Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66902 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #560 on: January 09, 2023, 08:10:57 AM »
Is this the footage you all are referring to? There is nothing from his official channels or any news sites about him performing. Is that really him? The comments are also turned off on the channel which is a little weird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsywcY9JuCQ&ab_channel=yoichinyc

Agreed...I am blown away this wasn't on any of the news sites.

Offline emtee

« Reply #561 on: January 09, 2023, 10:16:59 AM »
Odd timing given what's going on with Journey. It could be and probably is just a one-off performance for fun. Or maybe he's testing out the pipes to go out with Schon and the other original members. Highly unlikely but who knows. They could fill arenas with Perry back.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #562 on: January 09, 2023, 10:20:16 AM »
Is this the footage you all are referring to? There is nothing from his official channels or any news sites about him performing. Is that really him? The comments are also turned off on the channel which is a little weird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsywcY9JuCQ&ab_channel=yoichinyc

He sounds good.  Journey is one of those bands I wish I grew up and got into earlier.  When I had the chance to see them, at that time I wrote them off as a "chick band".  What a mistake.

Offline HOF

« Reply #563 on: January 09, 2023, 10:33:44 AM »
I had a hard time telling much about how he sounded from the videos. He seemed to be backing off the mic and just letting the crowd sing for most of the higher parts on Don’t Stop Believin.’ It’s cool to see him performing again, but I doubt he’d want to go out on a major tour at this point.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #564 on: January 09, 2023, 10:36:15 AM »
To be honest, while it could be him, when I got a close up on his face, it doesn't look like Steve. Maybe he had work done? I also thought he fully embraced his gray hair, and obviously, this guy isn't gray.

He sounded okay if this is really Steve Perry. His face just...it looks off to me. Not sure why. If it is him, he wasn't bad.

I sent the clips over to my wife, who is a big fan as well. See what she thinks. It is awfully weird no one knew about this, and there's nothing official about it. Then again, Perry likes to do that.

Update: Wife agrees with me - that's not Steve Perry. It's someone pretending to be him.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: January 09, 2023, 10:39:14 AM »
To be honest, while it could be him, when I got a close up on his face, it doesn't look like Steve. Maybe he had work done? I also thought he fully embraced his gray hair, and obviously, this guy isn't gray.

He sounded okay if this is really Steve Perry. His face just...it looks off to me. Not sure why. If it is him, he wasn't bad.

I sent the clips over to my wife, who is a big fan as well. See what she thinks. It is awfully weird no one knew about this, and there's nothing official about it. Then again, Perry likes to do that.

I had a similar thought for a moment during, I think it was "Faithfully".  But he's got the mannerisms down pretty good (though anyone who has seen The Musical Box knows that's not impossible to recreate faithfully).

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: January 09, 2023, 10:40:08 AM »
I just updated my post. Yeah, that's not him. My wife agrees with me. Not him at all. Although he HAS obviously studied his mannerisms for sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #567 on: January 09, 2023, 10:47:18 AM »
I just updated my post. Yeah, that's not him. My wife agrees with me. Not him at all. Although he HAS obviously studied his mannerisms for sure.

Yeah, I gave this a much closer look this morning, and I'm with your wife. This was a 'very' convincing tribute act...

Offline HOF

« Reply #568 on: January 09, 2023, 11:00:22 AM »
A tribute band would make more sense. This is the most recent photo of Perry from his twitter (from 11/24):

https://mobile.twitter.com/steveperrymusic/status/1595755943878426626?s=46&t=4p_ZhyD4NfSUYI7_eeGZTw

Offline T-ski

« Reply #569 on: January 09, 2023, 01:08:55 PM »
I kind of questioned if it was him as well. Something was off facially for me but the mannerisms were pretty spot on.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #570 on: January 10, 2023, 07:20:31 AM »
These are a couple very recent pictures of Steve Perry in the studio with a band for whom he performed backing vocals, along with Jonathan Cain's daughter.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #571 on: January 10, 2023, 07:27:12 AM »
Guy in the blue shirt is Steve Lukather's son, Trev. The band was Zero Fucks Given (ZFG) then had to change names to Levara. Pretty good pop rock, catchy music. They had a fallout and now he's gone solo. He'll be releasing an album sometime this year. He seems he inherited his dad's musical genes from what I heard in Levara and a single he has released for his upcoming album. He married Johanthan's Cain daughter last year.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: January 10, 2023, 07:36:57 AM »
CONFIRMED:  https://www.voyageband.com

