Author Topic: networking help  (Read 876 times)

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
networking help
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »
So I have a system where I take the incoming verizon line to the linksys router. From there, I have two lines going out to wall jacks which then are attached to netgear bridges that the computers attach to. A third bridge is connected directly to the router with a cable not from a wall jack. This third one stopped working this morning for no good reason. I tried switching bridges to see if there is a hardware issue but nothing seems to be wrong. Netgear simply does not flash any attachments from the linksys or any other device. Any ideas?
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: networking help
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
So, Basically they all work if you plug the to the wall outlet but if you try them directly into the router they don't work? Or is it happening with only one of them?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
pretty much, one is closer to the router and needs to be there to deliver to the computers near it, the rest are far away so they can reach the far side of the room.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
OK, since you said you already troubleshooted for hardware problems lets concentrate on other things. Is the switch receiving an IP address from the router? Do you have the DCHP Service on in the router or is it off?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:15:29 PM »
the router light doesn't light up when i hook up the switch, so i assume there is no communication.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:35:03 PM »
Ok. Can you check the settings on the router to check the DCHP settings and also see if the router shows what devices are connected to it. If it does check whether it is showing the switch or not.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:40:20 PM »
it only shows that dhcp is enabled for 50 devices, we run around 8 computers.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:19:23 PM »
OK. So, I will need some more information on what is happening. Could you check if the computers that are connected to the switch have an IP address? Could you check all the IP settings (dns servers, default gateway, subnet mask) in one of those computers.

Also, besides the light not turning on, what other things are currently not working?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:31 PM »
all computers have floating ips i think. the light switches on for those working switches to one side of the room, the other side triggers no light up or any network connection so i assume the light is accurate on whether there is connectivity. not much else i can think of to be honest, it was working one day, non responsive only on one side the next day.