Author Topic: Charlie Dominici has passed away, age 72  (Read 5193 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Charlie Dominici has passed away, age 72
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2023, 12:44:15 AM »
RIP
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ruba

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2023, 04:20:30 AM »
Rest in Peace Charlie. When Dream and Day Unite is one of my favourite Dream Theater albums, in top three for sure. He was definitely an underrated singer.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2023, 06:48:09 AM »
Wow that kind of hits close to home.

I often think of bands in terms of eras.  Beatles and Stones: 60s; Zep and Sabbath (and many more): early 70s.    Kiss and Aerosmith and Rush:  late 70s.    Maiden and Def Leppard: 80s.  For better or worse, DT is a 90s band for me; when we start losing people from that era, you know you're old.

I’m the same way. Like it dawned on me if I had been a Beatle I would have already been almost 10 years deep into my fruitful but less successful solo career. Or if I had been in Metallica I would have cut my hair by now.  :-[

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2023, 07:35:06 AM »

https://blabbermouth.net/news/former-dream-theater-singer-charlie-dominici-dies

That article has an interesting story I've never heard before: Dominici's own take on his departure from Dream Theater. I never knew it was a mutual thing.

Thank you for this.

A big thank you for this as well:

RIP Charlie. MP shared this footage from the Charlie era this morning, pretty cool watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXfN5D8LzD4

Took a few sitdowns to watch it all.  First, pardon me for not knowing that 'To Live Forever' and 'Metropolis Pt1' (a pity the complete version wasn't shown) were performed on stage with Charlie.  ('like a dream from a memory'.......).  Second, just how good WDADU sounded live as opposed to the studio.  Third...damn, JM was quite lively on stage back then. :o
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2023, 04:04:20 PM »
A big part of DT lore. RIP Charlie Dominici.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2023, 04:52:02 PM »
First, pardon me for not knowing that 'To Live Forever' and 'Metropolis Pt1' (a pity the complete version wasn't shown) were performed on stage with Charlie.  ('like a dream from a memory'.......).  Second, just how good WDADU sounded live as opposed to the studio.

That was a treat to hear those two songs. Kinda funny I prefer 'To Live Forever' with Charlie. But easily JLBs version of 'Metropolis' is so much better.

But yeah I agree WDADU sound so much better live in this video than the album. I would kill to go back and see all this live because it was probably otherworldly. I've never truly given WDADU a fair shake because of the poor production. But I've been digging in more this weekend. With that video I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2023, 05:46:35 PM »
First, pardon me for not knowing that 'To Live Forever' and 'Metropolis Pt1' (a pity the complete version wasn't shown) were performed on stage with Charlie.  ('like a dream from a memory'.......).  Second, just how good WDADU sounded live as opposed to the studio.

That was a treat to hear those two songs. Kinda funny I prefer 'To Live Forever' with Charlie. But easily JLBs version of 'Metropolis' is so much better.

But yeah I agree WDADU sound so much better live in this video than the album. I would kill to go back and see all this live because it was probably otherworldly. I've never truly given WDADU a fair shake because of the poor production. But I've been digging in more this weekend. With that video I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.

I love that video.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2023, 07:59:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GpBuTWsta4

A Fortune in Lies with Dominici.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2023, 08:18:59 PM »
I forgot about that documentary. Haven't watched it since I first got that DVD way back when.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2023, 02:33:00 AM »
A Vision would be a great way to remember Dominici
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2023, 06:02:06 AM »

I'd love that, but given that most people in the audience won't have a clue about what they're playing, I doubt they'll ever play it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2023, 07:50:29 AM »
Doesn't that song predate Charlie?

I mean, if they are going to do "a song to honor Charlie", it seems like they would do one that was written while he was in the band.  Which, actually, would only be a couple.  I think Status Seeker, and then he did the final lyrics for Afterlife.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2023, 10:37:40 AM »

I mean, if they are going to do "a song to honor Charlie", it seems like they would do one that was written while he was in the band.  Which, actually, would only be a couple.  I think Status Seeker, and then he did the final lyrics for Afterlife.

Yeah that was Chris Collins. I'm so fucking crushed over this it took me time to process it. I reconnected with Charlie when he joined Solid Vision essentially making it his solo band right after I released The Hurricane by Solid Vision. He was a great dude. Heartbroken.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2023, 12:21:04 PM »
I don't think I knew he was that much older than the rest of the band.

R.I.P.

I thought the exact same thing.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »

The band re-recorded it with Charlie as part of a holiday demo they made for Mechanic Records staff during the waiting period when the band was waiting for the label to release their first album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2023, 11:46:11 PM »
My personal all time favorite are The Ones Who Help the Sun, and Light Fuse and Get Away. I will be spinning them in his honor.

RIP  :'(
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2023, 12:13:08 AM »
My personal all time favorite are The Ones Who Help the Sun, and Light Fuse and Get Away.

All time favorites from Dominici or you mean, overall? Just curious.

I checked 'I can remember when' again, so nice to see. Although Dominici only was 37 years, to the others he must have been sooo old, being just in the 20's themselves. Lifting Shadows wrote a lot over his departure, but never with a violence tone or everlasting arguments. It looks like Dominici understood the difference between him and the others and therefore stepped aside / was send home.

