Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66937 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #595 on: August 02, 2023, 09:07:22 AM »
By the way, I bought the DVD/3CD version of "Journey Through Time" from Amazon, and I sort of get why Gregg might be a little pissed.   It's under Neal's name only.

This is the cover, which has Gregg Rolie's name in slightly larger font:

But everything else (including the spine) has only Neal Schon's name:

Offline HOF

« Reply #596 on: August 02, 2023, 09:41:22 AM »
But wasn't the tour always billed as "Neal Schon's Journey Through Time"? It certainly wasn't "Neal Schon and Gregg Rollie's Journey Through Time." It's Neal's release, so why wouldn't it have his name on it at the top?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #597 on: August 02, 2023, 09:41:58 AM »
I'm more of the thinking that that was a Frontiers thing. They probably figured putting Neal's name in big letters would be more marketable. When I ripped the audio, I set the artist as Journey Through Time. Of course, Neal hasn't looked great in the press lately so it could have been him for all I know. Just glad this was released either way seeing as yet another bridge might have been burned.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 12:14:34 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: August 02, 2023, 10:31:17 AM »
I'm not arguing either way, I just sort of assumed it was a band thing, "Journey Through Time", not "Neal Schon's Journey Through Time".  I thought part of the attraction was Neal and Gregg together again, and so thought it was sort of... I don't know.  Not misleading, but maybe less than generous?

Offline HOF

« Reply #599 on: August 02, 2023, 10:43:19 AM »
It looks like the artwork for the CD/DVD is the same image that they have been using since 2018 (branded as "Neal Schon's Journey Through Time).

https://twitter.com/JourneyThTime/status/1075199073366495234?s=20

And here is a tour advertisement from 2019:

So Gregg's name is a little bigger on the CD art than on the tour art!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: August 02, 2023, 11:29:10 AM »
Well, that blows my theory out of the water.  Nothing new to see here!   :) :) :) :)

Psyched to hear this though; that song list is amazing (30 songs!).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 11:40:00 AM by Stadler »

Offline HOF

« Reply #601 on: August 02, 2023, 12:31:22 PM »
Well, that blows my theory out of the water.  Nothing new to see here!   :) :) :) :)

Psyched to hear this though; that song list is amazing (30 songs!).

I am interested to hear how you like it. Not sure if it's something I would spring for, but if the performance is good I may at least stream it and see.

Offline HOF

« Reply #602 on: August 08, 2023, 03:08:17 PM »
This is random and not related to anything other than I just saw this 1980 Kansas album cover for the first time (that I know of).

I even checked, but it wasn’t the same guy who illustrated Frontiers. Seems like this couldn’t be a total coincidence, given the popularity of both bands and their familiarity with each other.

Maybe it was partly turn about for I’m Gonna Leave You/Carry On Wayward Son, though I think Perry kind of took over the direction of the artwork on this one (and he wasn’t in the band when they did I’m Gonna Leave You so I doubt he cared).

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #603 on: August 09, 2023, 12:58:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtgvZreimGI over here we have Rick Beato analysing Neal Schon's solo during Send Her My Love, smart chord structure and note choice
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline HOF

« Reply #604 on: February 11, 2024, 03:19:25 PM »
Everyone else is watching the Super Bowl this evening, but I put together a playlist of "prog" Journey songs to listen to instead!. Partly inspired by finally picking up a copy of the Dream, After Dream soundtrack, which really is an essential listen if you haven't heard it.

Intentionally avoiding some of the more well-known songs that could be described as a little proggy (for instance, I always thought Stone in Love took a pretty proggy turn on the outro). Also wanted to include something from every album of the original Rollie and Perry run, so some of these are a bit more "unusual" or non-standard pop/rock than prog, but you get the idea.

