Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103825 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #875 on: November 05, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »
uh, I guess, but for every album I've recorded I get the drums done first so that I can synch up the right hand of the guitars and the bass guitar with the bass drum.  Doing drums last is a weird way to record. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #876 on: November 05, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
uh, I guess, but for every album I've recorded I get the drums done first so that I can synch up the right hand of the guitars and the bass guitar with the bass drum.  Doing drums last is a weird way to record.

I completely disagree. Think about it like this: you don't write a song with the drums first. You write melody and rhythm first, typically on keys or stringed instruments. Percussion comes afterwards, and can easily be altered to match the song structure. And a drum machine, or any metronome for that matter, can simulate a bass drum for guitar purposes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: November 05, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »
I can see the benefit of doing it either way.

However unlike a lot of rock albums - Metal albums tend to track drums then guitars THEN bass. So the bass can really lock in with the riffs.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: November 09, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »

I completely disagree. Think about it like this: you don't write a song with the drums first. You write melody and rhythm first, typically on keys or stringed instruments. Percussion comes afterwards, and can easily be altered to match the song structure. And a drum machine, or any metronome for that matter, can simulate a bass drum for guitar purposes.

Uh, I'm not referring to "writing" I'm referring to recording.  Which is why I said that every album I've ever RECORDED we always get the drums done first so that whatever the drummer does we can make adjustments in the riffs to better synch them up with the drummer's feet.  I write pretty much every aspect of my music, except drums.  For drums I give my musicians demos to work with that are very close to the finished product with very basic midi-drums for them to just have an idea of the vibe I'm going for but I tell them to play what comes natural to them.  The rest of the recording is built around whatever the drummer ends up doing.  Now I'll admit my process is likely somewhat unique in that it's 100% collaborative.

If you want to "disagree" with how I record, OK, but I'm not asking you to record that way, it's just how I do it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #879 on: February 10, 2021, 01:21:12 PM »
Matt posted this live video of Creeping Death with Corey Taylor and Robb Flynn as guests:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9r2Sj1pKVU

Man, looks like they are having a TON of fun!  And I love how the censor basically gives up halfway through the first verse, and then tries to catch some of the F-bombs later, but either beeps late or misses some of them altogether.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #880 on: February 10, 2021, 01:32:27 PM »
Matt posted this live video of Creeping Death with Corey Taylor and Robb Flynn as guests:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9r2Sj1pKVU

Man, looks like they are having a TON of fun!  And I love how the censor basically gives up halfway through the first verse, and then tries to catch some of the F-bombs later, but either beeps late or misses some of them altogether.  :lol
Better than Metallica plays it, if you ask me. Corey Taylor nailed it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: July 09, 2021, 06:04:24 AM »
https://youtu.be/ybekW8fZHH0

New Trivium.  Not bad.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #882 on: July 09, 2021, 06:28:18 AM »

New Trivium.  Not bad.

Not bad at all. More aggressive sounding than What The Dead Men Say. And I'm a sucker for concept albums, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Odd, although I'm certainly not complaining, that they're releasing another album without touring the last one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: July 09, 2021, 06:44:31 AM »
So it's a new song based off something else ? Wonder if the whole album will be based off this or if it's just a song for someone else's project...

Time Will tell but " In The Court Of The Dragon " is a bit cheesy for an album title IMO.

I need to give the song a decent listen since I just put the video on in the background.

Definitely a Shogun vibe.  But also it's their 10th album and 10 years since In Waves. ( My fave....In faves. )

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #884 on: July 09, 2021, 08:27:16 AM »
I liked the song, not bad at all.

Though from a guitar stand point, sometimes Matt leaves me wanting more from his tone.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: July 09, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
I like it.  Last album never really hooked me.  I spun it a few times but never really felt a need to go back to it.  I love how this song has a classical music chord progression and lots of classical instrumentation, but then the chugging and screaming.  This is one of the few screaming groups that I can listen to, but I admit I prefer it when they sing and simply tolerate the screaming.  But I don't listen to this band for vocals, it's really all about the instrumentation with these guys.  The arrangement is clever and sophisticated without being too cerebral.   

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: July 09, 2021, 11:33:54 AM »

That's a hard song to cover, lots of different changes and odd-meter stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense until you've heard it a dozen times.  That's one of the tightest covers of Creeping Death I've ever seen.  That was rock solid and they were going at least 4 or 5 BPM faster than the album version which makes it even more impressive  :eek

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #887 on: July 09, 2021, 03:21:20 PM »
I like it.  Last album never really hooked me.  I spun it a few times but never really felt a need to go back to it.  I love how this song has a classical music chord progression and lots of classical instrumentation, but then the chugging and screaming.  This is one of the few screaming groups that I can listen to, but I admit I prefer it when they sing and simply tolerate the screaming.  But I don't listen to this band for vocals, it's really all about the instrumentation with these guys.  The arrangement is clever and sophisticated without being too cerebral.
That's my general opinion about vocals, too. Trivium is the only screaming band i listen to, and i do enjoy Heafy's scream, but I'm here for the dual guitar heroics

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: July 09, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »

Same, and I've been a fan since Ascendancy.  Something about the last one was missing for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: July 09, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »

New Trivium.  Not bad.

