247 (40.4%)
It's good
198 (32.4%)
It's O.K.
107 (17.5%)
Never Enough
27 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 593

Author Topic: Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions  (Read 133944 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:08:23 AM »
My feelings:

This album, stylistically, is very similar to its predecessor. And while that's not something to be all the excited about, something about Black Clouds seems so much more refreshed and energetic. Lyrically, it's not fantastic but it doesn't stick out like the sore thumb a'la Systematic Chaos. Musically, it's the best thing the band have done since Six Degrees.

Final Verdict:

1.)Scenes From a Memory
2.)Six Degrees
3.)Awake

4.)Black Clouds & Silver Linings
4.)Images and Words

6.)Train of Thought
6.)Octavarium

8.)Falling Into Infinity
9.)Systematic Chaos
10.)When Dream and Day Unite

My Review: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=2336.0

DISCUSS
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:34:56 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
Re: Black Clouds and Silver Linings: Reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »
It's up there with the best of them.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:36 AM »
Somewhere between good and up there with the best of them. I'd call it better than good, but still not up there with IaW/SDOIT/SFAM. But a strong album. I put my short review in the BCASL discussion thread.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:11 AM »
Still another 12 hours for us Yanks.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:34 AM »
It's up there with the best of them... The count Of Tuscany, one of DT's best album closers, a true epic song.

Steve

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »
It's up there with the best DT albums and currently battling SDOIT for 3rd place (and it looks like it's winning right now).

Review coming up, I hope I'll find to write it in the next couple of days.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:17:16 AM »
Fighting for 4th on my list at the moment with Awake.

The Best of Times solo is one of Petrucci's best for sure, and without fail every time I listen to the count of tuscany I get shivers, incidently tuscany is now my second favourite DT song.

It's everything plus more that I was hoping for! :metal

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:17:39 AM »

You just don't shop at the right stores! Or did you do a pre-order?

It's up there with the best DT albums and currently battling SDOIT for 3rd place.

Review coming up, I hope I'll find to write it in the next couple of days.

I agree. I want to put it up higher on my list but I'm scared of making overly brash statements.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:18:25 AM »
It's good.

Offline feehan

• I'm Finally Free
Re: Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 08:35:01 AM »
Up there with the best of them, bets since SFAM. i have really liked all the albums since SFAM aswell. TOT got me into DT in the first place.

Listening to The Count Of Tuscany is a pleasure especially from the ambient spacey section onwards. best end since ITNOG
Have tickets for Wembley :D

my label page www.littleravenrecords.blogspot.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 08:39:39 AM »
"A Nightmare to Remember," "The Best of Times" and "The Count of Tuscany" are some of their best songs of the 00s.

"A Nightmare to Remember" is a fantastic song, with a great mellow middle section, some cool vocal melodies, and some seriously badass playing by John Petrucci throughout.

"The Best of Times" manages to be beautiful, melancholy and wistful all at the same time, and without being cheesy at all.  JP's solo at the end is ridiculously great.

"The Count of Tuscany" is marvelous, despite the corny lyrics.  Great intro, and when it picks up right before the first vocals, that is one of the best riffs they have written in a long time.  Love, love, love the acoustic-driven vocal section near the end, and JLB's "woah"'s during the outro are just magnificent.

"Wither" is a wonderfully catchy song.

"A Rite of Passage" is good; good bridge and chorus.  I sometimes lose interest once the second chorus is over, as I think the extended instrumental section isn't overly memorable, but still, good song overall.

"The Shattered Fortress" is easily my least favorite.  I feel like too much of the song is taken from riffs and melodies from the previous AA songs (instead of it being a song with a few of them dotted here and there), and the new stuff isn't that great.  Not a bad song by any means.

Overall, 4/5 stars.  Not as great as the Big 3 (I&W, Awake, SFAM) or 6DOIT, but a massive upgrade over the previous three.  If it ages well, I could see it being my 5th favorite DT record (although comparing it to FII will be tough, as FII's highs are higher, but its lows are also lower).

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 08:44:53 AM »
It's good.

Your use of words astounds me  :lol

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:45 AM »
The only problem I have with the album is The Count of Tuscany's lyrics. Overall, a MUCH better album than SC :metal

4 thumbs up :neverusethis:

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 08:47:32 AM »
The only problem I have with the album is The Count of Tuscany's lyrics. Overall, a MUCH better album than SC :metal

I love them, it's crazy and goofy, but it's well done. The ending makes up for it though, easily.

ANTR - Didn't like it at first, was too random but you get used to it. The clean section of the song is beautiful, and easily the best part of the album.

AROP - Solid through and through, Constant Motion2.0, will be a good concert song.

Wither - Decent song, what you'd expect from any softer DT song.

