Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103744 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #945 on: October 10, 2021, 04:08:14 AM »
After one listen of the new album, it sounded brilliant.  They definitely went back to an older sound.  I was worried they may have gotten stuck in the style the Sin and the Sentence/Dead Man, but this is great, sounds fresh and brutal.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #946 on: October 10, 2021, 08:33:24 AM »
Shogun - Flawless
Sin - Also flawless, but I give the win to Shogun cause Kirisute Gomen is their best song.
Waves
Dead - Good album, just seems rushed.
Ascend - Lotta great songs, a few duds too though.
Snow - One of the best examples of a metal band going rock.
Vengeance - It's solid. Just not much that grabbed me like the higher ranked albums did.
Ember - Nice showing for a first album.
Crusade - ... Ignition is a good song...

Too soon to rank the new album. But top 4 for sure.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #947 on: October 10, 2021, 09:09:44 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #948 on: October 10, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »
Gave this new one a go. I’d really like it without the vocals.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #949 on: October 10, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
Gave this new one a go. I’d really like it without the vocals.

They're an acquired taste if you're not into screaming or growls. I find Matt Heafy's screaming far more accessible than most in the genre though. In fact, I listen to almost no other non-clean vocal bands. Trivium is without a doubt the exception.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: October 10, 2021, 03:06:04 PM »
Yes the only harsh vocal bands I listen to are Trivium and Mastodon oh and Slipknot - mainly cause Corey is such a great vocalist anyway. And Mastodon is mostly cleans nowadays.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: October 10, 2021, 04:43:48 PM »
Matt's harsh vocals were an important part of liking that vocal style. His growls on those first two albums are incredible.  I know he fucked his voice for a bit, but still.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: October 11, 2021, 04:48:20 AM »
This album fucking rips!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #953 on: October 11, 2021, 05:45:51 AM »
This album fucking rips!

It would with Silence In The Snow vocals.
I love a good riff, and there were plenty of great ones on this one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: October 11, 2021, 07:30:18 AM »
I've still only listened all the way through once. I need to be in the right mood to listen to a full album of this type of Metal.

I'm not actually a metalhead.  ;D I just love *BANDS*.

E.g. I love Metallica but I don't like Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Machine Head.

I love Dream Theater but can't get into RUSH at all. Or bands like Between The Buried & Me or Periphery etc etc.

I love Green Day but don't like Blink 182, Offspring, Alkaline Trio etc etc.

It's about the band and the songs for me.

I couldn't be one of those people that are like " I listen to Metal and nothing else. " It would bore me. :)

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #955 on: October 11, 2021, 07:41:07 AM »
Not liking Alkaline Trio is a travesty if you're at all into pop punk. Go listen to Good Mourning and Crimson. Dark pop punk at its best.

I'm the same with respect to genres. I like bands, but not necessarily a genre. I tried liking Rush, i really tried.

Right now,  i have In the Court of Dragons on repeat.  This album is great stuff.  Early favorite is Crisis of Revelation. The catchy melody of the chorus grabs me every time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: October 11, 2021, 07:42:11 AM »
I think if I was in TriVium - i'd get really annoyed at working really hard on an album

only for pretty much everyone to go

" FUCKIN A!!! It's not Ascendancy though..."

Every f-ing time.

No it isn't. But you know what is ? ASCENDANCY. Go Listen to it. For my money - every album they've done except Crusade and Vengeance has been way better. :dunno:

with In Waves being their masterpiece.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #957 on: October 11, 2021, 08:25:35 AM »
I don't disagree.  But I think that is true of pretty much every single band ever. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #958 on: October 11, 2021, 08:31:22 AM »
Not liking Alkaline Trio is a travesty if you're at all into pop punk. Go listen to Good Mourning and Crimson. Dark pop punk at its best.

I'm the same with respect to genres. I like bands, but not necessarily a genre. I tried liking Rush, i really tried.

Right now,  i have In the Court of Dragons on repeat.  This album is great stuff.  Early favorite is Crisis of Revelation. The catchy melody of the chorus grabs me every time

Hell yeah, Good Mourning is one of the best punk albums of all time as far as I'm concerned. So fucking good!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: October 14, 2021, 05:40:27 PM »
I've always loved "Private Eye".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: October 14, 2021, 05:58:17 PM »
Still spinning the new album.  It's a cracker.

Revelation is Ascendancy through and through.  Abattoir is probably my fav.  That riffing in the middle is insane.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #961 on: October 14, 2021, 06:45:27 PM »
Yes, loving this new album. Abattoir is my fav too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: October 14, 2021, 07:29:46 PM »
 :metal

That second verse in Sword is almost the most brutal thing the band has ever done.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #963 on: October 14, 2021, 07:38:24 PM »
I've been playing the album on repeat basically since its release.  The only track i don't really get into is No Way Through.  Just doesn't do anything. Everything else is very much worthy of being there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: October 14, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »
No Way Through is obviously one of their more commercial straight forward shorter tunes.  I actually really like that one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #965 on: October 21, 2021, 11:57:17 AM »
I need to catch up on the Trivium discog.  I have no idea why I keep losing copies of In Waves.  I need to pick that one up (again!), Silence, Dead Men, and Dragon.  I'll probably get the new one and go backwards.  No real desire to get any of the pre-Shogun albums.  But maybe some day.