1. Of A Liftetime
2. Kahoutek
3. Topez
4. Look Into the Future
5. People
6. Nickel & Dime
7. Cookie Duster
8. Winds of March
9. Daydream
10-11. Departure/Good Morning Girl
12. Destiny
13. Sandcastles
14. Moon Theme
15. Little Girl
16. Mother, Father
17. La Raza del Sol
18. Troubled Child
19. Frontiers
20. The Eyes of a Woman
21. One More
22. Trial by Fire

Offline HOF

« Reply #605 on: February 11, 2024, 10:18:55 PM »
Frontiers would have been the best Journey album with this track list (it might be anyway):

1. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
2. Send Her My Love
3. Only The Young
4. Faithfully
5. Only Solutions
6. Edge of the Blade
7. Troubled Child
8. Ask The Lonely
9. Frontiers
10. Rubicon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: February 12, 2024, 02:49:14 AM »
Not the biggest Journey fan but Frontiers is spectacular.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #607 on: February 12, 2024, 04:26:22 AM »
I would give the nod to Escape for best Journey album but Frontiers is close.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #608 on: February 12, 2024, 07:01:03 AM »
Frontiers would have been the best Journey album with this track list (it might be anyway):

1. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
2. Send Her My Love
3. Only The Young
4. Faithfully
5. Only Solutions
6. Edge of the Blade
7. Troubled Child
8. Ask The Lonely
9. Frontiers
10. Rubicon

I'll second this!

I will never understand how anyone involved with the band heard 'Only the Young' and didn't immediately think it belonged on the album.

Offline emtee

« Reply #609 on: February 12, 2024, 07:33:02 AM »
Daydream is an underrated gem. Love that song.

Offline HOF

« Reply #610 on: February 12, 2024, 07:45:34 AM »
Daydream is an underrated gem. Love that song.

Yes! Very cool song, and the only song I can think of where Journey employed that sort of synth sound.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: February 12, 2024, 11:35:12 AM »
Everyone else is watching the Super Bowl this evening, but I put together a playlist of "prog" Journey songs to listen to instead!. Partly inspired by finally picking up a copy of the Dream, After Dream soundtrack, which really is an essential listen if you haven't heard it.

Intentionally avoiding some of the more well-known songs that could be described as a little proggy (for instance, I always thought Stone in Love took a pretty proggy turn on the outro). Also wanted to include something from every album of the original Rollie and Perry run, so some of these are a bit more "unusual" or non-standard pop/rock than prog, but you get the idea.

1. Of A Liftetime
2. Kahoutek
3. Topez
4. Look Into the Future
5. People
6. Nickel & Dime
7. Cookie Duster
8. Winds of March
9. Daydream
12. Destiny
13. Sandcastles
14. Moon Theme
15. Little Girl
16. Mother, Father
17. La Raza del Sol
18. Troubled Child
19. Frontiers
20. The Eyes of a Woman
21. One More
22. Trial by Fire

Do you have the live album that Neal and Gregg did not long ago?  It - as the kids say - SLAPS and it's got a bunch of the older, proggier songs.

And I'm sorry, but in terms of song form and construction, "Don't Stop Believin'" is as prog as it gets.  3:00 in before you get even close to the chorus?  A pre-chorus with no chorus?  A chorus only played once?   Verses with four lines and a chorus - when it gets there - with only three lines?   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #612 on: February 12, 2024, 12:22:55 PM »
Do you have the live album that Neal and Gregg did not long ago?  It - as the kids say - SLAPS and it's got a bunch of the older, proggier songs.
Yes.  Very good stuff.

And I'm sorry, but in terms of song form and construction, "Don't Stop Believin'" is as prog as it gets.  3:00 in before you get even close to the chorus?  A pre-chorus with no chorus?  A chorus only played once?   Verses with four lines and a chorus - when it gets there - with only three lines?
??? 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #613 on: February 12, 2024, 12:31:21 PM »

1. Of A Liftetime
2. Kahoutek
3. Topez
4. Look Into the Future
5. People
6. Nickel & Dime
7. Cookie Duster
8. Winds of March
9. Daydream
12. Destiny
13. Sandcastles
14. Moon Theme
15. Little Girl
16. Mother, Father
17. La Raza del Sol
18. Troubled Child
19. Frontiers
20. The Eyes of a Woman
21. One More
22. Trial by Fire

I don’t have it, but have been meaning to check it out.

As for leaving Don’t Stop Believin’ off, as I said I was trying to stay away from the hits, even though I agree there is a lot of sophistication and even some progginess in those (Separate Ways is another).

