Author Topic: Hawking Says "There is no God. Heaven is a fairy tale."  (Read 21734 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Re: Hawking Says "There is no God. Heaven is a fairy tale."
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »
They are making absolute statements about things that they have minimal data on. Making a definitive statement either way is premature. Never mind from a scientific standpoint, there is no reason whatsover to even address questions like the existence of god.

Absolute statements maybe I will concede to that. However if there is even the question of the existence of god or gods, science is the only thing to address it. God is supposed to exist (to some) and to be the creator and science is the study of all in existence. God falls exactly in the realm of science. So far it is not looking good for the claims of religions.

To be addressed scientifically, a question must a) present a coherent definition of the concept that is being investigated and b) must be falsifiable. The question of god's existence fails in both these respects.

Let me say first I agree with your points

A general god did it and masked everything to fool us into thinking it was natural is of course impossible. An arbitrary god will of course be impossible to disprove or prove. To disprove the god you need to merely disprove the religion or claims of the divine being. Once you have eliminated a sufficient amount claims of divine interaction. The god affectively becomes dead.

So if there is no divine intervention, no real trace of it's existence, there is no reason to worship it or pay any mind to it whatsoever. In this case science could not prove nor disprove it. We would just continue on like we are now, investigating existence from a realistic stand point. Where the evidence points us.

So really all that matters is proving people wrong. lol.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:41:11 AM by El JoNNo »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
Well...actually, sort of, yeah.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »
Here's a good summation of the issue:

https://www.science20.com/science_20/blog/much_ado_about_hawking-79018

So Stephen Hawking doesn't believe in Heaven.  This is apparently a big deal.   It's not that he is wrong, he is most likely right, though that the nature of faith is belief in defiance of any evidence so that doesn't matter, the important question is why anyone cares.

Everyone in the public has heard of Stephen Hawking, he is quite famous, but for what?  I can't find a single thing where he has been correct - it's not like we have experimental evidence for his idea on how black holes emit radiation, we just don't have a better answer, which sounds a lot like religion.  Most recently, he basically gave up and endorsed M-theory, which is a delightfully anthropomorphic hypothesis about fundamental physics but has a number of competitors so it tries to consume them all in a questionable framework.   Hawking is not solving any mysteries any time soon and The Grand Design basically seemed to be phoned in, theoretically. 

When he wrote A Brief History of Time, which is a terrific book, he made a metaphor about a theory of everything, writing "It would be the ultimate triumph of human reason – for then we should know the mind of God."

Did atheists suddenly give up on atheism because he wrote that?   Not at all, so why any of them are rushing to list Hawking as some sort of sage endorsement when he says there is no Heaven is beyond me.    If Hawking came out and endorsed Mitt Romney for U.S. president in 2012, would it change any votes?   

Stephen Hawking is to physics what Stephen Jay Gould was to biology - here is John Maynard Smith, Emeritus Professor at Sussex,  on Gould, by way of reviewing Daniel Dennett’s 1995 book, Darwin’s Dangerous Idea:

"Because of the excellence of his essays, he has come to be seen by non-biologists as the preeminent evolutionary theorist. In contrast, the evolutionary biologists with whom I have discussed his work tend to see him as a man whose ideas are so confused as to be hardly worth bothering with, but as one who should not be publicly criticized because he is at least on our side against the creationists."

So it goes with Hawking; to many, he doesn't have to be right, he just has to be on the same side.    A paleontologist can't be the preeminent authority on evolutionary biology any more than a well-versed theoretical physicist can be an authority on theology. 

Alex Berezow at RealClearScience says Hawking is arguably as well-known as Einstein and laments that Hawking might be better known in the future for insulting religious people with quotes about fairy tales than his excellent early insights in physics.    I don't agree, Einstein's later career was dismal and he was also cited by the religious and atheists for saying various things for and against religion, but he is best known now for his early work.    Let's hope the same happens with Hawking.

One previous Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge said "the Supreme God exists necessarily, and by the same necessity he exists always and everywhere" while another, who   received a Nobel prize in physics,  delved into the supernatural and numerology and was still a member of the Vatican's Pontifical Academy of Sciences along with being a famous scientist.    If some questions were too big for Newton and Dirac to be considered authorities, it is unlikely Hawking can be considered one any time soon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
I think I basically said that about 70 posts ago.  I was just more blunt and potentiall inflammatory about it.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »
Yet another reason why Hawking cannot be taken seriously.

