Author Topic: Campaign to get DT on Conan O'Brian  (Read 24177 times)

Offline TheMadgician

Re: Campaign to get DT on Conan O'Brian
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 06:48:36 PM »
The FB page is definitely starting to pick up. But the Tweets seem a bit scant. Anyone have some ideas on how to get those going a bit more?

Offline M-boogie

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
JP Liked the campaign.

sensationalist

Sorry, i got confused i thought JP liked it but it was the other way around and i wasn't trying to exaggerate it was just an honest mistake.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:48:33 PM by M-boogie »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »
The FB page is definitely starting to pick up. But the Tweets seem a bit scant. Anyone have some ideas on how to get those going a bit more?
We need to get people coordinated here on the forums regarding the tweets and keep spreading the word on facebook. In theory, the more we spread the word on facebook, the more we can bet on people joining the party on twitter. It wouldn't hurt for the facebook page to suggest certain hashtags to use for everyone to concentrate on.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »
We need to get people coordinated here on the forums regarding the tweets and keep spreading the word on facebook. In theory, the more we spread the word on facebook, the more we can bet on people joining the party on twitter. It wouldn't hurt for the facebook page to suggest certain hashtags to use for everyone to concentrate on.

ive been reminding everyone that the official hashtag is #DTforCoco

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »

ive been reminding everyone that the official hashtag is #DTforCoco
Good.  :tup
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
I posted some of the info on the first drummer doc youtube vid, But for some reason putting the link to the facebook page didn't work.
Could one of you guys give it a shot to see if it works?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2011, 09:16:11 PM »
I'm in the Conan Open Thread right now. I've posted the link a couple times, but the thing moves so fast, I don't think anyone's really going to see it.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:46 PM »
I posted some of the info on the first drummer doc youtube vid, But for some reason putting the link to the facebook page didn't work.

what exactly do you want to link on the fb page?

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »
Unless I misremember how many fans we were at yesterday, I think we've jumped by close to 100 today.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2011, 07:31:30 AM »
I hope this happens.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2011, 08:23:13 AM »

what exactly do you want to link on the fb page?

What I wanted was to post a link of the fb page on the youtube comments of the drummer doc vid , but it wouldn't let me for some odd reason  :-\

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
Perhaps try tinyurl?

Offline Demolition

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
I would love to see them on Conan but I think the possibility of that happening will depend on the length of the songs on the new album.  If they are all long then forget it.  They won't go on the show and play an old song when the reason you go on shows like this is to promote your new material.  Does anyone have any idea of how long Conan's show alots for a song?  Most likely it will have to be a least 5 minutes. 

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2011, 09:48:13 AM »
I think it's about 5 minutes. Maybe 6. I think the taping of the show is much longer. So I mean, it would all come down to editing. I'm sure they could get on the show. It's just how much of the whole show would be shown.

Offline TL

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »
If they do play something from the new album, I'm guessing there will be a few to choose from that would fit that time requirement.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
I would imagine so. I'm trying to make contact with some group on Twitter. See if we can get more people helping out.

Offline elmatto

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
I'd love to see it. But I have a feeling they wouldn't be a terribly large draw for the show. The majority of the populous doesn't even know who dream theater is. At least, that's what I gander from my experiences going through life. Every time someone asks me about my favorite band and I mention DT....they always get a puzzled look on their faces. There's only been like...3 people I've ever talked to out in the world that knows who they are. Not to mention their songs are much longer than the average radio band. I'm not sure what they'd play on the show.
plz read my webcomic<br /><br />https://www.drunkduck.com/Bally_Who/index.php

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2011, 05:13:29 PM »
Average person? Perhaps not. But it would pull in the DT crowd. Which would be considerable. This would also expose a whole new audience to Conan, which would possibly, if not probably, get plenty of them hooked, thus increasing his viewership.

On the other side of this coin, there's the people that haven't even heard of DT. That's an entirely new crowd getting exposed to DT. People that might not have ever heard of them otherwise. Now, if they play their cards right, this new crowd might be thoroughly intrigued. However, unless they get a great interview, that's mainly going to come down to song choice. They'll need something that represents the band very well, while still having a broader appeal. And besides all that, they'll need something to help dispel that myth that they're all just music geeks that have no feeling in their music.

