Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 105721 times)

Offline Cable

Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #385 on: September 23, 2012, 01:02:07 PM »
Same here (but not their headlining tour; I saw them supporting DT last year).  And, yes, they do in fact dominate live.

This is really what got me into them. Overwhelmingly, I cannot get into a musician/band I have not heard based on their live performance. The main reason is I do not know their music, and to me most rock musicians live sound is crap to ideally listen to and enjoy new to me music.

Trivium was no exception to subpar live sound. However, on that DT support leg, they had so much solid energy as band, and put it on that they were enjoying themselves. This really sold me on giving some of their songs and albums a shot, even though I have gotten away from more straight-forward metal music purchasing and consumption. While I will continue on this path, I truly am glad Trivium played an opening gig with DT, as they won me over.
---

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #386 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:13 AM »
My story is kind of similar.  But I had purchased their newest album before the show and had gotten somewhat familiar with some of the songs on it.  Then when I saw them, it really cemented that they are a pretty good band, even if I'm not generally into metal with screamy vocals for the most part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
Seeing them this Saturday! :metal :metal

I wish they'd play Shogun but I'm not getting my hopes up. :'(
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #388 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
Quick question: does anyone else hear "We are to far gone" in Of All These Yesterdays as "We ought to fuck on"? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #389 on: November 07, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »
No, but it's a lot of fun to pretend he is singing "we are the awesome!" in Watch The World Burn.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: November 07, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »
Seeing them this Saturday! :metal :metal

I wish they'd play Shogun but I'm not getting my hopes up. :'(

I'm jelly.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: November 08, 2012, 05:43:08 AM »
My story is kind of similar.  But I had purchased their newest album before the show and had gotten somewhat familiar with some of the songs on it.  Then when I saw them, it really cemented that they are a pretty good band, even if I'm not generally into metal with screamy vocals for the most part.

I liked " Pull Harder " when it came out but then Crusade & Shogun totally lost me.

I loved In Waves though and think that album is by far their best ( for me ).

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »
So energy! Powah!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: November 09, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
Great shot of the new signature Epiphone Custom :)

Bet it sounds great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: November 09, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »
What kind of look is Matt going for these days?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: November 09, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
I'm fairly certain it's still Hetfield

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: November 10, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »
....Yup.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #397 on: November 10, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
I actually hadn't heard Shogun yet-The Crusade kind of soured me on Trivium-but I am listening to it now on Spotify and WOW, do I regret not hearing this when it came out. Wicked album, and man, is the title track a thing of beauty. Really fucking good album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: November 10, 2012, 02:26:04 PM »
I've tried to enjoy The Crusade & Shogun but bar a couple of numbers - they just don't grab me like Ascendency did or In Waves has.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #399 on: November 11, 2012, 01:58:07 AM »
OH MY GOD that was a wicked concert. My ears are still ringing and my neck is still stiff!

There were four bands that played yesterday evening, two opening acts and two main bands. The first opening acts were Upon a Burning Body, and while I would probably not go out of my way to listen to them, they were a very enjoyable listen and they really got the crowd pumped up for what was to come. I wasn't in the pit yet, because I was saving my strength, so to speak, but the facts that the first opening act had pits going on from the first second of their first song spoke volumes both on how good they were and how pumped up the crowd was.

The second band was Caliban and they were even more impressive. Like Upon a Burning Body, they played what would probably be called metalcore, but they played a more melodic brand of it and I liked the singer better. They also played a cover of Rammstein's Sonne, which was pretty cool because it had everyone singing along at the tops of their voices. They left the stage and I was really pumped up for the main acts.

About half an hour later, As I Lay Dying came onto the stage and man, they were a disappointment. The sound was horrendous for them, with bass and lead guitar completely drowning in rhythm guitar and drums, so the guitar solos were only seen, not heard. Plus, they played far longer than the opening acts (kinda understandable) and they really overstayed their welcome, as I saw it, because it just sounded as though they were playing the same song for fifty minutes! If there weren't breaks between them, I would honestly have had trouble to distinguish them and after a while, that just got boring. Sure, they were a tight performance, but didn't have much to offer, other than that. I think I would have liked the opening acts less than I did if they played as long as As I Lay Dying did, actually, but because they had to limit themselves to five songs and something around thirty minutes, they never really got boring.

And then, around 11pm, Trivium took the stage, opening with Capsizing the Sea. I didn't really like that track on the album that much, but it must have been one of the most chill-inducing openers that I have ever heard. It segued directly into In Waves, and the crowd went fucking nuts. Everyone was jumping around, banging their heads and singing their voices out.