But he had an angel voice and I really love the debut.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2023, 08:41:56 AM »
RIP. I'm glad he got the chance to come back and perform with the band for WDADRU. I also really enjoyed that performance.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2023, 08:57:45 AM »

The band re-recorded it with Charlie as part of a holiday demo they made for Mechanic Records staff during the waiting period when the band was waiting for the label to release their first album.
Oh yeah, I knew that, sorry.  And that's the better version, no question.  I just knew it was written before he joined the band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2023, 09:09:59 AM »
My personal all time favorite are The Ones Who Help the Sun, and Light Fuse and Get Away.

All time favorites from Dominici or you mean, overall? Just curious.

I checked 'I can remember when' again, so nice to see. Although Dominici only was 37 years, to the others he must have been sooo old, being just in the 20's themselves. Lifting Shadows wrote a lot over his departure, but never with a violence tone or everlasting arguments. It looks like Dominici understood the difference between him and the others and therefore stepped aside / was send home.

But he had an angel voice and I really love the debut.

Just him. Those are my top 2 tracks from WDADU.

But if DT were to do a tribute song in-show, Afterlife would be the correct choice.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2023, 10:13:52 AM »
I heard the news about Charlie when I was traveling last week to deal with some stuff relating to my brother who died in October.  It seems really weird to me that Charlie was only 6 years younger than my brother, while I was born in the same year as the other four original members.  The notion of someone who was almost a contemporary of my brother being in a band with a bunch of guys my age is almost unfathomable (although I was aware previously that Charlie was much older than everyone else).

Adding my condolences to everyone else's.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2023, 07:20:54 PM »
Great singer. He did better on his own in my opinion. WDADU pushed him into territory he could not really handle. His work before and after DT was great, but he was essential in the early years of DT.

They should dedicate the next album and have a song for him, too!
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2023, 07:49:38 PM »
Great singer. He did better on his own in my opinion. WDADU pushed him into territory he could not really handle. His work before and after DT was great, but he was essential in the early years of DT.

I would be very surprised if they didn't dedicate it to him. Maybe they redo Afterlife as a bonus track?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2023, 07:54:43 PM »

I would be very surprised if they didn't dedicate it to him. Maybe they redo Afterlife as a bonus track?

I like that idea.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2023, 10:01:30 AM »

That article has an interesting story I've never heard before: Dominici's own take on his departure from Dream Theater. I never knew it was a mutual thing.

Also want to say thanks for this. I always thought it so odd how Charlie seemed to stay so in touch with them over the years. I had no idea on this backstory and it is nice to know.

I just completed the O3 trilogy as I was never able to procure the first record. Just got it yesterday in the mail. I know it is very different than 2 and 3 but I felt the time was right to complete it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2023, 11:26:35 AM »
Not sure if I need to hear them re-record anything, although definitely should include something in the setlist. If they want to release something as a tribute, maybe some archival material from his time in the band could be cool. Not sure what's out there in the way of live recordings, but I always enjoy getting glimpses of pre-LaBrie DT.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2023, 11:32:38 AM »

Also want to say thanks for this. I always thought it so odd how Charlie seemed to stay so in touch with them over the years. I had no idea on this backstory and it is nice to know.

I just completed the O3 trilogy as I was never able to procure the first record. Just got it yesterday in the mail. I know it is very different than 2 and 3 but I felt the time was right to complete it.

I just pulled out my copies of the whole trilogy the other night to look them over and realized my copy of O3 Part 1 was personalized (to me) and signed by Charlie himself, which I had completely forgotten about. Makes ti even sadder now that he's gone. I hadn't had a chance to spin them again but I might do that over this holiday break since I'll be off work.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2023, 12:23:50 PM »

I just pulled out my copies of the whole trilogy the other night to look them over and realized my copy of O3 Part 1 was personalized (to me) and signed by Charlie himself, which I had completely forgotten about. Makes ti even sadder now that he's gone. I hadn't had a chance to spin them again but I might do that over this holiday break since I'll be off work.

-Marc.

Got mine autographed and personalized too! Exchanged a few messages with him a while back. Cool guy.

Know what's weird? Turns out he died about a week before it was public and around that time I had an urge to look up live clips of him with his band. Really just out of the blue, obviously not knowing anything was wrong. There were very few on YouTube and the only ones I found I had already seen and I thought about how unfortunate it was.

A week later it was public that he died. Did the universe send me a message the moment he was gone? I don't really believe in that stuff but it sure was a sad coincidence.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2023, 11:01:05 PM »
pg1067, so sad your brother passed away as well, wish you the best in finding peace in this period of time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2023, 05:30:30 PM »
pg1067, so sad your brother passed away as well, wish you the best in finding peace in this period of time.

Thanks.  I appreciate that.  We weren't close, but there has been some interesting stuff to come out of this that I may post about at some point.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2023, 11:16:33 AM »
my fuckign nightmare
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline heirtoruin

• Drummer, Scientist, Teacher, Cook, Parent, Husband
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2023, 04:09:29 PM »
I played several of the Lost Not Forgotten WDADU demos on the way home from work... Charlie really sounded angelic on one of the AFIL tracks.
"Now we must focus on many things." ~Dr. Robert K. Yu (1938-2022)

https://silo1.bandcamp.com

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2023, 06:34:37 AM »
Thanks.  I appreciate that.  We weren't close, but there has been some interesting stuff to come out of this that I may post about at some point.

You're welcome, I really wonder what you mean, but I'll find out when time's ready.