The Conan Facebook has about 1.5 million fans. Let's say of these, 300,000 like them. Of those 300,000, let's say about half like them enough to buy the new album when it drops. This would be a very good thing.

The DT facebok has about 1.8 mill. If even a quarter of those become new dedicated Conan viewers, that'd also be fantastic.

From my point of view, everyone wins here. Then again, I'm playing the optimistic dreamer at the moment. So take it as you will.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »
Conan is known for having lesser known artists come and play on his show.  Having DT on wouldn't be too far fetched.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
I have posted links of the facebook page to the JP, JR & JMX fanpages as well as the DT page.

Still no luck posting the links on youtube.  :-[

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »
Try tinyurl. Youtube might have a block on facebook links. If all else fails, just tell people to search the page title and tell them about the Twitter hash tag.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »
Try tinyurl. Youtube might have a block on facebook links. If all else fails, just tell people to search the page title and tell them about the Twitter hash tag.

Youtube is only letting me post without links for some reason? Never spammed on any vids so I have no clue what's up.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
Hmm, that's pretty odd. If that's the case then, just tell people to search "Campaign for Dream Theater to play on Conan" on Facebook.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
In my experience, YouTube doesn't let you put any links in comments.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »
Well, shit. We'll make it work just fine though, I"m sure. Also if someone manages to add JLB on Facebook and manages to catch him on Facebook chat, could be helpful. Ask him if they'd be interested and give him the link, etc.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »

Youtube is only letting me post without links for some reason? Never spammed on any vids so I have no clue what's up.

Ever get anything working on youtube, bud?

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »

Ever get anything working on youtube, bud?

I posted info about the fanpage but no link. Looks like a couple a people liked it but not enough to get it to the top.
I also posted the #DTforCoco hashtag and did the same for JP, JR, JMX & MM's pages on facebook.

Things seem to be going steadily so far, Let's hope it keeps going  :smiley:

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
Which video was it? I'll vote it up frequently. You can vote up a comment a couple times a day, even your own.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
At first I read the title as "Campaign to get DT on Conan the Barbarian"

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2011, 10:08:26 PM »
CONAN WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?

THE SOLDIERS IN THE WINE!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2011, 12:36:54 AM »
While I understand the enthusiasm and dedication to get DT on Conan, but wouldn't it make more sense to try for Jimmy Fallon?  JF is in New York and CB is in California.  JF is WAY more music-centric and has a lot of cool musical guests.  Back when Conan was in NY, before The Tonight Show, it made sense but I would think now JF would be the one to try and petition.  I think the audience DT fan turnout would be much higher in the NY show also.

Anyway, if they do get on Conan (or Jimmy), it'll be GREAT!  And nice work with the FB campaign.  :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2011, 04:11:55 AM »
Yeah, but Conan's kinda funnier.  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2011, 06:44:53 AM »
Conan has certainly banked more comedy cred by being consistently funny over the years, but Fallon's show is pretty funny.  But what would be more likely than DT playing Fallon would be one of the members sitting in with The Roots; I could totally see that happening, especially JR or JP.  Things like that happen a lot on Fallon's show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
Which video was it? I'll vote it up frequently. You can vote up a comment a couple times a day, even your own.

The first episode of the Spirit Carries On drummer documentary.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »
JP with The Roots is the most probable, and "sort of" happened.  I started watching a show a couple of months ago and in the first wide shot there's this guitarist who looks like ToT-era JP playing a MusicMan and I SWEAR it was JP and I started freaking out!  It took a while before there was a close shot and it turns out it was Steve Lukather but not being familiar with him I have to be forgiven for thinking it was JP initially.  I hadn't seen JP in a while so I thought/hoped he went back to the ToT look but he didn't.

Honestly, I used to love Conan, but I don't even watch him anymore.  I have a DVR so it's not the time slot.  I just find his guests lame, Andy is lame, and his comedy just doesn't do it for me.  Jimmy Fallon + The Roots + Higgins + guests is a total package.

JF did an entire show with just Springsteen.  He does music week themes (Bob Marley Week was most recent).  He does live jams and performances with special guests all the time.  Phil Collen and even Yngwie have sat-in with The Roots.  Jimmy knows music and really appreciates all styles and genres.

Is there a DT on Fallon FB campaign anywhere?  Maybe I should try and get one of those going as the more we can get the word out the better.

PS - Ferguson SUCKS.