The Shattered Fortress - Ultimately disappointed with the reuse of material, but it's very well done. The 2nd JP solo is fucking sweet.

TBOT - Some cringeworthy parts, but a great tribute to his father. The music is fantastic.

TCOT - Amazing. The first part is prog heaven, and the ending of the song is stunning; the only recent-DT era song I've teared up on. (oops, forgot about Vacant)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 08:47:50 AM »

I actually have more of a problem with the melodies than the lyrics, but it's a sort of double whammy. The melodies follow the chords too closely, and also I don't like spoken vocals (that goes for any artist, any song, not just DT or MP). Although the lyrics are a bit strange, I could handle them a lot better if the melodies were better. But I don't hate it. It just doesn't match up to the rest of the song, which is incredible.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »

I actually have more of a problem with the melodies than the lyrics, but it's a sort of double whammy. The melodies follow the chords too closely, and also I don't like spoken vocals (that goes for any artist, any song, not just DT or MP). Although the lyrics are a bit strange, I could handle them a lot better if the melodies were better. But I don't hate it. It just doesn't match up to the rest of the song, which is incredible.
Well, the lyrics don't bother me too much. It's just when they start trying to make them sound badass e.g. "SUCKING ON HIS PIPE".

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »

You just don't shop at the right stores! Or did you do a pre-order?
I pre-ordered, but there's currently 13 hours until it's June 23rd. I should get it later today, but I've kind of confused.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »

Well, the lyrics don't bother me too much. It's just when they start trying to make them sound badass e.g. "SUCKING ON HIS PIPE".

Yeah, as I said, I don't like spoken vocals. So that is the part that sort of kills it for me. The rest I don't have a huge problem with at all

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
You could almost say that part makes you...wither?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 08:52:03 AM »

And renders myself helpless.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »
"A Nightmare to Remember," "The Best of Times" and "The Count of Tuscany" are some of their best songs of the 00s.

"A Nightmare to Remember" is a fantastic song, with a great mellow middle section, some cool vocal melodies, and some seriously badass playing by John Petrucci throughout.

"The Best of Times" manages to be beautiful, melancholy and wistful all at the same time, and without being cheesy at all.  JP's solo at the end is ridiculously great.

"The Count of Tuscany" is marvelous, despite the corny lyrics.  Great intro, and when it picks up right before the first vocals, that is one of the best riffs they have written in a long time.  Love, love, love the acoustic-driven vocal section near the end, and JLB's "woah"'s during the outro are just magnificent.

"Wither" is a wonderfully catchy song.

"A Rite of Passage" is good; good bridge and chorus.  I sometimes lose interest once the second chorus is over, as I think the extended instrumental section isn't overly memorable, but still, good song overall.

"The Shattered Fortress" is easily my least favorite.  I feel like too much of the song is taken from riffs and melodies from the previous AA songs (instead of it being a song with a few of them dotted here and there), and the new stuff isn't that great.  Not a bad song by any means.

Overall, 4/5 stars.  Not as great as the Big 3 (I&W, Awake, SFAM) or 6DOIT, but a massive upgrade over the previous three.  If it ages well, I could see it being my 5th favorite DT record (although comparing it to FII will be tough, as FII's highs are higher, but its lows are also lower).
'

Well, this is certainly unexpected! It's nice to know, though! Let's me know this isn't just blind fanboyism!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 08:53:02 AM »

And renders myself helpless.
I break Pantera...I mean down

(At least I think it's "I break down". I haven't had a look at the lyrics yet).

Offline JLa

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 08:54:22 AM »
The chorus in "A Nightmare to Remember" (Hopelessly drifting...) is beyond amazing. I'm speechless.  :o

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »

AROP - Solid through and through, Constant Motion2.0, will be a good concert song.

Constant Motion2.0?  Hell no.  Those two songs are nothing alike, except in their structure (verse - chorus - verse - chorus - long instrumental section featuring a guitar solo first and keyboard solo second - chorus).

Well, this is certainly unexpected! It's nice to know, though! Let's me know this isn't just blind fanboyism!

I am probably one of the last people on this forum that you can expect blind fanboyism from. :lol  :biggrin:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »
expect*

or is it right. God dammit you're confusing me, kev.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 09:02:18 AM »
The chorus in "A Nightmare to Remember" (Hopelessly drifting...) is beyond amazing. I'm speechless.  :o
BATHING IN BEAUTIFUL AGGGONNNNYYY

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 09:07:49 AM »
After 3 listens, i'm saying that it has jumped over 6DOIT as my favorite album. I can't stop listening to it.  :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 09:08:42 AM »
This album is definitely a refinement of the Modern DT sound. Miles better than Systematic Chaos.