+1

the only man that has ever lived on this planet that I believe to be smarter than hawking is Einstein. he believed the exact opposite as hawking.

tbn
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
Well, it's his opinion.  Usually, opinions are only taken seriously if one happens to agree.  If someone's controversial opinion is not in agreement with the popular majority, then it must be wrong.  I disagree.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »
Well, it's his opinion.  Usually, opinions are only taken seriously if one happens to agree.  If someone's controversial opinion is not in agreement with the popular majority, then it must be wrong.  I disagree.

I agree. His opinion is no less correct or incorrect than yours or mine. Similarly, his opinion is no more important than yours or mine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2011, 04:38:52 PM »

I agree. His opinion is no less correct or incorrect than yours or mine. Similarly, his opinion is no more important than yours or mine.

as is hawking's.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Online Adami

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »

as is hawking's.

Huh? That's who I was talking about.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2011, 04:49:21 PM »

as is hawking's.

sorry man, i thought you meant einstein. still, the same point is made.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »

Really?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »

as is hawking's.

sorry man, i thought you meant einstein. still, the same point is made.

I know, I just made it.

Really?

On heaven? Yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2011, 05:25:19 PM »
Yet another reason why Hawking cannot be taken seriously.

+1

the only man that has ever lived on this planet that I believe to be smarter than hawking is Einstein. he believed the exact opposite as hawking.

tbn
To be fair, there are people in history that were far more intelligent than Hawking; he's definitely one of the better living physicists, but his importance has been a bit exaggerated. It's almost criminal that most people only seem to think of Einstein and Hawking when asked about "smart people," while some of history's most important figures are virtually unknown to the public (Newton for more than the silly apple anecdote, Bohr, Planck, Fermi, Feynman, Heisenberg, Schrodinger).

Just me ranting. On topic, it is his opinion, and he's not wrong for having it.

EDIT: Also, Einstein's belief's were a bit too ambiguous to classify as being "the exact opposite of Hawking's."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:38:03 PM by Bonham »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »

Really?

On heaven? Yes.

I think the opinion of someone who's famous, even if they are not a well-respected and read scientist, carries more influence than my opinion or yours.  How could it not?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »

Really?

On heaven? Yes.

I think the opinion of someone who's famous, even if they are not a well-respected and read scientist, carries more influence than my opinion or yours.  How could it not?

Oh I wasn't measuring importance by relevance, but if you are then I guess you could be right. However, his statement won't change anything. Theists won't suddenly abandon their beliefs or anything. Atheists will just be like "YEAH!" which happens often enough anyway. So no, I wouldn't say his opinion on heaven is all that important. Now if the Pope declared that heaven is a fairytale, that would be much more interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »
Well he's already declared Limbo doesn't exist.  It's the next logical step.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Well, it's his opinion.  Usually, opinions are only taken seriously if one happens to agree.  If someone's controversial opinion is not in agreement with the popular majority, then it must be wrong.  I disagree.

WAIT

this isn't something you can have an opinion on. Either God exists/heaven exists, or they don't. Hawking is either right or wrong. Just because we don't know if he is right or wrong doesn't make what he is saying an opinion. I'm sure he would agree that this is not his opinion - he believes it to be true, and a belief in what is absolutely true far transcends an opinion.

The first half of your statement is just silly, but I do agree that Hawking's belief is not more important than anybody else's just because his IQ is higher.

Online Adami

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »
Beleifs about the unknown are opinions. Opinions are thoughts and judgments. I don't see why its silly to say that beliefs are opinions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
It is not my opinion that God exists. I believe that it is a truth that God exists.

It is my opinion that my ex-girlfriend looks better with her hair tied back. Her opinion was otherwise. Neither way is true or untrue.

It is not my opinion that John Coltrane plays out of tune. It is a fact. I've heard plenty of times "oh, that's just your opinion -- it sounds fine to me". That person is wrong.

