247 (40.4%)
It's good
198 (32.4%)
It's O.K.
107 (17.5%)
Never Enough
27 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 593

Author Topic: Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions  (Read 134262 times)

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

Re: Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions
« Reply #910 on: November 16, 2023, 08:39:25 PM »
James, just hit the Breaking The Fourth Wall version.

I just watched it, holy shit that was better than the album version!
In what way?
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #911 on: November 17, 2023, 06:04:38 PM »
Mangini is killing it in that song. So energetic. They crush every song on that DVD, I can’t get enough of it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #912 on: November 17, 2023, 06:15:41 PM »
Mangini is killing it in that song. So energetic. They crush every song on that DVD, I can’t get enough of it.

Yeah and some people say he has no feel. I can tell you when I say that live, I sure as hell felt it!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #913 on: November 18, 2023, 01:26:10 PM »
Black Clouds is their most underrated album in my opinion. It’s listenable from front to back and contains one of the better ballads they’ve ever done.

Regarding The Shattered Fortress- the song plays MUCH better live as a sort of 12 Step Medley. Live it feels like an epic in it’s own right and I remember that it got a HUGE crowd pop at the end when they played it on the Along for the Ride Tour 2014.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #914 on: November 19, 2023, 09:16:09 AM »

A truly epic performance and DVD!  :hefdaddy

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #915 on: November 19, 2023, 10:01:05 AM »

A truly epic performance and DVD!  :hefdaddy

I found the whole DVD on youtube. That is a really good setlist. And On the Backs of Angels is on here and sounds incredible.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #916 on: November 23, 2023, 09:01:43 PM »
Fun question... on Thanksgiving of 2008 (https://web.archive.org/web/20090523003820/http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2190508&mpage=1&key=&#2190508), MP apparently described BC&SL as "a Dream Theater album with 'A Change of Seasons', 'Octavarium', 'Learning to Live', 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Glass Prison' all on one album" in a post on his forum before the album released. The question is... which song would MP feel is which? Obviously Wither is left out since it doesn't match any of the songs he listed and he only listed 5 songs. Also, I think we can pretty reasonably assume that The Shattered Fortress corresponds to The Glass Prison (both 12SS songs) and Pull Me Under corresponds to Rite of Passage (both catchy singles).

This leaves A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, and Learning to Live to match with Nightmare to Remember, The Best of Times, and The Count of Tuscany. This is where things get funky. I want to say that A Change of Seasons matches up with The Best of Times due to a similar subject matter (death of MP parent) but the songs are so stylistically different otherwise. That would leave Learning to Live = A Nightmare to Remember and 8VM = Count of Tuscany in my opinion.

What does everyone else think?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #917 on: November 23, 2023, 09:17:01 PM »
Fun question... on Thanksgiving of 2008 (https://web.archive.org/web/20090523003820/http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2190508&mpage=1&key=&#2190508), MP apparently described BC&SL as "a Dream Theater album with 'A Change of Seasons', 'Octavarium', 'Learning to Live', 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Glass Prison' all on one album" in a post on his forum before the album released. The question is... which song would MP feel is which? Obviously Wither is left out since it doesn't match any of the songs he listedand he only listed 5 songs. Also, I think we can pretty reasonably assume that The Shattered Fortress corresponds to The Glass Prison (both 12SS songs) and Pull Me Under corresponds to Rite of Passage (both catchy singles).

This leaves A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, and Learning to Live to match with Nightmare to Remember, The Best of Times, and The Count of Tuscany. This is where things get funky. I want to say that A Change of Seasons matches up with The Best of Times due to a similar subject matter (death of MP parent) but the songs are so stylistically different otherwise. That would leave Learning to Live = A Nightmare to Remember and 8VM = Count of Tuscany in my opinion.

I think he was crazy when he posted that :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #918 on: November 23, 2023, 09:36:25 PM »

Well at least we know he wasn't drunk

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #919 on: November 23, 2023, 11:02:19 PM »
I think one could see The Count of Tuscany as a bit of a reverse Octavarium. The latter starts out really soft and mellow and takes about half the song before it gets into prog territory while TCoT starts out on the proggy side but then goes all soft and mellow in the 2nd half.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #920 on: November 23, 2023, 11:07:23 PM »

I don't see why so many people have a problem with Portnoy's statement back then. I always thought it had to do strictly with songs lengths. Octavarium and A Change of Seasons are both epic length songs, so are A Nightmare to Remember and The Count of Tuscany. Pull Me Under and A Rite of Passage are of similar lengths, as is The Glass Prison and The Shattered Fortress. Learning to Live and The Best of Times are pretty close too. A rough comparison of track lengths was my immediate interpretation of Portnoy's statement back then and I feel it was accurate enough.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #921 on: November 23, 2023, 11:17:01 PM »
Haha I remember that post all too well. Hype got through the roof after that (for me at least) and when the album arrived the expectations wasn't really calibrated 😅

I think BC&SL is great but def needed some extra polish and naming fan favorites like that wasn't a good idea imo. Sure it's an album filled with epics but the quality isn't consistent enough to match 8V, ACOS etc.

