Author Topic: Writing Horror  (Read 623 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Writing Horror
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:46:56 PM »
As a writer I feel like one genre that is sort of a stumbling block for me is horror. I would really like to write horror, but I can't seem to do it properly.

Some of you may be thinking, "Hey, didn't you have an seventy page thread on here wherein you were writing horror?"

Yes, I suppose I did write in this thread, but looking back on it, it becomes apparent to me that what I was writing there was not all that scary. It was too tongue-in-cheek. I don't think anything in that thread was legitimately scary or disturbing, though if any of my readers remember otherwise I would love to hear it.

Anyway, coming off of that I tried to write the 'sequel' thread, this one, this time around trying to take myself more seriously. Less tongue-in-cheek, more psychological, hopefully more scary, but in the end it never took off and died.

So, what am I missing here? Can anyone who did follow the first thread tell me what might have made it scarier? Can any more experienced writers give some tips on writing horror? Any tips anyone can give would be appreciated  :biggrin:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Writing Horror
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:27 PM »
The only thing I can say is not be too literal and leave place to the reader's imagination.