The impetuous for this was actually Steven Wilson’s podcast where he was talking about how he doesn’t really know any Journey. I started thinking about how there is probably a good chunk of the Journey catalog that he would find interesting, particularly the pre-Perry stuff and Dream, After Dream. But then I started thinking how Journey always kept just enough of that prog element to be interesting from album to album. In fact I’d say Journey did a good job of “progressing” from album to album in the sense that they didn’t totally repeat themselves. Maybe not so much on the Infinity-Departure run, but certainly Escape, Frontiers, and Raised on Radio showed the band trying new things with each release.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #614 on: February 12, 2024, 12:37:00 PM »
Yeah, setting aside my thoughts on Wilson, I totally agree with Stadler, but not just with "Don't Stop Believin'"

I think the entire Escape album is full on prog...and a good portion of Frontiers as well. The idea that the band abandoned their ability to rock simply because they figured out how to craft a hit is kinda crazy to me, especially if you take a look at Escape as a whole.

As for Wilson–go ahead and continue to claim you've don't know any Journey (or that you dislike the 'prog' tag, or watever), it's your loss my man.  :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #615 on: February 12, 2024, 12:52:30 PM »
The Journey Through Time set is a great release. I saw that tour they did, and it was amazing. I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the first three Journey albums, but it was a treat seeing and hearing that stuff live. And Deen did the Perry era stuff so much justice.

I've been a big Journey fan for a long time. My favorite records are probably Escape and Trial By Fire, but I really enjoy the hell out of the entire Perry catalog. I thought Steve Augeri was a great addition to the band. I have the first edition of the Red 13 EP he did with them (which was autographed by all), and loved "Remember Me," the single that started off that era. I have to admit, while I liked Arrival, it was a bit ballad-heavy to my ears. And Generations...some good stuff. Enjoyed "Faith in the Heartland" and some others. I thought Steve Augeri got the absolute shaft. He had vocal issues, and the band wasn't willing to wait for him to address them. (That sound familiar to anyone who has been a Journey fan?)

Talk about getting the shaft - I really loved the addition of Jeff Scott Soto. I felt with JSS doing Journey, and then Deen behind the kit doing some of the songs as well, they had a one-two lead vocal punch that could really take Journey to a cool place. And instead, after JSS cancels all his stuff and prepares for the long haul with Journey, they sack him. I lost complete respect for Schon and Cain after that.

As much as I think most people love the heartwarming story of Arnel Pineda, I was absolutely horrified they re-recorded all of Journey's hits with him. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Arnel. He's not Perry (who the hell is?), but I like him. I thought Eclipse was a great record. Best full album since Trial By Fire. But I just can't see Journey again. Not after what Neil and Jonathan did to Perry, Augeri, and JSS. And then their internal money squabbles and BS. Just pass.

But the legendary music itself...journeys on. And I'm forever a fan. Great stuff. The prog tinges throughout the catalog are superb, and really, it's what really keeps me coming back to their music. It's not just syrupy choruses. A lot of great prog moments, vocal acrobatics, and just great ear candy throughout.

p.s. add me to the list of those who love Frontiers. Great record.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 12:58:16 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #616 on: February 12, 2024, 01:14:16 PM »
Right there with you on almost all of that, other than some of the stuff with Soto.  While I am a Soto fan, I was skeptical whether he would be a good fit vocally for Journey, and seeing them live with him confirmed that for me.  But, yes, he did get absolutely shafted by the band in terms of how they handled that.  Seems to be "business as usual" in terms of how they treat people. 

I got to see Journey with Augeri twice, and they were terrific shows.  The first was 2003 when they did a package tour with Styx and REO, and it was a very similar set to the one on their Journey 2001 DVD (although shorter, since they had two opening acts).  I was blown away by how good Augeri sounded.  His voice wasn't as strong as Perry's, but he did a more than competent job.  The second time was on the Generations tour where they played two full sets with an intermission.  The first was rarely played songs with emphasis on the pre-Perry albums, with some of the new album sprinkled in, and a hit or two to close it out.  The second set was a more "traditional" hits set with all the songs everybody knows.  Augeri was a bit pitchy at time and didn't go for all the notes, but still sounded good overall.  I'm not sure if the struggles were due to the longer sets on a full tour or if he was having vocal issues.  But, again, he did just fine overall, and I thought it was a pretty solid performance. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: February 12, 2024, 02:14:01 PM »
Sorry, may not be popular here, and I haven't heard a note of anything he did with the band, but I can't see Jeff with Journey. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: February 12, 2024, 02:16:28 PM »
Sorry, may not be popular here, and I haven't heard a note of anything he did with the band, but I can't see Jeff with Journey.

