Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66141 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #455 on: August 03, 2021, 06:25:47 AM »
When you consider that Neal probably doesn't want to return to having a whole tour reliant on Deen not falling off the wagon again , it probably makes more sense.

I thought of this too.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #456 on: August 03, 2021, 06:33:33 AM »
When you consider that Neal probably doesn't want to return to having a whole tour reliant on Deen not falling off the wagon again , it probably makes more sense.
I could see if it was 6 months after Deen had his issues.  He's been sober for years and has put out 3 Revolution Saints albums (where he's the singer and drummer), a Gioeli-Castronovo album and been a touring/recording member of the Dead Daisies for 4 years.

Regardless, whatever the reason, I'm happy to see him back.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #457 on: August 03, 2021, 07:59:10 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/journey-returns-to-live-stage-with-revamped-lineup-featuring-deen-castronovo-marco-mendoza-video/
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/journey/2021/aragon-ballroom-chicago-il-38f21a3.html
An extensive setlist. I hope Deen is singing some songs at least! I don't see Journey needing 2 drummers, but I really like that Deen is back in the band.

edit: Deen is singing Who's Crying Now, Mother Father, Open Arms and Faithfully (setlists photo, apparently from Jon’s Instagram account).

I’ve just watched videos from the show.  Arnel sang Open Arms, Faithfully and Who’s Crying Now.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #458 on: August 03, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
I’ve just watched videos from the show.  Arnel sang Open Arms, Faithfully and Who’s Crying Now.

Yeah, I think "Mother, Father" was the only song Deen sang.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #459 on: August 03, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »

And he sang that back in the day as well if memory serves me correctly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #460 on: August 03, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »

And he sang that back in the day as well if memory serves me correctly.
You are correct, sir!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #461 on: April 26, 2022, 07:49:19 PM »
New song, same Journey….

https://youtu.be/hxW9ALoYlds

Better than the other new song they released quite a few months ago, probably goes on too long.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline HOF

« Reply #462 on: April 26, 2022, 08:07:30 PM »
New song, same Journey….

https://youtu.be/hxW9ALoYlds

Better than the other new song they released quite a few months ago, probably goes on too long.

I like the song but there is something off about the performance. Feels like the drums are slightly behind tempo or something (and very boxy sounding, though I was listening on iPhone speakers). Especially on the chorus the band just don’t sound synced up.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #463 on: April 26, 2022, 09:33:29 PM »
All I saw on the Facebook post were people commenting on how bad the mix was. Haven't heard the song yet. Is it that bad?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: April 26, 2022, 09:39:07 PM »
All I saw on the Facebook post were people commenting on how bad the mix was. Haven't heard the song yet. Is it that bad?

Yes , but apparently there's a very inconsistent mix across the album , so some tracks sound a lot better than others  ???
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #465 on: April 26, 2022, 10:24:02 PM »
That is extremely weird.  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #466 on: April 26, 2022, 10:34:07 PM »
I don't know if this has anything to do with the final mix, but that YouTube video lists 5 different sound engineers for that one song (maybe all the instruments were tracked in separate places?). Wonder if the mixing was done by several different people as well resulting in an inconsistent album.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #467 on: May 17, 2022, 08:07:04 AM »
Another new song has been released - "Let it Rain"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMDpx-jcdKA&t=1s
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:12:44 AM by Deathless »

Offline emtee

« Reply #468 on: May 17, 2022, 01:38:02 PM »
This will be the first Journey album I'm not buying. Have not liked any of the new songs.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #469 on: May 17, 2022, 02:44:48 PM »
This will be the first Journey album I'm not buying. Have not liked any of the new songs.

I enjoyed this one the most, even though it sounds the least like a classic Journey song (at least vocally to me). It's been hit-or-miss so far, which is a bummer considering this will likely be their last album right?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #470 on: May 17, 2022, 06:37:09 PM »

I thought I was listening to Lenny Kravitz..  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: May 17, 2022, 06:42:50 PM »
Yeah..........this album is shaping up as a total shambles in all departments.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #472 on: May 17, 2022, 10:20:33 PM »
I enjoyed this one the most, even though it sounds the least like a classic Journey song (at least vocally to me). It's been hit-or-miss so far, which is a bummer considering this will likely be their last album right?

