by the band, but I don't usually hear that song being discussed when talking about Mastodon. Just wondering if I am one of the few who loves the song, or if it is generally well received.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2166 on: September 08, 2021, 09:09:51 AM »
What do you all think about the song "Sleeping Giant"?

It's the song that got me into them, and it's still one of my favorite by the band, but I don't usually hear that song being discussed when talking about Mastodon. Just wondering if I am one of the few who loves the song, or if it is generally well received.

I love it. Is it a song that pops into my head when I think about my favourite songs?....no. Is it in my top 20 Mastodon songs?...also no.

It is a great song though, and I would say underrated on the whole.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2167 on: September 08, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »
Great song, weak ending.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2168 on: September 08, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »
Sleeping Giant is my fav from BM. Excellent song

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2169 on: September 09, 2021, 07:27:01 AM »
We get something tomorrow I guess. Can't wait  :corn