Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66709 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2021, 08:01:38 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: June 24, 2021, 08:19:40 AM »
New song!

https://youtu.be/mfxQx8oFbf8

Derivative keyboard intro and shitty art aside I didn't mind that once the guitars kicked in.   I get a Trial By Fire/Arrival vibe and if this is on the more commercial side I'll be interested in hearing more. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:33:21 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #422 on: June 24, 2021, 09:16:07 AM »
Not bad. 

Journey is a band that, due to their age, lack a bit of fire, edge, and attitude that a younger band with something to prove would have.  And a byproduct of that is that they rarely try tread any new ground.  But they are a band of talented musicians and songwriters that have been around so long that they are incredibly well-honed and know how to craft something catchy that has artistic merit and has their popular signature sound.

This song captures both sides.  It is very unsurprising in that regard.  It breaks no new ground whatsoever.  But that's fine.  It sounds like Journey and sounds good, even if it brings nothing new to the table.  I can completely respect that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:41:10 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #423 on: June 24, 2021, 09:18:17 AM »
It's OK.  Still not a fan of Arnel.  But it's fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #424 on: June 24, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »
Didn't wow me. It's good but nothing I haven't heard from them before.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline emtee

« Reply #425 on: June 24, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »
Kind of milquetoast but not bad. Based on Schon's comments over the last year, I expected rocking high energy. It's Journey playing to their melodic strengths. At least they're still creating new music.

Offline HOF

« Reply #426 on: June 24, 2021, 09:50:26 AM »
The song isn’t bad at all, but like most modern Journey it’s probably not something I’d really listen to much. I’m glad that the band has carried on as long as it has in some form, but I’m pretty content with the Journey catalog up through Trial of Fire.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #427 on: June 24, 2021, 07:19:35 PM »
Not a fan at all and I like quite a bit of the post Perry era Journey stuff.  This is just meh for me unfortunately, wish I liked it more.  Sounds really muddy to me as well which doesn’t help either.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #428 on: June 24, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »
The Journey and Styx threads are blending together.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #429 on: June 25, 2021, 08:07:27 AM »
Listened several times now. Getting zero feels.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: June 25, 2021, 08:14:29 AM »
The Journey and Styx threads are blending together.

Not musically.  That new Styx album is excellent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #431 on: July 06, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2021, 07:35:23 PM »
Other than Arnel sounding like Steve Perry, I don't understand how anyone can think that new song has any qualities that remotely sound like Journey.  It doesn't rock like some Classic Journey does.  Nor, does it have the poppier sound of Journey of old.  It has a mid-tempo chugging feel to me that I would never associate with Journey.  And, it's definitely not a song that gets me excited about a new Journey album. 

It's also what I'm dreading about the onslaught of music to be released upon us in the coming months - pandemic-themed songs.  I understand the last 16 months have been like nothing any of us have ever had to endure.  And, people write from personal experience.  However, do we really need every artist to put a pandemic song on his/her/their album?!?  Personally, I just want to move on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »
Neil is auctioning 112 of his guitars

https://entertainment.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=0&N=3189+792+4294940940+4294967076

Must need money for all of those alimony payments since he hasn't been able to tour for a year and change.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2021, 07:47:10 PM »
 :lol

I listened to the song a second time and it was better than the first listen.   I need to hear it more to say it's likeable or not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2021, 07:54:05 PM »

I listened to the song a second time and it was better than the first listen.   I need to hear it more to say it's likeable or not.

Well, like Bosk said, it is what it is. If you're a big enough fan of Journey, I'm sure you can find something about it that you like.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: July 06, 2021, 07:56:04 PM »
Not true for me. I do want to hear it in a full album to make a judgement.

Most hardcore Journey fans did not like Eclipse.  I thought it was great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #437 on: July 06, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »
I thought a couple of those newer songs weren't bad (the ones recommended a while back), but I can't imagine ever going out of my way to hear them again.  My Journey collection ends in 1986 and I am good with that.  :hat :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: July 06, 2021, 08:00:47 PM »
3 songs from 86.  Lol. The rest of that album deserves to be cast out in the sea.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #439 on: July 06, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »
I only know the hits, but I was a big fan of I'll Be Alright Without You and Girl Can't Help It thanks to MTV playing the crap out of the videos (from live shows!!).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: July 06, 2021, 08:10:49 PM »
Right.  Add Be Good To Yourself.   Any other song is subpar for a Journey album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2021, 08:43:18 PM »
I like a most/all of Raised on Radio. In addition to the above named tracks, Happy to Give and In The Eyes of a Woman are really strong. I also like the title track and Why Can’t This Night Go On Forever (schmaltz and all). The playing suffers from no Steve Smith, and some of the production choices are shaky, but I thought the songs were strong.

