Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103784 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #595 on: May 08, 2014, 09:10:25 AM »
Good.  He deserved it.

Came here to post this. 

He was shit and didn't deserve to be in the band.  He sucked live too.  They should really bring back Travis, he was the
Lol that's really rich. Nick is a fantastic drummer, he was in Maruta beforehand, and playing in a grindcore band takes the endurance of the gods. So not only does he have great endurance, but in my opinion his drumming sounded great (on In Waves, where he actually got to play how he wanted to play)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:18:51 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #596 on: May 08, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
I know nothing about any of their drummers, but I thought the drums on In Waves were fantastic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »
I actually preferred Nick to Travis :dunno:

I thought Travis was really sterile and Nick had some feel to his playing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #598 on: May 08, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
I actually preferred Nick to Travis :dunno:

I thought Travis was really sterile and Nick had some feel to his playing.
It was the grindcore experience  :metal
Grindcore drummers are some of my favorite drummers, not only because they play extremely intense stuff, but the best ones find out how to stuff some sick shit into a song that's only half a minute to a minute long. Also they're so much fun to watch live  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #599 on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »
I was a huge fan of the band a few years ago but I haven't actually heard the two latest albums, so I have no idea at all how this guy was. On Shogun it felt like they were taking that step to become the next Metallica/Maiden, but after Shogun (which felt like it was going a bit proggier than previous albums), it felt like they went back to pretty dull and generic Roadrunner metal.

It's hard for me to get excited or interested in anything released on Roadrunner these days, they manage to suck the life and fun out of most bands I used to listen to. There's probably a few exceptions (like with most rules), but I find the majority of metal bands on their roster to be extremely bland and mediocre.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #600 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:42 AM »
I was a huge fan of the band a few years ago but I haven't actually heard the two latest albums, so I have no idea at all how this guy was. On Shogun it felt like they were taking that step to become the next Metallica/Maiden, but after Shogun (which felt like it was going a bit proggier than previous albums), it felt like they went back to pretty dull and generic Roadrunner metal.

It's hard for me to get excited or interested in anything released on Roadrunner these days, they manage to suck the life and fun out of most bands I used to listen to. There's probably a few exceptions (like with most rules), but I find the majority of metal bands on their roster to be extremely bland and mediocre.
Hopefully Kvelertak is one of those exceptions :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: May 08, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
Oh yeah Kverlertak are great, but didn't they recently sign on for Roadrunner? (The first album was released somewhere else right?) It's not like a band signs to RR and instantly starts sucking, but more a case of the label completely sucking the band dry over the course of a few albums, and eventually they sound just like "generic metal radio band", and not whatever made them unique in the first place.  :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #602 on: May 08, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »
Yeah, their second album was their first with Roadrunner, but in all honesty I don't mind Roadrunner that much. I still like what most of the metal bands on their roster release, I just think some bands are just starting to peter out, wouldn't matter what label they're on. Roadrunner seem to be cool with artists sounding how they want to sound.

Of course if Kvelertak had signed to Relapse, I'd have probably been happier  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: May 08, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »
In Waves is an awesome album. It's their "Black" album if anything.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #604 on: May 08, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
I feel like it's their "In Waves" album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #605 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:40 AM »
I haven't really had any issue with any of the drumming I have heard from them, whether live or on album.  Admittedly, my exposure to them is fairly limited, but still.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #606 on: May 08, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »

Given what I think about Black Album, that's not really an encouraging comment.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: May 08, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »

Stop saying that man.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: May 09, 2014, 05:02:49 AM »
I do believe I can say whatever the fuck I want.

It's because it contains their most concise focused songwriting in my opinion and comes after their most technical album.

It also has what I find to be their best production so far.

Those reasons alone make me think of Metallica's self titled.

If you disagree then you are welcome to list YOUR reasons instead of going LOL NO :lolpalm:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:45:18 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: May 09, 2014, 06:20:28 AM »
Settle down bro, Jesus.  ::)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: May 09, 2014, 06:27:01 AM »
...Still no reasons then I take it.

I suppose i'm a LOL BUTTHURT TRIVIUM FANBOY LOL

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #611 on: May 09, 2014, 06:31:47 AM »
wtf

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: May 09, 2014, 06:35:00 AM »
...Still no reasons then I take it.

I suppose i'm a LOL BUTTHURT TRIVIUM FANBOY LOL

Righto mate.  Go back a few pages and read our discussion the last time you expressed that opinion.   I'm not in the mood to repeat myself, or getting into it to be honest. 

Anyway, back to Trivium;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-trivium-drummer-nick-augusto-split-with-band-was-not-my-decision/

I think the statement yeasterday from Paolo made it clear it wasn't his decision.  He must not have seen it coming.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: May 09, 2014, 06:49:04 AM »
It's a shame because I liked his playing and actually preferred him to Travis.