Not bad at all. More aggressive sounding than What The Dead Men Say. And I'm a sucker for concept albums, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Odd, although I'm certainly not complaining, that they're releasing another album without touring the last one.

I guess with COVID they just wanted to keep busy maybe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: July 10, 2021, 03:36:51 AM »
I Still think IN WAVES is their masterpiece. Shogun didn't click for me for the longest time. I actually really like Silence In The Snow because idgaf about cookie monster vocals

and Vengeance Falls was like the songs that were left over from In Waves in literally any old running order.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #891 on: July 10, 2021, 06:47:31 AM »
I'm going to have to go listen to In Waves again. I seem to remember it being behind Ascendency, Shogun, Sin and the Sentence and What The Dead Men Say. It's possible i never gave it a proper go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: July 10, 2021, 06:48:51 AM »
I'm going to have to go listen to In Waves again. I seem to remember it being behind Ascendency, Shogun, Sin and the Sentence and What The Dead Men Say. It's possible i never gave it a proper go.

In Waves is up there for me, but behind Ascendancy and Shogun.  I'd say it's my third fav though.  Lots of tracks and variety and lots of heaviness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: July 10, 2021, 07:30:58 AM »
The production of In Waves is great. I was massively on the fence about Trivium in general til I heard In Waves the song.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #894 on: July 10, 2021, 07:58:42 AM »
In Waves does very little for me. Unfortunately for me, after Shogun their albums just don't hit that hard. I still listen to every album they put out, and I think Silence in the Snow is my fave post Shogun album. The last two in particular were solid but really forgettable.

Ascendancy will likely always be my #1 album but the song Shogun is hands down their best song! It's so freaking good.

And I also love The Crusade more than any post Shogun album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #895 on: July 10, 2021, 01:34:49 PM »
I Still think IN WAVES is their masterpiece.

Agreed.  I like that album pretty much from start to finish.  And I sort of agree about Vengeance Falls sounding sort of like leftovers from those sessions.  But not entirely.  To me, it just kinda sounds in a similar vein, if not a bit more commercial.  But even though the lesser songs aren't as good, the good songs are pretty solid.

I didn't get the last album, but have been meaning to.  I liked what I heard, but just never got around to it.

I didn't like the new song at all.  Initial impression was, it might be one of their worst songs I have heard.  But I need to give it another listen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: July 10, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »
I always had a soft spot for VF.  The songs IMO are very good.  The production lets it down though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: July 10, 2021, 02:54:34 PM »
Paolo said on Twitter they weren’t happy with the production.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: July 10, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »
I hope that the next album is just not some rushed album like Vengeance Falls. It would be a shame since they've been on a roll since Silence In The Snow.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #899 on: July 10, 2021, 05:29:29 PM »
Production aside, i think In the Court of Dragons is a fantastic track. Best release in years

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: July 11, 2021, 03:29:10 AM »
Paolo said on Twitter they weren’t happy with the production.

And he's right, but it's still a great album.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 04:07:10 AM by wolfking »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: August 12, 2021, 07:10:46 AM »
TriVium announce 10th album " In The Court Of The Dragon " out October 10.

Nice. 10th album. 10th day of 10th month.

0. X
1. In The Court Of The Dragon
2. Like A Sword Over Damocles
3. Feast Of Fire
4. A Crisis Of Revelation
5. The Shadow Of The Abattoir
6. No Way Back Just Through
7. Fall Into Your Hands
8. From Dawn To Decadence
9. The Phalanx

Those are some very Shogun-esque titles. I'm guessing this will be an album in that vein ?

New song Feast Of Fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mue8XLsKYtQ.

Edited track list based on new information.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:32:18 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: August 12, 2021, 07:19:36 AM »
I liked that song better than the first.  Only 2 months away too, good stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: August 12, 2021, 07:20:38 AM »
New Mastodon this year too hopefully.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: August 12, 2021, 07:27:55 AM »
Crap the album is October 8th. I misread. I think they missed a trick there though.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #905 on: August 12, 2021, 07:44:46 AM »
Feast of Fire is pretty good, but I think In the Court of the Dragon is better. At any rate, this is a good start to the new album.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #906 on: August 12, 2021, 08:28:49 AM »
I dig the first two songs they've released! I like the album title, and I love the album art! :metal

Good news so far! Excited to hear this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #907 on: August 12, 2021, 08:36:50 AM »
I like this one a lot better than the first one.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #908 on: August 14, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
I like this one a lot better than the first one.
Agreed!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: August 14, 2021, 02:44:37 PM »
I've spun this new song a couple more times.  Really really good.