Poll

Which album do you prefer?

Into the Electric Castle
The Human Equation

Voting closes: May 14, 2028, 06:26:25 AM

Author Topic: Into the Electric Castle vs The Human Equation (AYREON)  (Read 1073 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Into the Electric Castle vs The Human Equation (AYREON)
« on: August 02, 2022, 06:26:25 AM »
My preference is still Into the Electric Castle, but it's closer than it used to be.  I used to resist the idea of THE being a top level album, but I finally got there with it in the last year or so. However, ... Electric Castle is still the best.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Into the Electric Castle vs The Human Equation (AYREON)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 06:30:10 AM »
Into The Electric Castle is my favourite Ayreon album. The Human Equation hasn't really grabbed me the same way, despite having JLB as the main vocalist.

I explored his discography last year, and Electric Castle stood out for me right away.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 06:34:06 AM »
THE.  No contest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 07:18:56 AM »
THE.  No contest.

This.

Who cares if THE is more accessible. I love it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 07:26:44 AM »
I can’t choose between them, they’re really very different albums.

The standout tracks are probably stronger on Electric Castle, but I love the whole Human Equation experience and have much less that I find myself skipping with THE. But all up, I don’t think I could choose.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 07:37:45 AM »
I love them both. Today I’d vote for ITEC but tomorrow? Who knows.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 08:20:55 AM »
I'm still going with THE.  I was recommended ITEC by Chad and it was solid on first listen, then sort of fell off (I like 01011001 better than both) but it's grown on me.  They are both close, but I'm giving the nod to THE. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 08:45:42 AM »
I love both. Human Equation was my first Ayreon album, but Electric Castle is where its at.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 09:18:00 AM »
They're pretty close to tied for me.  THE has more vocalists I like, but ITEC has more classic songs. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »
THE.

It really captures the "progressive metal" moment for me - JLB, Devin, Mikael, Mike Baker - in a way that ItEC doesn't. Arjen got these guys just in time too, I think. It wouldn't be as special to do it now, or even a few years later.

ItEC may be the better album in a lot of ways, but it just doesn't feel as special.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 09:43:56 AM »
The
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 11:50:19 AM »
The Human Equation, pretty easily. I find ItEC too cheesy, and I have a hard time getting into the second disc.

However, I would put 01011001 and The Source above both.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 11:04:20 AM »
Favorite song on the two albums?

On THE it's easily "Isolation".  Akerfeldt, Clayton, Irene, and Findlay in particular have great parts.  Even JLB continues his trend of sounding better outside of DT than in their main output itself.  Arjen has a knack for getting the most out of vocalists.  His first usage of the 7-string guitar, juicy Hammond parts, Goosens' flute passages, that killer Moog section with the sweeping, evolving timbres, one of Arjen's better solos, which turns into a duel and harmony with Joost, it's easily my most played song from the album. 

On ITEC it has to be "Amazing Flight".  Stellar production with that great groove with the crunchy electric, Hammond, and a great pocket from Warby.  Cool choral part punctuated by Feggelen, then into Sharon's floating vocals, all the dueling guitar, synthesizer, piano, flute, and acoustic guitar solos, and another outstanding ride groove from Warby at 7:07. 

As a bonus, "Valley of the Queens" has become such a staple of Arjen's material.  Anneke's original is splendid, but it also launched superb versions from Floor, Marcela, and Marjan. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 11:47:21 AM »
THE is my #2 Album of All Time.  ITEC made the top 40, if I recall though.  Top 2 Ayreon albums without a doubt, but THE gets the nod.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 11:49:19 AM »
With the exception of the heavy Devy songs (mostly Loser), I prefer the live version of THE. The album production just always rubs me the wrong way and I'm not sure I can articulate exactly why.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 12:17:21 PM »
As much as I love Anneke, having her replace Akerfeldt's vocal parts just didn't work for me.  Particularly the parts with growls, having them be more melodic, and maybe with Oosthoek doing backing growls like on "Trauma" really reduced the effectiveness of the parts to me.  The section with "Then you hear his voice, cold and merciless.  You worthless fool, you let her die" was one of my favorite line deliveries in all of Akerfeldt's oeuvre. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 12:25:01 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 03:41:31 PM »
With the exception of the heavy Devy songs (mostly Loser), I prefer the live version of THE. The album production just always rubs me the wrong way and I'm not sure I can articulate exactly why.

I've always felt like the drum sound on THE wasn't as great as the previous Ayreon albums. I still think that, but everything else is good enough to where I can live with it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 03:43:10 PM »
THE is my #2 Album of All Time.

I'm not an Ayreon fanboy by any means, but I can respect this.  There's just something about this album that is fucking amazing from start to finish.  The atmosphere and feel of the whole thing is immense.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 06:46:02 PM »
I haven't listened to either in a really long time, but I do recall not enjoying some of the male vocal parts on ItEC. I haven't listened to THE is years either. I got a long road trip coming up; will add those to the queue.

Neither are among my favorite or most listened to Ayreon albums, nor does either have any of my favorite Ayreon songs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 08:28:08 PM »
ITEC

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2022, 08:29:21 PM »

I've always felt like the drum sound on THE wasn't as great as the previous Ayreon albums. I still think that, but everything else is good enough to where I can live with it.

It definitely is largely the drums, but whole album just has a weird tinny sound. Hard to describe, but the live version is a big improvement. Sadly the lack of Akerfeldt and Devy is a big knock.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ErHaO

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 03:49:58 AM »
Used to be ITEC for me. But after the liveshow and listening to THE a lot, THE wins for me. They are incredibly close though and both offer a different experience. I do think THE is also helped by having a relatable emotional core on top of the music. I know Arjen isn't the greatest writer, but it just works really well with the music on THE.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 08:51:32 AM »
I voted for THE. I do enjoy ITEC quite a bit and it's probably in my Top 3 Ayreon albums but THE was one of the first Ayreon albums I ever listened to, and it was their newest album when I discovered them, so it got a LOT of play when I got into the band/Arjen's music.

I really love the vocal interplay in THE, the way the characters come and go, the amount of duets and trios, etc. There's some of that in ITEC, but it feels very much like "This is so-and-so's song, and next is another's song, etc. etc." Whereas THE has a central character and everyone else circles around him, and JLB gives one of his best vocal performances on any album ever.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 08:26:43 PM »
I gave THE a good listen on my flight last weekend, and musically there just isn't much there for me. It is by no means bad; there's just so much Ayreon I like more.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'