I'm kind of surprised they don't have any official live releases.  I have seen a few shows on YouTube, and they sound great and put on a great show overall. 

And just in general, Matt Heafy is becoming one of my favorite musicians.  He has a great business mind and genuinely seems to like interacting with and doing special things for the fans, and I think he is in a great zone as far as figuring out a lot of ways to merge those two qualities.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #966 on: October 21, 2021, 02:21:01 PM »
I need to catch up on the Trivium discog.  I have no idea why I keep losing copies of In Waves.  I need to pick that one up (again!), Silence, Dead Men, and Dragon.  I'll probably get the new one and go backwards.  No real desire to get any of the pre-Shogun albums.  But maybe some day.

I'm kind of surprised they don't have any official live releases.  I have seen a few shows on YouTube, and they sound great and put on a great show overall. 

And just in general, Matt Heafy is becoming one of my favorite musicians.  He has a great business mind and genuinely seems to like interacting with and doing special things for the fans, and I think he is in a great zone as far as figuring out a lot of ways to merge those two qualities.

They did a live (albeit in a warehouse with no fans) DVD at Chapman Studios sometime after In Waves. It's pretty good, and was actually my first exposure to Trivium. The version of Ember to Inferno on there is fantastic. You wait and see. Live release next year for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: October 21, 2021, 02:29:23 PM »
Yeah, those few songs they released from that Chapman set is awesome.  I've only seen the ones on the DVD but I see there is more songs out there.  Will have to check that out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: October 21, 2021, 04:50:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOhc-dfEDY

IN WAVESSSS

Plus I like that the three guitarists all do vocals instead of being one of those bands that have 2 singers for some reason.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #969 on: October 21, 2021, 06:10:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOhc-dfEDY

IN WAVESSSS

Plus I like that the three guitarists all do vocals instead of being one of those bands that have 2 singers for some reason.

Matt spits a lot during that video. Clearly a pre-covid habit, I'm sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: October 21, 2021, 07:02:18 PM »
Yeah he does.  Pretty sure it's like a vocal related thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: October 22, 2021, 04:55:24 AM »
They seem to be on a click - but i'm sure it's faster than the CD. They never said why they got rid of Nick - but I wonder if its cause he would speed up ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #972 on: October 22, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
Just put in my order for this (along with A View from the Top of the World and A Dramatic Tour of Events).  Not sure why Amazon can deliver the two DT CD's tomorrow, but has an 11/10 delivery date for Court of the Dragon, but whatever.  Lots of good music to tide me over in the mean time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: October 22, 2021, 05:53:08 PM »
Yes and the new Mastodon DOUBLE album out next Friday :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #974 on: November 01, 2021, 10:45:09 AM »
Listened through the new one twice (once straight through, and once in bits and pieces).  On my third time through.  So far, I really like it.  I think I might prefer Sin as far as the more recent albums, but it might just be because it is more familiar.  But in any case, this is a solid effort. 

On a side note:  Not sure why it took me so long to notice this, since it's so obvious a point, but:  their album art for quite awhile now is pretty bold in terms of not having the band name or the album name or both prominently displayed on the cover.  They have quite a few albums that omit one or both (or at least have them really understated).  The new one obviously continues that, which I find interesting.  Additionally, this is probably my least favorite album cover, at least in a long time.  But that's neither hear nor there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: November 01, 2021, 10:48:18 AM »
I think the highs on this album are HIGH but they still have that one song thats just brutal and screaming with no melody that I cant get into.

I think its Fall Into Your Hands or Dawn to Decadence. The only two i'm least familiar with at the moment.

Choruses of : Sword Over Damocles - Shadow of the Abattoir - No Way Back Just Through are all MASSIVE.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #976 on: November 01, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »
The verses of Shadow feel a bit too understated (although they may not feel that way once I am more familiar), but the chorus and the bridge after the second chorus are MASSIVE.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: November 01, 2021, 10:56:31 AM »
A Crisis of Revelation sounds exactly like Ascendancy. Interesting that they can just sound like that if they want to.

Imagine if you heard Ascendancy in 2005 then that song and nothing in between. Youd be like :lolpalm: omg 15 years and they sound EXACTLY THE SAME.

Matt's harsh voice now is much more listenable and less screechy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #978 on: November 01, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
Not familiar with Ascendency, so I can't really comment on that.  But I will say that Crisis is one of my early "least favorites."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: November 01, 2021, 10:58:48 AM »
Honestly it sounds like an Ascendancy song that's had a 2021 remaster. Or at least a re-record.

I loved their re-recording of Pillars of Serpents.