Also, remember the teaser? 😁 Sadly I can only find a split but it also added a lot of hype. Remember hearing the "turn the key" part pretty clearly from A Rite of Passage in the teaser and how awesome it sounded out of context. It is good in context as well but AROP was my biggest let down on the album. Really thought that was gonna be some cool epic stuff.

https://youtu.be/pnvy-WwtOcs?si=fhlsY4sAoTmcN_k_

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #922 on: November 23, 2023, 11:27:59 PM »

I remember that teaser vividly, geeking out about it while hanging out with a girlfriend who was just not into it at all. Based on the teaser, I thought I would not like the Beautiful Agony section, but it turned out to be one of the most beautiful moments on the album.

I also realized, only years later, why my then girlfriend always seemed sad when she commented about how I had pictures of my meet and greet with Dream Theater in my wallet. I think it was because I had pictures of DT but not of her :( I was dense back then.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #923 on: November 24, 2023, 12:04:37 AM »
I don't remember when song length was released but the statement didn't have any obvious relation to that if I remember. For me it related to length, structure, sound, quality and all that at the time.

I do remember them releasing the length and sort of codenames. The Pumpkin King being TCOT. Hype for Pumpkin King was intense 😁

TBH I think the album has everything to be sort of close to what he said. It's just that the album is so inconsistent in quality.

Like 8V is a 10/10 from start to 24 minutes later. There's ofc discussions about disjointed structure and sure, maybe it's a 9/10 at some points. ACOS is a 10/10 but def has some 9/10 sections for me. That's still great and doesn't change how much I love it

Then take TCOT. The intro and everything from the slow section until the end is clearly 10/10 for me. But the main riff & chorus section is more like 7 or 8/10. Lyrics is a bit silly and quality just doesn't match the rest. Still great song.

Night to Remember. Starts great but later on there's a couple of 6/10 parts that just drags down the song overall.

That's my biggest disappointment with BC&SL. If the quality was consistent and they gave it some extra polish I really think it would be up there with the best.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #924 on: November 24, 2023, 01:05:38 AM »
Fun question... on Thanksgiving of 2008 (https://web.archive.org/web/20090523003820/http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2190508&mpage=1&key=&#2190508), MP apparently described BC&SL as "a Dream Theater album with 'A Change of Seasons', 'Octavarium', 'Learning to Live', 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Glass Prison' all on one album" in a post on his forum before the album released. The question is... which song would MP feel is which? Obviously Wither is left out since it doesn't match any of the songs he listed and he only listed 5 songs. Also, I think we can pretty reasonably assume that The Shattered Fortress corresponds to The Glass Prison (both 12SS songs) and Pull Me Under corresponds to Rite of Passage (both catchy singles).

I remember that statement.  :lol

And let's face it, making a statement like that and then release the BCSL is absolutely hilarious.

Offline Rob24

« Reply #925 on: November 24, 2023, 04:37:42 AM »
I don't remember when song length was released but the statement didn't have any obvious relation to that if I remember. For me it related to length, structure, sound, quality and all that at the time.

I do remember them releasing the length and sort of codenames. The Pumpkin King being TCOT. Hype for Pumpkin King was intense 😁

TBH I think the album has everything to be sort of close to what he said. It's just that the album is so inconsistent in quality.

Like 8V is a 10/10 from start to 24 minutes later. There's ofc discussions about disjointed structure and sure, maybe it's a 9/10 at some points. ACOS is a 10/10 but def has some 9/10 sections for me. That's still great and doesn't change how much I love it

Then take TCOT. The intro and everything from the slow section until the end is clearly 10/10 for me. But the main riff & chorus section is more like 7 or 8/10. Lyrics is a bit silly and quality just doesn't match the rest. Still great song.

Night to Remember. Starts great but later on there's a couple of 6/10 parts that just drags down the song overall.

That's my biggest disappointment with BC&SL. If the quality was consistent and they gave it some extra polish I really think it would be up there with the best.

ITPOE is The Pumpkin King, not TCOT.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #926 on: November 24, 2023, 07:12:53 AM »

Well at least we know he wasn't drunk

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #927 on: November 24, 2023, 11:04:54 AM »
I also remember that statement and a lot of people being excited after it seemed like many people were not a fan of SC.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #928 on: November 24, 2023, 12:39:48 PM »

I remember that statement.  :lol

And let's face it, making a statement like that and then release the BCSL is absolutely hilarious.

To those that create the music, it's impossible to separate their excitement from reality, in any band.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #929 on: November 25, 2023, 05:30:00 AM »

ITPOE is The Pumpkin King, not TCOT.

Ohhhh you're right. Weird part is that even knowing you are right my memories connect it to TCOT.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #930 on: November 25, 2023, 07:01:19 AM »
That statement IS hilarious in retrospect. I am super he was super pumped about the music and to be sure there is some good music on BCSL. But comparing it to the best songs you've ever written is just going to create unrealistic expectations. Also, I just don't hear the comparison between any of the songs he cited.

A Change of Seasons is the greatest epic ever written so to even be seen as comparable, they'd have to have written something 2x better.