Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103824 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #840 on: August 12, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »
Cool festival full-concert video from earlier this summer:  https://metalinjection.net/video/watch-triviums-full-vainstream-rockfest-2019-set

EDIT:  Even better, Download Festival, 2019:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZhBiV2oQ6I
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:23:44 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: August 12, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »
Cool festival full-concert video from earlier this summer:  https://metalinjection.net/video/watch-triviums-full-vainstream-rockfest-2019-set

EDIT:  Even better, Download Festival, 2019:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZhBiV2oQ6I

This epic bump had me excited possibly for some new album news.  I'll have to check those out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #842 on: August 12, 2019, 09:54:57 PM »
Sorry, man.  I saw an interview over the weekend where Paulo said likely next year, but they do not have solid writing plans at the moment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: August 13, 2019, 05:26:22 AM »
Sorry, man.  I saw an interview over the weekend where Paulo said likely next year, but they do not have solid writing plans at the moment.

Don't apologize.  I'm juat being greedy.  Figured more like next year honestly.  Love a good Trivium thread bump regardless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: February 27, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
New video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNgyzREsaAA

Pretty much a continuation of the last album.  Very good, but the first time that something has sounded exactly like the last.  Trivium have always been a band for me that changes their sound from album to album.  I hope they are not settling in a formula.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #845 on: April 17, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
I think the 3 tracks released for the album so far are all kinds of awesome. Yes, it sounds a bit like Sin and the Sentence in terms of style, but I think that's a good thing. For me , S&S was their best album since Shogun. Amongst the Shadows and the Stones is one of the best in your face metal songs I've heard in a long while. I'm very much looking forward to the full release next week!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: April 17, 2020, 06:46:15 PM »
I think the 3 tracks released for the album so far are all kinds of awesome. Yes, it sounds a bit like Sin and the Sentence in terms of style, but I think that's a good thing. For me , S&S was their best album since Shogun. Amongst the Shadows and the Stones is one of the best in your face metal songs I've heard in a long while. I'm very much looking forward to the full release next week!

Yeah, I wasn;t overly hyped for the first two songs.  Did sound a continuation of TSATS and hoping the band don't fall in a rut with their sound as they are one of the best bands in a long time able to change up their sound so much, but holy shit this is incredible.  Wow, Matt's vocals are just insane.  Love it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #847 on: April 18, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »
Haha, for some reason I thought it was out already.

I liked the recently released song. It came up on Spotify, in my recently released mix.

Catastrophist, is a song I didn't expect from Trivium. But, I only so the hits and a bit from Live Shows. The drums, and grooves are great.

Damn, I have pit tickets for The Megadeth show. Haven't heard anything yet, so we'll see.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: April 30, 2020, 12:17:07 AM »
Anyone listened to this?  I haven't yet and will pick up my copy on the weekend. Response seems very positive.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #849 on: April 30, 2020, 06:48:10 AM »
It's a solid album. Only one song i tend to skip (Bleed into me). The 3 singles are still my favorite tracks on the album, but overall a solid outing for the Trivium guys.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #850 on: April 30, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »
Worthy follow to their last. Wish it was a bit longer.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #851 on: April 30, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »
Yup. 9 tracks (i count IX as the intro to dead men), and 1 is 3min long.... that's short for a metal record. Unless it's a hatebreed album, that is

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: April 30, 2020, 11:34:39 PM »
I read it's still 48 minutes long, that's fine IMO.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #853 on: May 01, 2020, 05:49:17 AM »
^Well, 46 mins (including a 2 min intro), but it's still pretty solid.

Liking the album a lot. A bit more accessible than Sin, with more of their mid-2000s metalcore sound in the choruses and whatnot. Its more consistent, but also lacks highlights for me.

I still long for the Shogun days. Wish they would have progressed that sound.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #854 on: May 01, 2020, 06:39:17 AM »
Yup. 9 tracks (i count IX as the intro to dead men), and 1 is 3min long.... that's short for a metal record. Unless it's a hatebreed album, that is
No it's not. That's an extremely normal album length. 40-45 minutes would probably be the average, so it even exceeds that a little.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #855 on: May 01, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »
Generally speaking, if a band can't come up with an hour's worth of music, I don't think they are trying hard enough.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: May 05, 2020, 11:35:10 PM »
Not sure what to think after one listen.  Will need a couple more, I didn't mind it.  It does feel short for the length, but that's not an issue for me.  Sickness Unto You is blistering.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #857 on: May 06, 2020, 02:48:51 AM »
That's definitely a highlight, along with Among the Shadows and the Stones!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: May 13, 2020, 11:57:32 PM »
I'm actually really loving this new album.  I have no issues with the length.  Another song wouldn't have hurt but that's a non issue really.  Wasn't too keen on the first two tracks but they have grown plenty.  Sickness unto You is easily my fav with Stones a close second. 

The production is clear and the performances are excellent.  The riffing at times is sublime with lots of groovy sections throughout.  Lots of influences from past albums too.  The Defiant is pure old school Ascendancy era Trivium  and I even hear bits of Shogun through certain instrumental sections.  Arc to Fear reminds me of In Waves and that ending is massive.  The closer is a great song with a nice mix of styles too.