Also, Kev, Trial By Fire is absolutely worth having in my view. Despite Perry’s vocal decline and a few too many ballads, there are lots of great songs on it. Message of Love, One More, If He Should Break Your Heart, Forever in Blue, Can’t Tame the Lion, and the title track, all really great with several others I really enjoy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2021, 08:44:20 PM »

Also, Kev, Trial By Fire is absolutely worth having in my view. Despite Perry’s vocal decline and a few too May ballads, there are lots of great songs on it.

More than decent album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: July 06, 2021, 08:45:14 PM »
That album is good no doubt. ROR though.....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: July 06, 2021, 08:46:01 PM »
That album is good no doubt. ROR though.....

But not RORO

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: July 06, 2021, 08:50:22 PM »
Me am confused.

Offline HOF

« Reply #446 on: July 06, 2021, 08:57:26 PM »
Me am confused.

Scooby Doo reference I believe.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2021, 07:02:00 AM »
Me am confused.

Scooby Doo reference I believe.

I figured Tim only watched black and white TV with rabbit ears.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #448 on: July 07, 2021, 07:58:38 AM »
I can see why rock fans in general wouldn’t be keen on Raised On Radio, it is pretty much a pop record.  As a fan of Journey’s ballads and softer moments though as well as the rock songs, I’ve always enjoyed it.  The production is very, very 80’s though.  It sounds more dated than some of their earlier albums.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #449 on: July 31, 2021, 08:37:43 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/journey-returns-to-live-stage-with-revamped-lineup-featuring-deen-castronovo-marco-mendoza-video/
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/journey/2021/aragon-ballroom-chicago-il-38f21a3.html
An extensive setlist. I hope Deen is singing some songs at least! I don't see Journey needing 2 drummers, but I really like that Deen is back in the band.

edit: Deen is singing Who's Crying Now, Mother Father, Open Arms and Faithfully (setlists photo, apparently from Jon’s Instagram account).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:19:07 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #450 on: August 02, 2021, 08:15:34 PM »
I was thrilled to see Deen back in the group.  But, I don't really understand the 2 drummer thing.  And, he's playing a Roland E-drum kit. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: August 02, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »
I was thrilled to see Deen back in the group.  But, I don't really understand the 2 drummer thing.  And, he's playing a Roland E-drum kit.

I am not up with all the latest but I think there's a couple of factors:

1) Schon feels like he owes Deen

2) Arnel's voice (like Perry and Augeri before him) is starting to wear significantly and Deen gives them a backup plan
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #452 on: August 02, 2021, 11:24:34 PM »

I am not up with all the latest but I think there's a couple of factors:

1) Schon feels like he owes Deen

2) Arnel's voice (like Perry and Augeri before him) is starting to wear significantly and Deen gives them a backup plan
I know that Deen and Schon go back to the Hardline days and that he has a lot of love for him.  Hell, he had him in his Journey Through Time project.  I just don't understand why they didn't just name him the drummer when they named Randy Jackson the new bassist.  It's not like he can't handle Journey's drum parts on his own.  He was with them for over 15 years!

As for them bringing him back for his vocals, if Arnel's voice is starting to fade, Deen is definitely a competent back-up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: August 02, 2021, 11:58:28 PM »
When you consider that Neal probably doesn't want to return to having a whole tour reliant on Deen not falling off the wagon again , it probably makes more sense.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #454 on: August 03, 2021, 02:17:12 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/journey-returns-to-live-stage-with-revamped-lineup-featuring-deen-castronovo-marco-mendoza-video/
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/journey/2021/aragon-ballroom-chicago-il-38f21a3.html
An extensive setlist. I hope Deen is singing some songs at least! I don't see Journey needing 2 drummers, but I really like that Deen is back in the band.

edit: Deen is singing Who's Crying Now, Mother Father, Open Arms and Faithfully (setlists photo, apparently from Jon’s Instagram account).

He used to do that when JSS was in the band.  Those are some of their signature songs, Arnel can’t be feeling great about that unless his voice isn’t up to it anymore.