Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103791 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #910 on: October 02, 2021, 06:20:48 PM »
:o

so THE PHALANX has mega Shogun vibes !!! Me Likey !!

Also - cause I bought the 3 new songs from iTunes - the rest of the album is now only £3. So i'll buy it from there and get the CD at a later date :)

One week to go !

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: October 03, 2021, 03:12:53 AM »
Wasn't too keen on that new one truthfully but feels like a grower.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: October 07, 2021, 05:38:38 PM »
New album is insane. I think it's the best of the Alex Bent era. It's like Ascendancy Shogun and Sin and The Sentence all in one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: October 07, 2021, 06:12:48 PM »
The Sin & The Sentence. What The Dead Men Say. In The Court Of The Dragon.

Three exceptional albums back to back. Very hard to pick a winner just now.

But my three least favourite Trivium albums are The Crusade, Vengeance Falls and Ember To Inferno.

Everything else is either fantastic ( In Waves ) really good ( Silence In The Snow ) or Good ( Ascendancy ).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: October 07, 2021, 08:51:40 PM »
New album is insane. I think it's the best of the Alex Bent era. It's like Ascendancy Shogun and Sin and The Sentence all in one.

Didn't see it today.  Will hunt it down over the weekend if I get a chance.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: October 08, 2021, 04:47:05 AM »
I already bought all the "singles" from iTunes as I like to support the bands - so the full album was only £3 so I thought why not... I can always get the CD at a later date.

Depending on my money situation I may get A View From The Top Of The World and Hushed and Grim from iTunes also and get the physical copies later..

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #916 on: October 08, 2021, 06:47:42 AM »
I don't even have the means of playing a physical CD or record lol. Unless a band releases their music on a streaming platform, i can't listen.

I gave the new album a listen this morning,  but i think it needs another spin before i pass judgement.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: October 08, 2021, 07:44:14 AM »
At worst it's as good as the last 2.

This is their 10th album. Their 25th anniversary is in 3 years. I think they should have a bit of a break and do something monumental for their 11th album.

10 feels like the end of an era. I can't see the next one being exactly like the last 3. They're sort of a trilogy sonically.

" Crisis of Revelation " is very Ascendancy. It's almost a remake of "Rain".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: October 08, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
I was not a fan of Shogun for a long time but i think one of my absolute favourite moments in any TRIVIUM song is from " Down From The Sky "

the first time Matt goes " ANNIHILATE! ALL THOSE WHO STAND IN THEIR WAY ! "

Goose bumps just thinking about it.

The closing minute of A Skyline's Severance is also amazing. And most of Chaos Reigns.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #919 on: October 08, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »
New album is insane. I think it's the best of the Alex Bent era.

Well, this definitely has me excited.  But...

It's like Ascendancy Shogun and Sin and The Sentence all in one.

I would have been a lot more excited if you said, "It's like In Waves and Vengeance Falls all in one."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: October 08, 2021, 08:41:17 AM »
??? But vengeance Falls was a huge disappointment? To me it sounds like In Waves leftovers just sequenced in any order. No album intro or anything.

Plus the overly hot production doesn't help.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #921 on: October 08, 2021, 08:50:33 AM »
??? But vengeance Falls was a huge disappointment?

Sorry, but "second best album in their discography" and "disappointment" are not compatible.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #922 on: October 08, 2021, 08:56:19 AM »
Glad this band are more consistent lately with the last few releases.

To me;

Ember to Inferno was ok but lacked polish and was clearly a young band finding their feet;
Ascendancy was epic, one of the best "pure" metalcore albums. Defined my teens, still love it;
Crusade I liked more than most as I'm big on thrash, but it is quite tame and cheesy at times;
Shogun is their masterpiece. Great album from start to finish, took the best parts of Ascendancy and Crusade and blended them with progressive, interesting songwriting;
In Waves was initially a big dissapointment after Shogun. Seemed like such a big step back. Very straightforward metalcore, bland songwriting. It's ok but I don't revisit it often;
Vengeance Falls is a big pile of meh to me, apart from the last 2 songs. Lacks dynamics, and sounds like Disturbed  :lol
Silence in the Snow was also mediocre and fairly boring to me;
Sin was a big step up after the previous 3. Much more interesting songwriting, brought the grit and dynamics back. Great album, revisit it often;
What the Dead Men Say followed the same path as Sin, but slightly less inspired. Still good though.