After Arnel joined, it really seemed like they hit the ground running with the 2008 album and the 2011 album. And then... we just stopped getting albums. I figured they just liked playing the classics live more. I was honestly surprised that this line-up is putting out another studio album after an eleven-year gap.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2022, 05:45:22 AM »
If you didn’t tell me that was a Journey song I would have never guessed.

Different for sure.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2022, 08:58:42 AM »

After Arnel joined, it really seemed like they hit the ground running with the 2008 album and the 2011 album. And then... we just stopped getting albums. I figured they just liked playing the classics live more. I was honestly surprised that this line-up is putting out another studio album after an eleven-year gap.

I remember hearing at some point that Neal Schon was disappointed by the reaction to Eclipse and decided to focus on the older material instead of releasing new albums. I have no idea if that is true or not and I don't have a source other than I heard/read it years ago somewhere.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #475 on: May 18, 2022, 12:10:33 PM »
I thought it was Jonathan Cain who wanted to focus on just playing their catalog rather than writing new music.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #476 on: May 18, 2022, 02:09:04 PM »
I think it’s correct and Neal was the one who wanted to release new material. That, among other things, was one of the main reasons for the tension between them in recent years.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #477 on: July 14, 2022, 07:46:00 PM »
I listened to the new album a few days ago and still can't get over how shit the production is.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2022, 01:51:18 AM »
I listened to half of it and fell asleep. Can‘t believe that this is the best they have to offer after so many years.

And yes, the production is awful.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline HOF

« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2022, 06:07:08 PM »
Rick Beato breaks down his favorite Journey song, which happens to be one of if not my favorite Journey songs as well, Still They Ride.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2e3H0-JyF-58181yoKbLNkWGQTHXLKNZbr4AOu4R2nPJhhQU6pjdQf2m8&v=YTTZStAK8Hk&feature=youtu.be

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #480 on: August 15, 2022, 07:49:15 AM »
Rick Beato breaks down his favorite Journey song, which happens to be one of if not my favorite Journey songs as well, Still They Ride.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2e3H0-JyF-58181yoKbLNkWGQTHXLKNZbr4AOu4R2nPJhhQU6pjdQf2m8&v=YTTZStAK8Hk&feature=youtu.be
Yep, saw that yesterday.

I always knew it was a great song (probably my favorite Journey song), but it's nice to see proof of how it's so awesome lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: August 15, 2022, 08:01:59 AM »
It's hard to beat Separate Ways though :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #482 on: August 15, 2022, 08:06:08 AM »

Well, I’ve got a video to share for that too!

Steve Smith demos the drum parts for Separate Ways:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlhFv0CdGY

Offline nick_z

« Reply #483 on: August 15, 2022, 08:33:53 PM »

Well, I’ve got a video to share for that too!

Steve Smith demos the drum parts for Separate Ways:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlhFv0CdGY

Ha! You beat me to it. Watched this too, a few days ago. Love his drumming so much.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #484 on: August 15, 2022, 08:43:57 PM »

I thought I was listening to Lenny Kravitz..  :lol

What the hell?? I would have never guessed this was Journey. Yikes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2022, 08:46:46 PM »
I listened to the new album today. Huge disappointment.  Eclipse was a revelation for me.  The new album is so boring to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2022, 08:55:36 PM »
It’s great if people get enjoyment out of Journey as an ongoing venture, but I’m satisfied with the catalog up through when Perry left. I did pick up Eclipse just to give Arnel a chance, but it didn’t land for me.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #487 on: August 16, 2022, 08:19:42 AM »
I think with Arnel and before that with Augeri they released some good records, not groundbreaking and not as good as Escape & Frontiers but still enjoyable. But this new one has nothing that is worth listening imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Deathless

« Reply #488 on: August 16, 2022, 08:23:30 AM »
IMO there is a mix of good/okay/bad tunes on the new record but the production is shit, and that's a big problem. Schon would have been better off not co-producing it and getting an external producer but I know that would never happen.

I am hoping they add more songs to their setlist because I think some of them will be good live. Hoping to catch a show if they tour in the fall or spring of '23.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #489 on: August 16, 2022, 11:43:12 AM »
I tried. It’s bland and boring.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?