Track-by-track

A Nightmare To Remember - The first 8.5 minutes of this song are pure brilliance. The rest is good, but I feel it goes on for a few minutes too long. The MP rap is actually really fun and I don't mind it at all.

A Rite of Passage - Good single. I love the vocals in the verse and the chorus is truly good. The instrumental section (along with the bleeps and bloops) manages to keep my interest. I wish they had found a better way to transition into the final chorus, or better yet just eliminated it.

Wither - DT's best ballad of the last 7 or so years. Rudess really shines on this one. I love the sounds he uses in the instrumental break before the bridge.

The Shattered Fortress - I can see why people don't like this song, but I think it was constructed extremely skillfully. Has more "balls" than Constant Motion and The Dark Eternal Night combined, while also featuring one of the album's more emotional passages in the soft section. And try to tell me you didn't have a huge grin on your face at the end of the song with the TGP intro reprise.

The Best of Times - The most unfortunate song on the record. The lyrics really make this hard to listen to for me, which is a real shame because the music is VERY good. Petrucci's near three minute ride out solo is one of the best things he's done in years (and that is TRULY saying something). Rudess is also in top form here.

The Count of Tuscany - DT has recovered from their misstep of an album closer that was ITPOE, Pt. 2 with an epic that earns its place right up there with Octavarium and A Change of Seasons. And I'm just going to throw this out there and say I LOVE the lyrics. They combine the tongue-in-cheek fantasy stuff on Systematic Chaos and the "real life experience" lyrics of late into something really entertaining and silly. The last 3 minutes of this song is one of the best moments of the band's entire career.

Overall: 4/5

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 09:12:07 AM »

Constant Motion2.0?  Hell no.  Those two songs are nothing alike, except in their structure (verse - chorus - verse - chorus - long instrumental section featuring a guitar solo first and keyboard solo second - chorus).
Well, yes. I'm just saying that it's a solid rocker for me. Nothing mind blowing, but it's solid. (I like Constant Motion, so that doesn't apply for you)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 09:16:23 AM »
The Best of Times - The most unfortunate song on the record. The lyrics really make this hard to listen to for me, which is a real shame because the music is VERY good. Petrucci's near three minute ride out solo is one of the best things he's done in years (and that is TRULY saying something). Rudess is also in top form here.

I think the lyrics are a little too simplistic at times, but in general, they are not a detriment to the song, considering what it is about.  I like the nod back to ACOS with the "seize the day" line, and the way JLB sings, "These were the best of times," in the latter part of the song has a melancholy wistfulness to it that is very cool.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 09:18:58 AM »
I love BC&SL so much I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 09:21:07 AM »

I think the lyrics are a little too simplistic at times, but in general, they are not a detriment to the song, considering what it is about.  I like the nod back to ACOS with the "seize the day" line, and the way JLB sings, "These were the best of times," in the latter part of the song has a melancholy wistfulness to it that is very cool.
I like that part too. I guess the main part that spoils it for me is the "thank you for" section. I also think James falls flat in the beginning verses.

but holy shit that guitar solo. :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »

I think the lyrics are a little too simplistic at times, but in general, they are not a detriment to the song, considering what it is about.  I like the nod back to ACOS with the "seize the day" line, and the way JLB sings, "These were the best of times," in the latter part of the song has a melancholy wistfulness to it that is very cool.

I think the lyrics are fantastic; call them simple, but my heart melts when I hear James sing My heart is bleeding bad... but I'll be OK. Then again I watch a lot of anime so I'm used to and quite like sentimental cliches.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
and the way JLB sings, "These were the best of times," in the latter part of the song has a melancholy wistfulness to it that is very cool.

Interesting. I personally find that line/vocal melody quite cheesy.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:23 AM »
I'm going to review this album with food metaphors.

Some of the songs are mediocre sandwiches.  The Count of Tuscany is a mediocre sandwich with the mediocre spread really thin in the middle, but with luscious, fresh baked loaves of delicious bread.  The Best of Times has the mediocre spread a lot thicker, so that it sort of overwhelms the delicious bread taste.

Some songs are good sandwiches dipped in Mediocre au jus.  A Nightmare to Remember starts off really strong, and gets even better as you reach the middle of the sandwich, but then you reach the Mediocre sauce at about 8:30 and it only gets stronger as it moves towards the end.  The Shattered Fortress starts OK, remains OK until you hit that mediocre taste towards the end.

And some songs are jelly beans.  They're short, sort of sweet, but really fail to distinguish themselves either way.  Wither and a Rite of Passage fall into this category.

Overall, a decent album, but it can be difficult to listen to some songs because they tend to get dragged down one way or another.  However, definitely some brilliant parts, and one brilliant song in the Count.

3/5
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."