They all seemed to get along too - especially in the making of for VF.

That could have been put on for the cameras / public though.

It must have been hardest for Paolo since he was friends with Nick from before Trivium.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: May 09, 2014, 04:12:21 PM »
I would really like to know the real reasons behind this.

Offline lodeus

« Reply #615 on: May 09, 2014, 10:35:59 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: May 11, 2014, 03:32:16 AM »
Seems like a harsh response, but it may be friendly banter between the two.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #617 on: July 30, 2015, 06:54:31 AM »
Bumpage.
"Silence In The Snow", the new JonPaul Douglass-directed video from Florida metallers TRIVIUM, can be seen below. The song is the title track of the band's new album, which will be released on October 2 via Roadrunner Records.

Said TRIVIUM guitarist/vocalist Matt Heafy: "For those of you wondering, this song was written for [2008's] 'Shogun', and is basically almost the same as it was, so 'Shogun' fans rejoice; didn't like 'Shogun'? You may not dig this. But know that since I was 12, I wanted to be a great singer I screamed, because I couldn't sing. I am proud and excited to finally be able to do what I love the way I love."

He continued: "Don't love it? Our old stuff still exists. Love it? Awesome. I love both sides of you all regardless.

"Screaming is easy. Singing is hard. I've always been a fan of what's harder. If you love the old stuff — listen to the old stuff, it's still there and we still play it live."

Heafy added: "We always want to evolve and make what we want to make. You can't say many other bands can say that. They do what they think people want or are told to; we do what we want every time. And we love our TRIVIUM supporters worldwide."

TRIVIUM in May 2014 parted ways with drummer Nick Augusto due to personal differences. Stepping in for him on TRIVIUM's most recent dates was the band's drum tech, Mat Madiro.

TRIVIUM's last album, "Vengeance Falls", made Top 10 chart debuts in Japan, Australia, Germany and Austria as well as a Top 15 debut in Canada and a Top 25 debut in the United Kingdom. This marked the acclaimed metallers' second consecutive Top 15 debut in the U.S. and highest-career debuts around the globe — including a No. 2 debut in Japan.

"Vengeance Falls" sold 17,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The record — which was produced by David Draiman (DISTURBED, DEVICE) — arrived in stores on October 15, 2013 via Roadrunner.

"Silence in the Snow"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #618 on: July 30, 2015, 08:36:39 AM »
I clicked the link and watched the video before I read the blurb.  The funny thing about that was that I had two thoughts while watching the video that Matt addresses in the quotes above:

1.  I was thinking, "wow, I haven't heard Matt really sing like this before.  This is new."
2.  I was thinking, "Interestingly, this doesn't sound like what I would have thought a follow-up to Vengeance Falls would sound like.  It almost reminds me more of something off of Shogun." 

:lol 

Anyhow, I have not been following what they have been up to, so good to know an album is on the way.  Not sure what I think of the song.  I like the sound of their last two albums more, but time will tell. 

The video itself is just strange, on so many levels.  And why do we not even see Paolo's face until 2:53?  And what is the deal with the drummer's face?  And...so.  many.  questions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: July 30, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »
This doesn't sound like Draiman again - this is a lot warmer sounding that Vengeance Falls.

I hope they got Colin Richardson & Ginger back again.

Offline adace

« Reply #620 on: July 30, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »
Song's really good. Looking forward to this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: July 30, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »
Same producer as Slash's last album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #623 on: July 31, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »
Yup. Michael "Elvis" Baskette. 
He produces Alter Bridge and Tremonti as well.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #624 on: July 31, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
Cool. I wonder if that connection played a part in Trivium touring with Tremonti soon.

The sound of the new song is better than the last album, and Shogun is my favourite Trivium album so more like that is good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: July 31, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »
No screaming, fuck.  It was one of the things that made the band so powerful IMO.

It's alright though.  Sounds like Matt has really worked on his vox.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #626 on: July 31, 2015, 03:40:15 PM »
I don't know that there is no screaming on the album at all.  He is just saying that he wanted to do some other singing.  (Although I have to say, I thought his singing was already really cool)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: July 31, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
I don't know that there is no screaming on the album at all.  He is just saying that he wanted to do some other singing.  (Although I have to say, I thought his singing was already really cool)

Matt's statement worrys me and gives me the impression that he's totally left the screaming behind, but I hope I'm wrong.  Interesting that this has no screaming yet was written in teh Shogun sessions.  I guess the omission of screaming is why it was left out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: July 31, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
Just had a listen on Spotify in some decent over the ears headphones.

Nice and phat. Huge bass sound. Warm. Nowhere near as fizzy as Vengeance Falls.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: July 31, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »
Yeah, the VF production was so bad.  The youtube quality of this new song still sounds better than the VF CD.