Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66836 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
Steve Smith is a phenomenal drummer in his own right.  Even Neil Peart was a big fan and spoke highly of him.
Deen Castronovo is a beast on drums, but he's not any better than Steve Smith except what he can bring to the table vocally.
This. Steve Smith is one of my heroes, one of the GOATs and all that (and for good reason), and he has always been far too good for Journey (technically and musically speaking), so him being excised might actually be a relief for him, but what do I know.   Side note: Check him out on Enigmatic Ocean by Jean Luc Ponty (released a year before he was brought into Journey), fab album. MM is a fan of Steve Smith as well. (even Steve Gadd, another one of the all time greats) 
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »
Yea Steve is a killer drummer and i've been a big fan of him before I even heard about Journey. He really seems like a genuinely nice guy so this feels a bit off but what do I know. It's all business in the end.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2020, 10:04:35 PM »
Maybe give Perry a call too.

I'm the biggest Perry fanatic on the planet, but no. He hasn't the range to do the Journey songs in their original key anymore nor does have the desire or reason to endure the inevitable drama that would come with working with them anymore.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2020, 03:14:35 PM »
When Deen had his personal problems and Journey brought back Steve Smith, I knew it was for these reasons.

1.) Old school, nostalgia in the lineup possibly leading to more ticket/merch sales = making more money.
2.) Buy some time for Deen to get his stuff together & back in the fold (he comes with a cheaper price tag).
3.) Buy some time for Schon to find another drummer, well known or not, that would come cheaper.

I don't think Smith wanted to do Journey music full time anymore. He's more into jazz. Maybe there was an understanding that he was temporary but there wasn't a closed date for it to end. Maybe he saw how much money the band/brand was making & wanted to milk it for all he could. Maybe Schon said, "Your time is up. We want to move on to another drummer" and Smith didn't want to yet because he liked the income, the songs are fun to play, and they're easy for him to play. Hard to argue with making decent money while having easy work.

Maybe they just don't get along at all and while the music on stage was good, the relationship is sour. It's not fun to tour or do business with someone you can't stand, even if the product is good.

A lot of maybes. A lot of assumptions. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #354 on: May 05, 2020, 09:04:38 PM »
Family recreates “Separate Ways” video and it’s awesome....

https://youtu.be/Q-r8s0J7eU8
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #355 on: May 05, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »
Would you believe that family lives in my housing development? 

I don't know them personally, but I first saw this posted by the family in our HOA's Facebook page.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: May 05, 2020, 09:39:50 PM »
Would you believe that family lives in my housing development? 

I don't know them personally, but I first saw this posted by the family in our HOA's Facebook page.

That's hilarious. I first saw it on a local news page so I knew it they lived in the PNW.

I posted this a while ago in the GD humor thread.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online goo-goo

« Reply #357 on: May 23, 2020, 09:35:56 PM »
Seems like Randy Jackson is lined up formplaying bass and Narada Michael Walden on drums for Journey’s empty slots. Neal Schon himself revealed this in his FB page.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #358 on: May 24, 2020, 04:24:14 PM »
I was hoping Randy would be up for it. Awesome, now I want to check em out now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online HOF

« Reply #359 on: May 24, 2020, 05:17:41 PM »
Seems like Randy Jackson is lined up formplaying bass and Narada Michael Walden on drums for Journey’s empty slots. Neal Schon himself revealed this in his FB page.

Whoa, I called it!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #360 on: May 24, 2020, 09:24:16 PM »

I'm not the least bit surprised Neal brought Randy back into the fold. I am however a bit surprised that he didn't use this as an opportunity to bring Deen back into the band on drums. I'm not very familiar with Narada at all, but he seems more than capable.

The most frustrating thing to me is that it seems like there's no drive for anyone in the band to write and record new music anymore. It's been obvious for ages with Cain, so I have no expectations of Arnel getting another shot at writing/recording new music with the band... but I'd have thought we'd see some new material emerge from Journey Through Time by now at least on Neal's side of things?
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #361 on: May 26, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »
Hmm... not sure how I feel about Randy.  I mean, he's got the chops.  And he's got the connection to the band.  But for me, him joining is also a reminder of the period where they crossed so far into pop territory and the band as a whole was in such a state of dysfunction that I felt like the music seriously suffered and was no longer entertaining.

Incidentally, I have their 2001 DVD on in the background while working, and will reiterate what I have said many times that this is my absolute favorite live performance of theirs of the live ones they have put out through the years. 