That's Hugo Valenti in that video.  That band is no joke; the bassist was part of the Dougie White version of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (I knew he looked familiar).    The drummer plays in Gary Cherone's non-Extreme side band, Hurtsmile.  Couple of them are Berkelee guys.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: January 10, 2023, 08:20:44 AM »
Thanks, Stads.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #574 on: January 10, 2023, 12:52:19 PM »
So Cain will be touring with the band next month (Schon confirmed this in a response to a fan). Wonder if they've settled their business issues or if they are ongoing lol.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/jonathan-cain-says-he-will-be-on-tour-with-journey-next-month

Offline HOF

« Reply #575 on: February 23, 2023, 07:42:57 AM »
Greg Rollie joined the band for the encore last night, and they played “Of A Lifetime,” along with several other Rollie era tunes as well as Santana’s “Black Magic Woman.” Wonder when the last time they played “Of A Lifetime” was. Pretty cool.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/journey-gregg-rolie-austin/

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: February 23, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »
Greg Rollie joined the band for the encore last night, and they played “Of A Lifetime,” along with several other Rollie era tunes as well as Santana’s “Black Magic Woman.” Wonder when the last time they played “Of A Lifetime” was. Pretty cool.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/journey-gregg-rolie-austin/

I saw that. Very cool. One of my coolest memories is seeing Schon-Rollie-Castronovo do "Journey Through Time" a few years back. Was a great evening of old Journey and some Perry-era classics.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #577 on: February 23, 2023, 12:21:19 PM »
That's neat. Early Journey, and especially Of a Lifetime, is my favorite Journey. It still knocks me over when I hear it now.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #579 on: March 21, 2023, 12:59:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm all over that. Never heard Deen sing before, dude's not bad.

Okay, little pissed with Frontiers. 3 CD / DVD set and the Blu all by itself. I don't want a freakin' DVD!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #580 on: March 21, 2023, 01:00:38 PM »
I might have to check that out.  Journey was a favorite band of mine long, long ago.

Offline Kram

« Reply #581 on: March 21, 2023, 01:02:51 PM »
Sounds pretty cool and great setlist!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #582 on: March 21, 2023, 01:17:42 PM »
Looking forward to that!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #583 on: March 21, 2023, 01:24:21 PM »
New Journey was shit but this is a nice setlist. Might be worth a try.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #584 on: March 21, 2023, 05:37:25 PM »
It’s about time! I’m in!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #585 on: May 23, 2023, 12:41:43 PM »
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/neal-schon-journey-through-time-live-album/
Finally!
Listening to this now. 

Hey, if you like Journey, especially older Journey, this is for you.

It's not perfect - definitely a few rough spots.  But hey, it's a live performance, and it mostly rocks my face.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #586 on: May 23, 2023, 12:56:43 PM »
Yes, it's not perfect, but it is AMAZING! Loving Deen's performances!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: May 23, 2023, 02:04:55 PM »
I saw the tour they did. February 2019. It was amazing. Deen had a bad cold, and still absolutely killed it. Fun show all the way around.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #588 on: July 22, 2023, 08:16:15 PM »
Sigh, well, I guess we can expect to not see anymore Journey Through Time shows.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/gregg-rolie-journey-through-time/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #589 on: July 23, 2023, 06:48:49 AM »
"And Journey pulls even with Fleetwood Mac at the final turn!!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #590 on: July 23, 2023, 07:08:28 AM »
I was at douche Brett Michaels Party concert last night and Steve Augeri sang 3 Journey songs. It amazed me how many idiot fans thought it was Steve Perry.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #591 on: July 23, 2023, 08:51:40 AM »
Sigh, well, I guess we can expect to not see anymore Journey Through Time shows.

UGH! Has there been a cease and desist order on new sales? I hadn’t picked this up yet, but I guess I better before it goes out of print.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #592 on: July 23, 2023, 11:00:38 AM »

UGH! Has there been a cease and desist order on new sales? I hadn’t picked this up yet, but I guess I better before it goes out of print.

Well, it's a Frontiers release and they tend not to be in print for very long anyway, at least from what I have seen. Amazon is out of stock on the CD/DVD set but still has the Blu-ray. Laser CD, where I got it, is out of stock completely. The Frontiers US store has both in stock, it appears.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: July 23, 2023, 11:59:53 AM »
I was at douche Brett Michaels Party concert last night and Steve Augeri sang 3 Journey songs. It amazed me how many idiot fans thought it was Steve Perry.

I honestly thought Augeri sounded pretty bad too. He had good moments and sounds a lot like Perry, but really missed on a lot of the vocals.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #594 on: July 23, 2023, 12:19:21 PM »

I honestly thought Augeri sounded pretty bad too. He had good moments and sounds a lot like Perry, but really missed on a lot of the vocals.

He was good. But I know going in that any singer in their 50's plus will not hit their notes anymore.

Besides, he had surgery on his vocal chords. That's why Journey. Over on from him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC