Author Topic: The Journey Thread  (Read 66694 times)

Offline emtee

Re: The Journey Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
I'm not really a big fan of Arnel, but the last album was pretty good. 

Same here.

But whatever happens with the band in the future, I don't see Perry rejoining.  Yeah, it could happen.  But the thing is, by all accounts, he can't sing anymore.  At all.  You could doctor it up all you like in the studio, but it would be atrocious live. 

But then again, Joe Elliott, so...  :dunno:

...and if for some reason it did, the band would have no problem telling Arnel to piss off.  Yes, it's a little disrepectful, but Iron Maiden and Judas Priest had no problem doing the same thing.  You can't blame them, look at what happened with both reunions.

All true, but you left off the most obvious point:  Schon and Cain are total mercenaries.  They'd do it just for the $$$.  :lol

I used to think the same thing but when I saw the Arnel documentary and found out they made him a full member I was shocked.
They manager even said he gets 1/5 after expenses  just like all the other members. I thought that was very gracious of the band.

btw currently spinning Captured - Dixie Highway

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »
Steve Perry would fracture this.

*Waits for Kev to get the pun*

I don't get it. ???

Damn!  I thought you saw Journey Behind The Music.  Journey was moving on after Perry backed out of the Trial By Fire tour and in late 98 the got Augeri and in that show Steve complained about another singer by stating "Don't Fracture this thing " meaning Journey's legacy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »
Ah, thats right. I have seen that BTM, but I had forgotten about him saying that. :facepalm:

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
Schon is set to release a new solo album in a few weeks, called SO U. He teamed up with Castronovo and Mendoza again, forming what he has described as a 70['s power trio. Jack Blades might as well be an honorary member of the group, he cowrote most of the songs, apparently. No real lead singer, the three of them share the duties, and the first single really shows it as Schon and Mendoza switch back and forth with the lead vocals.

I really like what's going on with his first single, What You Want: https://youtu.be/OBwFb3aYXnw

Also has a preview up of the instrumental track that is more typical of Schon: https://youtu.be/x-vf8QmI5Z0

Though... :lol at the video. It certainly does capture that 70's vibe Schon has alluded to. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »
I'm not the least bit excited about that, but I'll check it out when the whole thing can be streamed. I don't see it being my kind of thing at all from what I have heard so far, though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
It's been discussed a little bit on the melodic rock thread, and I'm excited for this album. Exactly the style I was hoping for, and one of my more anticipated albums so far this year.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2014, 01:24:42 AM »
I just found out that Steve Perry got up on stage with some band and performed a few songs, including Open Arms, and Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'. Here's a vid-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vD3nsua_s

They played the songs WAY lower in key, and his voice was still breaking up on the higher notes (which weren't high at all), but in the lower range, his voice still sounds very nice, and he still has stage presence.

I think he should definitely be recording and touring some new music, but after seeing this I'm even more sure than before that he should never be in Journey again. He couldn't pull it off.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2014, 06:39:28 AM »
Nice article. I liked Perry's comments all around. But no matter how many times both sides put down the baseless rumours, people will still talk about it. That kind of thing never stops.

If he hasn't sung much in the past 20 years, he might get some of that range back by performing more regularly. It would be a shame for him not to record any more music. What was his last good album? I don't follow his solo stuff etc outside of Journey.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2014, 06:43:24 AM »
For The Love Of Strange Medicine is worth getting Blob.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2014, 06:45:06 AM »
Hm it's from 1994. It doesn't sound too '90s does it? That's getting into dangerous territory for my musical tastes. :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2014, 06:46:07 AM »
For The Love Of Strange Medicine is a classic for me and has some of Perry's best recorded performances. No skips front to
back, every song is stellar.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »
Hm it's from 1994. It doesn't sound too '90s does it? That's getting into dangerous territory for my musical tastes. :lol

Nah............you'll be right.  Think along the lines of the Shortino Back On Track album.  His voice was getting a tiny bit scratchy relative to his peak but still very strong.

Try this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TaSuWUdKCU
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2014, 06:51:37 AM »

Nah............you'll be right.  Think along the lines of the Shortino Back On Track album.  His voice was getting a tiny bit scratchy relative to his peak but still very strong.

Try this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TaSuWUdKCU

Oh yeah, it sounds like it's in '90s denial. I'll check it out. Is there anything a bit heavier on the album, or is this indicative of what to expect for the rest?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2014, 06:53:46 AM »
I'd say that's toward the heavier end of things but to be fair that chorus is heavier than a lot of Journey and certainly his debut solo album with Oh Sherrie etc.....  if you're a fan of his voice I'd recommend it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2014, 06:56:41 AM »
I just started listening to the album now. I'll report back with my thoughts. I'm sure it can't be worse than Raised on Radio and Trial By Fire.

The production isn't great, but I like the sound of his voice on it. It's a little grittier and huskier at points, in a good way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »
You Better Wait Blob. ;)

Cool Album.  I saw him on that tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
For The Love Of Strange Medicine is worth getting Blob.

Didn't do much for me but I hated RoR. It was never going to rock, that's not what Perry is about, but it was too soft for me.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
Always like For the Love of Strange Medicine. Never once reminded me of Journey though. Excellent album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »

For The Love of Strange Medicine is a great album. Some of Steve's best vocal work, in my opinion. As others have stated, though, don't go into it expecting Journey style songwriting.

As for his return to the stage with The Eels, I'm not surprised at all by his diminished range, but he's still got the unmistakable, soulful tone, and can still deliver a song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2014, 04:34:02 AM »
Such a weird pairing to jump onstage with The Eels.  The Eels are so eclectic.  I do like their stuff it's just a difference in style from Journey.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2014, 05:39:28 AM »
I'm a fan of Eels, so I'll use this opportunity to say that I liked Steve's performance of an Eels classic It's a motherfucker quite a bit.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2015, 10:02:04 AM »
Schon has a new double album, Vortex, coming out featuring Steve Smith, his long time solo collaborator on keyboard Igor Len, and Jan Hammer.

He has two tracks out, El Matador and Tortured Souls. El Matador appears to be one of those release as a single just because it is reasonable length, solid but maybe not representative of the album. Tortured Souls, though, emphasizes much of what Schon does so well, meandering and passionate,great track.

El Matador: https://m.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6546329/neal-schon-el-matador-track-the-vortex-album-exclusive-premiere

Tortured Souls: https://www.unlock.fm/3du

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »
Entire Vortex album is up for streaming: https://www.teamrock.com/news/2015-06-15/neal-schon-solo-album-vortex-in-full

Getting close to finishing my first listen, and this is easily superior to his last instrumental album, The Calling. Not going to judge it, yet, but I could see this proving to be up with his best solo efforts. Absorbing music.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
Omar Hakim will be Journey's drummer for the next two months. Would be happy to see this become a permanent move, honestly (...and Rolie replacing Cain, please). Not expecting it, though.

https://www.facebook.com/journey

This is happening because Castronovo was charged with domestic abuse for the second time. With as much attention as that gets recently you have to wonder if he's done with the band no matter the circumstances.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
Omar is a killer drummer.  Killer!!!

Saw him with Sting and wow, just wow.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »

Saw him with Sting also (and later Vinnie Colaiuta with Sting, also killer drummer) and Omar Hakin is really, really good, but I don't know if he fits in Journey.

And regarding Schon's solo albums, I listened to some snippets from the new one. They sounded nice but didn't really convince me. I always think that Schon is better in a band situation where he isn't the sole leader.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »
This is the second time they've hired Omar Hakim, you'd assume something must work with him and Journey, if nothing else between he and Schon. Apparently he'd been hired for the Raised on Radio tour but fell victim to the Perry vs Schon thing. By my book, that's a great sign for him. Oversimplification, but Perry/Cain push the pop/r&b vibe while Schon/Rolie push the rock/fusion vibe.

And regarding Schon's solo albums, I listened to some snippets from the new one. They sounded nice but didn't really convince me. I always think that Schon is better in a band situation where he isn't the sole leader.
Disagree here. I tend to prefer Schon being given a lot of freedom. His two best solo albums thus far are probably Electric World and I on U, both of which are somewhat free form guitar formed around basic building blocks (listen to his Timeless Motion). At his best he gets this great striding, emotional feeling into the music. My wife describes it as great music for long drives, which is pretty apt.

I feel as though Vortex is likely one of 'those' albums for Schon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2015, 02:50:54 PM »

Saw him with Sting also (and later Vinnie Colaiuta with Sting, also killer drummer) and Omar Hakin is really, really good, but I don't know if he fits in Journey.

Yes, I saw the Ten Summoner's Tales Tour as well.  Vinnie is even better.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2015, 11:29:53 PM »
Omar Hakim will be Journey's drummer for the next two months. Would be happy to see this become a permanent move, honestly (...and Rolie replacing Cain, please). Not expecting it, though.

NO.

I hope they get Castronovo back. Not only a killer drummer, but an incredible voice.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2015, 12:18:28 AM »
He's also been pretty pedestrian in Journey. although Eclipse was better for him. He provides a strong vocal support for the band, but he feels restrained in drumming. Smith, and to a lesser extent Dunbar on Infinity, were better at creating simpler but interesting drumming.

His value has been live in Journey, not in the studio. Soul Sirkus: World Play is a great example of how Castronovo can get bored and bog an album down. They replaced all of his drums with Donati and rereleased the album, what a world of a difference it made for the better!

Talented guy, no question, I won't deny that. I just don't think Journey has been a career highlight for him.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/06/30/journey-drummer-deen-castronovo-in-jail-for-rape/

Journey drummer Deen Castronovo is now being held without bail in the Marion County Correctional Facility in Oregon for charges that include rape.

The 50-year-old drummer was first arrested on domestic violence charges on June 14, and he was released on bail, but now more charges have been added, and according to the Marion County’s inmate roster he is back behind bars.

Castronovo is accused of assault, unlawful use of a weapon, rape, sexual abuse and coercion, among other things. He has been barred from having contact with the woman he allegedly assaulted.

Looking an awful lot worse than it originally seemed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
That's too bad.

Maybe Mike Portnoy will be available.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »
That's too bad.

Maybe Mike Portnoy will be available.

:clap:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »

NO.

I hope they get Castronovo back. Not only a killer drummer, but an incredible voice.

This "no" is nowhere near big enough. Deen's vocal spots were the highlight of the night for me when I saw them back in 2009.
To have this element of the band removed would be a huge blow, in my opinion.