New album is great so far, last the last 2. Not sure if it's as good as Sin yet, but it's up there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: October 08, 2021, 09:01:26 AM »
Hard to rank individually - but

GREAT

1. In Waves
2. The Sin And The Sentence
3. In The Court Of the Dragon
4. What The Dead Men Say                 2 - 4 are interchangeable

GOOD

5. The Silence In The Snow
6. Shogun
7. Ascendancy

MEH

8. Vengeance Falls
9. The Crusade
10. Ember To Inferno.

10 albums in and they've only got one real duffer. I don't like Ember cause of how it sounds and it's their very first album. Pretty good going so far. I wonder if they'll stick with

Josh Wilbur as producer or if they'll go with someone else next time.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #924 on: October 08, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
Mine would be slightly different. Something like:

1. Shogun
2. Ascendancy

3. Sin
4. Court?? Too early to say. I expect between 3 and 5 somewhere once it settles in.
5. Dead Men

6. In Waves
7. Crusade
8. Ember
9. Silence
10. Vengeance

I think they hit something very special with both Ascendancy and Shogun, for different reasons.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #925 on: October 08, 2021, 11:49:37 AM »
The new album is definitely a keeper. I've listened 3 times now, and I think it's #1 or 2 in their catalog. The only track that didn't really move the needle much for me is Fall Into Your Hands. If you're into dual guitar leads and harmonies, then Trivium sets the standard (sorry, Iron Maiden fans). Sonically, I think Kotowboy's take is pretty spot on. It definitely sounds a bit like the other Alex albums because of his playing style coming through so much in the songs. It also has the raw, technical feel that Shogun presented, and yet sprinkled with the "catchy" harmonies found throughout Ascendency. This album will get lots of comparison to Sin and WTDMS more because of Matt's vocals. He's clearly changed up both his clean and scream post-throat surgery, so this is likely the new sound moving forward. It's not a huge departure from his original style (see M. Shadows of A7X), but I think it's noticeable (in a good way, IMO).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: October 08, 2021, 03:47:49 PM »
VF was awesome IMO.  The production wasn't great but I loved most of the songs.  It got a really bad wrap.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: October 08, 2021, 04:19:03 PM »
Vengeance Falls wasn't a terrible album but it felt like a big step down after In Waves was so epic.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #928 on: October 08, 2021, 05:59:06 PM »
For their 25th anniversary, my money is on a live DVD using that hangar they converted into a studio space. Easy bet

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: October 09, 2021, 03:40:23 AM »
They're 100% gonna rinse that hangar now they've got it.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #930 on: October 09, 2021, 04:39:36 AM »
Yea I think this is definitely better than What the Dead Men Say, and possibly The Sin and The Sentence. Currently in my 2nd listen, and although I always live in hope they are  able to one day hit the highs of Ascendancy, The Crusade and Shogun, I'm at peace with the fact they might never achieve this for me.

I guess my ranking would be:

Shogun
Ascendancy

The Crusade

Ember to Inferno
Silence in the Snow
In Waves
The Sin and The Sentence

What the Dead Men Say
Vengeance Falls

(too early to rank the new one but possibly between In Waves and Sin and The Sentence)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 01:19:27 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: October 09, 2021, 05:31:56 AM »
I'll never hear what other people do in Ascendancy. I love Pull Harder... But the rest of it just sounds like every other metalcore band at the time, with completely lifeless robotic drumming.

I think from Shogun onwards is way better.

Quote from: TwoSuitsLuke

Shogun
Ascendancy

The Crusade

Ember to Inferno
Silence in the Snow
In Waves
The Sin and The Sentence

What the Dead Men Say
Vengeance Falls

This ranking hurts my brain  :sadpanda: If you Don't love The Sin and The Sentence & What The Dead Men Say - what do you want in a trivium album ? Mid 2000s Metalcore screamo ?

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #932 on: October 09, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »
I'll never hear what other people do in Ascendancy. I love Pull Harder... But the rest of it just sounds like every other metalcore band at the time, with completely lifeless robotic drumming.

Shogun
Ascendancy

The Crusade

Ember to Inferno
Silence in the Snow
In Waves
The Sin and The Sentence

What the Dead Men Say
Vengeance Falls

This ranking hurts my brain  :sadpanda: If you Don't love The Sin and The Sentence & What The Dead Men Say - what do you want in a trivium album ? Mid 2000s Metalcore screamo ?

It's fine that we love different eras of the band. Ascendancy is just an incredible album and if it sounds like other metalcore to you, it doesn't make that fact. I personally love Travis' drumming more than any other drummer they've had, and think he was anything but robotic.

Shogun was the pinnacle for me, from then onwards Trivium have never wowed me. Shogun had a cool theme and aesthetic, the songs were well crafted, more progressive and had catchier vocals. I know you are not a fan of The Crusade but I personally think the better songs from that album are leagues ahead of anything they've done since Shogun..

I feel In Waves was technically great but lacked soul. Silence in the Snow is my favourite post Shogun album.

As for Sin and Dead Men, no I don't love them. I don't hate them either though, I just feel Trivium have become quite formulaic and nothing really surprises me with a new release, if often feels like retreading old ground. That is not something you can say of their first 5 albums.

I don't just want mid 2000s metalcore screamo?? I can't say I was ever into that scene.

What I personally want is to be surprised by the band again, and see them progress their sound. It doesn't matter what I want though, if they are happy. I do feel underwhelmed by their releases generally, but that is because I have held them in such high regard for years.

That being said the new one does feel like a step in the right direction and I could see myself loving it more than anything else since Shogun.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: October 09, 2021, 01:30:57 PM »

Shogun
Ascendancy

The Crusade

Ember to Inferno
Silence in the Snow
In Waves
The Sin and The Sentence

What the Dead Men Say
Vengeance Falls

I'll do a ranking later but WTDMS might be at the bottom.  TSATS however will be higher up the list.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #934 on: October 09, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »

I'll do a ranking later but WTDMS might be at the bottom.

Are you shitting me? How is that even possible in a world where Silence in the Snow and Ember to Inferno already exist?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: October 09, 2021, 03:23:24 PM »

I'll do a ranking later but WTDMS might be at the bottom.

Are you shitting me? How is that even possible in a world where Silence in the Snow and Ember to Inferno already exist?

I think I like them better.  Dead Man was solid but is the Trivium album that has had the least impact for me.  I have been meaning to revisit it though.

Ascendancy is my fav so Ive always really liked Ember.  Silence had some great songs too.  I think that one has aged well because the no growls thing was a once of.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #936 on: October 09, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »
So the only Trivium album I have is Crusade,  and it's pretty awesome!  So what other albums are a must have in their discography??
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: October 09, 2021, 03:35:49 PM »
So the only Trivium album I have is Crusade,  and it's pretty awesome!  So what other albums are a must have in their discography??

If you like The Crusade, most of them, especially if you like harsh vocals.  Shogun, Ascendancy, In Waves and The Sin and the Sentence a few good ones to explore next.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: October 09, 2021, 04:06:50 PM »
If you like The Crusade - keep going. try Shogun next.

I love In Waves so much. I also really like Silence In The Snow as harsh vocals aren't my cup of tea. I just tolerate them in trivium as I don't mind Matt's harsh vocals.

i also like Troy from Mastodon and Corey Taylor.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #939 on: October 09, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
I bought The Crusade when it came out and liked it. I haven't listened to it in ages. It reminded me a lot of Testament. I always felt like when that came, it kicked Testament in the ass as they really got going after that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: October 09, 2021, 04:31:30 PM »
The Crusade is generally regarded as their worst album.It came out the year after Ascendancy and "We Are The Fire" is Eye of The Tiger with Matt doing his very best Hetfield Impression.

I love Trivium NOW but at the time my friend and I saw the video for it on TV and we were both in stitches.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #941 on: October 09, 2021, 05:03:03 PM »

I love In Waves so much. I also really like Silence In The Snow as harsh vocals aren't my cup of tea. I just tolerate them in trivium as I don't mind Matt's harsh vocals.

I realize this isn't a Mastodon thread,  but if you haven't checked out their new singles yet,  stop whatever you're doing and get on it. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: October 09, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »
The Crusade is generally regarded as their worst album.It came out the year after Ascendancy and "We Are The Fire" is Eye of The Tiger with Matt doing his very best Hetfield Impression.

I love Trivium NOW but at the time my friend and I saw the video for it on TV and we were both in stitches.

I got into Trivium when Ascendancy came out and when Anthem was released, I was so disappointed.  I like the Crusade now but when it was released it took a while for me to really accept it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: October 09, 2021, 05:33:58 PM »

I realize this isn't a Mastodon thread,  but if you haven't checked out their new singles yet,  stop whatever you're doing and get on it.

You mean Pushing The Tides and TearDrinker ? I've already bought them ;D I've been a huge Mastodon fan since Leviathan.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: October 10, 2021, 03:49:44 AM »
Ascendancy
Shogun
In Waves
The Sin and the Sentence
Vengeance Falls
Ember to Infeno
Silence in the Snow
Crusade
What the Dead Men Say

I think that's pretty accurate.