Two opinions about an issue of subjective matter can co-exist peacefully.

Two beliefs about an issue of truth/untruth cannot. One person will be wrong (regardless of whether or not either person knows what in fact the truth is).

Let's say a shirt is red. I say "it is my opinion that the shirt is red." You say "it is my opinion that the shirt is blue." You are wrong and I am right, but that is obvious.

Let's say God exists (or doesn't exist). If two people disagree about what they believe, one of them is wrong, like I said before, regardless of whether or not either person knows what in fact the truth is.

Here is what I'm saying is silly:
person 1: "It is my opinion God exists!"
person 2: "It is my opinion that God doesn't exist!"
both agree that they are both equally right and equally wrong and it really doesn't matter! yay! we've gotten nowhere!
I say that is silly.

Two blind men are talking. One believes that Earth is flat, and the other believes that it is spherical (or close). Neither actually knows the truth but that doesn't change the fact that one of them is right, and one of them is wrong.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:31:12 PM by mrjazzguitar »

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
Stop arguing semantics, it has nothing in the slightest bit to add to the thread. Even though I disagree with you, I'll give up because....who really cares?

Stephen Hawkings beliefs are not any more important than yours or mine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2011, 10:31:28 PM »
The way I see it is lay-persons who are atheists think something like this:

"well, the world's most famous (and thereby, in their minds, best) scientist believes there is no god, and so he must be right, because he is a scientist and scientists make these kind of assessments based on fact"

That isn't my view; I concur with alot of what has been said in the thread re: its an opinion. But the lay-person, or disengaged person, makes judgements based on what they are fed.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Online Adami

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »

"well, the world's most famous (and thereby, in their minds, best) scientist believes there is no god, and so he must be right, because he is a scientist and scientists make these kind of assessments based on fact"

That isn't my view; I concur with alot of what has been said in the thread re: its an opinion. But the lay-person, or disengaged person, makes judgements based on what they are fed.

But they're Alrerady atheists. It's like the pope claiming something, only Catholics are going to care. Nothing the Pope says will say will convert an atheist to a theist, and nothing Hawking says will convert anybody into an atheist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »
Stop arguing semantics, it has nothing in the slightest bit to add to the thread. Even though I disagree with you, I'll give up because....who really cares?

Stephen Hawkings beliefs are not any more important than yours or mine.

Of course it is adding to the thread. It seems that an issue in the thread is the idea that this is his opinion, and I am responding to that (and do the original post for that matter).

I just think people need to be careful to not to say someone is wrong when they just have a differing opinion, and people need to not be so scared of saying they believe someone is wrong, flat out.

We are in agreement about the relative insignificance of Hawking's opinion. :)

Online Adami

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »
Nevermind.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »
Nevermind.

thanks for the response!

Online Adami

« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »
Nevermind.

thanks for the response!

I did a reply, but the whole belief/opinion thing is just not interesting, so I edited it to say nevermind.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Riceball

« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »

But they're Alrerady atheists. It's like the pope claiming something, only Catholics are going to care. Nothing the Pope says will say will convert an atheist to a theist, and nothing Hawking says will convert anybody into an atheist.

That's my point though; they seize on his comments with a "haha suckers I was right all along!" kind of reaction.

Online Adami

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2011, 10:55:37 PM »
Yes, but so what? I mean, why does that really matter? Doesn't everybody do that at an opportune time?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Riceball

« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2011, 11:15:47 PM »
You keep reposting what I'm trying to say in a much more direct way lol.

Online Adami

« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2011, 11:32:07 PM »
You keep reposting what I'm trying to say in a much more direct way lol.

Oh sorry, I'll stop. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
100th post in the thread, therefore God exists.

But yeah. It's his belief/opinion, but it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. And it's not really news, either.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »

So Stephen Hawking doesn't believe in Heaven.  This is apparently a big deal.
   It's not that he is wrong, he is most likely right, though that the nature of faith is belief in defiance of any evidence so that doesn't matter, the important question is why anyone cares.

I've only ever seen it be a big deal to theist. I have honestly only ever heard it briefly mentioned by atheists when he first wrote the book. Of course other may have different experiences. Appeals to authority regarding an unknown are useless, people who use them are not very good at debate.