After that, Trivium followed with Like Light to Flies and Rain and the crowd went even more nuts. There were at least two or three moshpits going on during every song and it was probably the most intense concert experience I have had at this point. They followed up with one of my favourite, Down From the Sky and then Entrance of the Conflagration, which, while I didn't like The Crusade that much, certainly absolutely slayed live. They built in a break in the middle and had the crowd divide themselves, and when they came back in, everyone just went nuts. I've got a few bruises, but it was fucking worth it.

After that, two more tracks ideal for singing along followed: Black and Watch the World Burn, both some of my favourite off of In Waves. Especially Black was a highlight of the evening, with the deafening screams of "Black!" easily being the best crowd participation of the evening.

The next block featured two songs that I am not too keen on (A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation and Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr), separated by the last In Waves-track of the evening, Built to Fall. Sure, they were fun, but there are other tracks that I would have liked to see in their place, like Dusk Dismantled or Into the Mouth of Hell We March, which were both dropped from the setlist before the beginning of the German tour. Still, they got the crowd going, so I won't complain.

The final two songs, Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis and Throes of Perdition were probably the all-around highlight for me that evening. Especially Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis really won me over, despite me liking most tracks on Shogun more. The bass solo in the middle part was great, because it was the only time of the evening where Paolo really shone on his instrument. Throes of Perdition was a worthy closer of the evening, with the intro being a perfect tension build-up that everyone let loose when the distorted guitars came in.

All in all, it was an amazing experience, with As I Lay Dying being my only gripe - I would rather have Trivium played two hours instead, because really, everything sounded the same and Trivium could have easily played another hour of material that I would have rather heard than As I Lay Dying.

Setlist Trivium:

0. Capsizing the Sea (tape intro)
1. In Waves
2. Like Light to Flies
3. Rain
4. Down from the Sky
5. Entrance of the Conflagration
6. Black
7. Watch the World Burn
8. A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation
9. Built to Fall
10. Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr
11. Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis
12. Throes of Perdition

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #400 on: November 15, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
Oh, wow.  They didn't play Caustic?  I thought that would continue to be a mainstay for this tour. 

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #401 on: November 15, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
That's too bad, when I saw AILD live they were fantastic, probably prefer them to Trivium and definitely more consistent.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: March 02, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
They've finished recording Album #6!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=186930

And it's being produced by....David Draiman, the singer of Disturbed. Huh. Ok.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: March 03, 2013, 03:34:29 AM »
Fuck, this shit should be out around August, that's exactly two years since In Waves, nice work.  But......Draiman produces albums now.  WTF?  The production on In Waves was good, there was no need to change really IMO.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #404 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:06 AM »
Exactly my thoughts, Kade.

The description that it's going to sound like "the best of the previous five albums rolled in one" has me mildly intrigued, but I have long since learned to not really trust artists upon describing the quality of their own work, so we'll see.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: March 03, 2013, 03:46:25 AM »
Yeah, I mean what they said about In Waves I remember didn't really represent the album IMO, but can't wait to see what they come up. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »
As long as it sounds like a progression from In Waves and not a retreat.

In Waves was kinda like their " Black Album " and not just because it was their fifth album.

Heafy said that they'd never do their " Load & Reload ". They'll probably do what Metallica should have done & take The Black

Album and expand on it instead of a huge left turn.

I asked Paolo what it sounded like and he said " Hard to say - it doesn't sound like any of our previous albums. "

Which is interesting.

And yeah the production on In Waves was stellar.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Should be very interesting then.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #408 on: March 04, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »
They should tour with Dream Theater.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: March 04, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »
Oh god yes please. And come to Germany, while they're at it. DT and Trivium would be the ultimate concert experience.

Offline drummerThatShreds87

• Paradiddles...
« Reply #410 on: March 04, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »
interested to hear how David Draiman affected their music, if at all. weird combo IMO.
"We stand, until night, we rise until day, bringeth the light until the night" -Empath

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #411 on: March 05, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »
interested to hear how David Draiman affected their music, if at all. weird combo IMO.

I was thinking this as well... I guess we shall see

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
Someone has seen Star Trek Into Darkness  :lol

V E N G E A N C E       F A L L S    :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: May 28, 2013, 03:37:39 AM »
Seriously can't wait for this.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:44:45 AM by wolfking »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #415 on: May 28, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »
I really only got into this band because of Gadough.  After kind of liking them, he snubbed me, so I'm not going to listen to them anymore.  The memories are too painful.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
https://trivium.fm

Vengeance Falls seems to be confirmed.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »
They are coming to NM once again, I've seen these guys like 12 times all unintentional with other bands. They're great live, but for some reason can't get into it outside of live. Probably because I've seen them a lot and never really cared that much...

It's a headline with Devildriver, After The Burial, and Sylosis in the fall
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2013, 02:54:25 PM »
They're not even touching Florida which pisses me off considering that's where they're fucking from...
And I really really really wanted to see Sylosis  ;D