Author Topic: The Arch Enemy thread  (Read 12698 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Arch Enemy thread
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2017, 06:15:42 AM »
Yeah, I know he's paying the bills being in AE, just wished he was utilised more.  Seems like he really has no connection to any of the members or the music IMO.  Don't know how I can say that, just get that feel.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2017, 09:27:31 AM »
When i heard Loomis joined the band i went and listened to War Eternal. It was an interesting album and all, but he should really be doing his own thing. Escpecially since he's clearly not a huge part in the writing of the new material, which is a huge waste of talent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
When i heard Loomis joined the band i went and listened to War Eternal. It was an interesting album and all, but he should really be doing his own thing. Escpecially since he's clearly not a huge part in the writing of the new material, which is a huge waste of talent.

Loomis isn't on War Eternal.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
This story is circulating on social media right now: https://www.metalblast.net/blog/how-i-got-banned-from-photographing-arch-enemy/

The band is in damage control mode: instead of admitting they were wrong and apologizing, they've disabled the comments on their Instagram and are frantically deleting FB comments. They couldn't stop the shitstorm on Twitter though, and the responses over there are brutal :lol https://twitter.com/archenemymetal/status/1077941605200527360

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2018, 01:34:44 PM »
I dunno. I read the whole thing. I kinda side with the band on this one. Guy seemed like a major douche.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
I was kinda on the photographer side, then someone on FB (public post, so you all can read it) gave a different approach and it kinda got my feelings mixed now. Maybe the band wasn't terribly wrong after all:

Read here
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
I disagree, if the article is basically accurate then the band acted with a huge amount of hypocrisy.

EDIT: Which isn't to say that the guy wasn't also fairly douchey. Both sides acted pretty unprofessionally as far as I can tell.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »
I dunno. I read the whole thing. I kinda side with the band on this one. Guy seemed like a major douche.

Mmm, I disagree. I think the band handled this more poorly than anyone else and at this point I think the onus is now on them to take the high road because the way they talked to the guy and acted like they were going to smear his reputation across the industry... really bad call. Alissa too should check herself, not too long ago she was a nobody. The photographer might have been aggressive with wanting the compensation initially but the band really comes off as smug, entitled, and disrespectful.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
Angela came off as really aggressive, I agree.

But I think (from what I remember) the initial messages he got from the band were fine (and I believe those were from sexy blue hair girl).

He was also extremely condescending in all of his messages. Adding in something about charity doesn't make his messages more palatable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
I dunno, the initial message came across ok tonally, but it did accuse him of "sending discontent emails" and claimed that their sponsors are allowed to use anyone's photos and that it's good for exposure, all the stuff that musicians (including Arch Enemy) rightly rail against when it comes to music. So I can understand why that frustrated him.

Like I said, he was douchey about it, but the band comes across much worse to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the original message also didn't say who it was from, which is really lame.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »
Hmm, either way it sounds like the band has become his............................................................................main form of exposure currently.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
:lol Indeed.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
I disagree, if the article is basically accurate then the band acted with a huge amount of hypocrisy.

EDIT: Which isn't to say that the guy wasn't also fairly douchey. Both sides acted pretty unprofessionally as far as I can tell.

Mmm, I disagree. I think the band handled this more poorly than anyone else and at this point I think the onus is now on them to take the high road because the way they talked to the guy and acted like they were going to smear his reputation across the industry... really bad call. Alissa too should check herself, not too long ago she was a nobody. The photographer might have been aggressive with wanting the compensation initially but the band really comes off as smug, entitled, and disrespectful.
Yup. Even if the guy was a bit abrasive, he had every right to ask for a compensation, since his work had essentially been used to promote a company without his consent. You wouldn't use a band's song in a radio ad with no permission and then go "well, you got exposure" when you're called out on it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »
IMO, both sides fucked up so it was never going to end well or look well for both.  When both react initially the way they did, there's always going to be hostility.  I dunno the ins and outs, but the guy seems like a bit of a wanker.  Saying that, the band has an image to uphold so once he kept pushing, maybe they should have gotten their legal team onto it to deal with him straight away so they don't take the bait like they did.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »
Angela came off as really aggressive, I agree.

But I think (from what I remember) the initial messages he got from the band were fine (and I believe those were from sexy blue hair girl).

He was also extremely condescending in all of his messages. Adding in something about charity doesn't make his messages more palatable.

I agree with that.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2018, 03:03:34 PM »
Found this on Reddit, apparently this kind of behavior is nothing new from Angela: https://mikaalavesa.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumat/AE/

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »

Yup. Even if the guy was a bit abrasive, he had every right to ask for a compensation, since his work had essentially been used to promote a company without his consent. You wouldn't use a band's song in a radio ad with no permission and then go "well, you got exposure" when you're called out on it.

This

Offline Adami

« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2018, 03:16:24 PM »
Found this on Reddit, apparently this kind of behavior is nothing new from Angela: https://mikaalavesa.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumat/AE/

Weird, since everything seemed to have worked out before Angela came in and banned the person.

Either way, her bad behavior doesn't excuse his (the guy in the original article) nor does his excuse hers.

They both be cunts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2018, 06:58:20 PM »
I feel like the charity thing was a mistake on his part. I understand if he wanted compensation for his photo but then he shouldn't have said "or give to this charity" because that felt like a public trap for AE in a way like "look at them, they wouldn't even give to charity, such monsters" and let the public shitstorm commence.