Everyone in the public has heard of Stephen Hawking, he is quite famous, but for what?
I can't find a single thing where he has been correct - it's not like we have experimental evidence for his idea on how black holes emit radiation, we just don't have a better answer, which sounds a lot like religion.

Or we have observation and mathematical equations. Just the stuff we have been using to figure out everything else in the universe. Oh and Hawking has done this

Quote from:  Wikipedia

Stephen William Hawking, CH, CBE, FRS, FRSA (born 8 January 1942)[1] is an English theoretical physicist and cosmologist, whose scientific books and public appearances have made him an academic celebrity. He is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts,[2] a lifetime member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences,[3] and in 2009 was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States.[4]
Hawking was the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge for 30 years, taking up the post in 1979 and retiring on 1 October 2009.[5][6] He is now Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at the University of Cambridge. He is also a Fellow of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and a Distinguished Research Chair at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario.[7] He is known for his contributions to the fields of cosmology and quantum gravity, especially in the context of black holes. He has also achieved success with works of popular science in which he discusses his own theories and cosmology in general; these include the runaway best seller A Brief History of Time, which stayed on the British Sunday Times bestsellers list for a record-breaking 237 weeks.[8][9]
Hawking's key scientific works to date have included providing, with Roger Penrose, theorems regarding gravitational singularities in the framework of general relativity, and the theoretical prediction that black holes should emit radiation, which is today known as Hawking radiation (or sometimes as Bekenstein–Hawking radiation).[10]

Most recently, he basically gave up and endorsed M-theory, which is a delightfully anthropomorphic hypothesis about fundamental physics but has a number of competitors so it tries to consume them all in a questionable framework.   Hawking is not solving any mysteries any time soon and The Grand Design basically seemed to be phoned in, theoretically. 

Somehow by Hawking now endorsing a new point of view than he once held this makes him less credible? I can think of one competitor and that Quantum Loop Gravity, other than Google yielded nothing. Now maybe I didn't search properly but I think "M-theory competitors", "String theory competitors" and "M-theory contradictions"  is not bad.

So fucking what if he does not solve any mysteries for the rest of his life. That says nothing of the work he has already done and his overall contributions to science and science education. Religion contributes nothing to the understanding of anything. This guy is trying really to degrade then dismiss Hawking.

When he wrote A Brief History of Time, which is a terrific book, he made a metaphor about a theory of everything, writing "It would be the ultimate triumph of human reason – for then we should know the mind of God."

Physicists have to stop using the word god to describe the universe. I hate this so much, any physicist will confirm that they are referring to the majesty of the universe. Hawking would confirm, so would Einstein (if he were alive) and Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krauss, Neil Tyson etc...

Also Hawking wrote this
Last lines. Hawking later wrote: "In the proof stage I nearly cut the last sentence in the book... Had I done so, the sales might have been halved.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Did atheists suddenly give up on atheism because he wrote that?   Not at all, so why any of them are rushing to list Hawking as some sort of sage endorsement when he says there is no Heaven is beyond me.    If Hawking came out and endorsed Mitt Romney for U.S. president in 2012, would it change any votes?   

No atheists did not because not believing in god does not hinge on his opinion. If the sentence was making a logical argument for the existence of a creator, then yes maybe some would become theists. Some atheists might be listing Hawking as a "sage" endorsement because it is in a very small way convincing. Many people will say "hey if so and so's opinion is this then maybe I should look into it.". Religious people do this all the time and most of the time when it comes to science are stretching the truth. 

Stephen Hawking is to physics what Stephen Jay Gould was to biology - here is John Maynard Smith, Emeritus Professor at Sussex,  on Gould, by way of reviewing Daniel Dennett’s 1995 book, Darwin’s Dangerous Idea:

"Because of the excellence of his essays, he has come to be seen by non-biologists as the preeminent evolutionary theorist. In contrast, the evolutionary biologists with whom I have discussed his work tend to see him as a man whose ideas are so confused as to be hardly worth bothering with, but as one who should not be publicly criticized because he is at least on our side against the creationists."

