Author Topic: The Trivium Thread  (Read 103802 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Trivium Thread
« Reply #1015 on: May 16, 2022, 04:35:54 PM »
TSATS is definitely in the upper tier of where their albums sit.  I'm loving the newest one, I keep coming back to it quite a bit, really aging well.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1016 on: May 18, 2022, 08:15:08 AM »
Agree, the new one is really good and continues to grow on me.  It might end up edging out TSATS eventually.

Over the past couple of days I listened to Silence in the Snow and Vengeance Falls, and I found them fairly decent.  I see why most have them ranked near the bottom, but there are definitely things worth revisiting.  Some of Silence in the Snow kinda reminded me of Projector era Dark Tranquility, which isn't a bad thing.

Next up, I'll go back and check out Ascendancy for the first time in a long time and the Crusade as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: May 18, 2022, 03:53:26 PM »
VF I've always liked.  The production sucks, needs redoing but the songs are excellent.  I get too why it's ranked bottom tier but it's good.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1018 on: May 20, 2022, 06:58:51 PM »
Anyone else listened to the Ibaraki album that came out earlier this month? It's a Matt Heafy project he made in collaboration with Ihsahn. I've never really been able to get into Trivium but I'm really enjoying this album, it's currently my AOTY.

Give this song a listen if you haven't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrRKl0JHB8
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1019 on: May 20, 2022, 08:32:31 PM »
I gave a few songs a listen.  Didn't really take with me.  I'm a little surprised you enjoy it but don't enjoy Trivium much. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: May 20, 2022, 08:37:02 PM »
Anyone else listened to the Ibaraki album that came out earlier this month? It's a Matt Heafy project he made in collaboration with Ihsahn. I've never really been able to get into Trivium but I'm really enjoying this album, it's currently my AOTY.

Give this song a listen if you haven't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrRKl0JHB8

Yeah, I didn't mind what I've heard.  I'll pick it up next time I'm out if it's instore.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1021 on: May 20, 2022, 09:01:03 PM »
I gave a few songs a listen.  Didn't really take with me.  I'm a little surprised you enjoy it but don't enjoy Trivium much.

I mostly checked it out because I'm a big Ihsahn fan, and I do hear his influence a lot on it (he did co-write some songs, apparently). A lot of the guitar riffs remind me of his solo albums.

Granted, I haven't heard much Trivium. I really wasn't impressed with them when they opened for Dream Theater back in 2011, but that was a long time ago. I loved Shogun (the song) when I got it in a roulette. I did listen to that album again recently and definitely didn't mind it; maybe a bit more Metallica-y than I'd like, but there was some decent stuff there outside of the title track. Going back to Ibaraki, the first proper song (Kagutsuchi) seems to be the most Trivium-sounding? It's a good song, but not one of my favorites.

If there are other albums I should be checking out, by all means, let me know.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1022 on: October 11, 2022, 02:08:52 PM »
I decided to make the 3hr trip down the highway to catch the Deadmen and Dragons tour last week. Was a top notch show. They swap out 3 of the slots in the setlist at each show, so there were a few surprises for me. One downer though was the inclusion of Amongst the Shadows and the Stone in place of Crisis of Revelation. I'm a big fan of Shadows, but Crisis is my favorite track from In the Court of the Dragons. Also, our show missed out on Like Light to Flies or Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation. Instead, our setlist got Pull Harder on the Strings of your Martyr. Good track, definitely a surprise, but not as good as either of the former options.

If this tour is hitting your city or one nearby, I highly recommend checking it out.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1023 on: October 11, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »
I知 seeing the Chicago show tomorrow, it値l be my first time seeing Trivium headline, but 5th overall. My bff and I are mainly going for BTBAM but we致e always talked about seeing Trivium headline one day. Guess this is it!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1024 on: October 11, 2022, 03:17:21 PM »
I知 seeing the Chicago show tomorrow, it値l be my first time seeing Trivium headline, but 5th overall. My bff and I are mainly going for BTBAM but we致e always talked about seeing Trivium headline one day. Guess this is it!

Aren't they playing Shogun on this tour? As my favourite Trivium song I'd go for that alone!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: October 11, 2022, 03:30:34 PM »
I decided to make the 3hr trip down the highway to catch the Deadmen and Dragons tour last week. Was a top notch show. They swap out 3 of the slots in the setlist at each show, so there were a few surprises for me. One downer though was the inclusion of Amongst the Shadows and the Stone in place of Crisis of Revelation. I'm a big fan of Shadows, but Crisis is my favorite track from In the Court of the Dragons. Also, our show missed out on Like Light to Flies or Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation. Instead, our setlist got Pull Harder on the Strings of your Martyr. Good track, definitely a surprise, but not as good as either of the former options.

If this tour is hitting your city or one nearby, I highly recommend checking it out.

Crisis is a wonderful track and has so much throwback to Ascendancy.  That's definitely a shame.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1026 on: October 11, 2022, 03:38:09 PM »

Aren't they playing Shogun on this tour? As my favourite Trivium song I'd go for that alone!

And their Shogun performance delivered lol!

BTBAM put on a great set, too. I hadn't really listened to them before, but they left me very intrigued. I've been digging into their discography a little this week.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: October 11, 2022, 03:44:46 PM »
BTBAM put on a great set, too. I hadn't really listened to them before, but they left me very intrigued. I've been digging into their discography a little this week.

I reckon you'd like them mate.  Colors is an all time classic.  Colors 2 was great and Parallax 1 and 2 are both incredible.