I also note by way of observation of which songs I have loved most through the years, and they are definitely the more guitar-driven songs where they rock.  Wheel in the Sky, Stone in Love, Separate Ways, Any Way You Want It, and Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' are probably my top 5.  But they also wrote some REALLY solid ballads (Faithfully, Lights, and Send Her My Love being my favorites) and some really solid pop songs (Only the Young and Be Good To Yourself).  Those would probably be my top 10 Journey songs, and in the order listed, without mixing those three categories together.

And in looking at my own list, a couple of other observations stand out to me:  (1) Yes, I guess I do prefer the "hits," with just a few exceptions.  And (2), yes, I did in fact omit Don't Stop Believin' and Open Arms from my top 10 (the former would be the next in order; Open Arms would rank much lower). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #362 on: May 26, 2020, 12:57:00 PM »
I think the band is completely disfunctional right now, that's why they have to bring back Randy (or any other bass player who's willing to play with them).

And Be Good To Yourself is a guitar-driven rocker and not a pop song.  :D And it's one of my favorite Journey tunes.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #363 on: May 26, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
And Be Good To Yourself is a guitar-driven rocker and not a pop song.  :D And it's one of my favorite Journey tunes.

A huge part of the appeal of this band for a good many people, I think, is the fact that for a LOT of their tunes, you can argue that the song falls into either one of those categories, and you wouldn't really be wrong no matter which side you take. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online HOF

« Reply #364 on: May 26, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
Man, can I even start with a top 10 list of favorite Journey tracks? I’d probably leave off Don’t Stop Believing too, but not because it’s not a great great song.

Still They Ride is way up there for me. Only The Young and Ask the Lonely as well. Escape is a great song, as is Mother, Father. I’d probably include something from Trial by Fire, but not sure which. Little Girl from the Dream After Dream soundtrack. I really love the songs Frontiers and Rubicon. I feel like I’m selling the early albums short here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #365 on: May 26, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »
Yeah, the deep cuts you mention are definitely some worthy choices.  Speaking only for myself, the stuff I love most generally falls into this category:  Most of the songs from Escape and Frontiers, and the hits from the pre-Escape Perry era, with a smattering of other songs here and there.  I also really enjoyed quite a few songs from the Augeri-era albums, and the last album with Arnel (although those can't tough the classics for me).  The rest of their catalog is "just there" for me--I don't mind the songs, and like them alright, but won't go out of my way for them.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #366 on: May 27, 2020, 01:10:27 PM »
Too many good songs to narrow it down to a top ten. I like most of the hits quite well and there are a lot of deep cuts from every era that are really good. For instance Colours Of The Spirit from Trial By Fire and We Will Meet Again from Arrival would probably end up way high in my hypothetical ranking list.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2020, 03:14:55 PM »
I am generally a hits guy when it comes to Journey (even their deep cuts from their supposed best albums usually do not do a lot for me), so my top 10 would be pretty much all hits.  Separate Ways, Stone in Love and Send Her My Love are undoubtedly the top 3, and Who's Crying Now is up there as well.

Online HOF

« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2020, 03:56:11 PM »
Among the Journey ballad category, Faithfully is a really wonderful power ballad I think. Prefer it to Open Arms for sure. Also really like Who’s Crying Now and Send Her My Love. Happy to Give is another underrated ballad, and it’s cheesy as heck but I still love Why Can’t This Night Go On Forever.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2020, 04:36:56 PM »
This last post is already over a month old, but I just happened to read it yesterday and thought it was appropriate to share here:
https://www.melodicrock.com/tags/journey

If true, Schon and Cain ain't the angels they're purporting to be.

Also, regarding why Deen didn't come back, a friend of mine said that Deen was actually approached and turned down the offer. I think that also says a lot about the current situation in Journey...
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: May 27, 2020, 05:12:03 PM »
Separate Ways is one of my favorite rock songs by any band. Some other favorite Journey tunes would be Wheel in the Sky, Ask the Lonely, Who’s Crying Now, Chain Reaction, Girl Can’t Help it, Be Good to Yourself and Message of Love. Even though there was a cheese factor to them, Journey mastered the ballad and made a fortune on them. Don’t Stop Believin is overplayed but it’s still a classic. But overall that original greatest hits album has to be one of the best compilation albums by any band. Will also mention that if the song Message of Love would have been released in 1986 instead of 1996, the song would have been huge. Awesome tune.

Online HOF

« Reply #371 on: May 27, 2020, 05:48:51 PM »
Message of Love is an awesome song, even if it is almost a re-write of Separate Ways. Trial By Fire has a ton of great tracks. One More, Can’t Tame the Lion, Forever in Blue. Also the title track is really incredible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #372 on: May 27, 2020, 06:31:33 PM »
"Only The Young".  If I only can listen to one Journey song for the rest of my life, it's "Only The Young".

