Author Topic: Campaign to get DT on Conan O'Brian  (Read 24179 times)

Offline TheMadgician

Campaign to get DT on Conan O'Brian
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:11:27 AM »
I know several people have mentioned them getting on Conan. I brought up (in this thread) the idea of actually campaigning to get them on, to which some people were interested in.

So I was thinking. Ever since Conan lost the Tonight Show and the whole Team Coco thing started, he's kind of lived by Twitter. So, theoretically, if we can make a lot of posts about how we'd like to see DT on Conan, he might actually go for it.

This is going to take a fairly large amount of people, we're going to want to make it look like there's a lot of interest and excitement. We might even want to bring this idea to other DT and DT related forums.

I've got an idea on the gist of what we should say, but I'm not sure on what exactly we should say. I'm thinking something with mentioning the recent line up change and the new album coming out. Maybe mention that the new album is going to be big and he should definitely get them on. We might also be able to appeal to the fact that Conan is, himself, a guitarist.

There are a few things I"m not sure of yet though. I don't really know how to use Twitter. I guess we just put an @ before their account name? But then, how do we get things to trend? Should we all use the same message, or would it be more effective if we all made our own posts? Should we each only post one? I mean, we don't want to spam, but would a repeat post be ill advised?

I think there's a lot of potential for this. If we can work this out, we might make this happen.

TL;DR - Let's come up with a good message to tweet and tell Conan to get DT on his show.

UPDATE: We've got an official Facebook fanpage, thanks to ChrisDTM. The page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Campaign-For-Dream-Theater-to-Play-on-Conan/201345086569215

We also have an official thread on the Conan fanpage thanks to ishak540m, found here: https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=108905269168364&topic=1822

The official tag for twitter posts is #DTforCoco
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:52:30 PM by TheMadgician »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Campaign to get DT on Conan O'Brian
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »
I'm a twitter moron... can you do a twitter petition or something like it?  Or how about FB?  It would be cool to see for sure!  Timing's right too...we campaign for 5 months and the new album will be out... :yarr

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »
His user is "ConanOBrien".

Is this how it's usually done in getting artists on his shows?  Cause if not, I don't really see the point of it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:45:13 AM »
Well, I'm sure that fans don't normally get bands on shows like this at all.  But it would be neat to attempt.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Mladen

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
Being a huge Conan fan, I love this idea. If a lot of you end up sending him messages and he responds, I'll make a twitter account and send him a message too.  :smiley:

Offline yesrushdt

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »
Maybe they'll get on the show if LaBrie, Petrucci and Rudess promise to get their goatees/beards shaved off. ;) ;) ;)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »
@ConanOBrien You guys should totally get @DreamTheater to appear on your show! #DreamTheater

Maybe something like that? 

Online T-ski

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
I'd love to see them on Conan.

Weren't they supposed to be on the CBS Morning show a few years back, but refused to condense their song to fit into the time allotted? 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
@ConanOBrien You guys should totally get @DreamTheater to appear on your show! #DreamTheater

Good start, but we would want to say @DreamTheaterNet or some random dude will be really surprised. Also recommend something more like #DTforCoco because it sounds more like a campaign.

I've got a few followers with Ytse Times, so I can pass the word along there. The most effective way to do it would be to have lots of people do it at the same time. You're probably not going to get anything to trend because as we've discussed, DT isn't mainstream and it takes a lot of people to suddenly all talk about the same topic.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »
Anything's possible..

Start a hashtag for the campaign. #DTonCONAN or something more creative..

Start a facebook page for it.

Lots of conan staff are on twitter. I follow almost all of then and I'm @chadtoney. Tell them about the campaign.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »
His user is "ConanOBrien".

Is this how it's usually done in getting artists on his shows?  Cause if not, I don't really see the point of it.

I don't think its exactly common. But Conan cares a lot about his internet, primarily Twitter, followers. They helped him a lot during the whole Leno fiasco. So I imagine if we could create enough buzz, something could definitely happen.

Good start, but we would want to say @DreamTheaterNet or some random dude will be really surprised. Also recommend something more like #DTforCoco because it sounds more like a campaign.

I've got a few followers with Ytse Times, so I can pass the word along there. The most effective way to do it would be to have lots of people do it at the same time. You're probably not going to get anything to trend because as we've discussed, DT isn't mainstream and it takes a lot of people to suddenly all talk about the same topic.

#DTforCoco is a great idea. I honestly don't know really anything about Twitter, and it seems like you do. So if you're on board for all this, I think we'll definitely be needing your help.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:21:13 AM »

Offline Buckethead

• Poopstring
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »
I can't remember if it was Conan or Jimmy Fallon, but one of them had Mastodon on so it's not impossible to get metal acts on the show by any stretch.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 02:17:51 PM »
I can't remember if it was Conan or Jimmy Fallon, but one of them had Mastodon on so it's not impossible to get metal acts on the show by any stretch.

It was on Jimmy Fallon while promoting Crack The Skye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOV4I2uMtDM&playnext=1&list=PL2052E05E792508F4

Offline jsem

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »
Yeah, I remember seeing Mastodon on some talk show. That was epic and uncalled for.  :metal

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »

Weren't they supposed to be on the CBS Morning show a few years back, but refused to condense their song to fit into the time allotted? 