I saw him live with them in 2006. I thought the combination of him and Deen handling lead vocals really provided some great depth and dynamics. I don't think JSS alone would work, but the combo between the two of them was really cool. At the time, I think the thought was that they'd be more experimental and dynamic. But they reneged on the idea and their agreement with JSS, and went looking for a singer, which ended up being Arnel. Worked out for Journey. I just thought that combo of JSS/Deen Castronovo would have been cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #619 on: February 13, 2024, 12:00:39 AM »
I've not seen Journey with JSS but I've heard some bootlegs and sorry, he just didn't fit imo, even paired with Deen Castronovo. It's almost like replacing Bruce Dickinson with Blaze Bailey.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: February 13, 2024, 01:15:55 PM »
"I'll Be Alright Without You" (with Jeff Scott Soto) - 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFvx49OU2o

Sounds amazing to my ears. It's a bit different. But you also have to remember, JSS had zero time to prep. he literally jumped on tour so Journey didn't have to cancel dates. I've always thought this was great, and he would have gotten his voice in even better shape had this become permanent. Love the bluesy quality. You can hear Deen, Ross, Jon, and Neal harmonizing in the chorus, and then JSS comes back in. Really good performance.

Offline HOF

« Reply #621 on: February 13, 2024, 02:27:09 PM »
"I'll Be Alright Without You" (with Jeff Scott Soto) - 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFvx49OU2o

Sounds amazing to my ears. It's a bit different. But you also have to remember, JSS had zero time to prep. he literally jumped on tour so Journey didn't have to cancel dates. I've always thought this was great, and he would have gotten his voice in even better shape had this become permanent. Love the bluesy quality. You can hear Deen, Ross, Jon, and Neal harmonizing in the chorus, and then JSS comes back in. Really good performance.

It was a fine performance, and maybe he could have been the guy to run with the gig, but I don't feel like Journey really missed out on anything here. I feel like he had to sing different than he normally does for this, and while it's good I'm not sure it's the way I'd prefer to hear those songs.

Anyway, I have never really had any interest in hearing Journey without Steve Perry, and certainly have less interest in ever in the circus the band has become. Glad they still have an audience for what they are doing, but I'm content with the run up through Trial by Fire, which was absolutely amazing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: February 13, 2024, 02:40:04 PM »
That was better than I was expecting. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: February 13, 2024, 02:43:20 PM »

Anyway, I have never really had any interest in hearing Journey without Steve Perry, and certainly have less interest in ever in the circus the band has become. Glad they still have an audience for what they are doing, but I'm content with the run up through Trial by Fire, which was absolutely amazing.

I am too, and that's generally what I listen to, other than some Augeri tracks, and City of Hope, which has Arnel. But I've always had a thing about JSS' time fronting Journey, and what I believe it ultimately could have been, which is by far greater, creatively, than what they've done with Arnel. But Cain and Schon decided to be legacy, and for that, Arnel was fine at the time. Although I find it funny that on City of Hope, they went the direction I figured they would with JSS.  :lol

That was better than I was expecting. 

I don't like bad things.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: February 13, 2024, 03:02:14 PM »
One Journey song I've always thought was excellent was Message of Love.  Journey at that point wasn't getting much airplay but that's their best 80's song that wasn't released in the 80's.  Would've been perfect on Raised on Radio.

Offline HOF

« Reply #625 on: February 13, 2024, 03:07:01 PM »
One Journey song I've always thought was excellent was Message of Love.  Journey at that point wasn't getting much airplay but that's their best 80's song that wasn't released in the 80's.  Would've been perfect on Raised on Radio.

I definitely heard that one on the radio around the time of that release. That song is very similar to Separate Ways (Worlds Apart), but still very cool. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: February 13, 2024, 03:39:10 PM »

One of my favs from Trial By Fire.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #627 on: February 13, 2024, 03:45:22 PM »
That was the 1st single released to rock radio.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #628 on: February 13, 2024, 04:11:25 PM »
I really love Steve Smith's drumming on Trial By Fire. I hate that there doesn't seem to be any footage of him playing any of that stuff anywhere. One More is really great.