Offline T-ski

« Reply #373 on: May 27, 2020, 06:44:08 PM »
Still They Ride needs more love, fantastic song.

Also the title track off Escape is fabulous.

Online HOF

« Reply #374 on: May 27, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »

Agreed on both!

Man, can I even start with a top 10 list of favorite Journey tracks? I’d probably leave off Don’t Stop Believing too, but not because it’s not a great great song.

Still They Ride is way up there for me. Only The Young and Ask the Lonely as well. Escape is a great song, as is Mother, Father. I’d probably include something from Trial by Fire, but not sure which. Little Girl from the Dream After Dream soundtrack. I really love the songs Frontiers and Rubicon. I feel like I’m selling the early albums short here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #375 on: May 27, 2020, 07:06:39 PM »
I can't remember if this has been talked about in this thread or not, but as someone who loved the live versions of Girl Can't Help It and I'll Be Alright Without You (the videos MTV played for these songs were those live versions) and was later underwhelmed by both studio versions, I love that those live versions were made available on iTunes. I couldn't click "buy" on those fast enough. :coolio

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #376 on: May 27, 2020, 07:07:06 PM »
Can't Tame A Lion is an excellent album cut.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online HOF

« Reply #377 on: May 27, 2020, 07:12:55 PM »
I can't remember if this has been talked about in this thread or not, but as someone who loved the live versions of Girl Can't Help It and I'll Be Alright Without You (the videos MTV played for these songs were those live versions) and was later underwhelmed by both studio versions, I love that those live versions were made available on iTunes. I couldn't click "buy" on those fast enough. :coolio

Yeah, these were on the Time 3 box set and when I finally heard the originals they felt flat. I do really like both of those songs though. Raised on Radio has its weak spots, but I really enjoy most of it. The title track is corny but good fun.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #378 on: May 27, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »
Among the Journey ballad category, Faithfully is a really wonderful power ballad I think. Prefer it to Open Arms for sure. Also really like Who’s Crying Now and Send Her My Love. Happy to Give is another underrated ballad, and it’s cheesy as heck but I still love Why Can’t This Night Go On Forever.

Why Can't This Night Go On Forever is hands down Journey's best love ballad. By a country mile. Baffles my mind that they rarely ever play that one live, it's a gem, cheese and all.

Other personal favorite Journey tracks are tracks like Winds of March, One More, Edge of the Blade, Escape, Patiently, Separate Ways, Still They Ride, Resonate and Higher Place. I love the other obvious hits too, but there's a ton of great songs from the band out there that I love.

Their best song though is Mother, Father. Hands down. :metal Blew my mind when I saw an old live video and realized that Steve Perry was actually singing that really high pitched bit in the closing minute or so of the song. I'd always assumed it was a little flourish on Cain's synths like the band's played it live for years.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #379 on: May 27, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »

Agreed on both!

guess I should read every post more carefully.  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: May 27, 2020, 09:51:39 PM »
If I only can listen to one Journey song for the rest of my life...

Feeling That Way/Anytime (I know it's two songs, they are forever linked in my mind, like Moving In Stereo/All Mixed Up).

I had the Time3 box set in high school - actually I think I perma-borrowed it from a friend. I played that a ton. They've always been a Hits band for me, and I don't even care for some of the hits. Classic rock radio burnout.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #381 on: May 28, 2020, 09:12:09 AM »
Second the love for Still They Ride and Mother, Father.   I think I know what I'm listening to this afternoon...

Offline emtee

« Reply #382 on: May 28, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
There was a time in my life that Journey was my favorite band. Still love them and always will. I get in moods where I'll spin their discography for a week or two and connect with the music and memories again.

One of my favorite deep tracks is Daydream.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #383 on: May 28, 2020, 12:35:48 PM »
From Neal Schon/Journey Facebook:
We were so happy to be involved with UNICEF with all the amazing artists,  for such a great cause 🙏🏽 thank you #MerckMercuriadis 🙌🏽welcome to our Journey family Randy Jackson Narada Michael Walden Fan Page and #JasonDerlatka Journey Believe Friends New Music Coming 🎶
If so, it will be a pleasant surprise, since I’m also a great fan from the post Perry albums.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #384 on: May 28, 2020, 04:44:48 PM »
I remember years ago when the drama was going down, Neal Schon was posting about karma on his FB. I replied that Karma would make a great album title and he agreed.  :lol So if they have a new album coming and it's named that I'll just implode.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.