Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66771 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2015, 07:09:51 AM »
He's got more than enough cred with me that I will check this out as soon as it's available, but I don't have high expectations.

Has he done anything since Trial By Fire?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2015, 07:21:06 AM »
He's got more than enough cred with me that I will check this out as soon as it's available, but I don't have high expectations.

Has he done anything since Trial By Fire?

I can't think of anything much.   He did I Stand Alone for some animated movie soundtrack in the late 90's..........I have a cool track here somewhere called Let Him Go but that was probably from the FTLOSM sessions.  I also seem to recall that he got together with Nuno Bettencourt around 97-98 and recorded a song or two but they never saw the light of day even as boots.   He always said he wanted to work with Nuno again , so hopefully he has.  Weird pairing but I would like to hear the result.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
He did I Stand Alone for some animated movie soundtrack in the late 90's
I didn't know about that one. I just listened to it...doesn't seem like I was missing much. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »
I don't know; I'm a big fan of hearing where artists are in their life and what progress they've made in following their muse (U2 and Maiden are good examples here, as are Metallica) but there are a precious few that I think were more of a moment in time than a transcendental experience, and Journey with Steve Perry was, I think for me, one of them.   I go back and listen to some of those songs - Mother, Father; Only the Young; Ask The Lonely; Still They Ride; Stone In Love - and they are of the time, and more importantly, of the people who made it.  Not dated, but they capture something that isn't quite the same as, say, Neil Young's or Bruce Springsteen's art of personal discovery.

I would listen to hear what he's up to, but I would be very surprised if it was an album that captured what I really dug into with Jounrey.  Not "speculating on music I haven't heard", because I would give it a fair shake, and I might even like it for what it is, but just noting that for me, the chemistry was in the Cain/Schon/Perry interaction, and without Cain and Schon, that can't happen. 

I completely agree. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2015, 09:06:47 AM »
I don't know; I'm a big fan of hearing where artists are in their life and what progress they've made in following their muse (U2 and Maiden are good examples here, as are Metallica) but there are a precious few that I think were more of a moment in time than a transcendental experience, and Journey with Steve Perry was, I think for me, one of them.   I go back and listen to some of those songs - Mother, Father; Only the Young; Ask The Lonely; Still They Ride; Stone In Love - and they are of the time, and more importantly, of the people who made it.  Not dated, but they capture something that isn't quite the same as, say, Neil Young's or Bruce Springsteen's art of personal discovery.

I would listen to hear what he's up to, but I would be very surprised if it was an album that captured what I really dug into with Jounrey.  Not "speculating on music I haven't heard", because I would give it a fair shake, and I might even like it for what it is, but just noting that for me, the chemistry was in the Cain/Schon/Perry interaction, and without Cain and Schon, that can't happen.
I feel you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
Hey baby
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »
I knew all those times singing Don't Stop Believin' would eventually pay off.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2015, 12:58:38 PM »
Steve Perry has confirmed that he has been recording a solo album that will be finished in the first few months of 2016.
Believe it when I see it.

I think his last album (25 years ago) took years recording. He also abandoned a project back then with Nuno that already had songs recorded.

This might be further along, but until he says something is wrapped up I'm not expecting much.

As was already said, I also think whatever he might want to release these days won't interest many fans.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA&ob=av2el

I realized that, upon a review of my analysis of Separate Ways, I had indeed overlooked some things.  I'm sure if I keep watching, I'll find more, but here's the list with the new analysis:

