Author Topic: Candiria  (Read 857 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Candiria
« on: May 23, 2011, 03:34:14 AM »
I found this band a long time ago while going through a hardcore phase, getting albums of the 1980s-Present day. I learnt a lot about the genre and its sub-genres it had spawned along the years. I ended up checking out many great bands and Candiria was one of em. I haven't heard them in a while but they're thread-worthy to me anyway, so.. I'll kick off the thread with this PM sent to me.

hey SPNKr, continuing from our Candiria chat in the 1997 Retrospective thread, i just wanted to say that you gotta check out 300% Density. i would say it's stylistically very similar to TPOSD and maybe even takes what they did on TPOSD one step further (or was at least a logical next step).

then again, i might place these albums "together" (as an era or something) partially because i bought them at the same time right when i first got into the band (seeing em live, having never heard em before, and buying both albums at their merch table). 

Okay I'll get to it this week!
---

What is this band like? Well they're a blend of metalcore, jazz fusion, urban hip hop (whatever), tribal, alternative metal, the list goes on. Very avant-garde actually.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: Candiria
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
hehe. no one wants to respond - i think kenneth schalk turned off a lot of the dream theater fans and forum members back in the .net forum days when he bad mouthed mike a little bit and challenged him to a "drum-off". and now they've kinda been off the grid for so long, most young'ns are probly clueless who this band is (though not SPNKr  :tup).

i'm spinning the process of self development right now...another thing about my TPOSD/300%D comparison - i think much of coma's screaming vox became far less cringe-worthy on 300% Density; might have a lot to do with why i liked 300% more.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 05:44:42 AM »
I listened to TPOSD yesterday, definitely better than I ever thought of it. I still prefer BRD though, and I have their first album ready to hear tomorrow. I also listened to 300PD and I like it too. But yeah man, of course I know Candiria :tup

They haven't made any "crap" really, unique band for sure even though half of their riffs sound the same and the singer spits out the lyrics in syncopation with the riffs. Never heard that before I think.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »
actually, not only is that syncopation style one of the trippier approaches to the vox, but i think he mostly does them pretty well.

i'm thinking i wish they woulda kept going in the same vein as what doesn't kill you... in the years after WDKY... (rather than, you know, going essentially defunct). they could totally pull off adding in that more commercial and clean aspect to the band. plus WDKY gave me some tunes i can add to a party or poker game playlist.