But I agree both parties handled this badly.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2018, 07:22:37 PM »

This

This this. I've read the entire exchange and even if going out on a limb and saying the guy was being "douchey" he was in the right and they were in the wrong. Stealing is not cool. I say that as a fan of Arch Enemy, although this entire fiasco is very disappointing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2018, 09:19:39 PM »
I've not been able to look into this whole thing as much as I'd like, but if I've gathered one thing it's that I think so much of this drama could be better avoided if there was better discussed terms and conditions, or whatever you want to call them, associated with photo passes. A full understanding up front of who can do what with the photos taken with an approved pass could go a long way.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2021, 04:08:55 PM »
Arch Enemy - Deceiver, Deceiver (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Love the punky verse followed by the 16th kicks.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2021, 05:49:20 AM »
1. None of us know what the terms and conditions were in whatever contract this guy signed to take authorised photos at this festival. Yes, as a general principle photographers own the image, but he might well have contracted this away.

2. Quite like that new song - excited to hear the album!

3. Is it sexist of me in these "hashtag me too" times to wonder exactly how much money I would pay to lick chocolate syrup off Alissa's stomach? Perhaps I could donate the money to charity???
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 05:54:30 AM by The Curious Orange »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2021, 11:31:05 AM »
It's fascinating how polarizing they've become in various corners of the internet.  People seem positive so far here, but in other places people are just savaging this track.  I'm a bit more neutral.  I think they've been coasting for quite awhile now, and Loomis's gifts aren't being nearly well-utilized enough, but I kind of like the energy of the track, and those D-beat sections are a nice touch that they don't incorporate often enough.  They haven't made a full album that has connected with me since Rise of the Tyrant, but I'd like to think they could pull it off again. 

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
For me, the new track is about as good as anything off Khaos Legions. I think I am with a lot of fans in saying that they peaked with Wages Of Sin.

I personally find Armageddon more interesting than Arch Enemy nowadays.

And they waste Loomis.

But, they are one of the progenitors of the genre, so they are worth respect. And their music is fun, so that is a plus. My fav albums are Wages Of Sin and Doomsday machine.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2021, 01:24:02 PM »
To me they're a band that doesn't have a definitive best album.  I prefer Angela to Johan, and I think her albums hit higher heights, but aren't as consistently good as the Liiva albums.  The past dozen years have been mostly a series of disappointments.  Nothing on Khaos Legions connected with me, War Eternal was step back up, but Alissa seemed a bit monotone compared to her work in The Agonist, and then having Loomis join only to contribute solos and not be involved at all in the songwriting has been aggravating.  It might be more tolerable if he'd been busy with other projects, but all he's really been doing is guest solos on other band's albums as well, he's just a hired gun now.  Hopefully his third solo album and work with Alcatrazz turns out to be rejuvenated.  Still, the primary determinant of the quality of the next Arch Enemy album seems to be how inspired Michael is at this point. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:34:47 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »
To me they're a band that doesn't have a definitive best album.  I prefer Angela to Johan, and I think her albums hit higher heights, but aren't as consistently good as the Liiva albums.  The past dozen years have been mostly a series of disappointments.  Nothing on Khaos Legions connected with me, War Eternal was step back up, but Alissa seemed a bit monotone compared to her work in The Agonist, and then having Loomis join only to contribute solos and not be involved at all in the songwriting has been aggravating.  It might be more tolerable if he'd been busy with other projects, but all he's really been doing is guest solos on other band's albums as well, he's just a hired gun now.  Hopefully his third solo album and work with Alcatrazz turns out to be rejuvenated.  Still, the primary determinant of the quality of the next Arch Enemy album seems to be how inspired Michael is at this point.

I could be wrong, but hasn't that always kind of been the case?  I've always felt that Michael kind of is AE.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2021, 03:51:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm just highlighting that because Alissa and Jeff get the bulk of the discussion at this point online.  I don't like Alissa as much as Angela and think she's being underused, but she's not the reason they're in something of a slump.  And Jeff isn't making them worse, even by only tracking solos he's a better guitarist than Chris, as good as he was.  Sharlee is always solid, and Daniel is kind of overlooked. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2021, 04:01:07 PM »
Hmmm....off topic but I may take Chris over Jeff.  I've just always loved his playing.  But then I think of some Nevermore solos and go......ah yes, this guy is amazing.

I've haven't really liked anything since Tyrant, which may be my fav AE album truthfully.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »
Wow these two new singles from Arch Enemy are absolutely killer.  They’re a band I’ve tried to get into before as I liked them instrumentally and think it’s a cool name for a band (stupid reason, I know!) but couldn’t get past the harsh vocals.  For some reason, these two new ones have really hit me hard, absolutely love them.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2021, 04:12:43 PM »
The new songs sound good, and like...Arch Enemy.   Looking forward to hearing more!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2021, 04:21:43 PM »
I'm hoping Jeff is featured more on other tracks.  He just gets two tiny "solos" on these two so far. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2021, 04:43:58 PM »
I'm not that fond of the two new songs truthfully.  They may grow but just sounds like more of the same that they've been doing lately that hasn't really interested me.

Offline Corlis

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2021, 06:06:28 PM »
Arch Enemy is a band that tries to be too many things at once, and it just doesn't fit together for me. Most songs start heavy and mean then devolve into the soppiest, mellowest slow crap imaginable.

It sucks, since Jeff Loomis is my favorite guitarist on the planet. I wish he played in a more badass band. But you can't argue with Arch Enemy's fame.

Hmmm....off topic but I may take Chris over Jeff.  I've just always loved his playing.  But then I think of some Nevermore solos and go......ah yes, this guy is amazing.

I met Chris Broderick a few years ago and got one of his picks. Thick, solid, unbendable pick. It totally explains why his solos have so much attack.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2021, 06:34:23 PM »
Broderick is indeed great but I was actually referring to Amott.

Id by far take Loomis over Broderick.