Steve Perry = Young Demi Moore
0:35, 0:49 - no instruments
0:52 - Jon Cain bear-pawing his air keyboard
1:07 - awkward zoom-in
1:25 - keyboard on the wall
1:37 - Brigitte Nielsen chick becomes Jon Cain, which probably says more about him than it does her
1:43 - In today’s episode of “Keyboard Egomaniacs”, Jon Cain demonstrates arpeggios with a flourish
1:52 - Woman, you have PISSED Steve Perry off
2:00 - Ivan Drago “I must break you” look
2:11 - slow-mo marching band "ABOUT FACE!" move
2:16 - advertisement for Steve Perry's dentist
2:18 - why are they in a dockyard full of shipping skids?
2:29-2:36 - sequences like this are what make 80's videos so excellent
2:41 - Christ you guys are a bunch of losers, I’m out.
2:44 - 2nd from left: Ross Valory = Jeff Foxworthy
2:47 - There’s a reason my contract demanded valium and Jack Daniels
2:56 - Oops! Almost lost my balance!
3:02 - 55-gallon drumset
3:06 - HURRR-STOMPA-STOMPA *follows camera*
3:11 - Pulls out just in time to avoid inevitable Jon Cain collision
3:12 - Jon Cain's patented "Camera Bitch-Slap"
3:17 - Check out how awesome I am. I may have tried to kick Santana out of the band, but at least the afro's gone!
3:22 - guitar face
3:27 - weird slow-mo
3:49 - more wall keyboard
4:01 - Brigitte Nielsen chick approaches: "You guys are still at this??"
4:06 - This is what daddy issues and coke habits look like
4:22 - Whew!  It was all just a nightmare!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »
I don't know what made me think of this today, but everyone in the band looks like my dad's friends when I was a kid.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
I know it's an easy target, but even in a sea of easy targets, that's embarrassing. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
Saw them on 7/2 with the Doobie Brothers and they sounded fantastic.  They're tuning down a bit, because even AP can't sustain those kinda songs in standard tuning for very long.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2017, 12:21:44 AM »
So I've known about Journey for years. Of all their singles, I've always loved Separate Ways. Speaking of, after watching that video just now, I'm disappointed to find out after all these years the memory of it is wrong. I remember all of them shaking their fists at the camera during the chorus, and I always used to joke about it, but that's not in the video at all!

Anyway, recently I was watching some video on youtube I don't remember, and there was a comment thread about replacement singers sounding like the old one, and someone mentioned Deen Castronovo being better at sounding like Steve Perry, and recommended the live version of Faithfully with him singing and drumming. This sparked a sudden interest in checking out some Journey albums. After listening to Frontiers for a week, I finally bought it. It's a great album. I was a little ehhhhh about Chain Reaction at first because I've never heard Journey sound like that, but I quickly warmed up to it. Back Talk is slowly getting there.

The next album I check out will be Eclipse, and I'll probably get the essential compilation.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2017, 12:27:24 AM »
Chain Reaction I love, but Back Talk still annoys the crap out of me, and I enjoy most of the rest of the album. Good choice. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »
Frontiers was fantastic.  Zook, if you are going through somewhat of a Journey phase, I highly recommend their 2001 DVD:  https://www.amazon.com/Journey-2001/dp/B00005U11Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492176040&sr=8-1&keywords=journey+2001

I was skeptical about Journey with anyone but Perry.  Then I saw them on the tour after this DVD and was blown away.  To me, Steve Augeri struck a very good balance of being very faithful to Perry's signature parts (and often sounding eerily similar to him) while still injecting just enough of his own style to sound authentic.  This DVD performance captures them performing at a VERY high level, and with a great set list and a great performance.  I recommend checking it out.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2017, 07:52:41 AM »
That Augeri DVD is cool.

Frontiers could've been their best album by dropping a couple of songs and adding the songs held back for soundtracks .

I'm surprised the RNRHOF induction didn't get some discussion around here  - good to see them back together.

Some bright spark on Blabbermouth quite innocently posted that Deen Castronovo should've been indicted  :lol    One letter makes a big difference and yes..........he has been indicted many times.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2017, 07:54:51 AM »
:lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »
very faithful to Perry's signature parts

So you could say he recreated Perry's parts faithfully?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
it was great seeing Perry with the band at the Hall of Fame induction, but a damn shame he didn't sing.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2017, 08:57:01 AM »
To be honest, he probably couldn't even sing those songs any more, at least without tuning way down. He hasn't done much of anything in over 20 years. And I'd rather they not fuel any potential rumours that are bound to come from doing that.
Wasn't he supposed to be recording a solo album or something a while back? I'd like to hear something new from him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2017, 09:23:27 AM »
If you watch Perry's performances with the Eels from a couple of years ago, he still has that rich tone. The legendary range is not there, but as he did more shows with the Eels, he got more confidence and got better. But simply stated, he's not the same singer he was 30-35 years ago. Pretty much no one on the planet is, except Glenn Hughes, who I swear is an alien. That guy just defies nature.

Anyway, I was bummed Perry chose not to sing, but I do get it. EVERYONE, including Perry himself, would hold Perry to his past greatness with Journey. And that's just not realistic. Perry knows it, and knows he can't deliver those songs like that any more, and doesn't want to go there. I respect that.

Schon did a couple of interviews this week (wish I had the links, but I don't, perhaps someone can look them up), where he said something along the lines of how emotional he and Perry both were, and there would have been no way he would have been able to sing given that emotion. And Perry is a very emotional guy to begin with.