It wasn't a time constraint.  They wanted DT to do a stripped-down acoustic set.  Which DT (or at least MP) didn't think would be a fair representation of the band's music.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »
No
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »

It wasn't a time constraint.  They wanted DT to do a stripped-down acoustic set.  Which DT (or at least MP) didn't think would be a fair representation of the band's music.
Ouch. Mistake.

1. Anyone who went to find anything more by them would quickly discover what the band's music actually sounded like.
2. An acoustic version of PMU, say, is still gonna sound like PMU. An acoustic rock song won't suddenly make the band sound like balladeers. If there's something people like in a stripped down version, there's something that many of those viewers will like in the fully fledged version.
3. Their reputation is half of what precludes them radio play. They've been unfairly saddled with the preconception that they can't play with emotion. Not only would they prove the stereotype wrong, but an acoustic arrangement would even go as far as to emphasise the emotional bits. Put them on the map as talented songwriters, as well as technical musicians.
4. Flood gates would open a little. Demonstrating that one chat show's been willing to take a punt proves that someone's recognised a market, giving other broadcasters perhaps a little confidence in their abilities.
5. The fans would like it, and so a (rare!) acoustic performance would garner a lot of hits on YouTube, again demonstrating not only the presence of a market, but also encourage further publicity. Every hit for "DT Pull Me Under Acoustic" would generate extra publicity for the CBS Morning Show, and - while we're not a very well united fanbase, and would struggle to organise a gangbang in a brothel, we're very good at watching videos.

Would've been brilliant from a publicity perspective, and for the fans to boot. Not wise to refuse it, I'd say.

Ah well.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
lets do it

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 05:05:29 PM »

Ouch. Mistake.

1. Anyone who went to find anything more by them would quickly discover what the band's music actually sounded like.
2. An acoustic version of PMU, say, is still gonna sound like PMU. An acoustic rock song won't suddenly make the band sound like balladeers. If there's something people like in a stripped down version, there's something that many of those viewers will like in the fully fledged version.
3. Their reputation is half of what precludes them radio play. They've been unfairly saddled with the preconception that they can't play with emotion. Not only would they prove the stereotype wrong, but an acoustic arrangement would even go as far as to emphasise the emotional bits. Put them on the map as talented songwriters, as well as technical musicians.
4. Flood gates would open a little. Demonstrating that one chat show's been willing to take a punt proves that someone's recognised a market, giving other broadcasters perhaps a little confidence in their abilities.
5. The fans would like it, and so a (rare!) acoustic performance would garner a lot of hits on YouTube, again demonstrating not only the presence of a market, but also encourage further publicity. Every hit for "DT Pull Me Under Acoustic" would generate extra publicity for the CBS Morning Show, and - while we're not a very well united fanbase, and would struggle to organise a gangbang in a brothel, we're very good at watching videos.

Would've been brilliant from a publicity perspective, and for the fans to boot. Not wise to refuse it, I'd say.

Ah well.

Perhaps if we can manage to get them on Conan they'll be able to recapture that lost publicity.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 05:10:39 PM »
i think a good place to start is a fbook page, then we can lightly spam the DT and mangini fbook pages with a link

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »
Good Job Ishak!  I signed!

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
i think a good place to start is a fbook page, then we can lightly spam the DT and mangini fbook pages with a link

Already posted on the official DT fbook page. Posting the message on the Ytse Times or Prog Archives forum, Even on the official DT Youtube videos would do wonders to help our campaign!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »
i think we should have our own facebook fan page as well

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »

Make it so #1............ :yarr

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
I'm wondering how many posts we can make before it's considered annoying/spam.

There's the obvious "@ConanOBrien You guys should totally get @DreamTheaterNet to appear on your show! #DTforCoco"

But could we do the same on each of the page twitters for all the members of DT? Something like:

"@PirateCJS you guys should totally go on @ConanOBrien #DTforCoco"

One of those for each member, plus the main one for DT itself. Then maybe do the same on Facebook. Raise awareness for the campaign through YtseTimes and Youtube. We might be able to make this happen.

Definately, and we can keep with the "DT for Coco" for that as well

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »

QFT  :yarr

Anyone around here knowledable about making these fan pages? Not sure how exactly to do it.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »

Anyone around here knowledable about making these fan pages? Not sure how exactly to do it.
Me neither, but I know twitter very well. So I can help there if necessary.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »

ill do it

what should the name be officially?

'Dream Theater for Conan'  ?

not sure what to do

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:06 PM »
Just tweeted to @teamcoco and @conanObrien and it seems its starting to get big
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:29:44 PM by chrisbDTM »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
everyone join and tell your frieds, etc.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 08:04:08 PM »
@ the one n only robwebster:
as much as it might have been a mistake, maybe it was a mistake for the show to make such an odd demand.

really, the band shoulda took the slot and agreed to the terms, only to pull a nirvana on the show/network and launch into they is heaviest, most un-acoustic song.

but really really, solitary shell woulda made for a great song on (inter)national TV.