I know nothing of Gould's work; but if I gather anything at all from the quote from Dennett. Hawking is not comparable in that his ideas are not confused and he is generally admired by the scientific community. Again this guy writing this article is trying really hard to make Hawking look bad.

So it goes with Hawking; to many, he doesn't have to be right, he just has to be on the same side.    A paleontologist can't be the preeminent authority on evolutionary biology any more than a well-versed theoretical physicist can be an authority on theology. 

A quick google search yields that Stephen J Gould IS an evolutionary biologist. Hawking is a physicist they study reality, as Hawking sees it a god is not part of that reality.

Alex Berezow at RealClearScience says Hawking is arguably as well-known as Einstein and laments that Hawking might be better known in the future for insulting religious people with quotes about fairy tales than his excellent early insights in physics.    I don't agree, Einstein's later career was dismal and he was also cited by the religious and atheists for saying various things for and against religion, but he is best known now for his early work.    Let's hope the same happens with Hawking.

The same will happen, no question.

One previous Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge said "the Supreme God exists necessarily, and by the same necessity he exists always and everywhere" while another, who   received a Nobel prize in physics,  delved into the supernatural and numerology and was still a member of the Vatican's Pontifical Academy of Sciences along with being a famous scientist.    If some questions were too big for Newton and Dirac to be considered authorities, it is unlikely Hawking can be considered one any time soon.[/quote]

Newton did not know much of anything about the universe as we know it now. Newton is a poor example. As for Paul Dirac he once said this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dirac
I cannot understand why we idle discussing religion. If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality. The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination. It is quite understandable why primitive people, who were so much more exposed to the overpowering forces of nature than we are today, should have personified these forces in fear and trembling. But nowadays, when we understand so many natural processes, we have no need for such solutions. I can't for the life of me see how the postulate of an Almighty God helps us in any way. What I do see is that this assumption leads to such unproductive questions as why God allows so much misery and injustice, the exploitation of the poor by the rich and all the other horrors He might have prevented. If religion is still being taught, it is by no means because its ideas still convince us, but simply because some of us want to keep the lower classes quiet. Quiet people are much easier to govern than clamorous and dissatisfied ones. They are also much easier to exploit. Religion is a kind of opium that allows a nation to lull itself into wishful dreams and so forget the injustices that are being perpetrated against the people. Hence the close alliance between those two great political forces, the State and the Church. Both need the illusion that a kindly God rewards—in heaven if not on earth—all those who have not risen up against injustice, who have done their duty quietly and uncomplainingly. That is precisely why the honest assertion that God is a mere product of the human imagination is branded as the worst of all mortal sins.[39]

I think I basically said that about 70 posts ago.  I was just more blunt and potentiall inflammatory about it.  :lol

And it was just as wrong as the guy who wrote the article.

On the other hand the average lay person who are theist use scientists in this manner.

"Newton and other scientist from hundreds and sometimes over a thousand years ago, believed in god so that automatically cancels any opinion of modern day scientists who clearly know leagues more than past scientists."

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
I understand what mrjazzguitar is getting at that opinion and belief are not defined the same way.  As a Christian our belief in God is not an "opinion", it is an absolute truth like gravity, blue sky, and taxes.  When something is labeled an opinion it connotes an aspect of relativity or subjectivity upon the subject of the opinion.  But God is not considered relative to the beholder of the opinion, He is absolute in his being and whether or not we believe in his existence has no bearing on Him.  Therefore you either hold the belief, not opinion, that He exists or that He doesn't.

It may seem like semantics but it does speak to an issue that is widespread when discussing faith.  So many people want God to be a 'relative' being, one that we personally define then hold as some type of personal truth, and everyone's truth is just as valid as the next.  This way of defining God is kind of like having an 'opinion'...it can change at any time and is tolerant of all other 'opinions'.  But this is not how Christians view God, so saying it is an opinion seems not quite right.

Does this make any sense or did I argue in circles?

Online Adami

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
Well considering that different christians view certain aspects of god in different ways.....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2011, 05:00:45 AM »
Two blind men are talking. One believes that Earth is flat, and the other believes that it is spherical (or close). Neither actually knows the truth but that doesn't change the fact that one of them is right, and one of them is wrong.
If neither actually knows the truth, then they are both opinions.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.