Schon did say, however, that he thinks he and Perry might talk about doing something together in the future, just not as Journey. He mentioned it being more along the soulful rock lines, as opposed to the melodic, operatic pop/hard rock Journey is known for. That makes total sense to me -- not under the Journey name, there's much less of an expectation for Steve Perry to sound like Steve Perry from 1982.

I've been keeping tabs on news related to Perry's solo work. He's been working at it for about a decade now, but more more intense the last few years. He's had a lot of guys come in and work with him. I believe Nuno Bettencout has, among others (sorry, no link, going from memory). I also think I remember reading that Perry said that he plans on getting it out later this year? So we'll see. But I think the overriding notion is -- he isn't the same Steve Perry vocally as everyone remembers, and for a guy who is clearly driven by his emotions, that's hard for Perry to live up to. he can't live up to it, so he needs to feel like people will understand and accept it.

Honestly, I think his performances with the Eels really helped him, and he got better each time he performed with them. And if people listen to those performances, that's probably what I would expect from him moving forward. The tone is there. The range is not, and you have to just let his tone carry the day.

In a clearly not apples-to-apples example, it's sort of how Ray Alder sings these days in Fates Warning. That beautiful tone is there, but the range to do the No Exit and Perfect Symmetry stuff...he just doesn't want to go there. Same with Perry, except Perry CAN'T go there.

Anyway, I think Perry was pure class at the RnRHoF induction, and I really hope he does put out a solo record, tours, and eventually works with Schon. Personally, I'd like for them to do a Perry-Schon record with acoustic remakes of Journey songs, and then five or six new tunes, acoustic, that fit Perry's style and range these days. Sorta like how Sevendust did their Bonfires release a couple of years back...six old songs re-done acoustic, six new acoustic tunes.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
If you watch Perry's performances with the Eels from a couple of years ago, he still has that rich tone. The legendary range is not there, but as he did more shows with the Eels, he got more confidence and got better. But simply stated, he's not the same singer he was 30-35 years ago. Pretty much no one on the planet is, except Glenn Hughes, who I swear is an alien. That guy just defies nature.

Oh yeah, he's definitely still got a great sounding voice that's recordable, but just not for the old Journey stuff. That's an insane standard to live up to at that age, or any age. If he sang new material suited to his current voice though, that's something I'd definitely want to hear. I'd also definitely be interested in a Schon / Perry collab outside of Journey as described. That would be perfect.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
If you watch Perry's performances with the Eels from a couple of years ago, he still has that rich tone. The legendary range is not there, but as he did more shows with the Eels, he got more confidence and got better. 

I remember seeing the first one.  I didn't realize he did some other performances.  Will have to check those out.

Anyway, I was bummed Perry chose not to sing, but I do get it. EVERYONE, including Perry himself, would hold Perry to his past greatness with Journey. And that's just not realistic. Perry knows it, and knows he can't deliver those songs like that any more, and doesn't want to go there. I respect that.

Schon did a couple of interviews this week (wish I had the links, but I don't, perhaps someone can look them up), where he said something along the lines of how emotional he and Perry both were, and there would have been no way he would have been able to sing given that emotion. And Perry is a very emotional guy to begin with.
Classy way to answer the question on Schon's part.  It is true, but nicely sidesteps the issue of having to say "well, as much as we'd like to have him sing the old stuff, we all know he CAN'T."  That's how you cover your (ex-)band-mate's back.

I've been keeping tabs on news related to Perry's solo work. He's been working at it for about a decade now, but more more intense the last few years. He's had a lot of guys come in and work with him. I believe Nuno Bettencout has, among others (sorry, no link, going from memory).

I think Nuno would be a great pairing, not only for his guitar chops (and not just rock--the guy can play a lot of styles), but also for his voice.  I think he would harmonize well with Steve.

In a clearly not apples-to-apples example, it's sort of how Ray Alder sings these days in Fates Warning. That beautiful tone is there, but the range to do the No Exit and Perfect Symmetry stuff...he just doesn't want to go there. Same with Perry, except Perry CAN'T go there.

Yeah, good example with Ray.  No secret here that I don't even like Ray's earlier work.  Yeah, the range was impressive.  But I didn't like his tone and timbre when he was relying in that range of his to wow the audience.  I think his tone has improved greatly in his latter years, and I much prefer him on Redemption's stuff and the last 3 Fates albums than on the earlier stuff.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »
Neal Schon is aware about the Steve Perry's loss of range (of course), but he clearly would like to have Perry's voice in the band in any way or form he could sing. IMO He puts this with all the respect and admiration Steve deserves:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/journeys-neal-schon-talks-steve-perry-reunion-hall-of-fame-w476380
Talking about a total class act, look at Steve's speech on Hall of Fame  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/read-journey-steve-perrys-heartfelt-rock-hall-of-fame-speeches-w475818
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »
Considering where he started - I don't think most people realize just how good Steve Perry is/was - even a diminished Steve Perry is still probably better than most of the hacks that are out there butchering Journey songs in bars across the land (especially since the resurgence of "Don't Stop Believing").   

