Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103856 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #980 on: November 01, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »
His baritone at the beginning of Abattoir sounds like Corey Taylor.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: November 01, 2021, 03:12:05 PM »
A Crisis of Revelation sounds exactly like Ascendancy. Interesting that they can just sound like that if they want to.

Imagine if you heard Ascendancy in 2005 then that song and nothing in between. Youd be like :lolpalm: omg 15 years and they sound EXACTLY THE SAME.

Matt's harsh voice now is much more listenable and less screechy.

I'll agree with this.  That song could fit anywhere on Ascendancy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #982 on: November 04, 2021, 01:02:46 PM »
Serious question:  Does anyone know where the Court of the Dragon is?  I would really like to know my worth, but it seems like the only way is to be in the Court of the Dragon.  Can anyone help me out here?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: November 04, 2021, 01:05:25 PM »
I know exactly where it is...

IN WAAAAAAAAAVES.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #984 on: November 04, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
That...actually isn't surprising.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: November 04, 2021, 01:16:56 PM »
Gotta say I thought Trivium were a joke after The Crusade. Just another overly-styled poser metalcore band who did screams instead of singing.

Then I heard the song In Waves and i was like Oh hang on...

Then I heard the album and I was like " omg yes ".

Been a fan ever since.

They were quite full of themselves in the Ascendancy / Crusade days. But Now I love how self-deprecating and down to earth they all are.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: November 04, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »
Serious question:  Does anyone know where the Court of the Dragon is?  I would really like to know my worth, but it seems like the only way is to be in the Court of the Dragon.  Can anyone help me out here?

I haven't studied the lyrics but from what I can hear, Matt seems to be into Jujitsu or some form of martial arts lately.  I think the deeper meaning of the song is related to that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #987 on: November 04, 2021, 01:24:22 PM »
@Kowtow:  I don't think I had even heard of them prior to DT announcing them opening on the ADTOE tour.  I had front balcony tickets and had a great time listening to the band for the first time and watching the pit below me.  It was enough to get me to buy In Waves.  And while I wouldn't describe myself as being any more than a "casual fan," I definitely appreciate what they do.  And Heafy has a great business/marketing mind, and does a LOT for the fans, which I also appreciate.

I haven't studied the lyrics but from what I can hear, Matt seems to be into Jujitsu or some form of martial arts lately.  I think the deeper meaning of the song is related to that.

I haven't studied the lyrics either, so I don't know if it is related to martial arts, but it would make sense.  But yeah, he is WAY into Brazilian Jujitsu and talks about it a lot.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: November 04, 2021, 01:26:13 PM »
I first heard Pull Harder on the strings of your Martyr in 2005.

EDIT : Paolo writes a lot of their lyrics and sometimes it's about Japanese myths / cultures etc.

So it's not all Matt doing the lyrics.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: November 04, 2021, 01:33:42 PM »
Quote from: ThatThereIntrawebz
In the Court of the Dragon is based on a short story from the book The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers.

The play portrayed involves mystery for those who follow The King in Yellow and the Dragon of the tale.

I'm not usually a fan of their songs which are just screaming and with not a lot of melody in the guitars but i f-ing LOVE "Chaos Reigns"...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #990 on: November 04, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »
EDIT : Paolo writes a lot of their lyrics

Didn't realize that.  Because of how active Matt seems to be in writing (and other aspects of the band), I assumed that the vast majority of lyrics would be his.  Thanks for the correction on that.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #991 on: November 04, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »

Didn't realize that.  Because of how active Matt seems to be in writing (and other aspects of the band), I assumed that the vast majority of lyrics would be his.  Thanks for the correction on that.

Apparently Paolo wrote almost all the music and lyrics for What the Dead Men Say. I think they just ride with whoever has the best ideas at the time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: November 04, 2021, 02:04:37 PM »
Thats how a band SHOULD operate.

Bill Kelliher wrote almost all the music for Emperor of Sand. Crack The Skye was nearly all Brent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: November 04, 2021, 03:31:14 PM »
Quote from: ThatThereIntrawebz
In the Court of the Dragon is based on a short story from the book The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers.

The play portrayed involves mystery for those who follow The King in Yellow and the Dragon of the tale.

I'm not usually a fan of their songs which are just screaming and with not a lot of melody in the guitars but i f-ing LOVE "Chaos Reigns"...

I shouldn't talk about shit I have no idea on.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: November 04, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »

Yeah, I didn't realise that either.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: November 04, 2021, 03:38:56 PM »
Paolo is like the 2nd frontman for the band. He's usually really chatty on twitter etc.

He said the band were very disappointed with Vengeance Falls.

Possibly why they went with Michael "Elvis" Baskette on Silence In The Snow. To get a much more organic feel.

I do like that album a lot. (SITS) Also notable that it was mixed by Josh Wilbur - who would go on to produce mix and engineer their next three albums.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: November 04, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »
Also there may be others - but Matt is one of the few people i've seen who play their signature Epiphones live.

Never seen Slash with an Epiphone on stage once.

I know Gibsons are "better" but you'd think if he's putting his name on them that means he thinks theyre good enough ?