I was worried that they had found a rut in their sound with the first two tracks sounding a lot like TSATS but thankfully as the album rolls on it definitely has it's own sound and style.  More straightforward even though there's intricate stuff happening and a lot more accessible.  Great album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: October 30, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
The Sin and The Sentence & What The Dead Men Say are both very good indeed.

But on the whole I think I just prefer The Sin And The Sentence ( out of the two ). Although I prefer The Ones We Leave Behind as a Closer.

Album Ranking ?

FINE...

1. In Waves
2. The Sin and The Sentence
3. What The Dead Men Say
4. Silence In The Snow
5. Shogun ( I love it but I find Silence... more consistent )
6. Vengeance Falls
7. Ascendancy ( I can't get into the screamo metalcore vibe and Matts harsh voice is too screechy )
8. The Crusade
9. Ember To Inferno

And yes - Josh Wilbur is a great producer. These last two albums have sounded fantastic. But I also loved the production on In Waves and Silence...

Paolo said on Twitter that they weren't happy with how loud Vengeance... was.

Whilst i'm not a fan of Ascendancy ( I didn't like it in 2005 ) I do love The Defiant from What The Dead Men Say. It sounds like an Ascendancy track but much better and less

'scene' and with Matt's deeper warmer harsh vocals.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #860 on: October 30, 2020, 05:08:04 PM »
Wow. In Waves and Silence in the Snow have no business being ahead of Ascendency. Or even the crusade lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: October 30, 2020, 05:08:42 PM »
After a few months, I don't think there's any competition between the last two albums.  Sin is far superior.

And yeah, I mentioned that above, Defiant is pure Ascendancy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: October 30, 2020, 05:09:21 PM »
Wow. In Waves and Silence in the Snow have no business being ahead of Ascendency. Or even the crusade lol.

Ascendancy is still their best album.  I don't think that will ever change for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: October 30, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
I've never liked the Metalcore scene. And I don't like Matt's harsh vocals on it.

Oh and I know people worship him But I always thought Travis was a really robotic drummer.

Alex is their best drummer hands down. Then Nick.

"...Sentence " and " Dead Men " are like two sides of a double album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: October 30, 2020, 05:22:52 PM »
I've never liked the Metalcore scene. And I don't like Matt's harsh vocals on it.

Oh and I know people worship him But I always thought Travis was a really robotic drummer.

Alex is their best drummer hands down. Then Nick.

"...Sentence " and " Dead Men " are like two sides of a double album.

I can see that actually.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: October 30, 2020, 05:28:58 PM »
:octavarium:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #866 on: October 30, 2020, 05:51:52 PM »
I think the top tracks on Dead Men are better than the top Sin tracks. But as a whole, you guys are probably right about Sin being the better album.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #867 on: October 30, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
And Alex is definitely the top drummer

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: October 30, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
And Alex is definitely the top drummer

Indeed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: November 02, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »
So TriVium have their own H.Q. now. I wonder if they'll make it a live streaming venue as well as a recording studio etc.

I imagine so. I can't see it being a venue though - as then everyone would know where they hang out and keep all their gear.

I can see them doing live streams to just their crew and family / friends...

And recording all their albums there going forward.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #870 on: November 02, 2020, 05:13:34 PM »
Neat idea. I watched their Distant Light livestream back in June, and it was really good. I'd easily pay another $10 for a steaming concert

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: November 03, 2020, 03:05:45 PM »
I'd never pay to watch one live as streaming quality is awful awful and you're not guaranteed that your internet won't fuck off just as it starts and you pay for nothing.

I'd gladly pay AFTER when it's on YouTube or whatever at High Quality picture and audio with no glitching or drop in picture etc.

-------

I'm hoping Metallica will upload their drive in concert. it's odd they haven't even uploaded any clips. But at least that was pre-recorded and you just go to watch the "film"

and not stream it at crappy quality.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #872 on: November 03, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »
The live stream quality was actually top notch on the trivium show back in June. They did it at an venue meant for live recording though, so that probably helps. And the price was good. I think if they'd tried to pry $40 for a ticket I'd have told them to fuck off

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #873 on: November 05, 2020, 11:08:32 AM »
Couldn't really get into the latest album, but I LOVED the one before it. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: November 05, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »
Hmmm to me they're two sides of the same album.

I agree that Sin & Sentence just takes it though.

Also Josh Wilbur is a great producer. Both albums sound fantastic.

-----

I think if you're the producer. Mixer AND Master-er all in one - you need to make that album in a very short time so you don't get ear fatigue and lose all objectivity.

I think trivium are the kind of band ( like Mastodon ) to pre produce themselves well beforehand and practice / re-write everything

until the arrangements are SOLID and you can play the songs backwards. THEN go in the studio and basically just crank it out in a few days.

------

Also interesting that on What The Dead Men Say - they recorded the drums LAST. They tracked to an electric drum kit.

Then when they were 100% happy with everything - THEN they tracked drums. To save finishing the album and

wanting to change something last minute and having to set the drums up again and re-track them - and them not sounding consistent***

Smart.

-----

*** Drums will sound different in different studios with different mic placements etc etc. But you can track guitar cabs almost anywhere and you won't notice much difference.

Which is why in *general* ALL the drums are done first so they sound consistent throughout the album.