I didn't like every minute of every song, but you really have to give it to them.  Solid musicianship, solid songwriting, mostly tasteful arrangements...   the kind of music that brings you right back to where you were back in the day.  Every time I hear "Stone In Love" (or really, anything from Escape) I still think of my first kiss back in the 2000's.  (Haha, no, middle school).

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:44 AM »
Considering where he started - I don't think most people realize just how good Steve Perry is/was - even a diminished Steve Perry is still probably better than most of the hacks that are out there butchering Journey songs in bars across the land (especially since the resurgence of "Don't Stop Believing").   

I didn't like every minute of every song, but you really have to give it to them.  Solid musicianship, solid songwriting, mostly tasteful arrangements...   the kind of music that brings you right back to where you were back in the day.  Every time I hear "Stone In Love" (or really, anything from Escape) I still think of my first kiss back in the 2000's.  (Haha, no, middle school).

You are that young, Stadler?!? ;)  :biggrin:
As you said, it brings us back to younger days, and that's cool. And God, how I love Perry's voice!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2017, 07:20:11 AM »

You are that young, Stadler?!? ;)  :biggrin:
As you said, it brings us back to younger days, and that's cool. And God, how I love Perry's voice!

B.Lee

I was already old in the 2000's.  :)   

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #238 on: April 19, 2017, 08:18:04 AM »
The list of rock singers that had power, a beautiful rich tone, and angelic range is very short.

Mercury
Tate
Glover

>>>But Perry was arguably better than any of those three in their and his prime, and he was able to sing with such soul on top of that. Sam Cooke's influence shined in Perry's voice, and still does.

Even when you consider guys such as Dio, Halford, Dickinson, Kiske, and a lot of the metal guys, they simply didn't have that sort of powerful, rich tone (and that takes nothing away from any of them, they probably would agree). The list is so short, and Perry honestly led the way, at least in my opinion.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »
I would probably put him at the top of that list as well.  But whether he is or isn't the "top," there's no disputing that he belongs on that short list.  (and that isn't just the beans and ham talking)

Online devieira73

« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
Glover, Corey Glover from Living Colour, right? If so, I'm glad he's on that list. Great and a very versatile voice!
All of them are my top 4 too, and, maybe, with Perry at nş 1 - it's not the case of him be "better", but he's my favorite. On a Journey's side note, I like a lot the Journey CDs without Perry, specially Generations and Revelations.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:19:57 AM by devieira73 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Generations and Revelations.

I liked Generations a lot.  Revelations, on the other hand, I did not.  The stuff on disk 1 wasn't memorable at all.  And the re-records left a bad taste in my mouth, especially the re-record of Faith in the Heartland on disk 1, which there was NO need to do at all.  Eclipse, on the other hand, is perhaps my favorite post-Frontiers album.  There were definitely a few misses on that one, but plenty of really solid tunes as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2017, 11:39:10 AM »
I love both Revelations and Eclipse, about the same. Both great albums, and among my favourite Journey albums. The re-records made sense on many levels for them, and I enjoy those too, even though I'll usually defer to the originals these days.
Generations I don't really like at all, except Faith in the Heartland. Arrival was better imo (and Higher Place is one of my absolute favs from the band), but neither are close to the Arnel albums for me personally.

And you know what other Augeri era song I absolutely love? Remember Me, from the Armageddon soundtrack. Not even gonna apologize.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2017, 11:51:55 AM »
I like Generations, and Faith in the Heartland is the best song there.

Revelation can take a flying leap, especially the "remakes" disc.

Haven't listened to Eclipse.  Not a fan of Pineda.

Online devieira73

« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »
Generations only flaw IMO is bad production. I love the "a bit more" harder edge on it and that all of the band members sung at least a song on the album. It would be incredible with Arrival's or Eclipse's production.
I think Revelations is a lot on pop side and more predictable Journey's style, but I think the songs are great. Turn Down the World Tonight is one of my favorites Journey's ballads.
I like Eclipse, but I still don't know what really think about this album. Apart from the pre-Perry era, I think that's the most different Journey album for sure, very hard rock in a way they never done before. But I guess, for my tast, I like Journey more when they sound with its signature sound.