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #997 on: November 14, 2021, 08:07:52 AM »
So, this album is my first real exposure to the band. The only thing I had heard of them was the first 3 seconds of In Waves many years ago before turning it off as I wasn't much into harsh vocals back then  :lol

Anyway, it's a great album! This band is much more melodic than I imagined they would be from the very short and skewed experience I had previously with them. Matt Heafy sounds amazing and the album just flies by when. I'd say my favorite songs right now would be The Shadow of the Abattoir and The Phalanx.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #998 on: November 14, 2021, 08:10:27 AM »
So, this album is my first real exposure to the band. The only thing I had heard of them was the first 3 seconds of In Waves many years ago before turning it off as I wasn't much into harsh vocals back then  :lol

Anyway, it's a great album! This band is much more melodic than I imagined they would be from the very short and skewed experience I had previously with them. Matt Heafy sounds amazing and the album just flies by when. I'd say my favorite songs right now would be The Shadow of the Abattoir and The Phalanx.

Now circle back and hit Sin and the Sentence. I think it has the most accessible vocals in their discography.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: November 14, 2021, 08:21:24 AM »
More accessible than The Silence In The Snow ? Unless that's what you meant.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1000 on: November 14, 2021, 08:23:35 AM »
Cool! I'll check it out. Although nowadays I do enjoy harsh vocals, well depending on the way they sound. But Matt's fall into the ones I like, so I'm sure I would enjoy even the less accessible stuff.

Speaking of which, since I enjoyed the new album I did listen back to In Waves to see how I would feel. Great song! It's crazy how perception changes. What turned me off years ago sounded awesome to me nowadays. If I only had waited at least 20 seconds instead of 3 on my first listen years ago maybe I would have realized that it's quite a melodic song  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: November 14, 2021, 08:25:43 AM »
Try the song "Black" from In Waves ;)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1002 on: November 14, 2021, 08:36:45 AM »
Try the song "Black" from In Waves ;)

I shall!

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1003 on: November 14, 2021, 10:28:54 AM »
More accessible than The Silence In The Snow ? Unless that's what you meant.
I can honestly say that I've listened to Silence in the Snow but a single time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: November 14, 2021, 10:57:17 AM »
Your loss.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1005 on: November 14, 2021, 12:13:41 PM »
A world so cold as the lead single killed that album for me before i even gave it a chance

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: November 14, 2021, 02:26:41 PM »
The first single was The Silence In The Snow AFAIK.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1007 on: November 16, 2021, 11:41:25 PM »
Since we are suggesting songs, I will throw Caustic Are the Ties That Bind, from In Waves.  I'm not sure I would consider it their "best" song, but it covers a lot of ground and kind of showcases a lot of different elements the band does well all in one song.  If someone asked me to pick one that encapsulates who they are, that is the one I would recommend for that reason.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1008 on: November 17, 2021, 06:25:31 AM »
Since we are suggesting songs, I will throw Caustic Are the Ties That Bind, from In Waves.  I'm not sure I would consider it their "best" song, but it covers a lot of ground and kind of showcases a lot of different elements the band does well all in one song.  If someone asked me to pick one that encapsulates who they are, that is the one I would recommend for that reason.
I love Caustic! You're absolutely right that it covers the whole gambit of what Trivium can do. Clean and harsh vocals, a clean instrumental section, lots of harmonies and solos. What's not to like about that track?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: November 17, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
I love Caustic! You're absolutely right that it covers the whole gambit of what Trivium can do. Clean and harsh vocals, a clean instrumental section, lots of harmonies and solos. What's not to like about that track?

ITS GOOD BUT ITS NOT ASCENDANCY LOL

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: November 17, 2021, 01:09:06 PM »

This is a fair call   i love Matt's little melodic solo in this track.  Very tasty.  Always been a favourite Trivium moment.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1011 on: November 18, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »
So I've listen to all suggestions (thank you all by the way) and I quite enjoyed what I heard. I kind of dig the way their music can be pretty heavy, but also catchy if that makes sense. So many of the choruses are just great to sing along to. I'm glad I decided to give them a shot and I'll start diving deeper in their discography for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: November 19, 2021, 03:51:07 AM »
So I've listen to all suggestions (thank you all by the way) and I quite enjoyed what I heard. I kind of dig the way their music can be pretty heavy, but also catchy if that makes sense. So many of the choruses are just great to sing along to. I'm glad I decided to give them a shot and I'll start diving deeper in their discography for sure.

Nice mate.  They are a top band.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1013 on: December 04, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »
I'm sure this is known, but I was watching Food Paradise today and Matt showed up in the Brunch episode from this year. I look up and did a double-take. Like, that's Matt Heafy!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1014 on: May 16, 2022, 12:21:14 PM »
So, I've taken the plunge hard on these guys over the past couple of weeks.  I remember hearing Pull Harder back in the day and thinking it was okay for a -core/scene band, just wasn't my thing.  I laughed hard at the Trivium lyric interpretation videos (anyone remember BOAT! RUDDER! STRANGE MOUNTAIN!  :rollin) and the Betcha can't play this parody (these are still so funny).  I even saw them a couple of times as an opener during the Crusade and Shogun eras.  I remember listening to those 2 albums with friends and thinking they weren't bad but never really clicked with me.  Well...I saw them a couple of weeks back with Megadeth, LOG and In Flames, and I really enjoyed seeing them.  I started going through some of the more recent stuff.  I started with The Sin and the Sentence and In Waves, and I really like those 2.  I hit up the newest one next, and went back to Shogun, as I haven't heard it in so long.  Great stuff as well!  I'll be going through the rest of there stuff over the next couple of weeks, but I can say that I am a fan now.  So far,  I think the Sin and the Sentence is my favorite out of what I have heard, but I still have a good bit to discover and let soak in.